FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Reviews: RL Red Hammer blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews: RL Red Hammer blade
    Posted: 10/04/2012 at 11:56am
See the history of this famous blade at

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48929

Now for the short review:

Brand: Ross Leidy
Model: Red Hammer
Thickness: about 6 mm
Weight: about 90 g
Class: OFF
Plies: 7 wood

My pics:

the rest of them you can see here

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/RLRedHammer
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2012 at 11:56am
I played with Red Hammer twice- one for the entire session of 2 hours straight, without sitting down. The other one - for about 20 minutes next day.

First of all - this is not a very fast blade, which is quite fine with me. I would rate it at the lower edge of OFF class.

Speed: lower OFF, upper OFF-

Second - I put not very fast linear rubbers on it so as not to confuse myself whether it's the blade playing or the rubbers.

Therefore - FH: Air Illumina Alpha (Black), BH: Giant Dragon Karate Hard 2.0 mm (Red)

Control: pretty good, although you need to watch out for the catapult of the blade

Spin: better than thick 8mm blades, that's for sure - but that is not surprising. Very decent, anyway

Throw angle: rather low on slower shots, then catapult starts working

Flex: surprisingly flexy for a 7-ply. But for me it was a bit too much - I often pushed long because flex-catapult would start working; also some of the flatter loops were not going good for me because of that. But that is all a matter of habit. I am sure that the players who use 6mm thick blades with some flex will not find anything unusual here.

Vibration: almost none

Strokes: I cannot really go through all types - didn't have time for that. I should say that RH is pretty good in opening loops but lacked a bit of power on kill loops or in playing from afar. Good blocks, very good placement game. Surprisingly good chopping - especially with slower softer rubbers. OK in flat game but nothing extraordinary imho.

My recommendation for the next guy: put a non-MAX medium hardness tensor on FH, some linear non-springy rubber on BH and try it out. If you like tacky rubbers - I think RH would be OK with that on FH. Not sure about pips on BH - certainly wouldn't recommend fast SPs or anything like that.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2012 at 12:08pm
Oh and definitely seal it just a tad before putting the rubbers on - I didn't and now sponges of my two rubbers are covered with imprints of all signatures ... Cry

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2012 at 12:50am
Looking cool!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic