FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

yasaka malin carbon??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yasaka malin carbon??
    Posted: 11/19/2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Originally posted by midge4673 midge4673 wrote:

I sold the carbon blade as it was too fast for my level; the original blade I have is a "Saive Control" Stiga blade with DHS Skyline on FH and Stiga Innova on BH.  The blade is a bit heavy for me; it isn't a bad blade, but I would like a more balanced one...Again, I'm currently an 1100 female player.  I have checked with one trainer/coach but would like input from the forum too.

On playing style, I'm a very good blocker, receiver, opportunistic attacker with a much stronger forehand.  Most players consistently play my backhand, which I can push, loop and block consistently but the basic stroke needs work...perhaps I'm out of position and it's more of a footwork issue, but I have been trained in the footwork, just need to be faster I guess....pitfall of being a more petite player at 5'3.

P.S. My boyfriend also plays on my league is about a couple hundred points above me in rating and is a consistent attacker.  He chews me out if I ever push and do not make an attack when comfortable.  I told him placement is more important than speed or spin.  He says to attack whether I make the table or not and now thinks he is an authority; I like to look at my opponent and see their style and adjust accordingly.
Anyway, this has been a constant argument since we both started the league about a year and a half ago. 

I think I should play my strengths and develop the weaknesses, but play my game, not his.

What is your take on this argument?

I urge you to look outside the hall where you train or the clinic. Seek out videos of women matches in table tennis. Look at the different way they play the game vs men. If you are really serious about the game, consider going here and reading more about it www.protabletennis.net. Look under the section titled Women's game.

Men can play with power and they seek out opportunities when they can utilize their power better. Women ( especially tiny ones :) ) have problems generating power, so they stand closer to the table and use speed to score their points. Their best skills become the ability to use angles and using the incoming pace and spin of the ball for speed.

So, in short, if you are a good blocker on the backhand, but do not feel comfortable opening against a push, then don't. Simple. If you are stable enough to defend the opponent's opening shot against the push - you will not ever have to worry about somebody looping hard, especially if you control the direction of the push really well.

On the same note, if your opponent has super fast footwork and is able to get to your pushes and attack them consistently, then you will have to step outside your game and start attacking incoming pushes.

I hope you boyfriend does not control you as much in personal life as he attempts on the table tennis court. You are correct in your thinking! Good job, keep it up. Kick your bf's butt to prove him wrong :)

your boyfriend tells you what he thinks it is the best for you.

you do not have playing level to think about playing your game.

have to learn first and then thinking about playing your game.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Sponsored Links

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 11:22pm

I sold the carbon blade as it was too fast for my level; the original blade I have is a "Saive Control" Stiga blade with DHS Skyline on FH and Stiga Innova on BH.  The blade is a bit heavy for me; it isn't a bad blade, but I would like a more balanced one...Again, I'm currently an 1100 female player.  I have checked with one trainer/coach but would like input from the forum too.

On playing style, I'm a very good blocker, receiver, opportunistic attacker with a much stronger forehand.  Most players consistently play my backhand, which I can push, loop and block consistently but the basic stroke needs work...perhaps I'm out of position and it's more of a footwork issue, but I have been trained in the footwork, just need to be faster I guess....pitfall of being a more petite player at 5'3.

P.S. My boyfriend also plays on my league is about a couple hundred points above me in rating and is a consistent attacker.  He chews me out if I ever push and do not make an attack when comfortable.  I told him placement is more important than speed or spin.  He says to attack whether I make the table or not and now thinks he is an authority; I like to look at my opponent and see their style and adjust accordingly.
Anyway, this has been a constant argument since we both started the league about a year and a half ago. 

I think I should play my strengths and develop the weaknesses, but play my game, not his.

I urge you to look outside the hall where you train or the clinic. Seek out videos of women matches in table tennis. Look at the different way they play the game vs men. If you are really serious about the game, consider going here and reading more about it www.protabletennis.net. Look under the section titled Women's game.

Men can play with power and they seek out opportunities when they can utilize their power better. Women ( especially tiny ones :) ) have problems generating power, so they stand closer to the table and use speed to score their points. Their best skills become the ability to use angles and using the incoming pace and spin of the ball for speed.

So, in short, if you are a good blocker on the backhand, but do not feel comfortable opening against a push, then don't. Simple. If you are stable enough to defend the opponent's opening shot against the push - you will not ever have to worry about somebody looping hard, especially if you control the direction of the push really well.

On the same note, if your opponent has super fast footwork and is able to get to your pushes and attack them consistently, then you will have to step outside your game and start attacking incoming pushes.

I hope you boyfriend does not control you as much in personal life as he attempts on the table tennis court. You are correct in your thinking! Good job, keep it up. Kick your bf's butt to prove him wrong :)

Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 11:11pm

No, I'm not a junior but a college graduate with 14 years in the technical field as a Sr. Business Systems Analyst.  The blade was recommended to me by paddle palace, but I find they will sell you anything.

I do receive some group clinic training from former olympic us champion, Sean O'neil and some private lessons from a formal coach, who also advised at 1100 I ditch the ma ling soft carbon blade...I find I hit with it very similarly to my all around stiga blade with Skyline S3 rubber on the FH and Innova ultra light on the BH; both I tend to overpower some shots as I do not have a consistent forehand loop but my smashes are usually dead on.

Anyway, he too advised the soft carbon is recommended more for players of 1800 level or more.  He uses the Tibhar 

Samsonov Alpha SGS

Anyway, I can't afford to keep replacing blades and rubber, so I am using my original $25 stiga all around control blade and the rubber on it as my coach whom I sometimes take training from (I play at a sports bar on a league so not going out for olympics but would eventually like to do some USATT tournaments).  

Midge

As much as I respect coaches of Sean's caliber, I disagree with coaches recommending specific equipment. The job of a coach is to teach the player how to properly use and adjust to whatever equipment he/she is using.

On this note. YMLC is a very good blade, but if it doesn't feel right - then don't pressure yourself to get used to it.

I've played with almost all of the latest Yasaka blades. They are all good and vary only slightly in their feel. The biggest varience among them is what kind of rubber will be best suited for the blade - softer or harder.

On that note, please consider the ratings on the blades. The control and speed ratings have a relationship among the blades. Usually the faster the blade, the less control you will have. If the blade is fast, fast smashes will be easier.

I played with soft carbon a bit and it played better with harder rubbers ( Mark V and Stiga Magna felt great on it ).

On softer blade - like Yasaka Mark V special edition - Mark V GPS or Mark V 30 feel fantastic.

Stiffer blades like Ma Lin Extra Offensive are better off with Mark V regular.

If you would like to stick with the current blade, but looking for a much more durable rubber, consider Acuda series ( preferably with thinner sponge to better suit your level ). This is a good, durable rubber that is available for 33 bucks on ttnpp.com

Back to table tennis...
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 3:00pm
I agree with your response; since I've been playing his game, I've been losing and my rating is dropping. 
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:59pm
I may start going there as I heard they are starting tournaments.  I for some reason do not get Bruce Bailey's emails despite he has the right email for me, so I will need to check their website.  I still live close to Mcminnville so Portland is a long drive for me; I'm currently looking to move back into or near Portland to save on the gas and wear and tear on my car.

I like the robot at Li Ning; not sure why they are charging a $6 day pass when Portland Table Tennis charges $4. 
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:57pm

I do attack if it pops up, that is a given, but he wants me to attack EVERY shot.

Attack only high percentage shots based on your level.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:55pm
Midge, do you ever go to the Harold Streed club?

They have lots of time available for open play, andthere are usually lots of players there on mondays and saturdays in your level. Also on fridays but Im never there anymore because I have coaching at the Li Ning club downtown
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:43pm
Is this Mira????  The unbeknownst internet cruiser :)
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:42pm
I do attack if it pops up, that is a given, but he wants me to attack EVERY shot.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:40pm

You should attack the ball if it pops up. It's the correct thing to do.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:37pm
Ha ha, yeah, small world.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:32pm
Allround Classic with Sriver FX.

BTW do you happen to live in Portland like I do?

And is the club the Blitz sports bar?

And is your coach Tim Aikey?
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:31pm

midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 2:21pm

Thanks.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2011 at 11:28am

P.S.  I enjoy playing mid range to away from the table a bit more....I am a natural defender and opportunistic attacker...considering the applegren blade by Donic, but there is a V1 and V2 as well, so curious which one I could grow into more as I develop in the game...I'm currently an 1100-1200 rated player and have played a year and a half and get coaching occasionally, attend weekly one hour friday group sessions with former us olympic champion.

I play between 12-20 hours a week.

First off, I am sorely jealous of your 12-20 hours a week. In six months, you manage more TT than I get in 2 years. At that rate, you have some great opportunities to improve.

I agree with the former poster that some coaches make very good equipment recommendations, and you might run some ideas past him.

The beauty of an ALL/ALL+ wood blade is that it's the best platform for development and growth, if for no other reason that, from that starting point, you can totally adjust feel/potential spin/weight balance and speed, all with rubber selection.

It will start you off easily for touch shots and control, and assist in the development of confidence in looping.

Many players, hitting a blistering smash or drive past their opponent, make the mistake of thinking that speed is king... And then they run into the inevitable blockers who turn their smashes and loopkills into fodder. In fact, a well placed shot is much harder for most sub US1800 opponents to return (due to various and everpresent footwork issues) and an ALL/ALL+ blade helps in that regard, as you can vary depth and placement with much greater confidence than with faster blades.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
salsaking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsaking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 5:48pm
Midge: Before you decide on your blade, why don't you just ask Sean for his recommendation? Since you see him weekly and he has a chance to see your game, I think he would be able to reco a good equipment fit for you.

I think he used to address equipment inquiries from customers for ping-pong.com before they went under.
Blade: Yasaka Extra ST
FH: Dawei Sprung 2.2
BH: 729 Lightening 2.2

Blade: Joola Panther ST
FH: Dawei Sprung G3 2.2
BH: Dawei Inspirit 2.0
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 5:36pm
P.S.  I enjoy playing mid range to away from the table a bit more....I am a natural defender and opportunistic attacker...considering the applegren blade by Donic, but there is a V1 and V2 as well, so curious which one I could grow into more as I develop in the game...I'm currently an 1100-1200 rated player and have played a year and a half and get coaching occasionally, attend weekly one hour friday group sessions with former us olympic champion.

I play between 12-20 hours a week.
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2011 at 4:50pm
No, I'm not a junior but a college graduate with 14 years in the technical field as a Sr. Business Systems Analyst.  The blade was recommended to me by paddle palace, but I find they will sell you anything.

I do receive some group clinic training from former olympic us champion, Sean O'neil and some private lessons from a formal coach, who also advised at 1100 I ditch the ma ling soft carbon blade...I find I hit with it very similarly to my all around stiga blade with Skyline S3 rubber on the FH and Innova ultra light on the BH; both I tend to overpower some shots as I do not have a consistent forehand loop but my smashes are usually dead on.

Anyway, he too advised the soft carbon is recommended more for players of 1800 level or more.  He uses the Tibhar 

Samsonov Alpha SGS

Anyway, I can't afford to keep replacing blades and rubber, so I am using my original $25 stiga all around control blade and the rubber on it as my coach whom I sometimes take training from (I play at a sports bar on a league so not going out for olympics but would eventually like to do some USATT tournaments).  

Midge
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2011 at 7:44pm

I am an 1100-1200 rated player, female, and have been playing a year and a half.  I have the ma lin carbon blade (off minus) which I like but need to replace Donic Coppa X (chips easily) on my forehand....would you recommend any of the Mark v series rubbers?

I do have an aggressive forehand for the backhand, I loop and block mainly...the forehand, I smash, loop drive and am building consistency with a straight loop.  I'm developing more spin, but would say I emphasize the speed a bit more.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Mark V will be slower than the Coppa X series. It will be at least as good for spin on loops and more stable pushing. Which Coppa X are you using?

And in the year and a half you've been playing, what are you doing coaching/practice? I couldn't recommend the YMLC without some sort of formal training structure to go along with it; it's a beast of a blade. Several local US1700 players (CPEN loopdriver and a 2 winged shakehander) found it too hot to handle). So if you're an up and coming junior, or someone who spends 10-20 hours a week training, you can ignore the next paragraph.

Last year I watched a US1000 player who had been playing for over 5 years ditch that blade (he had Mark V FH and Coppa X3 BH) and he gained over 400 points USATT and over 200 pts in Ratings Central in the following 6 months... All this after picking a blade that was more "level appropriate" (yes, an ALL+ blade) with exactly the same rubbers.

With the Applegren allplay, his return of serve was much better, and his overall control when smashing, driving and opening improved drastically.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2011 at 2:49am
Originally posted by wise wise wrote:

i would like to ask which blade would be better yasaka ma lin carbon or yasaka ma lin soft carbon?? also i am planning to use 1 of the 3 tenergies probably 05 or 64 on the front and nothing on the back, the traditional Cpen way.
I have both.. very much the same feel.. MLC abit harder while MLSC abit more flexible. . need more strength to hit.. i use cpen version.
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 6:33pm
I can't seem to identify the exact name as I do not have the paddle in front of me and can't find it on paddlepalace.com, but it is an all around blade; I was told by paddle palace, where I purchased it, that it is around $25.  It has an orange circle emblem in the handle
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 6:22pm
what stiga control blade did u use?
Hong Kong, Singapore, Sweden, Australia
Liu Shiwen & OC-CR (FH: Globe999 BH:M2)
KLHS(FH:G999 BH:T05FX)
TBS(FH:T05 BH:T64)
OC-WRB(FH:H3 BH:Hammond Pro-Alpha)
Carbo7.6(FH:H3 BH:T64)
midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 6:14pm
Yes, I use shakehand.  I use 2.0 thickness on the current rubbers; I use Stiga Innova on my BH.  On my original Stiga control blade, I had Skyline 3 on the forehand...is spinny and durable but adds alot of weight to the blade.  My Ma Lin Carbon blade and Stiga control blade with the rubbers are within 2 - 3 grams of each other, but I prefer the Ma Lin Soft Carbon Blade. 

This is probably more info. than you wanted, but I thought I'd add that in.
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 6:05pm
midge4673, are you playing with shakehand?

A friend of mine has used MLC penholder with Mark V 2.0mm for a year. 2.0 seems to be too thin and you should go for a MAX Mark V 30 degree if you want something very close to original Mark V and works well for 40mm balls nowadays.

midge4673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midge4673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2011 at 5:33pm
I am an 1100-1200 rated player, female, and have been playing a year and a half.  I have the ma lin carbon blade (off minus) which I like but need to replace Donic Coppa X (chips easily) on my forehand....would you recommend any of the Mark v series rubbers?

I do have an aggressive forehand for the backhand, I loop and block mainly...the forehand, I smash, loop drive and am building consistency with a straight loop.  I'm developing more spin, but would say I emphasize the speed a bit more.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2011 at 7:56am
For MLC, other than Chinese rubbers on FH for my friend using Cpen, is there any suggestions? He is not a fan of glueing and looks like most people prefer to have it with Chinese rubbers. Anyone has tried something with Donic, Stiga or BTY rubers?
kruno View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2009 at 1:25am
MLC is the 15th blade I bought (I've been keeping all of them in my collection)

I just tried it for 15mins, FH: Beijing tuttle, BH: nittaku micro. The first feelings were:

1. heavy weight
2. good tone
3. Adequate control
4. Good speed
5. slightly vibrate

In Vietnam it costs me around $45. In conclusion, it's a worth blade to try.

PS: please forgive me for my bad English. 
whirlwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whirlwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2009 at 3:54am
i wonder if BW2 will match with the YMLC Big%20smile
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2009 at 9:26pm
The Ma lin Carbon and the Malin soft carbon are sold at:

http://www.megaspin.net
http://www.americantabletennis.com

Pingpongping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingpongping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2009 at 7:41pm
Hi Guys,
just join the club. great reviews on the MLC.
quite motivated to get one.
I also find the stiga blade quality poor, i got blister from using it. but the play quality is good.
thinking of using the MLc with TG3 on forehand and omega III on back.
any suggestions?
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: DHS TG3
BH: XIOM OMEGA III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic