FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Doubles Rules Clarification Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubles Rules Clarification Please
    Posted: 05/15/2012 at 8:32pm
Questions on serving in doubles play.  Clarification

1.  While serving in doubles, can the ball be struck outside the side lines, (and behind the end line of course)?    I thought I read a few years back that in wheelchair, para, and doubles.....the ball could not be struck outside the side lines.  Did that change now?

2.  I understand the service change with team A to team B with the players changing service to receiving at both ends, but what about who serves at the start of the following games after the first game?

For example.....Team A with player 1 and 2.  Team B with player 3 and 4. 
It's the last point of the first game in the match, player 1 from team A serves to player 3 of team B and the game is over and on to the next game.  Now after switching ends, team A has the start of the service.  Can player 1 be the first server in the second game or does it have to be player 2 for this next game?   

3.  In the last possible game of the match, when one team reaches 5 points, both teams switch ends and the team that was serving at the 5th point now must change service order to start the next point, but the receiving team players do not change order of receiving.  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help updating me with correct doubles play.

Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 9:49pm
yes the ball can go off the side , as you say only a special rules for wheel chair players

any of the players in the next team to serve can serve first

after the first team gets to 5 , the next server does not serve to the same person
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 9:55pm
I agree with smackman.
In 1, not only can the ball go off the side, it can be struck off the side as well (as long as it's behind the endline).
See below for 2 and 3.

2.13.04  In each game of a doubles match, the pair having the right to serve first shall choose which of them will do so and in the first game of a match the receiving pair shall decide which of them will receive first; in subsequent games of the match, the first server having been chosen, the first receiver shall be the player who served to him or her in the preceding game. 
2.13.05  In doubles, at each change of service the previous receiver shall become the server and the partner of the previous server shall become the receiver. 
2.13.06  The player or pair serving first in a game shall receive first in the next game of the match and in the last possible game of a doubles match the pair due to receive next shall change their order of receiving when first one pair scores 5 points. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 9:40am
Thanks guys.   For some reason at one point awhile back I thought I had read in the rules that the service for doubles had to be made inside the sidelines. 

Was that true at any point and now it has changed?   I told some people that you cant serve outside the sidelines in doubles at my club for the past 2 years....I need to go correct this with them as several of us are playing doubles in the US Open. 

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Thanks guys.   For some reason at one point awhile back I thought I had read in the rules that the service for doubles had to be made inside the sidelines. 

Was that true at any point and now it has changed? 

I don't think so. Maybe your memory mixed up sidelines and center lines?
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 8:44am

Questions on serving in doubles play.  Clarification

1.  While serving in doubles, can the ball be struck outside the side lines, (and behind the end line of course)?    I thought I read a few years back that in wheelchair, para, and doubles.....the ball could not be struck outside the side lines.  Did that change now?

2.  I understand the service change with team A to team B with the players changing service to receiving at both ends, but what about who serves at the start of the following games after the first game?

For example.....Team A with player 1 and 2.  Team B with player 3 and 4. 
It's the last point of the first game in the match, player 1 from team A serves to player 3 of team B and the game is over and on to the next game.  Now after switching ends, team A has the start of the service.  Can player 1 be the first server in the second game or does it have to be player 2 for this next game?   

3.  In the last possible game of the match, when one team reaches 5 points, both teams switch ends and the team that was serving at the 5th point now must change service order to start the next point, but the receiving team players do not change order of receiving.  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help updating me with correct doubles play.

1. As long as the ball land diagonally opposite, the serve is valid
2. 1st match - team A player 1 serve to team B player 3, 2nd match B player 3 serve to team A player 1
3. Correct
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 11:43am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Was that true at any point and now it has changed? 

I don't think so. Maybe your memory mixed up sidelines and center lines?

No such rule that I have ever known about also no rule on where the person has to stand to receive the serve
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic