Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Videos of MYTT Members Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>
Author
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 12:31pm
On the receiving end of Steves serves is not fun. Very spinny. I will get my revenge sooner or later...lol
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Sponsored Links

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Why so you so this kind of stuff, Steve?

Haha I've been having finger pains and an increasingly curved middle finger from playing penhold so much that I've contemplated switching many times.  Although mentally I couldn't take playing so badly against people I know I could easily beat with penhold, so I caved in and reverted back to my old grip.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

@steven, very nice services, scored a lot of points.

Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

On the receiving end of Steves serves is not fun. Very spinny. I will get my revenge sooner or later...lol

thanks guys Smile

Edited by schen - 03/24/2015 at 2:45pm

Dynasty / H3 / H3
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:49pm
Switch to the Xu Xin grip...works for him....LOL

But seriously, Xu Xins grips looks more comfortable that your grip. Your grip does look a little painful. 
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 2:55pm
That super deep and completely straight finger style is actually even more uncomfortable to me when trying it Confused.  I feel like a deep grip like his naturally makes me want to tighten up in general which is not good for my game...

And to this day I still don't understand how he can RPB so well with such little space left on his backhand with how long his straightened fingers are.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

That super deep and completely straight finger style is actually even more uncomfortable to me when trying it Confused.  I feel like a deep grip like his naturally makes me want to tighten up in general which is not good for my game...

And to this day I still don't understand how he can RPB so well with such little space left on his backhand with how long his straightened fingers are.

I guess he also changes his grip when trying to do RPB. The contact point is close to the edge of the blade.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 4:25pm

Need to remember that XX's blade is larger than normal to accommodate his longer fingers. With regard to his BH in general though, it has always perplexed me why his BH, as good as it is, is not quite as good as WH's. I have gone back to WH's grip with the idea that I need to explore more of how and why his BH works the way it does. It seems extremely difficult too replicate even for higher level players. None of the top PH players, including XX, seem to have captured a little bit of WH's magic. While on the SH side there seems to be more convergence when you include the recent change in ML's BH. 

I would go back to WH's grip as it is more comfortable
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 6:37pm

Haha I've been having finger pains and an increasingly curved middle finger from playing penhold so much that I've contemplated switching many times.  Although mentally I couldn't take playing so badly against people I know I could easily beat with penhold, so I caved in and reverted back to my old grip.
Steve, looks like you  have many years of playing left, so if you think SH will be more enjoyable it should be worth it to switch, unless you can't get SH coaching.  You might lose to some people under your level for a while, but they should understand you switched grips (if they know you).    Anyways your 5th game against Diana seems wrong.  Either she has a big crush on you or threw the game for some other reasonWink.  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 6:44pm
Tom,

I had the same thoughts initially until I remembered watching Steve serve to a 2700 player successfully. Rallies and third balls a different story but Steve outserced the guy.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:04pm

If you're srs about this, the two general paths to take are:

1. bridge burning. force yourself to learn everything right from scratch.
or
2. find commonality starting w/ grips (putting pressure on similar parts of handle), where you take basically the same shots either way except maybe pushing (even then practicing some rpb push isn't bad).

I started w/ 1., and gradually moved to 2. That's not a bad way to go since the greatest hurdle at first is a natural BH if you didn't start w/ smoothest RPB. (your rpb is alright but tends to switch bit late and starts high & wristy)

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:10pm

Tom,

I had the same thoughts initially until I remembered watching Steve serve to a 2700 player successfully. Rallies and third balls a different story but Steve outserced the guy.

Was this that one time at NJTTC?

Dynasty / H3 / H3
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Need to remember that XX's blade is larger than normal to accommodate his longer fingers. With regard to his BH in general though, it has always perplexed me why his BH, as good as it is, is not quite as good as WH's. I have gone back to WH's grip with the idea that I need to explore more of how and why his BH works the way it does. It seems extremely difficult too replicate even for higher level players. None of the top PH players, including XX, seem to have captured a little bit of WH's magic. While on the SH side there seems to be more convergence when you include the recent change in ML's BH. 

I would go back to WH's grip as it is more comfortable

WH despite the PH moniker more or less plays as a SH player from the beginning, he swings the compact BH identically to SH guys and extends the stroke at will. You can tell that's not how XX started w/ the way he tends to rotate the arm instead of "yanking" the racket straight fwd.
-
Worth mentioning I ended up w/ very similar WH BH stroke not due to any attempt to copy but that's just how it works out if you play w/ SH BH mechanics but PH grip.

Edited by AgentHEX - 03/24/2015 at 7:22pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 8:55pm
Some good vids schen Smile
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 11:38pm

Tom,

Was this that one time at NJTTC?

Yes, this match:

Cybershape Carbon
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:42am
vs. Zhao Gaoxiang...

no chance haha, but I'm very lucky he was having difficulty with attacking the plastic ball otherwise I would've barely posted 1 or 2 points per set Tongue

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:49am

vs. Zhao Gaoxiang...

no chance haha, but I'm very lucky he was having difficulty with attacking the plastic ball otherwise I would've barely posted 1 or 2 points per set Tongue

Yeah, after beating Chen Weixing with the plastic ball and despite practicing with lots of players.  Which was why he popped up your serves and let you attack...

Yes, I'm messing around a little but you clearly served well.    If you had 2300 strokes, more of the points would have been interesting.
Cybershape Carbon
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 7:02am
hahaha, some day.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:57am

hahaha, some day.

Don't undersell yourself.  Just learn to do some controlled topspins vs. hard to kill balls and it will happen.
Cybershape Carbon
takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 9:46am
nice, just saying, Artur should develop a slow turn over backhand, get out of a lot of trouble, better than a forehand fixation.
sharkcard
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2015 at 7:55pm

Playing for the first time in Taiwan!  This guy is probably at least 2100 USATT, and is a coach/organizer at the Taichung Ping-Pong Sports Hall here in Taiwan.  His backhand is anti-spin, and he has great touch for blocking with a frustratingly simple and deceptive backhand serve too.

Updates on my vacation in Taiwan and its table tennis scene here!:

Dynasty / H3 / H3
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 12:39am
Another NextLevel-HeavySpin battle - the first set makes this the most painful one yet...

Edited by NextLevel - 05/18/2015 at 12:39am
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 1:01am
Good vids Schen NL & HS
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 3:39am
NL versus HS -- what fun to watch!

It seems that Larry looks heavier than when I last saw him.  No more diets?

By the way, I think NL could have won that first game but he got tentative, instead of trusting in his backhand.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 4:33am
Benfb,

I have put about 3 months of serious work into my forehand. I just keep forgetting that without footwork, I have to remember what side is the real breadwinner. I think I get carried away sometimes with my forehand improvement and forget that it will not replace my backhand.
Cybershape Carbon
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

NL versus HS -- what fun to watch!

It seems that Larry looks heavier than when I last saw him.  No more diets?

5 years ago I considered myself a 2400 player in an 1100 body. Now I'm a 2400 player in a 600 body. I recently joined weigh watchers (on May 5) and it seems to work so far.
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I recently joined weight watchers (on May 5) and it seems to work so far.

Good for you - I hope you're able to stick with it. Out of curiousity, what are you main 'pitfalls' in terms of weight gain? I mean, what foods?
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 1:13pm
Quantity mostly, Pondus. Following a weight watchers suggestion, I made 4 meals and a couple of snacks from what would have been consumed in one sitting. As for a bad habit, the after meal TV watching and ice cream combo.

Edited by heavyspin - 05/18/2015 at 1:21pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 1:24pm
Ice cream... that's my achilles as well.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 4:40pm
Back to the match posted by NL. He showed me some nice forehands shots early in the match that I didn't expect he could do, and they looked repeatable rather than lucky shots. I was tempted to ask "where did you learn that, online from Australia?" but thought it could be considered poor sportsmanship to disrupt his concentration. So there are 3 ways I see to take away a forehand. Go fast to the BH, play short tight placement, or initiate my own attack. My attack was shaky the whole match so I mostly went with the other 2. I believe I have an advantage in the serve vs serve return game, so I just needed to stay level with him (pun intended) in rallies.    
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Back to the match posted by NL. He showed me some nice forehands shots early in the match that I didn't expect he could do, and they looked repeatable rather than lucky shots. I was tempted to ask "where did you learn that, online from Australia?" but thought it could be considered poor sportsmanship to disrupt his concentration. So there are 3 ways I see to take away a forehand. Go fast to the BH, play short tight placement, or initiate my own attack. My attack was shaky the whole match so I mostly went with the other 2. I believe I have an advantage in the serve vs serve return game, so I just needed to stay level with him (pun intended) in rallies.    

Shay2be said the same thing on Saturday in very similar words - he usually serves to my forehand until the technique breaks down.  This time he watched the technique, saw that it looked unusually correct, tested it a few more times to confirm what he was seeing, didn't notice any breakdown, and then decided to find a different way of scoring points. 

Serve and serve return... ARRRRGGHHH....

But my real bad luck was not to play you after you had played Rich or something like that...
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>
  Share Topic