Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

[VOTE] The thickness of your blade - IMPORTANT

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Thickness of your blade ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [14.00%]
26 [52.00%]
7 [14.00%]
4 [8.00%]
1 [2.00%]
1 [2.00%]
3 [6.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [VOTE] The thickness of your blade - IMPORTANT
    Posted: 08/06/2012 at 5:05pm
  1. The thickness of the blade is the most important factor of the blade.
  2. Some prefers thick blade: stronger, harder, faster
  3. Some prefers thin blade: more feel, flexible, softer
  4. Professional player prefers thin or thick blade?
  5. The maximum thickness is 10mm ?
Does thickness of the blade affect your game?
Clap

Edited by HowToPlayChineseLoop - 08/06/2012 at 11:04pm
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 5:15pm
You need to add 10mm for the single ply boys
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
trevor View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 5:30pm
Thickness and hardness affects the speed and control/feedback of the blade. After trying out many blades probably 100+ over many years I found the tibhar alpha blade to be the best for me. Allround=too slow, carbon=lack of feedback/feeling, off+ allwood blades too fast/heavy/lack of feedback again, off- or off allwood blade/5 ply/80-85 grams just right for my game. Everyone is different, different style of playing and hand feeling means what suits me wont necessarily suit someone else. Can take a bit of Ejing to get your right blade for you or maybe you'll get lucky?  
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 5:47pm
Why is this so important?
I mean, writing upper case "IMPORTANT" in the thread title is a bit excessive, isn't it?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 6:20pm
Voted 6-6.5 because my T-4 is 6 but my Instinct is 6.7 I would make the poll: Very thin <5mm / Thin 5-6 / Medium 6-7 / Thick 7-8 / Very thick 8+. In that case i prefer medium.  Also Instinct is flexier, lighter and softer than T-4. There are many factors that play more important role than thickness.
MrScience101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrScience101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 8:10pm
@trevor
is this the blade you are talking about?
MrScience101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrScience101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 8:15pm
http://www.paddlepalace.com/Samsonov-Alpha/productinfo/STSAM/

sorry forgot to put this in.
trevor View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by MrScience101 MrScience101 wrote:

http://www.paddlepalace.com/Samsonov-Alpha/productinfo/STSAM/

sorry forgot to put this in.

Yeah thats the one Smile

I matched it up with Sinus 2.0mm both sides, I'm an allround shakehands player.  

Edited by trevor - 08/06/2012 at 8:21pm
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 8:28pm
i prefer the thinner blades like Butterfly ALC/ZLC blades. they have a nice feel to them
RSM Special Platinum T64
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 11:31pm
I have two Samsonov Alphas and they are relatively thin and flexible.  The Samsonov Alphas loop well with many rubbers I have tried and are awesome with T05 or Rakza 7 Soft max.

I have a Toxic 5 for a hard bat blade.  The flex of the blade allows me to get more spin when I hit the ball closer to the tip.

I have a Firewall Plus which is about 9mm of balsa.  It is good for blocking off the bounce with long pips.   It isn't very good for looping.  I have T25 mounted on it now and that is probably a waste of T25.   IQUL SV max would probably work just as well on that blade.  

trevor View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 7:35am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I have two Samsonov Alphas and they are relatively thin and flexible.  The Samsonov Alphas loop well with many rubbers I have tried and are awesome with T05 or Rakza 7 Soft max.

Pleased you like the Alpha blade I would recommend to anyone who is an allround player, A club player from beginner to the highest levels. For me it has good build quality not an acoustic or TBS but very good for the money, Excellent level of control to speed. I would rate the speed at off- and about 7 out of 10 and the control about 8 out of 10, Not too much vibration on ball contact like an allround but if you prefer this kind of vibration on ball contact then an allround is perfectly fine. AS I mentioned somewhere else My blade was about 3mm smaller than I prefer at 154mm so I carefully cut the top of the handle to make it 157mm after that its a perfect blade for me speed/control/feedback/blade size and weight and value for money as you mentioned pnachtwey matches up well with many TT rubbers.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by HowToPlayChineseLoop HowToPlayChineseLoop wrote:

1. The thickness of the blade is the most important factor of the blade.
  2. Some prefers thick blade: stronger, harder, faster
  3. Some prefers thin blade: more feel, flexible, softer
  4. Professional player prefers thin or thick blade?
  5. The maximum thickness is 10mm ?
Does thickness of the blade affect your game?
Clap

most of the spin pro players choose thin blades 6mm or less  ,its hard to find 6 mm OFF blades
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

You need to add 10mm for the single ply boys

Re-Impact has blades up to 13mm.
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 12:57pm
5-5.5mm

actually I find 5.3 to 5.4 to be optimal (for me)

surprised there aren't more in this group
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:48pm
Paddle palace is great because of its charts, which include thickness measurements. But I find it interesting just how many blades are within the range of 5.8 thickness, especially the carbon ones. The all wood blades generally use a thicker center ply and are therefore thicker on average. I think the thickness is altered to attain a certain special feeling, but in itself, the thickness of the blade does not guarantee a certain type of feel. There are some very slow thick blades and some very fast ones with same thickness. It depends on material. Since there are more blades in thickness ranging from 5.7-6.0 than other blades, you will get these "statistical" poll responses as the ones above.
Back to table tennis...
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Paddle palace is great because of its charts, which include thickness measurements. But I find it interesting just how many blades are within the range of 5.8 thickness, especially the carbon ones. The all wood blades generally use a thicker center ply and are therefore thicker on average. I think the thickness is altered to attain a certain special feeling, but in itself, the thickness of the blade does not guarantee a certain type of feel. There are some very slow thick blades and some very fast ones with same thickness. It depends on material. Since there are more blades in thickness ranging from 5.7-6.0 than other blades, you will get these "statistical" poll responses as the ones above.

exactly what I want to know !
let's look Ma Long, Timo Boll, they always choose the blade about 5.8 mm. (5 layer + 2 carbon).
The reason is both of them are looper. Nowadays, blocker with 7mm blade is rare.

Your opinion of 5 all wood blade is correct. But the next question is: people prefers all 5 woods or 5+2 carbon blade?

all 5 woods give more feel, and more dwell time, loop is great.
5+2 carbon loops great too, but what are the main differences between 5 all wood and 5+2?
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 8:24am
HowToPlayChineseLoop,

Thanks for a great idea. Your questions spawned me to write up what I know about blades. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

http://www.breaking2000.com/anatomy-of-a-table-tennis-blade/
Back to table tennis...
rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 7:56am
My blades:

Spintech Phenom Carbo - 7.5mm
Darker Speed 90 - 9.0mm
BTY Photino - 7.1mm
Donic Persson Powerplay - 6.1mm

Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2012 at 12:33am
BBC ULTRA Blue Streak: 9.5mm 6-ply.
BBC, SP, LP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic