FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How is the topspin applied in this serve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

Wow, a lot of misinformation here! Confusing a clear stabing (or hook) serve reverse pendulum, and multiple people agreeing with it... Really? people?

There's no top spin on those serves. It's merely the opponent misread a no (little?) spin serve as a heavy back spin serve because of the contact point and downward motion. He then over compensates for nothing.

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah, not sure why people think there is spin or reverse pendulum, or even brushing the "backhand side" of the rubber.
It is purely a no spin service, by contacted the ball on a higher position, with a underspin motion.
This is something LGL did a lot - either no spin or underspin serve.
Sponsored Links

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 9:39pm
The serves have side spin on some of them.  That's why the balls goes off the left side of the table after contacting receivers rubber.  

Here what I see for each of the serves in the video.

Serve #1  little topspin 
Serve #2  little topspin 
Serve #3  lots of topsin, misread as underspin
Serve #4 side spin
Serve #5 side spin
Serve #6  little topspin 
Serve #7  lots of topspin, misread as underspin

I play enough little kids to know all their silly tricks...lol.
Even when do variations of the reverse pendulum serve.  He only has 3 serves with that motion. I wish him well since it's now all over youtube for his opponents to scout...lol.

Edited by power7 - 09/16/2012 at 9:41pm
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

The serves have side spin on some of them.  That's why the balls goes off the left side of the table after contacting receivers rubber.  

Serve #1  little topspin 
Serve #2  little topspin 
Serve #4 side spin
Serve #5 side spin
Serve #6  little topspin 

Even when do variations of the reverse pendulum serve.  He only has 3 serves with that motion. I wish him well since it's now all over youtube for his opponents to scout...lol.

Without being an authority on the subject, I do believe that the selection of serves was chosen for effect and that if the serve was returned correctly, we would see that sidespin was not a serious element on most of the serves, with the exception of the one he sent down the line.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 4:27am
It's apparent those little folks are pretty aware of the fact that varying amounts of topspin and sidespin have been put on the ball.  Had they misread them as heavy backspin, they would have opened up the paddle face more.  Instead they closed it, under-compensated for the kick and ended up catching the edge of the paddle.

At 44:02 is a demonstration of the hook serve by Kreanga, and below is a gif for that sequence

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 11:02am

Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Serve #1  little topspin 
Serve #2  little topspin 
Serve #4 side spin
Serve #5 side spin
Serve #6  little topspin 

Without being an authority on the subject, I do believe that the selection of serves was chosen for effect and that if the serve was returned correctly, we would see that sidespin was not a serious element on most of the serves, with the exception of the one he sent down the line.
He's probably confusing the little kids with those three serves.  The key is his paddle speed, his beginning and end motion of the serve.  Kids at that level cannot read the spin and don't know how to ignore his feints.  So if you look at serve 4 and 5 the paddle ends perpendicular to the net, most experience players read that as side spin.

Depends how he plays his game as well.  If he was serving underspin for 6 points and then throw these topspin/sidespin serves many players will miss.  It's a simple point for kids at their level.

If the receiver is strong enough and aware of his tactics, these serves are ripe for the kill, aim for the middle and rip it into his pocket or elbow and watch the fun as you jam him, since he doesn't return to ready position fast enough...cheeky little kid, already thinks he has an ace in most of those serves...tired of looking at kids playing TT, did that all weekend.  Show me some men playing TT...LOL
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

Wow, a lot of misinformation here! Confusing a clear stabing (or hook) serve reverse pendulum, and multiple people agreeing with it... Really? people?

There's no top spin on those serves. It's merely the opponent misread a no (little?) spin serve as a heavy back spin serve because of the contact point and downward motion. He then over compensates for nothing.

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah, not sure why people think there is spin or reverse pendulum, or even brushing the "backhand side" of the rubber.
It is purely a no spin service, by contacted the ball on a higher position, with a underspin motion.
This is something LGL did a lot - either no spin or underspin serve.

THIS is what happens if you manage to brush with backhand side
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 5:48pm
This is the best example I've found of a sidespin-topspin (not a no-spin) kick / hook serve (notice the reaction of ball off the receiver's bat & then off the ground). The effect is exacerbated by the receiver's deciding to contact the ball near the edge of his bat (rather than near the middle) on this passive return attempt, but still:

ClapClapClap

Edited by slevin - 07/31/2014 at 5:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic