Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews: Photino-CS & TB T5000-CS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews: Photino-CS & TB T5000-CS
    Posted: 08/07/2012 at 1:59pm
So I purchased a Butterfly Photino-CS from razortt (Chong from Fastpaddle.com) last week, and finally had a chance to test the blade out on Saturday.  Before the purchase, I was using a Butterfly Timo Boll T5000-CS, also purchased from FP.  Forehand was equipped with DHS TinArc 3 and Stiga Boost TC for the backhand.  My style is a two-wing looper, with more emphasis on the backhand, usatt rating ~1950-2000, despite the "official" rating being 1750...  Chong asked me to do a review for both blades so other players can get a feel to see whether either blades also fit their styles.

Timo Boll T5000-CS

Forehand: Very fast, produce very low trajectory loops, great for speedy loops and kills.  Terrific for mid-distance, counter, and off-the-bounce loops.

Backhand: fast as well, produce great side spin with my Boost TC rubber.  Excellent for mid-distance RPB counter loops.  Flicks on short services are ok to execute, but won't generate much power, and because of the carbon layers, I did not get much feel when I do RPB flicks.  The blade quickly comes to life however as soon as I started loop mid-distance.  This blade is also PERFECT for backhand punches and smashes

Services: Although the blade is quick, executing short services are doable, but it takes plenty of practice.  The blade is able to produce good amount of spin, but not too spinny however since the ball tends to leave the blade very quickly.

Overall impression: This is by far the best blade I've ever played with, which includes the perennial contenders like the Stiga Rosewood 7, Yasaka Gatien Extra, YEO, Stiga Offensive Classic, TBS.  The TB T5000-CS produces great amount of speed and power that are PERFECT for my style.  It just lacks a bit of feeling of touch that's all.  Other than that, it is absolutely a marvelous and legendary blade!

Photino-CS

The Switch: I decided to made the switch for a slightly softer Butterfly blade that packs the same amount of power and speed as the TB T5000-CS, but also provides a good medium feel to the ball, instead of the too-stiff feeling from the TB T5K.  I used the same rubbers for both blades for testing to provide unbiased reviews.  Forehand: DHS TinArc 3.  Backhand: Stiga Boost TC

Forehand: took me about an hour or so to adjust from my TB T5000-CS.  TB T5K generates a very low and flat trajectory that I think are perfect for mid-distance power loopers.  The Photino however, generates high arc trajectory loops that I had an extreme hard time of keeping the ball inbound when counterlooping mid-distance.  After getting used to however, the Photino does indeed live up to its name.  It produces great spin, slightly softer to the touch which did not generate enough power and speed that I wanted.  To really get that extra boost of power, I had to swing my arm much faster and harder than my usual swings with the TB T5K in hand.

Backhand: Amazing.  I had a really fun time RPB the ball mid-distance with the Photino.  It has good speed, actually the perfect speed for RPB shots that are not as fast when using the TB T5K, but definitely produces very spinny side-topspins.  The Photino is also on par with backhand punches just like the T5K.  Blocking is a breeze with the Photino also.  The slightly thicker head gives that additional speed that I was looking for without pushing too much.

Services: Topspin services are a bit more shorter than before.  Still has good amount of spin. 

Overall impression:  The Photino-CS provides similar feedbacks as the TB T5K, everything is pretty much the same except the Photino generates high arc trajectory loops when counterlooping mid-distance.  There was definitely a learning curve for me, took me about an hour or so to somewhat get used to it.  But once I was acclimated to the blade, it feels just as good as the TB T5K but with even more control and more spins.  I guess I can use the blade interchangeably depending on the type of opponents I'm playing against.  Counterloopers I should go with TB T5K because lower and flatter loops make them a bit hard to counterloop, and faster kill shots make them not have as much time to react.  Close-to-the-table players I can opt for Photino.  Apply heavy topspin for close-to-mid-distance loops to force them to block which I hope the ball will eventually go out of bound.

So thank you Chong for having these two wonderful blades in stock.  I'm so glad I was able to buy both blades from you!  They are definitely keepers for me! Wink

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:01pm
You're welcome. LOL
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

You're welcome. LOL

+1.  Good blade, but at a very high premium.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

You're welcome. LOL

+1.  Good blade, but at a very high premium.

You get what you pay for...no?

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:15pm
I do get what I paid for, but still a bit expensive.  But it's around the same price as my TB T5K, so I'm not complaining much.  Thanks for the recommendation btw sir.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:37pm
So the Photino-CS has no feel either?
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:50pm
no, it has good feel but not as much power as i liked
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 2:55pm

It definitely have plenty of power, just need to learn to use it.  It's NOT something you can do in a few sessions.
I find it works better with 2.0 sponge on FH for me. I normally use max on most blades.  Your FH rubber will also affect your BH rubber play, need to pair them well.

Edited by jt99sf - 08/07/2012 at 4:44pm

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 4:16pm

It definitely have plenty of power, just need to learn to use it.  It's NOT something you can do in a few sessions.

right. photino needs mastering. It is very powerful but has its own way.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 4:37pm
true sirs.  I need to play a few more sessions to tame it better.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 4:41pm

true sirs.  I need to play a few more sessions to tame it better.

It also depends on what style you play against. Loopers will play differently than modern defenders.

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 4:57pm
Is zlf similar to photino?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

Yes,  a VW vs a Porsche. LOL

chameleon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2012 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

Yes,  a VW vs a Porsche. LOL

really?...Confused
Ma Lin Carbon ST
FH: Acuda S3 max
BH: Joola Turbo 2.0
STIGA Offensive Classic
FH: Acuda S2 max
BH: 802-40 max
 Post Reply Post Reply