Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where should THUMB be during shakehand grip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

VGripper proposes that "thumb position correlates with paddle rotation in the grip. i.e FH, BH, or neutral biased grip."

I think this is sometimes true when you look at top players, but watching some videos closely, I think there are exceptions.  A good example of what he talking about is Kong Linghui, whose basic grip tends towards the BH side; his thumb rides up a bit, same with Zhang Jike, even when they hit forehands.  Actually, I think most people who play like that tend to have thumb higher. But there are guys who use a more forehand oriented grip on FH and they usually change their grip a lot when they hit backhands (e.g. pretty much every top German player, especially Boll) and the thumb position isn't always the same with this group.  For example, Timo Boll' thumb definitely does not ride up so far, but Kreanga is a really opposite extreme when he hits BH. 

Another thing is how far up or down the handle people generally grip, which can also vary a lot among really good players.  Some guys really tend to grip pretty far down the handle (Wang Liqin, Timo Boll, Cheng Yinghua), and some guys grip somewhat higher (Kreanga, ZJK).  If you grip low, your thumb will stay low.   

It's best not to think about grip too much when you are playing, it's got to be comfortable but automatic.     

Thumbs Up
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2019 at 5:21pm
Forgive me if you find out that this post is about 7 years old.

When you do forehand loop, you are supposed to press the index finger on the rubber, how about the thumb? If you let the thumb relax, the paddle face is going to to somehow as the thumb is not there to stop the paddle from moving.

A lot of people talk about holding the paddle like pinching it.  Does it mean that your thumb and index fingers should apply some pressure on the paddle all the time?
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Forgive me if you find out that this post is about 7 years old.

When you do forehand loop, you are supposed to press the index finger on the rubber, how about the thumb? If you let the thumb relax, the paddle face is going to to somehow as the thumb is not there to stop the paddle from moving.

A lot of people talk about holding the paddle like pinching it.  Does it mean that your thumb and index fingers should apply some pressure on the paddle all the time?
Drop here!

Not sure how hard of pressing you have in mind when you say pinching but yes, there should be some grip from thumb too. Most of the holding should be done by thumb and index finger, not from the rest of the palm.
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 4:11pm
In the bh, I see more high level players putting their thumb in the middle of the base of the fh rubber to exaggerate a bh grip, it helps tangentially grabbing the ball over the table for example but also on all bh strokes because it enhances the feel and stability by a lot, it supports the stroke in the same direction of the paddle and will participate a lot more in the system that welcomes the ball and sends it back. 
The thumb in the fh is not that important, it would push against the direction of the paddle so better leave it neutral at a place it does not do anything, gently resting on top of the handle sounds right to me on the fh.
This discussion was moot years ago when it was a very good idea to have a neutral grip to not mess with our game. Today, the almighty chiquita is too good a weapon to ignore and with its advent, a change of grip between fh and bh has become the norm. That change is possible only if the stroke decision is made very early; and with  a lot of practice of course.
Timo has changed his grip between his fh and bh since the 1st years when it was rare; now it would seem not doing it is a handicap.

Edited by stiltt - 11/17/2019 at 4:12pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2019 at 6:20pm

that's LYJ from that video. it is consistent. notice the thumb on the fh rubber during the bh.

Also it is interesting to notice that in bh to bh recovery, the thumb goes back to normal and comes back to the rubber if another bh is coming.

at 5m27 sec we see a few bh in a row and a clear view of the thumb going back and forth on the fh rubber:

Same for Lin Gaoyuan:

Same for Ma Long:

Edited by stiltt - 11/17/2019 at 6:39pm
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2019 at 11:03am
Perhaps the best grip is the one you can always use consistenly and hopefully with good results. It's one of those things that always seems to change with my game and I can never remember the 'default' way I usually hold the paddle. Sometimes I'll move fingers around if a shot isn't working  or playing against a particular style and then the entire foundation collapses. 

Edited by FinalFight - 11/19/2019 at 11:04am
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2020 at 7:00am
I worry that when people talk of neutral grip its not always clear what is meant. Some mention "fh with neutral grip" or "bh with neutral grip".
Really the original idea was to be neutral and relaxed at readiness or between shots. Then for each individual shot adapt or not for comfort, efficiency and creativity.
This flexible approach fits well the fact that our future stars begin when their hand size is dramatically smaller than it will be when they become senior players

inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2020 at 7:11am
I say this a lot, but messing with your grip is the ninth circle of table tennis hell*.

*  Which according to Dante is the greatest torture of all.  If there is someone you really hate, convince them they need to change their grip.  Thumb, forefinger, whatever.

Edited by Baal - 01/01/2020 at 7:12am
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2020 at 7:40am
Originally posted by FinalFight FinalFight wrote:

Perhaps the best grip is the one you can always use consistenly and hopefully with good results. It's one of those things that always seems to change with my game and I can never remember the 'default' way I usually hold the paddle. Sometimes I'll move fingers around if a shot isn't working  or playing against a particular style and then the entire foundation collapses. 

Just have a loose relaxed halfway grip and forget about it.
the very idea that fingers must be n a particular position is what is spoiling your technique
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic