Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Grip-S Europe Soft review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip-S Europe Soft review
    Posted: 08/13/2012 at 8:03pm

Today my Grip-S Europe Soft - black - max arrived and i happily opened the package... and that was when my happiness ended Cry. I had tried the ttnpp version of Grip-S untuned and was blown away by the excellent topsheet of this rubber. The problem was the sponge was extra hard and wasted the topsheet. Thinking that ES will have same topsheet but softer sponge i decided to try it. WRONG!

The ES has a "Europe" sign at the topsheet and is quite softer than the other version i had. I ordered a Xiom Σ Pro for backhand and i can say that the ES is slightly harder than Pro. The overall hardness of ES is equally from topsheet and sponge, instead of sponge being harder in the other version. Also it wasnt porous like the other but it is more lively. The sponge had a thick layer of glue (?) and was not feeling any gluy at all but rather plastic. The rubber was glued on a T-4 using one thin layer of VOC glue. I rived the rubber after a few hours and the glue stayed well on the sponge. It seems to be very durable.

The topsheet is fairly soft but not that grippy as expected, not near the old one. In fact i could say that Pro has about the same spin, a bit less. I cant say it is tacky but sometimes it can hold the ball for a couple of seconds but mostly less than a sec. It remided me of Ω 4 Asia and i think it has many similarities, gives a very good feeling-control cause of its softness. The pimples are really short, i dont remember seeing shorter, the topsheet has normal thickness and the sponge is quite thick.

Dont know if it needs to break in but it feels ready to play out of the package. I put my racket on the same case with my other 2 and after about an hour i unpacked them to further examine and test my brand new rubbers Grip-S ES, CJ8000 42-44 and MercuryII 37. It is hard to believe but the other rubbers where playing like slightly boosted! They where more springy and grippy than before! That glue-booster-whatever layer is really doing its job! Now i understand the extra hardness of my ttnpp untuned version... Lamp ! Update: Wrong assumption, this happened cause of the fumes of the VOC glue i used, not the ES glue layer.

Moving to the playing characteristics i feel the need to explain how i play as i believe it is as important to the review itself for someone who reads it. I can categorize my style as modern attacker. I play an open game meaning that if the ball reaches the net height or if it doesnt hit the table twice i try to smash, spin or whatever i can. I prefer using spin than speed on my shots or at least a mix. I would rate myself as a normal club level player, nothing special.

Yinhe T-4 / Fh - Grip-S Europe Soft - max / Bh - Xiom Σ Pro - 2mm

Flat hitting: Because i dont know the proper "scientific" words for the t.t. moves i will explain that i mean hitting with open-like blade like when warming up in training. Nothing special on this sector. It is behaving like a fairly slow tensor and it has a linear play, unlike chinese rubbers. The lack of speed isnt something that bothers me, i could say that it has just the power i need to play my game. In smashes it has a very nice feeling cause of the softish, smooth, delicate topsheet. It surely isnt its strength but it suits me well. If i had to rate it i would give for speed 7-7.5/10 and for my needs  9/10. 

Pushing: Not a move that i like or use a lot, unless my back hurts or im not in the mood. If i dont concentrate i feel i can make errors somewhat easily. It doesnt give me a secure feeling for now. I will update when i go for a full time training to be more accurate.

Blocking: Angle adjustment is key as it isnt that spin insensitive. It provides excellent control though cause its not bouncy. I found it easy to keep my block short or at the sides of the table and near the net. Update: The blocks are very easy and can be kept low and slow. Very nice if you want to change the pace of the game or force the opponent to move close to the table. 9/10

Spinning: Nothing like i was expecting but very good performance. The softy, smooth, delicate topsheet hasnt the properties of the hard extremely grippy other sheet i got. It "tsiks" on very closed angles or when brushlooping low from the table, meaning i hear a "tsik" sound, i see a long mark that the ball left on the topsheet and the ball drops down dead or with a little spin. I found it weird that it has so low "tsik" angle though it is a medium-high to high throw rubber. The softish sponge is of big help and can add a powerkick when needed. Update: this rubber is not for brushlooping. It is a failure in this section, which is an important part of my game. The point is that when more of the topsheet / spopnge is engaged the results change dramatically. Excellent spin capabilities and control because of the softy topsheet and also quite easy to spin-counterspin. It is better than my Σ Pro but still i am not happy. For its performance 9-9.5/10 for my needs 7.5-8/10

Flicks: When the ball has enough height on opponents serves or serve returns i tend to flat-hit the ball or add also some spin, i call that flick. Not really impressed, not disappointed. The overall softish feeling doesnt help me much because though it grabs well the ball i find it hard to hit. I would prefer either topsheet or sponge to be harder. 8/10

Service: Though i dont feel like my services having much spin, many of the returns were faulty. I believe thats because the topsheet doesnt have a grippy crisp feeling. Update: My serves are having much spin i just cant feel it in my hand because it has a soft feeling. Control is very good i can place the ball where i want without difficulties. Nothing extraordinary but very efficient. 9/10

Durability: Though it early to tell i believe it will last a lot longer than an average tensor. Though it has soft feeling it seems to be dense and durable. I could cut it easily with scissors but when i tried to rip the leftovers of the rubber i had to try somewhat hard. I would think seriously to rely my life hanging on a sheet of Grip-S ES from a cliff.

Summary: Thats my perception according to the light training i had. I feel like i have been fooled by myself or it is still early and i havent understood the rubber correctly. This rubber plays wonderfully near the table and offers more control than tensors. To make it short, it plays like a slower tensor. I try to start playing more near the table so it will fit me more but still it isnt what i expected. It disappointed me for my expectations but not as a rubber. I have to say that it is a great rubber to play with and i would suggest it instead of a tensor. Overall i am pleased with what i got for the price of 28.5E ~ 35$ give or take (from tabletennis11.com discounted). I would rate it around 9/10. It is an ok rubber but i wouldnt buy it again Ouch!

Dear consumers, all information is subject to change without prior notice. Thank you for your understanding!

I would like to know if the Grip-S has a different topsheet than E and ES (these two have the same right?) and also the difference in sponge hardness and behavior. I am willing to buy a regular Grip-S if it seems promising. Please explain thoroughly. Thanks.

Sorry for me bad engliz. Pinch

Edited by Stoi - 09/03/2012 at 5:57am
Sponsored Links

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 8:21pm
It's the same topsheet as far as I can tell as Grip-S, not tacky but the grip is tremendous. I rather like the topsheet. The spin on serves is beyond that of tensors and tenergy, which is a credit to the topsheet. Maybe the black sheet seems semi-tacky, the red one not at all.

It is definitely a euro/jap type rubber, the only modern alternative to tensors and tenergy.

Edited by cotdt - 08/13/2012 at 8:21pm
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
golfnumeric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfnumeric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 8:34pm
Sorry for being out of the topic.

I was also disappointed by Aurus Sound from Tibhar, a rubber that is supposed to be soft and loud. It doesn't have a soft topsheet and soft sponge like other soft rubbers. Also, it doesn't give a loud sound when hitting the ball at all. I sold it almost immediately. I now hesitate to try other Tibhar rubbers
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 5:24am

Off topic: Well, every brand has its own marking system. Even ES isnt soft at all and it is marked as med-soft at 40%, maybe in chinese sccale it could be true but it is harder than Σ Pro that is rated by Xiom as hard. My point is that even if you try other brands rubbers you could have the same disappointment. In my opinion thats stupid and only serves the companies needs, there should be universal standards for a lot of things but profit just wont let it happen, a whole other big topic.

Please help me about the Grip-S, thanks.

silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 6:32am
ok i looked at the ittf covering websites. Grip-S and Grip-S Europe have different stamps on them 74-008 and 74-014. doesn't that mean they have different top sheets if there is a different number??? i have used Grip-S and i still have it. i must say that the sponge is not all that hard, i think it has been tuned as well, hence, it has a softer sponge than other chinese rubbers like H3
RSM Special Platinum T64
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 7:07am
Yes they are different. My ttnpp version also has 008 and is harder than the ES. How about the topsheet? does it feel softish or more like CJ8000, MercuryII, TG2 Neo? Compare with some rubbers please, Tenergy 05 also, thanks.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 9:35am
As I remember from previous threads on Grip-S,  -008 corresponds to Haifu Whale 2 and is slightly tacky, -014 (Europe) is  Haifu Shark 2. Europe.soft is supposed to be the Shark 2 on a medium-hard sponge.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 9:41am
I have Grip-S, Grip-S E, and Grip-S ES, and the topsheet design is different from both BW2 and Shark. The pips are denser than that in the Shark II. Topsheet is thicker than Shark II's but thinner than BW2's. The material in the topsheet itself seems to be the same as that in the BW2 rs's. Furthermore, the throw angle of Grip-S ES is much higher than that of Shark II.
Nittaku Resound
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 10:04am
So cotdt, is the Grip-S topsheet medium-hard and solid like lets say TG2 Neo or other chinese rubbers? What is the feeling of it? The sponge as i understand is playable and between DHS Neo sponge and modern tensors so i got an ok for the sponge.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

So cotdt, is the Grip-S topsheet medium-hard and solid like lets say TG2 Neo or other chinese rubbers? What is the feeling of it? The sponge as i understand is playable and between DHS Neo sponge and modern tensors so i got an ok for the sponge.

My Grip-S is from ttnpp and the sponge looks to be 1.8-1.9mm or so. The topsheet feels exactly like the BW2 topsheet but thinner, hardness of material is similar to the Hurricanes but not as tacky. About same mild tackiness as a tensor rubber.

In any case, Samsanov and the Chinese women's team use it so I gave Grip-S E a try and it plays really well.

Edited by cotdt - 08/14/2012 at 10:21am
Nittaku Resound
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 10:50am
Thanks anyway, Samsonov uses Grip-S, Guo Yue uses E if i remember correctly but these two have different topsheets. Thats what i am asking about, has the official Grip-S the same topsheet as the ttnpp version? If not, what is it like? Sorry i am persistent.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 12:56pm
I own  Whale 2 RS, GRIP-S E, Grip-S E.S and Shark 2 tuned Tuned yellow medium sponge.  ALL of them are DIFFERENT to each other. Whale 2 RS and GRIP-S E&E.S are pretty the same but still has got MINOR differences. However SHARK 2 has NOTHING TO do neither with regular Grips nor GRIPS E-E.S.

Topsheet, sponge are different animals. GSES is still harder than Shark2 MEDIUM, and sponges have nothing to do.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 2:04pm
Here's some more forum goodies for the original Grip-S (which may or may not have any bearing on Grip S Europe Soft, heck, one sheet of Grip S may be nothing like the 2nd):

Grip-S Review - spoiler, don't remove glue layer

pages of original Grip-S review and speculation
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 6:42pm
Thank you very much, i havent read the first link. I have read the second two times and i didnt get the information about the  amount of difference in topsheets. Will read the first and try to write my review - yeah i am pretty lazy Embarrassed.

Edited by Stoi - 08/14/2012 at 6:42pm
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 6:44pm
i'm still waiting for Stoi's review that he promised
Nittaku Resound
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

i'm still waiting for Stoi's review that he promised

OK Pinch ! I will edit my first post now!

manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

ok i looked at the ittf covering websites. Grip-S and Grip-S Europe have different stamps on them 74-008 and 74-014. doesn't that mean they have different top sheets if there is a different number??? i

Not At All, tenergy 05 have diferent number tham tenergy 05 fx , but the topsheet is the same just change sponge hardness...
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 9:12pm
Finished my review for now. Thanks for the information manofan. I thought that as well too, i was wrong.
manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 7:43pm
Plz, tell us more about the Grip-s Europe sof, are u still using it??
can u compare the G-sEsoft to t05 or t64??

thanks
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 6:17am

I added some updates from my last semi-serious training. The rubber doesnt suit me so i dont think i should take the time to adjust to it. I will be using CJ8000 though it is way harder to master cause of their ultra high throw. The rubber will either go for sale/trade or sit with the other rubbers. I cant believe a 10$ rubber has what i was looking for... Something nice i will miss is the easiness to counterspin.

manofan i can add anything else you like to know - except choping LOL - just be more specific. I will be able to play shortly with T05 as soon as my mates get their new rubbers, just dont expect it to have the same brushing capabilities.

manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 10:11am
can u compare the throw , counter attacks, and spin on loops of t05 t64 and GSEuro?
thnaks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic