Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga 2012 blades review!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 9:09am
Tabten5,

I have a friend that used to be sponsored by Yasaka too.
And also another friend from Butterfly and know another player by Tibhar.

Regarding Yasaka
What was the weight of your YE?
Do you remember?
My YE (cpen) is about 76grams.

BTW, Wang Hao was using YE for many years, I wonder how heavy his one was.
If it is less than 80grams, I think we can reply to people that think "Pro = heavy setup only" is not always the case.
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 9:09am
let's all calm down - and to ejmaster: the fault almost always is his who starts using the insults. If you had formulated your critical remarks politely (however directly and strongly you wish) then we would all be better off in these discussions.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 9:19am
Thanks Yogi_Bear!

I'm more of a looping-near-the-table kind of player and not so much on smash hit, so I guess the Avenger Carbon is just right for me for now. I think I do not yet possess the skill to fully utilize what the Sense 7.6 blade has to offer.  It still is a beatifully made blade, maybe I'll own one someday, not just now.
Any advance info what you would be reviewing next?

Thanks again Yogi_Bear
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 9:30am
EJMaster: Where can I find some video of you playing? You're always very active in reviewing various equipment and I would love to see your style and level of play. I've started a thread for this specific purpose and would love to include video of you:

Tabten5: Sounds like you're a good player - any video available of you to add?

Everyone else: add videos of yourself playing, please - it provides so much better of a perspective of "who is talking" when you review equipment and provide general table tennis advice.

Thank you. Smile
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 9:37am
knuckle_ball, im waiting for the all around classic carbon to come. stiga sent me the 3 blades first because the ACC was out of stock. I have other brands to review but it would not be in a stiga thread that i have reviewed
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Tabten5,

I have a friend that used to be sponsored by Yasaka too.
And also another friend from Butterfly and know another player by Tibhar.

Regarding Yasaka
What was the weight of your YE?
Do you remember?
My YE (cpen) is about 76grams.

BTW, Wang Hao was using YE for many years, I wonder how heavy his one was.
If it is less than 80grams, I think we can reply to people that think "Pro = heavy setup only" is not always the case.

Yasaka was a great sponsor during the mid to late 1990s (i.e. when they sponsored me) - my setup was classic (YE + Mark v M2 (FH) + Mark V (BH) + lots of speed glue), and the relationship was excellent. They sent me 4 rubbers per month, and made sure I had 3 YE (then the Gatien Extra) blades at the same weight at all times. All of my YEs were 80 grams. I still have one of them (I gave the other two away when I went to university and stopped playing.) I didn't try a great many blades back then, but for me the YE was the best speedglue-era blade you could get. I briefly flirted with the Overdrive, but it was too heavy and cumbersome for my tastes. That black handle sure was sexy, though...

As for the weight discussion generally, I'm not sure it matters terribly to me whether Waldner/Gatien/Guoliang/Liqin/whoever used or uses a lighter blade (although, by the way, the JO-shaped Waldner Sensos I used to see everywhere were about 80g.) It is simply what I prefer, and especially since a big wrist operation that I underwent in 2002 to remove a fast-growing ganglion. The resultant decrease in wrist strength and flexibility (owing to scar tissue) means I cannot play with a heavy setup, even if I wished to. 

Oh (and this is not a plug, but a friendly offer): if anyone lives in the UK and is interested in purchasing Yasaka equipment, I can get them 25% off the usual catalogue price of any product (blades, rubbers, balls, whatever), so do PM me if that would help.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Thank you. Smile

Thanks, Pondus. I don't have any videos at the moment, but I have just ordered a cheap tripod for my iPhone 4S, so I can record a summer league match or two (to see where I can improve.) As soon as I have done so, I'll post it. I think your video collection of users is a great idea - it puts reviews in context.

(P.S. has anyone used the iPhone 4S to record TT? Is it high enough quality to pick up the ball? If not, I'll have to buy a proper video camera. Bums.)
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Thank you. Smile

Thanks, Pondus. I don't have any videos at the moment, but I have just ordered a cheap tripod for my iPhone 4S, so I can record a summer league match or two (to see where I can improve.) As soon as I have done so, I'll post it. I think your video collection of users is a great idea - it puts reviews in context.

(P.S. has anyone used the iPhone 4S to record TT? Is it high enough quality to pick up the ball? If not, I'll have to buy a proper video camera. Bums.)

Yes, it gets the job done, but obviously video cameras will get a more clear video.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 3:38am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Knucle ball thanks. i think they have the same speed level but the 7.6 sense has a better feel than the AV Carbon. The Av Carbon felt stiffer due to the walnut and carbon combo but i like it because its not too fast and not too stiff. The 7.6 sense is actually a solid hitter's blade. The solidity of shots made and at the same time the great feeling of the ball upon impact really helps your game. The handle of the 7.6 sense is the most comfortable handle among the 4 new blades of stiga IMO. 

is not sense 7.6 a carbo 7.6 blade with new skin?
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 3:46am
i would like to see a review on the stiga all round carbon!
RSM Special Platinum T64
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 4:55am
bbkon, its a redesigned 7.6 carbo. the new 7.6 sense has nct and thick sealing on the blade head. its also heavier but its not suprisingly head heavy as the original 7.6 carbo
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 5:00am

bbkon, its a redesigned 7.6 carbo. the new 7.6 sense has nct and thick sealing on the blade head. its also heavier but its not suprisingly head heavy as the original 7.6 carbo

so it has  the same plies/wood
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 5:05am
yes it has

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 1:24pm
Hi yogi_bear,

thx for the pics and the review!

I'm considering to buy the Offensive Classic Carbon.

You say that the OCC is not for playing further away from the table. Why did you come to this conclusion? Because of its speed? And how would you compare the speed with e.g. the Rosewood or the YEO?

Thanks

---------------------

P.S. Considering showing a video of yourself (myself) playing, here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb5hE71gNN4

It's some selected points of a match against a friend about a year ago. It's not really representative for a real match because we know each others game very well and he has a very special kind of game. I'm the guy in black by the way.

---------------------

Edited by High_Arc - 07/13/2012 at 1:27pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 7:38pm
high_arc, even with carbon on it the occ is best until mid distance only because ireally felt the power of my shots lessen by half if im at least  6-8 feet from the table.
i would say the rosewood is faster but the occ is faster than the YEO(i only had a few hits with the YEO)

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2012 at 7:49pm

high_arc, even with carbon on it the occ is best until mid distance only because ireally felt the power of my shots lessen by half if im at least  6-8 feet from the table.
i would say the rosewood is faster but the occ is faster than the YEO(i only had a few hits with the YEO)

would be one of these blades good for short pips? 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2012 at 3:32am
bbkon, i think the OCC and maybe the ACC because its slower would be good for pips.. i have tried the 802-40 2.0mm on the 7.6 sense and its a bit faster than my taste

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2012 at 4:18am
tried the 7.6 sense again today. i gambed using a 2.0mm tenzone and tenzone sf. i had a hard time controlling the 2.0mm tenzone because it has been a long time since i last use it. when i used the tenzone on a xiom amadeus and adidas avenger 5, i had a hard time controlling the tenzone but when i placed it unto the 7.6 sense which is clearly a faster blade i was able to control it! 

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 8:51am
I played a full practice (4.5 hours) with the Stiga Rosewood XO last night. This is my review of it.

(Note on my play: I am a left-handed attacking player, with a strong forehand loop. I tend to punch and active block on my BH. Pushes are only used for service return. I play in the Premier division in my county, and was formerly ranked No 5 in England as a junior. Back then I used a YE + Mark V (drenched in speedglue.) I have been using a TB ZLF for over a year since my return to TT, and the XO is my attempt to seek an all-wood blade that satisfies my requirements in the modern, non-speedglue era.)

My XO is 80g, with a Legend handle. It's not head-heavy (the balance point lying closer to the handle than, say, a MEO (or YEO)), and owing to the head-size (155 x 150), it won't be head-heavy unless you put really heavy rubbers onto it (e.g. Tenergy.) Even then it's better than most blades. The craftsmanship is good, but not excellent - there are a few bumps beneath the NCT coating, and the edges are fairly rough in places. I'd say, overall, it's slightly below the finish of a Yasaka blade, and quite below that of a premium Butterfly blade.

I put Calibra LT Spin (Max) in black on the FH, and LT Sound 2.0 in red on the BH. I've played with these rubbers quite a bit before, on the Timo Boll ZLF, MEO and YE. My following remarks are primarily comparative, and especially in comparison with the TB ZLF, the blade I have been exclusively using competitively for the past year.

The XO has great touch. That is immediately apparent. Flicks and short pushes/service returns are excellent, because you get so much feedback from the blade. You know where the ball is going to go precisely. It is flexy and stiff - my perfect combination. The rosewood outer layer feels a lot like the koto on the TB ZLF, and that's a good thing.

Attacking close to the table, the XO shines. It has snap, and because it's fairly lightweight you can move the bat into position quickly. Blocks and active blocks against looping are excellent; the ball pings off the blade, sending it back with interest, with minimal effort. FH topspins are good, fast and accurate. BH punching is slightly weaker, however, and this was the first sign that not all was perfect with the XO. My punches lacked power, as compared to the ZLF (82g). With the same action, the ball had less power from the XO. This must be the effect of the Zylon in the ZLF. But this wasn't a deal-breaker at all, given the gains in touch. 

And then, my main game - attacking from mid-distance. It's here that the XO does not work for me. It simply does not have the power necessary. Playing against my usual practice partner (top county player), he was able to return almost every FH loop, even my supposedly devastating loop drives. He said that the ball was noticeably slower with the XO, and with less zip on the ball. When I switched back to the ZLF for comparison, he could return around 50% of my attacking loops. That is a significant difference. By the end of the practice session, the lack of power was very noticeable, and it also had a strange effect: although the setup was lighter than the ZLF setup, my arm was much more sore, and that's because I was having to put so much effort into killing the ball with the XO, and I was having to hit many more shots (because they were returned.)

So, that's the result. It means the XO is not for me, and I'm going back to the ZLF. I'm a mid-distance attacking player, and for me the XO lacks the power at that range as compared to the ZLF. If, however, you are a close to the table attacker/blocker, or an all-round player with a variety of shots (requiring good touch), the XO is a great blade.

And if anyone can recommend a an all-wood blade weighing approx. 80g that would suit my game, I'm all ears...

Edited by tabten5 - 07/23/2012 at 8:54am
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 8:59am
i was sure about the final tabten5 review. there is no miracle. the wheel was already invented. this is what it means no power in a blade. It is not a question of being fast.
the xo can be fast but with those parameters it is easy it lacks power so the final result is something like tabten5 describes in the review.

to a high level player facing powerful game this is not something to like. to an amateur playing his friends it does not matter.

besides the calibras lt do not favour having control. 

Edited by ejmaster - 07/23/2012 at 10:35am
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:48am
My practice partner has a Rosewood XO that weighs 79 grams with T05 on both sides.  It was interesting to compare it to an Old Stiga Alser offensive that I have been using lately (must have been made in about 1988).  The Alser blade I have been using is unusually thick for its breed, weighs about 85 grams, and also has T05.  I agree with tabten5's review in every aspect.  When we compared the new XO blade with the Old Stiga it is trying to recreate, both of us found that they have somewhat the same feel for short game (old blade is still better, though).  In other words, you can see that the XO is trying to recreate this feeling.   More significantly, the old blade is vastly superior at middle distance and beyond.  It actually has some finishing power.  Both blades flex, but they flex in different places.  Also the handle on the old one is much more comfortable for full sized males.  In addition, we agree with comments about finish on the XO.  It could be that the XO is simply too light, but I think there is more to it than that.  I personally don't know enough about how blades are made to know what it is.  I think part of it, though, is that the XO is too flexible at the neck -- it is simply to narrow there.  Also, I think maybe the middle ply needs to be a bit thicker.  But like I said, I am no expert on those things, I can only say that the XO is not succeeding in what it is trying to be.

Edited by Baal - 07/23/2012 at 11:48am
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 1:05pm
great review tabten5

in regards to a future blade, have you considered having Peter Freundlieb build something for you? He's building two blades for me atm

I wish we were in the same area, I'd be curious to see how you liked my most recent Expert, which arrived at 85.9 grams, and is now 85.0 after being dehumidified

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In addition, we agree with comments about finish on the XO.  It could be that the XO is simply too light, but I think there is more to it than that.  I personally don't know enough about how blades are made to know what it is.  I think part of it, though, is that the XO is too flexible at the neck -- it is simply to narrow there.  Also, I think maybe the middle ply needs to be a bit thicker.  But like I said, I am no expert on those things, I can only say that the XO is not succeeding in what it is trying to be.

I'm not entirely sure either, but my guess is that they have the thicknesses of the core and medial plies slightly wrong in the XO. One option would indeed be to increase the ayous core, but many people don't like a 6.0mm+ blade. I wonder whether the spruce plies need to be slightly thicker - that is the case on my MEO, and there is no lack of power there. I think it's also about headsize: 155mm is just not 'tall' enough. It needs perhaps 2mm more weight (plus rubber weight) behind it. For me, 157mm is the sweet spot (the MEO is slightly too tall for me). Increasing the XO's headsize, of course, would affect balance, so they would have to re-look at the XO's overall composition, and particularly the size of the hole in the handle. 
myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 1:44pm
There have been much reviews of Rosewood XO. I was particularly interested in the Offensive Classic Carbon review. Can someone please write about it.
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

great review tabten5

in regards to a future blade, have you considered having Peter Freundlieb build something for you? He's building two blades for me atm

I wish we were in the same area, I'd be curious to see how you liked my most recent Expert, which arrived at 85.9 grams, and is now 85.0 after being dehumidified

Thanks for the link. I don't know enough about his blades to know whether it would be right for me, so I doubt I will plump for it. As you know, I'm not a big purchaser of equipment, so I'd like to be decently sure before I purchase. I don't want to start experimenting. The Expert was an original contender before I finally decided on the XO, and it was discounted because of the 85g weighting. I really want something at 80g (my ZLF, at 82g, is allowed because it is very well-balanced - i.e. very non-head heavy.)

My other option, possibly, is a Violin, if I can source one that is light enough for me. Or I go back to my 80g YE, and attempt to get enough speed out of it.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 2:00pm
well, it's 85 grams at 5.5 mm and 160mm head... perhaps at 157mm and 5.3 mm it could fit the bill

i'll send you a pm about peter's work
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 3:06pm

I think it's also about headsize: 155mm is just not 'tall' enough. It needs perhaps 2mm more weight (plus rubber weight) behind it. For me, 157mm is the sweet spot (the MEO is slightly too tall for me). Increasing the XO's headsize, of course, would affect balance, so they would have to re-look at the XO's overall composition, and particularly the size of the hole in the handle. 

Some additional rubberweight (your current rubbers are leight I suspect) one or both sides could do the trick.
Shorter headsize blades sometimes need some additional rubberweight to become dynamic and have a good feeling with longer powerfull strokes (HD).  Same as large headsize tends to do better with lighter rubber. It,s sort of a balance between power and quickness you have with the setup all together (blade with rubber.s). Rubber affects the blade and vice versa.

With light rubber and short headsize combined making the stroke longer for more powerfull loops does nothing (or feels as doing not enough).

Some players use leadtape to bring the balance (setup) closer to the blade sweetspot. Somewhat heavier rubber (no matter what side) can do the same. That can be denser sponge, heavier topsheet or both.

Also it has this nano carbon thing and  a hard quality outerply. All together that can make it a bit sturdy for the first few sessions. From session to session this should improve gradually.

Edited by mercuur - 07/23/2012 at 3:11pm

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 3:08pm

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

great review tabten5

Thanks for the link. I don't know enough about his blades to know whether it would be right for me, so I doubt I will plump for it. As you know, I'm not a big purchaser of equipment, so I'd like to be decently sure before I purchase. I don't want to start experimenting. The Expert was an original contender before I finally decided on the XO, and it was discounted because of the 85g weighting. I really want something at 80g (my ZLF, at 82g, is allowed because it is very well-balanced - i.e. very non-head heavy.)

My other option, possibly, is a Violin, if I can source one that is light enough for me. Or I go back to my 80g YE, and attempt to get enough speed out of it.

Have you tried the STIGA Energy WRB? I tried one out with Skyline 3 Neo and it was actually pretty balanced. Maybe around 80G?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 3:09pm

As you know, I'm not a big purchaser of equipment, so I'd like to be decently sure before I purchase. I don't want to start experimenting.

i forgot to mention, having Peter make a 5 ply is only like 35 dollars, shipped
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Have you tried the STIGA Energy WRB? I tried one out with Skyline 3 Neo and it was actually pretty balanced. Maybe around 80G?

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it, and that's probably because it's WRB. I've never been a fan of overtly/very hollow handles.

If any recommendation can be Yasaka, so much the better, as that wouldn't cost me anything. Free is always good! (I'm more interested in getting the right blade, however, so any brand would be considered.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic