Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Videos of MYTT Members Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 7:56am
For fans of Rich... I just decided that on this particular day, my topspin game had no chance in hell and started exchanging.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 12:16pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP351Rcfwfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efgVOPe2s7c
I know that is an older videos, some errors i have corrected, but if you have any recommendation... I will appreciated that...

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2015 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

For fans of Rich... I just decided that on this particular day, my topspin game had no chance in hell and started exchanging.

So am I totally wrong (ie the rule has changed) or is Rich Dewitt doing an illegal serve with his FH? He does NOT move his left arm after he throws the ball up. I know this is a fun club match, but if anyone served like that to me in a tournament I would ask for an official to umpire my match.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 6:57am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

So am I totally wrong (ie the rule has changed) or is Rich Dewitt doing an illegal serve with his FH? He does NOT move his left arm after he throws the ball up. I know this is a fun club match, but if anyone served like that to me in a tournament I would ask for an official to umpire my match.

Not totally wrong, but some of the visual effect is the camera angle in this case.
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 8:55am
Rich turn his body square up to the table before contacting the ball in front of him.  I believe I would see the point of contact on his serve even from the next table.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Rich turn his body square up to the table before contacting the ball in front of him.  I believe I would see the point of contact on his serve even from the next table.

That for me is the most important point, but some people do focus (and the rules say so) on moving the arm immediately.
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 9:35am

That for me is the most important point, but some people do focus (and the rules say so) on moving the arm immediately.

True, but with people who serve with body square up, if you ask them to remove the arm, they will easily comply, and it would make no differences to the outcome. People who lower their shoulder and serve close to their body is the different story.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 9:46am

True, but with people who serve with body square up, if you ask them to remove the arm, they will easily comply, and it would make no differences to the outcome. People who lower their shoulder and serve close to their body is the different story.

I have found that when someone makes a habit of something, asking them to change it tends to throw off something about their game if asked to do it consciously.  It's often more psychological than technical.  But in any case, other than my general issues returning serves, I have no issues returning Rich's serves and definitely not because of arm position.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/20/2015 at 9:47am
Cybershape Carbon
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 10:21am
I guess we all have our little pet peeves. When a player "serves out of their hand" ie does not throw the ball up 6 inches I really do not notice-I watch the contact. But the not removing the arm  like that is something that bothers me. I am not one to "be that guy" and ask for an umpire for any little grievance. In fact I have never asked for an umpire for any tournament match. That said, Rich is not some neophyte-he surely knows or should know that he should remove his arm.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 12:14pm
Nextlevel,

Thanks for posting your match with Rich.

Starting at 6:18, Rich gives you two deep serves at your elbow and you miss both as you lean to the side to try and play a forehand.  On the second one, you do what most backhand dominant players do when the ball comes at their elbow - you swing too vertically and lose your forward lean, lifting the ball off the table.  Do you normally try to handle serves at your elbow by moving left and playing a forehand, or is this something new you're trying since rebuilding your FH?

Edited by Ringer84 - 05/20/2015 at 12:16pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Nextlevel,

Starting at 6:18, Rich gives you two deep serves at your elbow and you miss both as you lean to the side to try and play a forehand.  On the second one, you do what most backhand dominant players do when the ball comes at their elbow - you swing too vertically and lose your forward lean, lifting the ball off the table.  Do you normally try to handle serves at your elbow by moving left and playing a forehand, or is this something new you're trying since rebuilding your FH?

Nah, from my internal perspective, that's not what happened at all.

The first serve I tried to loopkill like topspin even though it was a dead ball but I didn't have any lift/margin and my contact was wrong.  The second, I tried to counterhit with touch (if you notice, it wasn't a vertical swing, but an open racket angle with a closed followthrough with zero topspin lift that sent it long - in fact, the first stroke had a far larger vertical follow through than the second).

The first stroke was really an attempt to loop - the second was to stay consistent with how I had decided to play the match.  Let's just say that other than aggressive service return, Rich has seen the last rally loops he will see from me.  It's going to be mostly forehand counterhit and backhand counterhit/topspin.  I can play that game pretty well and I wasn't going to do it.  But after the first game, I just realized and accepted that primarily as a looper or topspinner, I will not be able to beat Rich anytime soon if ever.  But primarily as a counterdriver, it's not impossible.  I just have to do it.  Shrink my forehand counterhit against him and just be able to hit it to the forehand wide.
Cybershape Carbon
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 4:30pm
Ooooh! the language.
Anyway, nothing much in Dewitts serve to warrant a fault call. But NL's serve.....need some adjustment there.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Ooooh! the language.
Anyway, nothing much in Dewitts serve to warrant a fault call. But NL's serve.....need some adjustment there.

Someday...
Cybershape Carbon
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

Nextlevel,

Nah, from my internal perspective, that's not what happened at all.

The first serve I tried to loopkill like topspin even though it was a dead ball but I didn't have any lift/margin and my contact was wrong.  The second, I tried to counterhit with touch (if you notice, it wasn't a vertical swing, but an open racket angle with a closed followthrough with zero topspin lift that sent it long - in fact, the first stroke had a far larger vertical follow through than the second).

The first stroke was really an attempt to loop - the second was to stay consistent with how I had decided to play the match.  Let's just say that other than aggressive service return, Rich has seen the last rally loops he will see from me.  It's going to be mostly forehand counterhit and backhand counterhit/topspin.  I can play that game pretty well and I wasn't going to do it.  But after the first game, I just realized and accepted that primarily as a looper or topspinner, I will not be able to beat Rich anytime soon if ever.  But primarily as a counterdriver, it's not impossible.  I just have to do it.  Shrink my forehand counterhit against him and just be able to hit it to the forehand wide.

Nextlevel,

After re-watching the video, you are correct about your follow thrus and I understand what you mean. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the specific reasons as to why you missed, because I was wrong. My bad.

I think the bigger issue here, however, is that you are leaning  to play  forehands against two deep serves that were not all that particularly fast.  While you seemed to be able to get away with leaning in rallies (and actually hit some quality shots), I think that leaning to play forehands on the return of serve is a bigger issue, because like you mention above you also have to be able to read a wide variety of spins at the same time.  Trying to lean to the side and return a serve would be a problem for anyone. The good thing I see though is that your stance is relatively wide, which always helps against balls at the middle.

I know that your mobility is limited by your bad knees and that some leaning is going to be inevitable- which is why I think you are going to have to become better at quickly judging the depth and location of incoming serves.  Have you ever had your coach  do a drill where he mixes up fast serves at your elbow with short serves to your BH or FH, giving you a chance to work on your anticipation? I think it would help you tremendously.

USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2015 at 5:31pm
Ringer, that's a great point. To be honest, consistently trying to attack long serves is a relatively new thing for me, especially with my forehand and I am still trying to work it out. I used to push those serves or use my backhand to roll them, so as you pointed out and I said earlier, a lot of identity crisis stuff is in my game at the moment because of all the forehand training. In the past, I would usually move over and spin that ball with my backhand. But I should be reacting to those serves faster and with more precise aggression - I haven't found the right balance between using my forehand and my backhand (footwork doesnr help either).
Cybershape Carbon
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 4:30pm
Jonyer1980 enjoying his Big dipper.

https://youtu.be/ebgkyp9ScU0

https://youtu.be/XcBpRYZhO4Y

Edited by jonyer1980 - 05/24/2015 at 2:44am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Jonyer1980 enjoying his Big dipper.

https://youtu.be/ebgkyp9ScU0
It says "This video is private"!
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2015 at 5:03pm
FixedWink

Edited by jonyer1980 - 05/24/2015 at 1:49am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 3:51am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

FixedWink
I like your table. Never seen before. Look very nice. 

Edited by aroonkl - 05/24/2015 at 3:52am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2015 at 4:52am
I bought around 20 years ago, it was ittf approved table at that time. As far as i knew, Hanno had dissapeared but now they're back with new Hanno poly balls as well as some new stuff.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 1:42am
This is my match in the Arizona Closed Tournament open quarterfinals against the #1 seeded play who is 2380. We are on table 4 (the focus is on table 3 here) and I am the dude with the red headband. Our match does not start until 5:00.

OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:23pm
Matt Pimple, you have good control with the long pips (if that's what's on your BH). Your FH attack is a bit stiff, but not bad. Keeping your blocks low and short will set you up for the FH attack and you managed to do that often against a strong player. If you can limit unforced errors, you should achieve a 2000 level soon.
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2015 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Matt Pimple, you have good control with the long pips (if that's what's on your BH). Your FH attack is a bit stiff, but not bad. Keeping your blocks low and short will set you up for the FH attack and you managed to do that often against a strong player. If you can limit unforced errors, you should achieve a 2000 level soon.

Thanks heavyspin! Wink
I actually play with Dr. N ABS anti (a frictionless anti) on my bh, which gives good spin reversal on blocking topspin. I am focusing on improving my forehand as my coach says that bh is good enough for my level. We focus on more consistancy and spin.

My Feedback
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I actually play with Dr. N ABS anti (a frictionless anti) on my bh

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 5:19am
Illegal serves. Toss the ball.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 9:07am
Nice to watch, Matt.  I really liked how short you blocked in the first set and got in occasionally with the FH.

I attack much more with my FH but play similarly to you.  I use OX LPs--Grass DTecs on Immune OX blade, Adidas P7 boosted on the FH--but am having no joy with the new poly ball.  I'm getting half the reverse spin and none of the nice wobble I used to get with old balls on the pips.  My blocks and pushes are going long but without any bite to them. My question(s) for you:  How is the frictionless anti with the poly ball?  Is it a difficult transition from LPs to the frictionless anti?  Can you hit/push no spin/dead stuff with the fric'less anti?  Should I be tempted, this off-season, to make the change to fric'less anti?

Apologies!  (I was tempted to buy the Grizzly you were selling but someone beat me to it!)  Cheers!

Edited by kevo - 05/31/2015 at 9:07am
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 12:57pm
is frictionless Anti  ITTF legal?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

is frictionless Anti  ITTF legal?

Yes! All of the Dr. Neubauer antis are frictionless as well as the Der Materialspezialist antis and they are all legal.

My Feedback
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:13pm
What does it really mean frictionless? Is it " having little friction compared to other rubbers"? If so how little is "little"?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

What does it really mean frictionless? Is it " having little friction compared to other rubbers"? If so how little is "little"?

The anti is completely slick so that when you rub a ball over it you will not feel any resistance.

My Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
  Share Topic