Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best Blocking Setup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Blocking Setup?
    Posted: 10/24/2012 at 10:23am
So I've always been a bit of a looper but lately I've been playing a close to the table, aggressive blocking/countering game. I've mostly been playing like this for fun but I've actually gotten a little better at it fairly quickly. This said, I'm no Oh Sang-Eun so I don't quite think I'm ready for a Boll TriCarbon + T64 yet LOL.

My looping setup is a WSC with Galaxy Moon 39 and Mercury II 36 but I find the blade a bit flexy for blocking and the M2 a bit spin sensitive.

What's a good setup (preferably a cheap one) for a blocker like myself?

Edited by shirazir - 10/24/2012 at 12:48pm
Blade: Galaxy Venus-14

FH: Donic Bluefire M3

BH: Galaxy Moon

Sponsored Links

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 10:28am
Rubbers in my siggy (colesTT) and add a cheap carbon blade, i'm picking up the more costly route later today...Clipper CC Hexer power sponge FH/ Backside 2.0D BH

The blade i'd suggest in another setup i have is the 729 Hinoki Carbon which is setup with 802-40 FH and 802-1 BH  ...wicked fast on all strokes.

You know if you're in GTA we should meet up and you can try the setups which is best. PM and we'll share contact numbers.

*note* if i don't reply right away...i'm still editing photos from BTY Open and Scotiabank Junior cadet Championship :p

Edited by The Shakehander - 10/24/2012 at 11:28am
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 10:44am
So you're suggesting I switch to short pips? 

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 10:59am

No, just and option you can just change to the 729 Hinoki Carbon Blade and keep the same sheets since you're already familiar with them.

shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

No, just and option you can just change to the 729 Hinoki Carbon Blade and keep the same sheets since you're already familiar with them.

Hmmm..... perhaps I'll give it a whirl. I think a slightly faster, stiffer blade would be nice at this point, just to give my blocks a little more sting.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 11:19am
The Waldner Senso Carbon is fine for a blocking game. The best blocker in the game Waldner himself used that blade with great succes. Oh Sang Eun prefers a 5 ply allwood blade(P.Korbel) for his game. I would suggest to stick with your blade and practice more blocking. Blocking is a skill that doesn't depend very much on equipment same way for looping. My suggestion don't go for a blade that's too fast(so no stiff carbon blades)th . When blocking all you want to do is keeping the ball on the table and borrow opponents power no fast blade is needed for that.
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 11:56am
using soft rubbers with a blade that have good control is the best thing to do. look at my setup my BH is really good for blocking and i score so many points with my BH.
Balde : Donic Epox Control
Forehand : Donic BlueFire M1 (Black / MAX)
Backhand : Donic Vario Big Slam (Red / MAX)

Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by shirazir shirazir wrote:

Originally posted by The Shakehander The Shakehander wrote:

Hmmm..... perhaps I'll give it a whirl. I think a slightly faster, stiffer blade would be nice at this point, just to give my blocks a little more sting.

If you want to go to the dark side, use pips.  Otherwise, your current equipment is fine.  Blocking is more about practice and drills as Skyline said.  I would practice second and fourth ball drills (opponent serves short or long, you return, the opponent loops, you block the attack)
as well as third ball blocks (you serve long to the opponent's attack zone, the opponent loops, you block) and in both cases, play out the point.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 2:05am
Best blocking setup for me was 802 Mystery on a 729 allround wooden blade on BH!
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 2:22am
waldner senso carbon is  similar to Korbel (5 ply) that quite good in blocking compare to other 5-ply flexible.

imho, you have 3 options:

1. use thinner sponge
or
2. use low throw rubber (mark V, Yinhe Venus, etc)
or
3. Try thin 7-ply so it won't affect much your looping.. (Galaxy M6, Yasaka Extra Special, etc)..

cheers

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 4:39am
for blocking, you need a spin insensitive rubber (which implies low throw and non-tacky). for example, coppa x2.

as for the blade, you need a stiff blade, not too soft. that's all.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

waldner senso carbon is  similar to Korbel (5 ply) that quite good in blocking compare to other 5-ply flexible.

1. use thinner sponge
or
or
3. Try thin 7-ply so it won't affect much your looping.. (Galaxy M6, Yasaka Extra Special, etc)..

cheers

Mark V is not low throw rubber.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 9:19am
Stiff Carbon-Hinoki blade with slow non-spiny rubbers.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 9:37am
Surprised no one have mentioned Gambler Outlaw, a rather fast, spin insensitive and cheap rubber. Pair it with a stiff blade, as fast as you can handle, and you have yourself a good blocking set up.
The holy grail
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Surprised no one have mentioned Gambler Outlaw, a rather fast, spin insensitive and cheap rubber. Pair it with a stiff blade, as fast as you can handle, and you have yourself a good blocking set up.

+2, Outlaw is so underrated, more drive/counter/block players need to use it. It is fast, user friendly and nobody can argue about the price. Think of Outlaw as being...well an outlaw among rubbers. LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

1. use thinner sponge
or
or

cheers

Mark V is not low throw rubber.

definitelly not high throw like Tenergy 05, I would say Mark V is lower throw than Sriver EL.. would you agree?

Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 8:09pm
If I had to pick a rubber to just block, I'd probably pick a short pip, semi-spinny with sponge around 1.2-1.5.

Galaxy had a short pip that was great for punch blocking.  802 is great.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Melapringa View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melapringa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 9:55pm
tibhar samsonov alpha is good for blocking ?
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

+2, Outlaw is so underrated, more drive/counter/block players need to use it. It is fast, user friendly and nobody can argue about the price. Think of Outlaw as being...well an outlaw among rubbers. LOL

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Melapringa Melapringa wrote:

tibhar samsonov alpha is good for blocking ?
It works OK.  It is better for looping.  I had 802 1.5 mm on the BH and Rakza 7 1.8mm on the FH of one of my Samsonov Alphas.  It worked well for blocking and counter hitting loops.

I like my Firewall Plus for blocking with either LP 0X or the T25 on the BH but then the Firewall Plus is not that great for looping not is it very fast.  I use it when I want to block at the table.

I have a BCX5 that is fast and stiff. I would like to try 802 1.5mm on the BH of that. I have tried 802-40 1.8mm on both the FH and BH at the same time.  The ball doesn't stay on the paddle long.  It is good for hitting but not not looping with SP.  The BCX5 is too expensive to buy just to mess around.   A cheap alternative would be a 729 Bomb.

After looking at the alternatives given above I think a 729 Bomb with Outlaw on the FH and 802 on the BH would be a cheap hitting and blocking paddle.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 8:30am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

+3, Outlaw is one of my all time favorites!
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 9:03am
Which Outlaw sponge is the best?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 9:46am
 The Outlaw I had had the regular sponge. Don't know about the "Golden Cake" sponge version.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 12:28pm
Outlaw also has durability issues.  IF you can live with those, especially when the rubber contacts the tables and rips apart as if it was paper mache being used for batting practice, then by all means, get it.  IT's cheap so you might be able to live with it. I couldn't.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2012 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Outlaw also has durability issues.  IF you can live with those, especially when the rubber contacts the tables and rips apart as if it was paper mache being used for batting practice, then by all means, get it.  IT's cheap so you might be able to live with it. I couldn't.

Outlaw has definitely some durability issues but if you avoid hitting the table and hit with flat contact(no heavy brushing strokes) you can use it for 3-6 months no problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic