Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEXY Calix II (Calix 2) and Qabod reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Calix II (Calix 2) and Qabod reviews
    Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:21am
A number of testers have been recruited and are going to make a comparative analysis of the two nexest NEXY blades: Calix II and Qabod.
So I thought it's best to have one thread collecting the reviews of both blades. Please post your reviews here, and I will provide direct links to them in this first post.

This is not restricted to comparative reviews. Feel free to post individual reviews of one blade, and I will link them here as well.

Comparative reviews Calix II and Qabod:

Calix II only reviews:

Qabod only reviews:

PS: Keywords for the search function: NEXY Calix II; NEXY Calix 2; NEXY Qabod.

Edited by arg0 - 08/11/2014 at 4:02am
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:21am
Official info about Calix II [note: work in progress]

I intend to gather here information officially released by NEXY about Calix II in this forum and on the nexy.com website.

Official pictures of Calix II
Originally posted by <a href=http://www.nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1321 target=_blank>nexy.com</a> and <a href=http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35293&PID=629863&title=nexy-designers-diary#629863 target=_blank>Nexy</a> nexy.com and Nexy wrote:

Calix II - design note

It's been some time already since Nexy released the second version of Calix II.

Yes, Nexy named it 'CALIX II', which will naturally remind you of the second version of CALIX.
But those two blades are not much in common, and I have to make it clear here.

CALIX was born through a luck I did not work for much, frankly speaking.

Initial aim for the blade was this.
I wanted to make a blade which has apparently different two faces.
One is a very aggressive face. It has to guarantee speedy and powerful drive.

Another one is very the other very opposite way.
It has to absorbs the power. It should not react much to the coming ball.
We can say that it's kind of passive and dull some time,
which will make good control when you block the ball.

So, with CALIX, you can exert two opposite functions.

One is speedy top spin, amazing enough to surprise most players,
when you consider that the blade is only 4.9mm thick.

The other one is the power to absorb the impact of the ball.
With this absorbing function, you can place the ball very close to the net, if you want.

You will have easier feeling receiving your opponent's services, too.

I wanted to keep this character for the next blade.
But I was not sure whether I would really make something good as much as CALIX.

I was not sure whether I stop here and try for something new,
because CALIX was so good.

But I started to rearrange the composition of Calix's wood layers,
and made a decision to name it "CALIX II", because I knew I could make some other thing,
out of all these good features of CALIX.

So, this CALIX II is very similar to Calix, but not the same one at all.

It has longer trajectory, and generally better feeling, due to thicker body.

The feeling is not something you can find from other blades.
It has pleasing sound and control from that feeling.
It's not artificial, but also you can not say that only natural woods mixture can make this kind of feelings.

The added thickness made all things more harmonious.

If the Calix was aiming at a small but enthusiastic group of players,
then Calix II is now aiming at larger group of players, who wants more power.

Still the big gap between blocking and attacking of Calix remains in Calix II.

You can defend the ball easily and land it short to the net, because it absorbs the power,
and also you can make very powerful drive,
when you want to attack, because it's stiff and solid inwardly.

What's really good with this blade is that you can turn from defending position to attacking position anywhere and anytime, if you try.

Even though you are away from the table, due to the defensive position,
still you can send the ball far away with big power when you attack, because it has that quality.

And with good control close to the table with its absorbing character,
you can have slight more time to turn from defending position to attacking position with less effort,
which will make a very big difference in your play in the end.

With this blade, Nexy will not write any abstract adornment in its explanation.
All things are quite true.

It's good, and it's already proven in the market.

Calix porved that this big gap between attack and defense is really something extraordinarily awesome,
and Calix II is moving the overall that good quality a little bit forward, and became more attacking.
So, this will definately satisfy you.

Just make a decision, whether you enjoy this new quality or not.

Originally posted by <a href=http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35293&PID=621567&title=nexy-designers-diary#621567 target=_blank>Nexy</a> Nexy wrote:

[about Calix and Calix II]

As far as I've been testing, Calix II is faster, and has better power.
Calix is something we can try at most, but Calix II is more reasonably optimistic, because it fits the popular needs.
By the way, I became a bad person in Korea, when I wrote that I ovecame Calix with CalixII.
I wrote that CalixII is better in all aspects than calix, and there are so many calix ans, and they got angry. They told me that I should not have said that.
But actually, when I finished Calix, I was not sure I could make something better that that with the similiar concept. So, when I finished CalixII, I was so glad that I was really proud of it.
Any way, both blades are really nice.
I think once you like Calix, then you will like CalixII more.

The composition of Calix is Mahogany*-Ayous-Carbon-Kiri-Carbon-Ayous-Mahogany* (source_mahogany*, source_ayous, source_kiri); all the wooden layers of Calix are burned (source).
The materials Calix II is made of are the same as Calix (source).

* The info that the outer layer is Mahogany does not come from Nexy. Also, I remember having read someone saying the outer layer is Walnut instead of Mahogany, but I can't find it back. Anyway, I'm no wood expert but to me it looks more like Mahogany than Walnut.

Edited by arg0 - 10/03/2012 at 5:58pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 2:22am
Official info about Qabod [note: work in progress]

I intend to gather here information officially released by NEXY about Qabod in this forum and on the nexy.com website.

Official pictures
Originally posted by <a href=http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35293&PID=651211&title=nexy-designers-diary#651211 target=_blank>Nexy</a> Nexy wrote:

I recently released new blade "Qabod", and it shows what surface wood affect on the blade as a whole. It's very similar to Calix II, but I carefully studied what will make the next version blade after Calix II. And I found out that new surface wood will definitely change the function and character of the blade. So, Qabod is similar to Calix II but very different blade.

All the wooden layers of Qabod are burned (source).

Edited by arg0 - 10/03/2012 at 5:13pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 5:22am

Comparative reviews Calix II and Qabod

After 2 weeks of waiting impatiently, I have gotten myself with the these 2 wonderful blades from nexy. I could not believe my eyes seeing very finely crafted blades. For a newcomer of a company, Nexy has shown that it can produce high quality blades. Upon first look of the 2 blades, if they don't have any logos or brand names, you could easily mistake them for a high quality europen blade and maybe even close to a butterfly blade. The craftmanship is superb and handles of the 2 blades are very comfortable and smooth. 

The Calix 2 was at 86 grams and the Qabod was at 89 grams. Both have very thin blade thickness. the Calix 2 was approx. 5.3mm and the Qabod was approx. 5.2mm. Both of the blades are pretty well balanced in terms of weight distribution and even with the Qabod didn't feel heavy. The Mahogany outerply of the Calix 2 as well as the walnut outer ply of the Qabod were both very good to look at aside from the paint job on the blades. With the Qabod, the paint design is radical and its like the path taken by the Hayabusha blades of Xiom.

The Qabod was the one i tested first together with our head coach who is a former national player, champion and national coach, also an Asian Cup top 16 in his prime. The Qabod was joined by an LKT Rapid Speed and a Calibra LT Sound. Although by many standards the LKT Rapid Speed is not really that fast I could feel the speed of the blade. This is the reason why i chose the LKT Rapid speed as one of my test rubbers in order for me to see and feel how fast really is the blade. This is OFF+ for me. In terms of speed I would compare it to a butterfly Jun Mizutani with a more woody feel. Yes, even with the carbon layers, it didn't feel like a carbon blade at all which felt really good. My coach who prefers all wood blades said that he doesn't feel the carbon but the blade seems very fast when I also placed a P7 for additional testing. I thought at first it would be just like a yasaka ma lin carbon and nothing more but it felt different and its significantly faster the yasaka ma lin carbon. The speed and feel of the blade was great in counterhitting and loop driving. its above average on looping but its more of a loop driver or hitters blade. You can spin well with it no problem about that. I would also to emphasize that this blade is good for middle distance and away from the table. Especially with fast euro rubbers like adidas P7, Tenzone or Tibhar 5Q and 1Q, playing far from the table wouldn't be too hard. Near table, players might do some adjusting because of the Qabod's speed.

The Calix 2 surprised me more than the Qabod. Although the Qabod was faster and has more solid shots, the feel, average off speed and control of the Calix 2 made me like the Calix 2 more than the Qabod. My coach liked the Qabod better because he says its as fast as his vintage DHS 08 though he wanted it a bit more heavy like 96 grams. What I like about the Calix 2 is that it has some flex whenever I loop the ball either with slow spinny loops or faster forward closed racket loops. It reminded me of a donic burn wood with carbon. Its the closest i can compare to. Both the Qabod and Calix 2  have less vibration which i like. Definitely a good loping carbon blade like the Tube Carbo of stiga but has more lfex, not head heavy especially if you use a chinese rubber on the forehand and doesn't vibrate much. A medium distance and a close to the table blade, its above average speed and preference for control and placement shots would surely suit players who wouldn't want to compromise speed over control. 

Overall, these 2 blades are both admirable of their playing characteristics and fine craftsmanship. A bit pricey for some people but I would definitely pay that much for both quality and performance which can be found in these 2 blades.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 6:56am
[Edit: Oct. 25, 2012: updated with more playing impressions]

Comparative review: Calix II and Qabod

Oct. 6, 2012.

I received the blades a few days ago. As usual with Nexy blades, the build quality is very high: regular shapes, clean cuts, smooth finishes, layers of uniform thickness and made of one piece. It'd rate it on par with high-end blades from manufacturers such as Butterfly or Nittaku.

I'm still waiting for three new sets of rubbers that I ordered for the test to arrive, so let's start with the anatomy of the blades.

Construction:

Calix II has the same structure as Calix, but a 0.5mm thicker core. The blade is 5.4mm thin and the layers are 5W+2C (5 wood + 2 carbon):
Mahogany - Ayous - Carbon - Kiri - Carbon - Ayous - Mahogany.

Qabod at 5.5mm is just slightly thicker and features a different surface wood. I'm not sure what wood this is, I'll investigate. Maybe Walnut?

As you can see from the following picture (right click and download or view in full size), the thickness of the layers is nearly identical. Calix II FL on the left; Qabod ST on the right.
Calix II and Qabod layers

--
Oct. 10, 2012.

Test setups
The rubbers have arrived. As I explained in this thread, I bought three sets of rubbers, and in order to keep costs at a reasonable level, I was looking for inexplensive rubbers that would not feel too different from those I use normally. I ended up buying Dawei Inspirit Quattro UltraLight (DIQUL) 2.0 for my forehand, as a replacement to XIOM Vega Pro, and Stag Ninja Attack (SNA) 2.0 for my backhand, as a replacement to Nittaku Hi Super Drive.

So, my test setups are:
  • Calix II FL 85g, DIQUL 2.0 + SNA 2.0
  • Qabod ST 87g, DIQUL 2.0 + SNA 2.0
Yesterday I hit the first balls with the new setups. Actually, I did something I would never advise anyone to do: I went to an official match with two new blades and completely new rubbers, without having ever played with the new rackets. Actually, contrary to my expectations, I even found out that DIQUL is rather tacky: at least to me, as I never played with tacky rubbers before. Well, the reason I did this is that our opponents were rather weak and I wanted to test the new blades ASAP, and moreover I was confident that, even if I lost, my team mates would lead our team to victory. Turns out we won all our matches, so I could not play much: some warm-up and one match with each of the two blades.

Test strategy
What follows are my very first impressions. The two rackets have the same rubbers, so I will compare them against each other, first. I won't be able to compare the blades directly to any other setup, right now, because, in order to filter out the characteristics of the rubbers, I'd first need to put the third pair of rubbers on a blade I know. However, for the time being, the third pair of rubbers is glued on a Yinhe T-7 Light, which I also bought only recently. But I want to compare Calix II and Qabod to another carbon blade before switching to my loyal all wood setups.
So I plan to test as follows:
  • compare Qabod and Calix II
  • add Yinhe T-7 Light to the comparison
  • add Nexy Amazon to the comparison
  • add Nexy Lissom to the comparison
  • add a well-known all-wood blade to the comparison, e.g. Nittaku Violin or Acoustic

This will take some time, so bear with me and check back from time to time.

--

Oct. 10, 2012 (posted on Oct. 11).

First impressions
So as said the first time I played with the blades was in real matches. Fortunately, both opponents had a rather similar game: mostly defensive and rather slow, spin-oriented. As I was stronger than them when I did fully focus, I also sometimes could take the luxury to experiment a variety of strokes.

However, switching from XIOM Vega Pro to DIQUL on FH was quite a challenge. Since I am not used to tacky rubbers at all, I was a bit in trouble especially when blocking or playing flat hits. When playing spinny shots (looping, pushing) I was able to get better control: maybe producing my own spin helped me to overcome the problem of not knowing accurately how the ball would bounce back from the tacky rubber.
Actually, I played the first match with Calix II and, quite to my surprise, I managed to land some very well placed loops, especially from mid distance, as well as some effective drop shots with sharp angles close to the table. I had more problems in adjusting to the higher speed of Qabod. I tried looping from mid to far distance, but I sent most of the balls long. So for the rest of the game I settled to playing closer to the table, with short strokes; and so I found a way to tame Qabod, at least against a rather defensive-oriented player. Blocks and flips were sharper and more effective with Qabod, but controlling speed was easier with Calix II and my percentage of successful returns was higher.

SNA on BH is much more similar to the rubber I use normally, so no surprises in the BH rubber department. Both blades are good for pushing, though I felt I was able to produce more spin with Calix II. As I was playing against defenders, and BH topspin is not my weapon of choice, I cannot tell much more as to looping with a classic rubber on those blades.

But two matches pass quickly, so take these as preliminary impressions. I need some more playing time with the blades to get a better opinion. And I need to be able to focus on the blades, rather than on the opponents.

--

Oct. 25, 2012

Second impressions
I got some more playing time with Calix II and Qabod.
First of all, I've found out I don't like tacky rubbers, so the next thing I'll do is to take off those DIQUL and put on some classic, linear, rubbers.
Anyway, having played a bit more with them, I can confirm that Qabod is definitely faster than Calix II, the feel is harder as well.
Coming from slower setups, I had problems taming Qabod's speed when power looping or hitting.
However, I was surprised by how controllable the short game is (serves, pushes, soft blocks, even drop shots) with both blades. Actually, I couldn't notice a big difference between Calix II and Qabod in this department and I didn't need to adapt much even with respect to Lissom, whose max speed is lower by a fair amount. If I remember correctly, power absorbing capability was one of the design requirements, and this is why Ayous was used as second layer. I can confirm that it works.
Note: Nexy said he burned all layers of Calix, and I assume also of Calix II and Qabod. However, the Ayous layers in those three blades are not as dark as the burned Ayous layers of Amazon. Actually, the burned Ayous in Amazon is *much* darker. I wonder whether this is due to a difference in the wood used, or if there was a different burning process.

A club mate of mine who plays with Viscaria and has much better technique that I do, briefly tested the two setups and his impression were that Calix II was slower and that Qabod came closer to the speed of Viscaria. On the other hand, he plays with faster rubbers (Calibra LT), so I'd say that, regarding speed: Calix II < Viscaria < Qabod. In both cases, he praised the feedback of the two blades in terms of vibrations and the excellent control.

[...more to come]

Edited by arg0 - 10/25/2012 at 1:58am
Join the Nexy Clan!
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 8:59am
[placeholder] for: 

Calix II review

Qabod review

Comparative review
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 11:11am
updated with reviews and pics
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2012 at 10:56am
I feel very lucky to be picked to review these blades.  I've used a lot of blades in my time, and feel I can give reasonable info, but I don't do a huge amount of blade reviewing.

First Impressions:

Both blades are impeccably made, and both top plies are high quality.  As has already been noted, Calix 2 has the same construction as the original Calix, but a thicker core.  Qabod looks at first glance to be identical in construction to Calix 2, but with a walnut top ply.  Nexy has the Calix 2 listed as 5.4mm thick, and Qabod 5.5mm thick, and this looks to be right by eye.  I don't have any accurate way of confirming this.  My Calix 2 is 86g, FL handle.  My Qabod is 89g, FL handle.  Makes sense that the Qabods will be coming in a bit heavier on average with the harder top ply.

Just bouncing a ball on the bare blade brings no surprises.  Qabod is noticeably harder.

In my rubber stock at the moment, I have Rakza 7, Acuda S3, IQUL, Bluefire M3, Tin Arc.  I'll be using a selection of these for initial testing.

Calix 2 Review

I was a big fan of the original Calix, but I had a problem adapting to it on my backhand side.  It had a slow low gear and big flex, which resulted in a fantastic experience for my forehand, but it just couldn't make the backhand side work.  I have distinct memories of using Vega Europe on the BH of the Calix and really struggling, while at the same time playing well with anything on the FH.

Calix 2 goes a long way to sorting this out.  It still retains some of the low-gear absorbing nature, but the thicker core helps to flatten the gears out.  It's more linear then the original, and the flex doesn't kick in as sharply.  It fixes the problems I experienced, and becomes a fascinating blade to use.  You can still pull off crazy drop shots in the short game - this is much easier than most OFF- blades.  But it retains the higher gears to match most OFF- blades.  You still have to be aware of the low gear, and I find it helps to be a touch more active with slow strokes or passive blocking.

Coming from a more linear, stiff blade (Waldner Legend Carbon), some adjustment was needed, but the difference was more pronounced with some of the rubbers I tried.  Acuda S3 fared well here - it has a low-speed bounce of its own which helps to add a bit of pace.  Bluefire M3 is the most linear tensor I've used, and here you could really feel the difference when comparing to the Waldner.  The low gear was more obvious.

I can see where the TBS comparisons are coming from.  If I had to sum it up, imagine a TBS with a useful slower low gear.  That's selling the Calix 2 a bit short, because it has a better wood feel and the flex brings a big smile to your face.

Pushing - very controlled.  It's easy to keep the ball short with spin, and some tight angles are available.

Looping - excellent.  The flex is very useful here, and behaves in a very predictable way.

Serving - excellent.  The low gear makes serving short with high spin very easy.

Blocking - I found this slightly tricky, but still better than the original Calix.  The low gear can take you by surprise when you're not used to it.  You need a more active blocking style.  When you adapt, you can really take the pace off the incoming ball, and take opponents by surprise.  Personally, I like this behavior on the FH side, but I like a bit of bounce on the BH, so I tried Sigma Europe on the BH and it worked really well.

Qabod Review

When NEXY announced Calix 2, I was excited to see if the original Calix had become less focussed and easier for me to use.  Then Qabod appeared, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  A Calix with a hard outer - I couldn't picture how it would turn out, and I wasn't sure it would be my kind of thing.  Actually, I've been really surprised by Qabod so far, and I think I like it more than Calix 2.

edit - After several sessions with Qabod, I've gone the other way and prefer Calix 2 more.

Qabod shares a lot of the characteristics of the Calix family.  I felt that the lower gear shots were more precise with Qabod - the harder feel helps here.  And it blocks better than Calix 2 - you don't have to be so active, passive blocking is easier.  The main difference is the top-end speed, which is noticeably faster than the Calix 2.  On big shots, with the blade flexing, and with faster rubbers, it was lethal when flat hitting / looping - definitely OFF+.  This brings it back into non-linear behavior for me - low speed control is excellent for a blade in this category, but the top-end is very fast.  When combined with my regular rubber choice (Acuda S3 BH, Bluefire M3 FH), the difference in gears is too much for my skill level.

For me, the Qabod is a very focused blade.  If it suits your game, and you like OFF- with a OFF+ top gear, then it might be the best blade you can buy.  Calix 2 is more usable for me, and would probably suit a wider range of players.

Edited by AndySmith - 11/08/2012 at 7:13am
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2012 at 5:57pm
added some first impressions to my review
Join the Nexy Clan!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 8:45pm

This is a comparative review of the Nexy Calix II (86g, straight) and the Qabod (89g, straight). While I was planning on reviewing in the standard format, I realized that that wouldn’t add that much value as there are already many such reviews in this thread. I’ll also pitch in some comparisons to the Calix as well and add to the review the more I play.

I’ll focus on their characteristics comparative to other popular blades and also their value proposition.

I used the following rubbers for review (each blade had an identical set of FH and BH rubbers, so I could do a A-B comparison easily):

1.      Tenergy 05, 2.1mm

2.      Bluefire M1, 2.0mm

3.      Acuda S1 max

The 1st two rubbers were chosen especially because I am very familiar with them.

Blades with which A-B comparisons were done:

1.      Xiom Stradivarius (FL, 86g)

2.      Timo Boll ZLF (ST, 82g)

3.      Timo Boll Spirit (ST, 87g)

Note: my main blade is the Timo Boll ZLF which is a tad more expensive than these two.

Initial looks: both blades are beautiful to look at, though I prefer the looks of Calix and Calix 2 more than Qabod.

Anyways, I’m less concerned about looks and more on how they play. I sealed both using 1 layer of Joola varnish and put on T05 and S1 on each, as well as on the Stradivarius.

The outer ply of the Calix 2 seemed softer than that of the Qabod. I have not read the breakdown of the material used by the manufacturer other than the fact that the woods in Calix 2 & Qabod are burnt, but from other posters, I get that the Calix 2 has mahogany outers and the Qabod uses walnut.

Soft / Medium Counters: I started with some soft counters. Here, one gets the first feeling of the difference between the Nexy blades vs the ZLF, TBS or Strad. The Nexy blades seem to hit a bit softer on the soft shots as compared to the Butterfly and Xiom blades (all with Koto outers). Reading a few notes from the manufacturer, it seems that this was intentional: he wanted good absorptive properties on softer strokes along with power in the full-bodied strokes. When I amped the power up a bit, I found that:

Calix 2 < ZLF < Qabod < Strad on medium powered counters

Hard counters &  Loops:                             

In terms of power: ZLF < Calix 2 < Strad < Qabod

Topspin kick on slow loops: Strad = Calix 2 < Qabod < ZLF

Topspin kick on full-blooded loops: Strad = Calix 2 < ZLF < Qabod

Feel:      Now we come to (IMHO) perhaps the most important part. Why Calix 2 or Qabod as opposed to any other popular blades?

Calix 2 feel:         In a nutshell, here’s how I would describe it: the Calix 2 plays a lot like the TBS except that unlike the TBS (which has a comparatively stiffer / dead feel), it has a woody feel. Additionally, you’ll have better slow game control with the Calix 2 as opposed to the TBS (due to it hitting slower on slow strokes) while full-powered strokes are of similar OFF- rating. After playing, I read about the blade a bit and could perhaps attribute this feel to the fact that there seem to be two outer layers in the Calix 2 before the carbon layer (as opposed to one in the TBS or Strad) but I did not know this during my tests. There is a bit of an adjustment period coming from the TBS due to the fact that the carbon layer is further in (the catapault starts only on slightly faster strokes relative to the TBS / Strad) but this can of course be overcome with playing time. Calix 2 plays more like the TBS than the Strad, but only more woody and with better feel. I think this blade is a big improvement from the original Calix – the added thickness gives a better feel and power (Calix, according to me, is mainly for those who want thin, flexy blades for looping. The problem with the 1st Calix that is its non-linearity due to flex was a bit difficult to control for me).

Qabod feel:         I really liked the feel of this blade the most. It is clearly OFF+ but has great touch in slow strokes. However, it exhibits a great dwelly & woody feel in the fast loop-drives with loops really kicking off the table more than the other blades (including the BTY and Xiom ones). BTW: the outer ply of this blade (Walnut?) matches very well with the M1 2.0. Here again, there seem to be two layers prior to the carbon layer.

Bottom Line:

Why Calix 2: I’m not going to shy away from the price question: given that I’ve mentioned that this blade plays more like the TBS. I think this blade is for those who want the properties & power of composite but (unlike TBS) don’t want to give up the woody feel. So, perhaps, it is a bit like Innerforce ALC in that aspect, except with a better balance. Also, this would appeal to those who want to try a blade designed by a smaller niche manufacturer rather than a mass-market one. So, while it is priced higher than the Strad or TBS, it offers a slightly woodier feel and is less head heavy than the Innerforce ALC.

For those who prefer a non-woody stiffer feel, perhaps might lean towards the TBS.

Why Qabod:       Here’s the real value proposition. A lot of OFF+ blades are stiff and too bouncy in the short game. Not Qabod: this blade maintains the woody feel and is very playable in the short game. Full-blooded loops exhibit great dwell on the blade & kick off the table. Perhaps, this is like Mizutani Jun (though it is faster than the MJ on harder strokes) but with a bit better feel for some $40 less. I really liked this blade. The only unfortunate issue for me is that (unlike most on this forum) I prefer lighter blades (86g or less) as I can't play well with setups >185g. But that is just a personal choice that does not reflect on this blade's performance. I am seriously thinking of getting lighter rubbers (like the T05FX or Acuda S2) to try out on the Qabod to see if it can replace my primary setup. I felt the M1 played great on this blade, except that both M1 and Qabod are a wee bit heavy for my liking. However, for a lot of the members here, I think this blade would be ideal.

Edited by slevin - 10/22/2012 at 9:00pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2012 at 10:00pm
Will soon add some of my impressions and photos as I also received a Calix II blade.Hopefully even this week or next week the latest.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 3:39pm
My review on Calix II. Objective data first:

Provenance: presented by Nexy
Weight: 86 g
Thickness: around 5.5 -5.6 mm
Type: OFF
Handle: FL
Plys: 5W+2C
Build quality: excellent

Photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/NexyCalixII

I sealed (lightly) the surface of Calix II since I was afraid that uneven surface of burned walnut (??) might splinter a bit when rubbers are glued and taken off.

Quality of craftsmanship is excellent; I especially like the design of the new handle, the "lens" is exquisite, love it. Handle is smooth, no angles, wings are also slightly rounded which I can only applaud.

Balance is quite comfortable, right where I like it.

Rubbers: Air Illumina Alpha (38 deg, that is) 2.2 mm on FH, Xiom Omega IV Europe MAX on BH.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 3:39pm
Now about first practice with Calix II.

First of all - a small caveat - you should keep in mind that in the last 1-2 years I played primarily with rather thick blades (8-9 mm; BBC Ultima, Darker Speed 90, Nexy Sahara) and that affects my attitude toward the thinner, flexier blades. They no longer sit comfortably in my hand and I feel like I am playing with something fragile that can snap in my hand if I swing too much Smile

Secondly, I think I have made a mistake with BH rubber. For some reason (tensor on flexy blade?) O-4 Europe just doesn't play nice with Calix. I just couldn't get the right feeling of the ball, it went long quite often, and if I tried to compensate for that then my technique felt all wrong and the ball often ended up too short or just awkward. I will (actually already have) replace Omega with another Illumina 2.2 on BH as well, and then I will post more.

Now - subjective info:

Speed: OFF, of course. But not faster than my BBC Ultima or, say, TBS. About same as Galaxy (YTinhe) W-1, I think... or BBC 9-10-9.

Control: very nice. I liked it a lot in the short game (FH, of course; BH was all messed up, as I have mentioned above). Same with offensive game.

Flex: certainly present - this is a rather thin blade, after all. But not insane.

Vibration: almost none.

Throw angle: medium on slow or medium shots, slightly higher on loops. As I said there is a flex catapult but not crazy.

Game aspects

Looping - FH loops were quite controlled, and I was able to really use the flex, even when relatively close to the table. I think you should not couple this blade with crazy fast FH attacking rubber unless you are a really really advanced player. I liked how Illumina played with Calix II - I think it is mostly due to the fact that Illumina is not an OFF+ rubber, no sirree...

Blocking and flat hits - quite decent. I am coming from 1-plys or 8-mm thick BBC Ultima so no 5.5 mm blade can compete with them in blocking or flat game... but Calix II is very very decent there.

Pushes - quite controlled and very reliable. Good balance and nice angle.

Chopping - haven't really tried yet. I suspect it will not be extraordinary but who knows...

Serves - very good. Better than thick "flat" blades; very nice kick on underspin serves.

Fishing - also reliable. Away from the table, when you properly hit the ball, you engage the flex of the blade so it works at about the same gear as my regular blades.

=========

Also - I gave the blade to try to the two of my clubmates (5-7 minutes each). Both commented that control on FH was very very nice, and loops easily went into the table without much hassle. One of them usually plays with Butterfly VSG-2100 OFF+ blade and said that Calix II is certainly slower but still has enough power for him. The other one (used to play with TBS, now with old Btfy Oberon which is extremely close in build to Calix series) commented that it played nicer than his current blade with Srivers (non-boosted). Said it felt somewhat faster than TBS but control was at least as good. Wanted to play more... but didn't like the BH game (neither did I).

More will follow soon.

EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 10:10am
Just try the Calix 2, its one of the best blade I every tried, and one of the best looking blade I've seen.  the feel is not over powering, the speed is good for all types of shot, the sound is good like a natural all wood blade " even if its a carbon blade ".  I'm using a fast rubber Acuda S1 turbo FH and MP Kokutaku 110 on the BH.  one of the blade that I don't have to adjust that much.  Good for looping, and power drives. 
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 10:24am
I agree - the blade (Calix II) doesn't feel very carbon-like. There is no hard ping and dwell time is more reminiscent of fast wooden blades. But in my case it could be the rubbers I am using on it (Air Illumina Alpha) which are not extra fast. Acuda S1 Turbo is also not the speed demon. Still, both are fast OFF type rubbers, not very hard-sponged. That's the ticket, I guess.

EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 10:49am
I like the Calix 2, one of the major reason I love this blade is because of:
Weight its only 86g- The Balance is very good, not top Heavy nor Bottom Heavy
The handle, well shape an with good feeling and grip, as a player who uses backhand 70% on most of my game, I rely on a blades handle when hitting the ball. I believe a lot of you who tried Calix 2 has a positive reviews about the blade.   - I'm just one of it :D
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 10:54am
Jim, I couldn't agree with you more,  I will try M1 on it and see how it goes, Acuda S1 Turbo is not really my rubber of choice, it just so happen its the only one that I have that I haven't use yet.  I love Chinese tacky rubber like DHS H3 or Baracuda and now M1 
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by EZRO EZRO wrote:

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more,  I will try M1 on it and see how it goes, Acuda S1 Turbo is not really my rubber of choice, it just so happen its the only one that I have that I haven't use yet.  I love Chinese tacky rubber like DHS H3 or Baracuda and now M1 

M1 might be quite different. Also - I am afraid M1 with all its weight (it's rather heavy rubber) could shift the balance into the head of the blade. But ... let's wait for your impressions.

Did anyone try Calix II with Tenergy 05 MAX? or with some other medium-hard OFF+ rubbers?

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

M1 might be quite different. Also - I am afraid M1 with all its weight (it's rather heavy rubber) could shift the balance into the head of the blade. But ... let's wait for your impressions.

Did anyone try Calix II with Tenergy 05 MAX? or with some other medium-hard OFF+ rubbers?

I tried the Calix II using M1 2.0 and Tenergy 05 Max. I used these primarily because that's what I've used on my other blades so I can benchmark the blade correctly.

It plays well with them.

I concur on the head-heaviness - to me, both this blade and Qabod felt a wee bit head heavy with these rubbers. It wasn't a problem as I always use grips. So, instead of using a lighter grip (like Tourna Grip), I used a slightly heavier one to achieve blade balance. Problem solved.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 1:24pm
Wow Jim, You AND another don't like the BH game with Calix II? Wow. That is remarkable as (if you play similar style now compared to a few yrs ago) you have a BH reliant kind of game. You have natural ability and strength on BH wing and are very stable there prolly using anything. Myself, I use a very inexpensive Chinese rubber (non tacky) for BH, but just about any non-tacky Inverted rubber could work for me on BH.

Like the Calix, the Calix II has a kinda quirky BH, it absorbs a lot of energy on passive shots and weak forward shot, yet on medium to full power shots, the speed, spin, and control are there.

I agree that Calix II is the most controlable of hte series with a good balance of OFF capabilities and can also defend. It seem a 1/2 level slower than TBS, but definately in the lower part of the OFF range.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Wow Jim, You AND another don't like the BH game with Calix II? Wow. That is remarkable as (if you play similar style now compared to a few yrs ago) you have a BH reliant kind of game. You have natural ability and strength on BH wing and are very stable there prolly using anything. Myself, I use a very inexpensive Chinese rubber (non tacky) for BH, but just about any non-tacky Inverted rubber could work for me on BH.

Like the Calix, the Calix II has a kinda quirky BH, it absorbs a lot of energy on passive shots and weak forward shot, yet on medium to full power shots, the speed, spin, and control are there.

I agree that Calix II is the most controlable of hte series with a good balance of OFF capabilities and can also defend. It seem a 1/2 level slower than TBS, but definately in the lower part of the OFF range.

No, you got me wrong. I said that the combination of Calix II and Xiom O4-Europe on BH turned out to be a bad one. I have already replaced it with another Illumina Alpha on BH and will report on the results shortly. I certainly do NOT think that Calix's BH is bad.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 3:24pm

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 7:14pm
Alright Jim, Cool, my bad.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
r0b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r0b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 1:57am
Thanks for all the info so far guys.
I'm getting really interested in the Calix II Tongue
Joola Rosskopf Emotion & OSP V+
FH: Bluefire M2 2.0
BH: Bluefire M3 2.0
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 9:42am
I just tried M1 on the blade, head heavy is not a big factor since I'm using lighter MP on my BH, in which reduces the weight.   First impression, speed is modest, considering that the rubber is not Fast but spiny so the spin in looping specially close to the table is very good, I can say the arch is good not that high, depending on your style of hitting the ball. Mid table is good enough. What I can see "that its a winner to me" is the block and control, you can play around with all types of shots, you can counter easily since the speed is not overwhelming.   Over all impression I like it with the M1 than the Acuda S1 turbo. Maybe because I hit hard and the percentage of shots that goes in with the M1 is higher than with the Acuda S1 turbo.   
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 9:48am
wow nice looking blades!
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 9:56am
yes it is, one of the best looking blade I've ever seen and try... I couldn't agree with you more Wink
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 11:35am
Anyways, played more with Calix II - Air Illumina Alpha on both sides.

While I really like it on FH in all aspects, even some chopping can be done rather confidently.. it is a slightly different thing on BH.

When we did counterdrives with my sparring partner, Calix + AIA raised the ball over the net without any problems, however as soon as I tried to switch to counterlooping I felt some excessive catapult and had to stop. Couldn't find the right angle for reliable counterlooping there - when I thought I need to open it up just a little more I ended up overshooting the table.

Also, felt some unwelcome vibration on BH. I am not sure how that is possible since there is next to nothing when I do FH strokes, but...

My guess would be that freshly glued AIA might have something to do with it. I will have to repeat this after it settles down a bit.

Then I gave Calix II to my sparring partner and asked him to play more with it and then report back to me on his impressions. Hopefully he will do that today and then next week I will post his feedback. He has already reported that the combo feels faster than his Oberon with non-boosted Srivers L and close in speed to his TBS. He also said that the rubbers definitely provide much greater kick but that could be just rubbers (compared to non-boosted Srivers, almost any contemporary no-speedglue-needed rubber feels livelier and springier).

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 3:30am
Selling Qabod for charity

Hi all, I've had some more playing time with Calix II and Qabod, and Qabod is definitely out of my comfort range in terms of speed (consider that my main blade is Lissom, which is ALL+/OFF-). As I don't feel I can objectively review Qabod, I have decided I will continue with testing Calix II only. Also, I currently don't have many opportunities to find club who'd be interested in seriously testing Qabod.

As I did not pay the full price for Qabod, it would be unfair if I sold it and kept the money. Therefore, I've decided to sell it and donate the money to charity (either UNICEF or Emergency, an independent organisation providing free medical and surgical treatment to victims of war). I'll post proof of donation.

So, if you're interested in a near-mint Qabod blade (ST, 88g, lightly sealed with TSP Racket Coat, original box, only a few hours of playing time, no dings/dents), make me an offer, and you may get it for a bargain price (it's currently priced at $200 at nexy.com).
Join the Nexy Clan!
elmo51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 7:42am
Hi Arg0, why dont give it to mr Nexy for his water project?
Well I was so lucky to be one of the testers to and received the calix 2 and the quabod today, it was a very speedy delivery within a week from them to holland.
Thank you Nexy!

Both blades have great finishing and show very good craftmanship as I am used to from nexy after testing, the spartacus , lissom and calix.
Design is not the important part for me but as you can see from the pictures already posted that is nice to.
I think Nexy is developing into a very own style of his own so you can see imeditaley it is Nexy from the handle and the logo put on

They both weigh around 88 grams and I choose the straight handle for both to.
You can see a very good difference between the walnut from the quabod and the mahagony from the calix 2
The walnut feels harder and stiffer to even without the rubbers put on

No problems ataching my rubbers this time, with last calix my rubber curled up but this time it went on in one time.
I did notice that the walnut feels different with glueing, more rough and the mahagoni feels smoother.
I think the calix 2 iks slightly head heavy with the tenergy on the FH, the quabod feels more balanced

Tonight I will do my first testing with these 2.
Cant wait, I usaly play with calix 1 our with Donic waldner senso carbon so that will be my reference but i tested many blades from many brands already.
I put a tenergy 05 2,1 on the FH of both blades and Palio Blitz 2,1 on both BH's just as I am used to.
More will follow

Edited by elmo51 - 11/08/2012 at 10:26am
set up: Donic WSC

fh Cornileau target Pro GT H47

bh VS401 2,1

second set ups :

WSC

FH tenergy 05

BH Blitz

Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic