Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas Blaze Speed & Spin Short Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas Blaze Speed & Spin Short Pips
    Posted: 09/19/2012 at 8:21am
Been a while since I last reviewed rubbers for Adidas and it's a great timing that they sent me these 2 new rubbers which are short pips. Having 2 versions for players to choose from, The Blaze Speed and Spin pips are another high quality products from Adidas.

Blaze Spin 

Blaze Speed

both rubbers have:

thickness: 1.8mm
weight: 50 gms (1.8mm); 64 gms; 2.0mm (which I asked a friend to weight for me) for both rubbers
dimensions: 169x169mm
hardness: sponge is medium soft
Test blades: Challenge Speed 7 ply all wood limba blade; Challenge Force 5 ply Limba Blade. Stiga Rosewood 5

I have used short pips in the past extensively as a backhand rubber. i have owned ritc 802-40, stiga royal, stiga radical in the past and have also tried tsp spectol and butterfly raystorm. Ive been excited to try these pips since i havent used anything new of a short pip from another brand for a while now. 

both pips are high quality pips out from the factory. each of their topsheet is very thin unlike that of the 802-40's topsheet which has a thicker base. its like pips were added to an extremely thin flat layer that is about 0.2-0.3mm thin. 

both sponges have the same hardness. felt like a 34-35 degree DHS scale hardness to me. The sponge for both pips is a semi-porous ESN sponge. On closer inspection you would see that the spacing of the pips between the speed ad spin versions are obvious. The Speed version has bigger spacing in between pips and the Spin version has lesser space in between pips.

the picture above is the Blaze Speed on top and Blaze Spin on the bottom (i took photos of both red and black spin and speed versions)
you will see that the Blaze Speed on top has a narrower pip diameter. The Speed's pip has a straight vertical design after its short conic base while the Spin version has a wider conical design from its base to its top. both pips have a ribbed design. 

side by side you can see and compare the pip structures and spacing between the Spin (red) and Speed (black) on the above picture.

My lady friend who was a former national player was also excited to test these rubbers with me. She is a short pips user since she first learned table tennis. She has a US equivalent rating of at least 2300+. I glued the 3 pips (2 on my challenge force blade and 1 on my friend's rosewood 5). i think its important to mention that both the Speed and Spin version have some sort of reverse doming when i was placing them flat on the table before gluing. I couldn't smell the tuning though. 

We both immediately made drills with the 2 pips. She used the red speed version while i was using the red spin version on the backhand. both pips are very fast on a 1.8mm thickness especially the Speed version. If compare it with other pips I have used i would say the Speed version is as fast as the Stiga Royal, faster than the Butterfly Raystorm and Stiga Clippa. The Spin version is slower than the Royal by a few notches but still faster than the Clippa or 802-40. 

The Speed version has a very good knuckle ball effect due to its narrower pip diameter and wider spacing. The knuckle ball is really annoying especially when a high rating player plays with it. The speed version takes a bit of adjustment for me. it has a lower arc than the Spin version but nevertheless a very good attacking pips. The Spin version on the other hand is more versatile in terms of spin variations. The Speed version is linear and predictable. You hit the ball or brush the ball, the spin isnt much to be expected. The Spin version however can several effects to the ball. From a spinny brush against underspin balls which i really find not difficult to lift in my backhand to producing a knuckle ball effect. The knuckle ball effect of the Spin version is not as profound as the Speed version. The Spin version is spinnier than the Royal or 802-40 but on par with the Raystorm. Both pips have a medium soft sponge and the ball kinda sinks onto the sponge. 

on the forehand, I also tested both pips. On hitting and smashing the Speed version is awesome. On driving with some brushes, spinny pushes and serving, the spin version is better. The speed version is an all out attacking pips but also has a good blocking ability where the return of a topspin ball has lesser spin and most of the time a sort of float. The spin version is more predictable in blocking against it or attacking against it. In terms of control, the spin version is easier to handle and has more margin for errors. The speed version gets to shine if you are an all out attacker that wants to take risks.

I'm very impressed with the 2 pips and I would recommend the Blaze Spin for all around short pip users who wants to attack and at the same time have variations in their game in terms of spin generation, hitting and blocking. The Blaze Speed is for players who attacks relentlessly and want to have more knuckle ball effects on the ball. The speed version is for advanced players only in my opinion

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

YosuaYosan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YosuaYosan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2012 at 9:48am
Most intriguing!
Thanks a bunch for the review, Sir!

I like the way Adidas names its products.. Simply Blaze Speed and Spin..

If I could ask you a question, how does the Blaze Speed compared to Spectol?
GFoT| Blade : ProTop Arylate FL • FH : DHS 3 NEO BLACK MAX • BH : Kokutaku 007 Inner Power Sponge RED MAX

Crossover to Takeover!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2012 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by YosuaYosan YosuaYosan wrote:

Most intriguing!

thanks. i would definitely say that spectol has a lesser springy sponge with a more profound knuckle ball effect, the speed version is spinnier by a notch. The speed version grips the ball better
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2012 at 8:54pm
Would be the Blaze spin a good transition rubber coming from a nimbus medium
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2012 at 9:05pm
nagatito, the blaze spin is user friendly for a short pip. i suggest you get the 1.8 for better control. also it has some grip on the ball and you can spin with it to some extent

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2012 at 9:38pm
 Great review and great pics yogi! Thumbs Up
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 5:26am
Originally posted by YosuaYosan YosuaYosan wrote:

Most intriguing!

how is spin blaze compared to 802-40 or flarestorm II
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:33am
frogger thanks.

bbkon, blaze spin has narrower pips than 802-40 but the blaze spin is spinnier. i also noticed that the pip structure of the 802-40 is shorter than the blaze pips. i havent tried flarestorm

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

frogger thanks.

bbkon, blaze spin has narrower pips than 802-40 but the blaze spin is spinnier. i also noticed that the pip structure of the 802-40 is shorter than the blaze pips. i havent tried flarestorm

does blaze spin makes a loud sound when hitting  like glued?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

frogger thanks.

thank you yogi bear!!  where it will be sold?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 6:53pm
its already out in the market about a month ago. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 4:56am
tested the blaze spin again yesterday and it felt really nice on attacking and blocking. its spinny for a short pip in the sense that you can backhand loop with it to some extent. i think 1.8mm is the way to go for people who would like an aall around attacking short pip set up. also, it feels nice when placed on a 5 ply limba all wood blade

apsjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apsjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 6:34am
Hey Yogi who's selling it in the Philippines?

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 9:14am
www.greenpaddle.com 

chameleon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 1:04am
nice review yogi...would you recommend it as an upgrade from 802-40?
Ma Lin Carbon ST
FH: Acuda S3 max
BH: Joola Turbo 2.0
STIGA Offensive Classic
FH: Acuda S2 max
BH: 802-40 max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 5:06am
chameleon, definitely! the quality of the pips are much better including the sponge. also, it plays better even at 1.8mm only

JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 8:50pm
Hi Yogi,

Are you still using/ testing these pips?

I'm interested if the Blaze speed has changed characteristics and how it is lasting?
Regards,
Jonathan
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 9:24pm
I saw these over at megaspin when i was looking to add to my bag will eventually but i'm doing Andro's offerings right now so here is my question :)

Yogi how would you compare them to Andro's Hexer and Blowfish versions?

Thanks for these reviews Thumbs Up

Edited by The Shakehander - 10/23/2012 at 9:25pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by JEAus JEAus wrote:

Hi Yogi,

Are you still using/ testing these pips?

I'm interested if the Blaze speed has changed characteristics and how it is lasting?

yes im still using it in my spare blade. its pretty durable though i really caution people not to use voc glue because this can shrink. with water based glue i didnt see any shrinkage

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2012 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

I saw these over at megaspin when i was looking to add to my bag will eventually but i'm doing Andro's offerings right now so here is my question :)

Yogi how would you compare them to Andro's Hexer and Blowfish versions?

Thanks for these reviews Thumbs Up

its closer to the hexer sp's sponge when i compared both side by side. didn't test the hexer sp though.

nonoy_m View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonoy_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 11:26pm
hi yogi_bear,
would you recommended putting the blaze spin on the adidas v1.3 off- blade? Smile
tabletennis for health
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 1:24am
yes the blade and sp combination is ok

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic