Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Photino reviews?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Photino reviews?
    Posted: 07/29/2012 at 4:01am
Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a photino cs pen hold version. Before getting that, can any of you share some reviews of the Photino that you have or have used? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2012 at 8:43pm
If there were, do you think they would be in the General Forum?

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2012 at 9:52pm
Moved as a one time courtesy (from computer).

Too bad there are no good Photino reviews here though. The last guy who attempted a CPEN Photino review one wound up switching to a Borko with tuned Samba instead.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2012 at 10:20pm
Briefly played one hour of Photino with boost TC, handle is super comfy, overall weight is only 160g but has monster speed and spin, if anything downside that would be control and short push
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2012 at 10:23pm
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="633161526"var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00US','IP':'85.237.211.117','CH':'HSSCNL000232','CT':'XX','HST':'&SFLAG=1&FW_UA=MSIE/9.0&clsBtnCnt=2','AFH':'hss206','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'2.25','fbw':false,'FBWCNT_MSIE':0};if(/^(.*,)?(11C)(,.*)?$/g.exec(_AF2$.CT)!=null&&_AF2$.CH!='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}");< title="AFc_277" ="text/">.AFc_body277{} .AFc_all277,a.AFc_all277:hover,a.AFc_all277:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}< ="text/">AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0}
Hi,
I just purchased a photino cpen from Fastpaddle.com.  Really good service (Fast and accurate).  I tried a lot of cpens and I will say that the photino cpen is pretty good.  I used DHS H3 Neo (Tuned with Dian Chi) and Baracuda for RPB.  The set up has a lot of control but offers the 2nd gear from further away.  I think it is similar to Timo Boll Spirit Cpen with more body to it.  I don't care for the Timo Boll Spirit's tiny handle.  The feel is very similar to a cheaper alternative of 729 V6 cpen.  The photino does seem to be thicker.  It is as thick as my Takism. 

Short game = really nice, lots of control, can really drop dead balls nice
Loop = really nice, no worse than Eb5 or Rw5 or YEO or Maze or etc
RPB = really nice
Blocks = satisfactory, dosen't have the same punch as AVX 700 or BTY PC.
Chopping = good
Gripe = a little thicker than I hoped, over setup is a little heavy

Hope this information helps, I am not sure if it is worth 200 usd but definitly a good blade
Jason
if(_AF2$.TOP==1){if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000242'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000248'){document.write("")}else if(_AF2$.CH=='HSSCNL000249'){document.write("")}else{var m=new RegExp(/&FBWCNT_MSIE=([0-9]+)/g).exec(_AF2$.HST);_AF2$.FBWCNT_MSIE=(m!=null&&typeof(m[1])!='undefined')?parseInt(m[1]):0;if(parseFloat(_AF2$.AFVER)>=2.03&&/NO_FBW_MSIE/.test(_AF2$.HST)==false&&_AF2$.FBWCNT_MSIE<10&&navigator.appVersion.indexOf"Win"!=-1_AF2$.strl=2048;_AF2$.fbw=true."")}}
Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2012 at 10:49pm
I have used the SH 1 some time ago by a hour maybe

The blade had Tackiness Drive on both sides

That setup is very dwelly and slow but still with power

Short game: I had some troubles because the rubbers are slow my poor technique and didnt had much catapult
Loops: My loops were spinny (the rubbers had 1 year or more of use)
Serves: Were good not Ma Lin good but good
Didnt block too much so dont remember.

The blade feels very nice I like it but maybe the rubbers didnt help me to love it
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:31pm
I don't have cpen but I have Photinos. My experience is: paired w/ H3 in the FH and T64 on the BH it is a almost best set up I have ever had. Overall it is a high tech blade: man-made spring and damper systems. Supper quality craftsmanship. I play this set up several times a week on my machine and I like it very much, fast and good control when I close to table, but far from table I have less confident compare to my viscaria and Stiga R7.
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:37pm
Ooh, I wish you told me that sooner George.  I just bought a Photino-CS that John (Jtsf999) recommended.  If I don't like it, I'll blame him haha.  I was reading some reviews about the Photino having a soft feeling.  I am a mid-distance looper, I am banking on the thickness of the blade will help compensate for the speed I lost.  I would like to have the Photino be as fast as the Rosewood 7.  My BTY TB T5000-CS is perfect for mid-distance looping, but it is a bit stiff.  I don't have a good feedback when I flick on serves. So hopefully the Photino will allow me to do just that, and give me additional speed from mid-distance.
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:43pm
Sorry I was busy w/ TT friends playing ping pong over the weekend.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:45pm
time is money George!!!
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Ooh, I wish you told me that sooner George.  I just bought a Photino-CS that John (Jtsf999) recommended.  If I don't like it, I'll blame him haha.  I was reading some reviews about the Photino having a soft feeling.  I am a mid-distance looper, I am banking on the thickness of the blade will help compensate for the speed I lost.  I would like to have the Photino be as fast as the Rosewood 7.  My BTY TB T5000-CS is perfect for mid-distance looping, but it is a bit stiff.  I don't have a good feedback when I flick on serves. So hopefully the Photino will allow me to do just that, and give me additional speed from mid-distance.

Photino is one of the best OFF blades I've ever owned.  The only problem is I need to control the BH side.  My FH shots are crisp and precise, my BH blocks sometimes go long.
It's definitely not a beginner's blade.  From mid distance, depending on your level, you can land some awesome kill shots.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 4:58pm
my current rating is 1750, but I just beat a 2100 teenage coach two days ago at my club, and often times go to five games with other 2000 rated players.  So I hope the Photino will be right for me.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:04pm
It is looping blade period. High arc loops from mid distance are crazy fast and spinny. Kill loops and services above the table are not comparable to any other blades i ever used. Everything else is average or below average. It is a michael maze on a steroids.
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
entel5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entel5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:14pm
I played with Photino for 3 years , I am a backhand oriented player and even though I like the forehand shots with it, I came to the conclusion that Photino lacks power for backhand shots.
Otherwise it has lots of control.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by entel5 entel5 wrote:

I played with Photino for 3 years , I am a backhand oriented player and even though I like the forehand shots with it, I came to the conclusion that Photino lacks power for backhand shots.

+1
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:19pm

No!  This is the worst thing I need to hear now that I already ordered a Photino!
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

It is looping blade period. High arc loops from mid distance are crazy fast and spinny. Kill loops and services above the table are not comparable to any other blades i ever used. Everything else is average or below average. It is a michael maze on a steroids.

for me its not a looping blade period. for me looping blades are thinner. 

photino is more a driving blade, imo, .... but of course like most blades, it has decent looping too.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

No!  This is the worst thing I need to hear now that I already ordered a Photino!

More to the point, it took you three whole years to figure that out?
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
entel5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entel5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:22pm
No no , listen its a looping blade, I flat hit with my backhand and forehand, as long as you loop you'll be safe, I am sure you will love this blade.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 5:23pm

No no , listen its a looping blade, I flat hit with my backhand and forehand, as long as you loop you'll be safe, I am sure you will love this blade.

Oh ok, *whew...* thank you.  Since I don't flat hit as much, I think it will be perfect!!  Thanks!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 11:50pm
Photino lacks back hand power? I thought mine was to powerful. Could be a fine adjustment in stroke is needed. Put some T64, 1Q, Calibra LT on that bad boy and you have a rocket launcher! Thumbs Up
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2012 at 12:03am

maybe its because im just a low level player but i find photino to have more than enough power on both FH and BH 
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2012 at 12:23am
The main plus of Photino is its handle colours and hype about zylon and sign of Russia's top player I've bought it from  Big smile 
I have been playing with for 1,5 years....With simple cheap 5 ply allwood Latika I had immediately started to do much better...Photino is not more than fast thick woody feeling overpriced blade. It's not bad at all, but nothing really special to rave about.   
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic