Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga 2012 blades review!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga 2012 blades review!
    Posted: 07/03/2012 at 1:55am
Finally got the AC Carbon after a long time of waiting for. Thanks to Stiga
*prices are based on www.pingpongonline.com

OC - Carbon Legend Flared
weight: 87 grams
Size: 150x157mm (i measured this against the rosewood xo and 7.6 sense it has a much longer blade head.
speed: off- to off
feel: medium stiff
Thickness: 5.4mm 
Rubbers used: calibra spin and magna ts 2.0mm
Price: USD 78

this is a very beautiful blade. it is very pleasing to the eyes upon closer inspection and i can see an improvement over stiga's manufacturing process. 

compared to the original offensive classic carbon, the OC-carbon is heavier. I weighed both and the original OC is 76 grams, the OC-carbon 87 grams

both have the same thickness at 5.4mm each.

the OC and OC-carbon side by side

The good:

Good looks - Stiga again has made a very beautiful blade. The contrast of its dark and light wood layers in the handle adds more attraction at first look. 

Speed - definitely faster than the original OC. its not a super fast carbon blade but fats enough to make powerful shots. The NCT and varnish added speed to this blade. This blade is good close to the table. 

Good feel - i think this is the OC-carbon's selling point. for those who love the OC's good feel will not get disappointed with this blade's feel. A little stiffer and harder than the OC's feel but still has a very good feeling upon soft and hard impact against the ball. 

Looping blade - very spinny loops are easy to perform on this blade. 

Balanced weight - although I still believe this has a hollow handle its not that head heavy compared to the original OC.

The bad:

a lil Rough on the edges and  handle - needs to be sanded on its handle and edges but its not much of a problem. i had to sand the wing part because it caused blisters to my hand.

not for playing long distance away from the table - considered as a close to the table blade. its effectiveness ends mid distance. 

Overall:

A balanced blade with great control for accuracy of shot placements over the table. Recommended for intermediate players and above who would like to have an extra touch of speed for their spinny loops and overall all around strokes

7.6 Sense Legend Flared

weight: 89 grams
Size: 150x156mm 
speed: off+
feel: stiff
Thickness: 6.3mm 
Price: USD 119

The new 7.6 sense has a redesigned handle and has thicker plies. The original 7.6 has 6mm only and the 7.6sense is 0.3mm thicker. 

the 7.6 sense is the fastest blade among the new 2012 blades by Stiga. faster than the Rosewood XO

even at 89 grams the 7.6 sense doesnt feel as heady heavy compared to the original 7.6 which i weighed at 86 grams.

The good:

Excellent speed - even though this is a carbon blade as advertised by stiga I still have to find where the carbon layers are. Its very fast. Faster than the tube carbo maybe at the level of a Tube Aluminum blade but with better control and feel.

Woody feel - if this is a carbon blade its good that it feels like an all wood blade! the woody feeling is a wonderful feedback upon contact on the ball. 

Solid shots - has solid shots especially on strong stokes. it gives added power to the stroke. 

Loop driving and smashing blade - for people who always opt to attack then this is a very good blade. If paired with a fast and hard bouncy rubber it gives a blazingly fast attacking set up for the player while maintaining a certain degree of control. 

this has a better finish than the OC- carbon and im loving the handle because it very comfortable for people who have bigger hands like i do. 

The bad:

not for beginners - this would be too fast for beginners even with 2.0mm rubbers. i recommend this blade to advanced players.

not a close to the table blade - better at mid distance and far from the table due to its speed. 

overall: 

a very good all out attacking blade from Stiga. recommended for players who are looking for a powerful blade but not too heavy for their liking then this is the blade for those players. It pairs well with medium and soft rubbers.

Rosewood XO Legend Flared

weight: 75 grams
Size: 150x155mm 
speed: off to off+
feel: medium stiff
Thickness: 5.9mm 

This is the best looking blade Stiga has ever produced. Simply a class of its own in its design and has an elegant look. Its handle has a darker brown color compared to the original RW5. Same size on their legend flared handles. 

The original RW 5 on the left side and the RW XO on the right side. Notice the better quality Stiga has made the XO into compared to the original RW5. I still need to get my hands on a RW5 legend flared for comparison. I am hoping Stiga will send me one together with the All Around Classic carbon. I have played with the RW5 a few times but I still need to have a side by side comparison to be safe.

The good:

Superb looking blade - its a work of art! its like you have it and instead of playing with it sometimes you would put it in a frame and display it in your own living room. Its how good looking it is!

Very Light weight - at 75 grams this is quite an achievement for Stiga. The original RW5 is at 87 grams with the same legend flared handle. If stiga has managed to get older wood and made an improvement over their drying process then it gives justice to the lighter weight.

Excellent feel - if you like the RW5's feel you would also like the XO's feel even if its a little stiffer than the original. its also loud like the original RW5 if paired with an ESN rubber.

Less Vibration - since i have played with the original RW5, i could say the XO has lesser amount of vibration. I do not know if this due to the older stiffer wood or a better hollow handle. 

balanced attacking blade - the selling point of this blade is that you can do slow spinny loops with the XO and at the same time do fast strokes like loop driving above the table or have good and fast smashes. This blade will suffice an attacking player's needs.

not head heavy - pretty balanced on the weight. had they made the blade maybe 2mm longer i still believe it would still be balanced. 

The bad:

Price - for a USD 160 this is a very expensive blade. Although quality is very high for this blade some players may not be able to afford it. So far this is the only bad side i have seen in the blade.

After some time testing the XO and RW5, I have concluded that both blades have their own good traits. The XO is a class of its own since using heavy chinese rubbers on the forehand and euro/jpn rubbers in the backhand isnt that head heavy because of the reduced weight of the XO. With a significant reduction of weight from the original RW5, this has been the response people have been expecting from stiga especially the ones who have wanted a lighter rosewood 5. The RW5 after some extensive testing is still the faster blade but not by a mile. The RW5 is faster bya few notches. In some cases, you can really feel the difference in speed between the 2 blades. Vibration wise, the XO has the lesser amount of vibration. 

Overall:

I would definitely keep this blade. Its one of a kind and its hard to let go. Also not everybody can afford it. A good blade for attackers that specialize in looping or loop driving. Because of its control i would recommend it for intermediate players and above. 

All Around Classic Carbon Legend Flared
weight: 90 grams
Size: 150x156mm
speed: all+ to off-
feel: medium 
Thickness: 5.8mm 
Price: USD 66

here are pics that I took from the store and borrowed the blades for photos:

The ACC has a better looking, redesigned handle compared to its original brother the All Around blade. I had to sand the handle lightly first then i sealed the handle and other parts because of its natural design, overtime the continuous usage would make the blade dirty. The white limba and the redesigned hablde by Stiga is really good looking. 

It felt a little bit heavier compared to the original one which was only more than 70 grams. At the advent of the 40mm ball, the original AC became somewhat either a beginner's blade because of its lesser speed with the 40mm ball or a blocker's or defensive blade to some people. Good thing, Stiga made a new AC and added 2 layers of carbon on the blade and put nct coating on the surface making the blade stiffer and to some extent faster than the original one. 

At first use, the ACC was a little slower compared to the other 1st 3 blades of the 2012 series I have reviewed. Its all+ to off- in speed. I didin't expect much speed on this blade since Im sure it wasn't really meant or built for speed but rather just an improvement on the stiffness, added solidity on shots and a better quality on its construction. The ACC was a good looping blade with fair speed. Its not as flexy as the original AC but still good for looping. Control is its main characteristic. 
I would rather see this as a developing player's blade because even with the increase in speed it isnt much and players would still benefit from this due to its control never hampering their development of strokes. To other advanced players, its high lever of control would either mean placing very fast rubbers on it in order for them to still enjoy the fast rubbers they wanted with this blade or using medium speed rubbers with blocking as their choice of style. To some extent you can even chop with this blade though a bit difficult because its stiff. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 2:19am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

just got today the Rosewood XO, 7.6 sense and Offensive classic carbon.. all around classic carbon will follow after a few weeks. 

here's what i have noticed on these 3 new blades:

weight (all legend flared)

Rosewood XO = 77 grams
7.6 Sense = 89 grams
Offensive classic carbon - 87 grams

I will have to weigh this again using a digital weighing scale tomorrow

thickness

RW XO = 5.9mm
7.6 sense = 6.3mm
OC Carbon = 5.8.5.9mm

will review these 3 this week!Big smile

Excellent. I am quite interested in the 7.6. 

On a related note: Have you played much with the original Carbo 7.6? If so, a comparison would be sthuper!

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 2:21am
anton bro! yes i have played with the original 7.6 sense but found it too heavy for my taste. I still have the EB7 you gave me. its the lightest EB7 legend flared at 89 grams hehhehe. i mexcited with the RW XO though
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:38am
pictures added

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:45am
more jealousy every time you have a new review out Yogi_bear Wink
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:49am
hehe zap LOL, it doesn't feel like i'm taking any effort in it because i find it really fun to do. also it soothes my EJness hehehe

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:50am
That looks like a pretty heavy layer of varnish on those blades!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:56am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I was thinking that too, but was wondering if it is the lighting plus camera angle?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:57am

hehe zap LOL, it doesn't feel like i'm taking any effort in it because i find it really fun to do. also i soothes my EJness hehehe

I have used 3 blades the past 10 years, and now you have 3 blades in one shot...... no comment..... Disapprove
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 4:59am
i used about 25+ blades in the past 8 months due to testing them hehehe LOL

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 5:02am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

yup they have NCT. the handles need a lil bit sanding though and the wing part also needs trimming

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 5:10am
which one is mine now?LOL
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 5:13am
Originally posted by gatz gatz wrote:

which one is mine now?LOL

ate naman eh! yung 7.6 sense lang ang walang may-ari. yung blaze sp this july makukuha ko na papadala ko sayo after testing

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 5:14am
Thanks in advance for the pips...
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 6:56pm
nice pictures Yogi.  The wood plies look pretty bad quality from the second picture you took of the Offensive Carbon.  Quality-wise, are any of the three blades better than the Rosewood?  I find the Rosewood to be the highest quality of the hardwood series.  Much better than Ebenholz and Intensity
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 7:14pm
That is an amazing weight for the Rosewood XO!! I want it when you're done Tongue
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 7:18pm
luilin, the wood plies doesnt have bad quality though they are a bit rough. its not much of a problem though since you can just sand it away

LoopsALot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopsALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 10:11pm
is that a Rosewood VII XO? 
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2012 at 6:22am

luilin, the wood plies doesnt have bad quality though they are a bit rough. its not much of a problem though since you can just sand it away

Yes I agree... and this is not uncommon for blades made in Sweden... it's not a sign or poor quality.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by LoopsALot LoopsALot wrote:

No such thing, the Rosewood XO is basically a Rosewood V with apparently older wood
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2012 at 7:39am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Originally posted by LoopsALot LoopsALot wrote:

No such thing, the Rosewood XO is basically a Rosewood V with apparently older wood

And the XO is lighter.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 6:56am
updated with reviews!

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 7:04am
I find the difference in feel between the RW5 and RW XO to be huge after trying them both for 1 session with same rubbers glued to both. Will try again tonight.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

I find the difference in feel between the RW5 and RW XO to be huge after trying them both for 1 session with same rubbers glued to both. Will try again tonight.

hope to hear from you. this is the way to have a precise comparison. testing both at the same time.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 3:14pm
how does the Rosewood XO compare to a YEO?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 6:26am
tested the rosewood xo and the rw5 today side by side using both with p7 rubbers as forehand rubbers. 3 of us including my 2300+ k friends concluded that the XO isnt much faster than the RW5 but we are all very impressed because the XO produced more solid shots than the RW5 with evidently less vibrations. also the XO was better than the RW5 in terms of blocking. The XO was more stable even when blocking powerful shots

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 7:27am

After me and a friend tried both blades right after eachother and also used our normal blades while other played with XO / RW5.

We both had the impression that XO lacked feel, this was probably due to the stiffnes of the XO compared to the RW5. RW5 vibrates alot were XO doesn't, the RW5 also has more dwell, where with the XO you were sometimes wondering if the ball was gone already or you actually hit it well.

Gears/Control: We felt that the RW5 had more gears in both short game and smashes/spins. This might also be because of the lack of feel for the XO but I think also the stiffness of the XO resulting in a faster speed on short balls but also less catapult on the long shots. The 10g difference in weight might have contributed to faster spins on the RW5 but that wouldn't make short balls move slower.

Blocking: When first picking up each paddle and start blocking with them, the XO will perform better. Once you get to know the feel of the blades, the RW5 will give you more options and a more controlled feel for placement/speed. The XO being stiffer is a positive thing while blocking and thats why its so easy, but as said above the XO is limited to a certain amount. For me its a huge difference in just blocking (XO) or putting pressure while blocking (RW5).

Spin: I think the spin on RW5 is better, this might be because I have more feel with it, but also because of the extra weight. I recover quicker with the XO on the other hand, making it easier for me to hit another ball if the spinbal is blocked back fast (active block).

Throw: RW5: Far and low XO: Shorter and lower.

My friend just bought a new Stiga Offensive NCT (I believe it was that one), this is the reason why he is staying with it, else he would have probably tried the RW5. I myself am thinking of switching to the RW5 aswell.

I came from the Acoustic and then went to MJ since I was looking for a lower throw and more speed, but wanted the same feel. The RW5 gives me the lower throw, more speed and the same amount of feel but in a different way, where the MJ only gives me the more speed, same throw and a bit less feel. The acoustic is giving me more spin at the moment but I think this is a matter of getting used to the RW5.

Any questions please ask :)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 7:57am
thomasson, just curious, what are the weights of your rw5 and XO? my xo is 75 grams legend flared and the RW5 of my friend was 83 master flared

Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 8:01am
my XO legend = 75.2g  and the RW5 legend is 85 or 86g, scale was switching between it due to some air passing next to the scale.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 9:33am

...scale was switching between it due to some air passing next to the scale.

Well, then stop farting right next to the scale, for crying out loud...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic