FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Waldner Legend Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Waldner Legend Carbon
    Posted: 07/10/2012 at 11:18am
Has anybody tried this new donic blade and if so can add some reviews on it ? 
It is currently available in USA in megaspin.net - 

ZJK SZLC |5Q+
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2012 at 11:47am
I have one on order, Sadly the blade has not been released as yet. Just like the Bluefire M2 and M3 the Legend is being advertised or you see it on dealers stock list but it is just not available. Donic is a tease!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2012 at 11:55am
what do they mean by "soft inner"? balsa core maybe?
we can only read everywhere (americantabletennis, megaspin...) the same marketing that donic publishes on its website
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2012 at 12:11pm
fatt, according to petermoo it may very well be balsa. He is trying to get confirmation on this.
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 6:35am
According to Schoeler-Micke and the labeling the WLC is a 3+2 blade and has Hinoki-Carbon-Kiri-Carbon-Hinoki.

http://schoeler-micke.tabletennis-shop.de/en/Blades/Donic-Waldner-Legend-Carbon.html

Edited by zzz - 07/11/2012 at 8:58am
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

fatt, according to petermoo it may very well be balsa. He is trying to get confirmation on this.

I can confirm that the center ply is indeed Kiri

Petermoo
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 10:24am
wow kiri carbon hinoki... a light flexier amultart maybe? is it a 5+2 or 3+2 blade? 
if it is a 5+2,
do we have 2 outer plies with the carbon glued to the core or do we have the carbon between 2 outer plies? and, what is the wood used for the inner ply?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 1:22pm
translation:

Donic Waldner Carbon Legend

Newly developed by DONIC, which has it all!

Fast, relatively lightweight offensive blade that features a larger sweet spot with more feel.

The carefully coordinated selection of wood veneers - Hinoki outer veneer combined with carbon fibers and a soft inner core - get the wood its hardness and high ground speed.

Better suited to offensive players that operate around the table with a lot of pressure

Handle shapes: straight, concave
Weight: 85 gr
5 layers - Kiso Hinoki, Kiri + 2 carbon layers

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 9:55pm
Then it has the same ply construction with Butterly's Schlager Carbon ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 5:53pm
I've just started using one of these.  It's really well-made - to a higher standard than Donic's usual (although there's nothing much wrong with Donic blades anyway).  The hinoki top is really nice, and everything is finished beautifully.  No sharp edges or splinters anywhere.  Handle really comfortable.  Only had the one session, but I'm very happy so far.

I got it from the World Cup in Liverpool.  The chap at the Topspin Sports stand was very helpful, and mentioned that this one was made in Japan with the direct intention of duplicting Butterfly specs.  Sounds like waffle, but I can see his point when looking at the finished product.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 7:29pm
Thanks, AndySmith. Can I ask: what weight is yours? If it's under 85g, I'm going to have to pick one up.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2012 at 3:07am
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

Thanks, AndySmith. Can I ask: what weight is yours? If it's under 85g, I'm going to have to pick one up.

Mine is 86g.  The average weight seems to come in at 85g, so you can probably ask for a slightly lighter one if you can find a helpful webshop.
bryce_fx23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryce_fx23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2012 at 5:31am
I have ovtharow carbospeed in FS section with is thicker model of waldner legend carbon. Mine weights 85g, ST, like new condition
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2012 at 5:46pm
AndySmith, have you been playing with this blade much??? I got mine a week ago and planning on writing something about it as well as some pictures.

Great blade with good feel and just the right amount of flex. It feels like it was built for the Bluefire rubbers.

Edited by Carryboy - 10/20/2012 at 5:51pm
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 12:34am
Carryboy

Please play with it quick and give us all a detail review:)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 3:36am

AndySmith, have you been playing with this blade much??? I got mine a week ago and planning on writing something about it as well as some pictures.Great blade with good feel and just the right amount of flex. It feels like it was built for the Bluefire rubbers.

I've got two sheets of M3 on it, and I love it. Another clubmate was impressed too, and ordered the same setup from Tibi as well. I haven't used it for long enough to post a lot of info (testing other blades at the moment), but it seems like a great fit so far. Very smooth feel, and adds a touch of low speed spring to the bluefire, which I think it needs. A brilliant looping carbon setup.
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 4:19am

Hello friends,

can you share head size of these blades, thank you very much.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 5:44am
This is a very nice blade, I tried with Bluefire M1 on both sides. Tremendous speed, great feel and very good spin!
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 10:53am
I received this blade about a week ago, maybe a bit longer. Inspecting the blade initially I would say the fit and finish is quite high with a very interesting color scheme used on the handle that really gives the blade a fun look. If we should use Butterfly blades as the benchmark then I would give the fit and finish of this particular blade 8.5 on a scale of 1 - 10. The materials used seem to be of very high quality with a nice hefty/thick Kiso Hinoki top ply evenly grained (really nice). As a matter of fact I would say that the quality of materials used would be a full 10.

Please be cautioned that I have not played any serious matches/games with this blade as yet. Used for the past week on my Robot and practice sessions with other players. So far this is my initial impressions and subject to change over the next two weeks which I will update as time goes on.

DONIC WALDNER LEGEND CARBON
Composition:    Kiso Hnoki/Carbon Fiber/Kiri/Carbon Fiber/Kiso Hinoki  5 Ply
Head Dimension: 155mm wide x 160mm high x 6mm thick
Handle Dimensions:  36mm wide x 24mm high x 100mm length
Weight:  79/80 grams  (My request due to the rubbers that would be used Bluefire)
Surface Feel:  Hard-
Blade elasticity: Stiff (However slight flex during power shots)
Blade Speed: OFF (True Off in every sense of the word)
Type of Play: Looping Purist ( A precision Looping Instrument)
Country of Manufacture: China

As I said these are my initial impressions and subject to change over time. I dressd the Waldner Legend Carbon with Donic Bluefire M2 Max forehand and Donic Coppa X3 Silver 2.0 backhand.

Initial bounce test I found the setup to be not overly bouncy on both sides which indicated in all probability good control and could be on the slow side (or so I thought). I may add that both rubbers are brand new so a bit of break in time was needed. Attachd Bluefire with a light coat of RC and Coppa X3 Silver with Donic Vario Clean and had it in the press on and off for over 48 hours (between playing time). Total setup weight with hand grip is 178 grams which kind of surprised me as I really did not expect the weight to be that heavy based on the blade weight. The blades head is oversized (a lot of real estate) at 155mm x 160mm and a cut sheet of M2  for this blade with a bit of over hang would be around 52 grams. The normal weight of this blade should average 85 grams so the same setup using a 85 gram example the weight would be 183 to 185 grams. The balance of the setup is more towards the head. The handle is very comfortable with the wings/throat  cut high like most Butterfly blades (The Gergely is a good example).

Short Game:  As I thought, very controlled as the setup is not overly bouncy. This is one aspect of this blade (setup) that bothered me at first but I got the hang of it after the fist few hours. You have to play every shot and in comparison to my Li Ping Kitex (Dimension of Kitex is 150mm wide x 155mm height x 6.75mm thick) and basically setup the same way (much more bouncy) a lot of rebound comes into play. I could actually load up the backspin on my short game without any nasty popups or the chance of going over the board unless I am not reading  properly what type of spin is coming back at me. In comparison to the Kitex, I had to adjust the push and touch angle a bit more horizontal in most instances with the Waldner Legend. Backhand and forehand flicks are easy and very controlled but not as spinny as I would like. I will see if it gets better in the coming weeks, probably a little change in technique. The blade has excellent feel and touch with slight vibration. It has a unique feel that is hard to explain, kind of a dryish feel (Kiso Hinoki) and a short quick vibration and pitch with a very sharp feel. Its as if the blade speaks to you letting you know exactly what is happening, a bad shot you know right away. In Comparison to the Kitex the Waldner Legend has more control in the short game but you have to be more active in the short game with the Waldner Legend (short game control very similar to the Nexy Spartacus with a sharper precise feel).

Attacking Shots: The Waldner Legend is a very fast, linear blade with many gears. Together with the Bluefire M2, it is as if both rubber and blade were built to compliment each other. Paired together this becomes one hell of a looping machine. There is a slight amount of flex (6mm) thick plus over sized head (155 x 160mm) plus M2 Max and a dash of that unique feel equals you are in looping territory, a consistent controlled looping instrument. The spin is just ridiculous!!! In comparison to the Kitex the Waldner Legend is more linear and controlled in attacks.  Loop drives borders on Insanity!! Counter loops are good but you have to keep a more horizontal stroke for this shot. However I find the Kitex a bit better at counter looping in this regard and that is probably due to the Kitex being .75mm thicker and less flexier.  Flat hits are fast and hammering and is just as fast as the Kitex. On the backhand side the Coppa X3 Silver while very good in the touch game plays very well on this blade on attacking strokes. While my backhand is weaker than my forehand I was able to loop on that side with good spin and backhand drives were very fast. As I said before the Waldner Legend does not have as much rebound as the Kitex so I was able to really unload with my backhand to finish the point or a beautiful high return and a easy put away.

I will add one more note to power shots. The Waldner Legend Carbon has another upper gear (Super Charged) or so it would seem to me. I will not say much about this aspect of the blade until I can get confirmation from another player here on the forum.

Blocks: I found blocking quite easy with this blade. You will find active blocking quite controlled for placement, if of course you have the time to do this. I am no expert at punch blocking but I did punch block a few back on the board when my training partner erroneously put some weak loose loops my way. I found with this blade/setup, I was putting a lot of balls back on the table, much more than usual which caused my opponents to make a lot of errors.

Serves: Quite good and as I said before due to the low rebound you can serve quite short or load up on some really fast serves.

In summary a quick comparison between the Waldner Legend, Li Ping Kitex, Nexy Spartacus and Nexy Calix;

Speed: WL=LPK>NC>NS
Spin: WL=NS=LPK>NC
Control: WL=NS>LPK>NC
Flex: NC>NS>WL>LPK
Vibration: NS>NC>WL>LPK
Value for Money: WL=LPK>NS>NC

I have have been playing with this blade over the last two weeks after coming off of the Li Ping Kitex before that. With the Waldner Legend I have lost a few games and I have won a lot, and I have had fun during both loosing and winning. The Donic Waldner Legend Carbon is the most linear blade I have ever used. For the money this blade is a must try, for value two thumbs up. At around US$70 I am hard pressed to name any blade at twice the price that I can think of that is truly much better than the Waldner Legend Carbon. As you can see from the pictures shown this blade looks like a fun blade especially with both rubbers used, the color scheme really attracts a lot of stares. Everyone is curious about the Bluefire M2 and the Waldner Legend Carbon, and even the almost antique Coppa X3 Silver has gotten a lot of admiration. I have been using Bluefire M2 for near two months now on my Kitex and no one ever noticed or gave it a second glance. The first minute on the Waldner Legend Carbon and it was in Hollywood, WOW!!!

Edited by Carryboy - 10/26/2012 at 6:24pm
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2012 at 3:26pm
My post is updated!!
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 12:21am

Originally posted by bryce_fx23 bryce_fx23 wrote:

I have ovtharow carbospeed in FS section with is thicker model of waldner legend carbon. Mine weights 85g, ST, like new condition

Hello friends,

bryce_fx23 can you measured head size of ovtcharov carbospeed and share with us? Thank you very much.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 4:03am

My post is updated!!

Great info, thanks.  Agree with everything you say, but I'd say it was softer than hard-.  Feel is subjective, etc etc.

It's a great blade, and amazing value for money.  The equivalent BTY blade would be 3x the price.

I'd love an 80g one...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 4:26am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The chap at the Topspin Sports stand was very helpful, and mentioned that this one was made in Japan with the direct intention of duplicting Butterfly specs.  Sounds like waffle, but I can see his point when looking at the finished product.

Not so sure it's made in Japan... I've seen other blades from that series, and I don't think it mentioned on there where they were made, so I'm pretty sure they're made in China. They do seem of good quality though... China can make some very high quality blades.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 4:34am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The chap at the Topspin Sports stand was very helpful, and mentioned that this one was made in Japan with the direct intention of duplicting Butterfly specs.  Sounds like waffle, but I can see his point when looking at the finished product.

Not so sure it's made in Japan... I've seen other blades from that series, and I don't think it mentioned on there where they were made, so I'm pretty sure they're made in China. They do seem of good quality though... China can make some very high quality blades.

Yes, I have my doubts about it too.  It comes in a totally generic Donic box, which gives no indication of where it was made (or even which blade was in there).  Nothing on the blade itself either.  From the price alone, it probably isn't made in Japan, so probably salesman nonsense.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 6:11am
Yes I think you're right... I've got the Ovtcharov Carbospeed which also come in a generic box. This is quite a similar blade. Reminded me of a Primorac Carbon which has similar construction too.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 6:16am
Haggisv, forgive me, do you know head size of ovtcharov carbospeed. Thank you very much.
bryce_fx23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryce_fx23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 6:25am
head size of mine ovtharow 161-153
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 6:28am
Same for my ovtcharov
tayyabsaeedkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tayyabsaeedkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 7:54am
Can you please compare Waldner Legend carbon and Ovtcharov carbospeed to any BTY carbon blades. That would be very kind of you .

Regards
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by tayyabsaeedkhan tayyabsaeedkhan wrote:

Can you please compare Waldner Legend carbon and Ovtcharov carbospeed to any BTY carbon blades. That would be very kind of you .

Regards

I would say the closest to both is the Amultart, but I think the Waldner Legend is a bit softer and more controlled.  Not sure about the Carbospeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic