Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can looping get addictive/habitual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can looping get addictive/habitual?
    Posted: 12/18/2012 at 3:39am
For those who loop, I just wanted to know if it's your default shot (i.e., use it as much as the situation allows).  I'm still learning to loop.
Since I learned to use topspin in tennis, my baseline shots became spinnier as time went on, even to a point that I was losing often because I couldn't hit flat, non-spin shots when the situation called for them.
Can this happen in TT?  Do you find yourself looping when a flatter drive would have won you the point earlier?  Just curious.

Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 4:24am
There is less emphasis on flat hits nowadays because you need spin to ensure consistency when hitting hard (esp for balls which are either low or deep). High balls or short balls can be flat hit much easier. 

The so called "drives" in table tennis are in fact hard loops, as you cannot drive at high speeds without spin, as spin is the component that ensures that your shots curve down to the table instead of missing the table end. The best shots are the drive-loops that have both enormous speed and enormous spin in them. 

Since you're a beginner, the best thing that you can do now is to do a lot of practise in this 3 areas. 

1) counterhitting (basically drives) both BH and FH 
2) pushing
3) serve (basically practice in the production of different kinds of spin, which will also help your progress in pushing)

This 3 areas are IMO the basic building blocks to almost every single stroke in the game. Hone your form in these 3 areas and get so good at them that you can do them with your eyes closed. 

If you're good in these 3 areas, you can basically own almost all TT beginners. No need for fancy loops or other stuff. If you're really good in these 3 areas, you can start owning the higher level players too. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 7:20am
Originally posted by pingponger pingponger wrote:

For those who loop, I just wanted to know if it's your default shot (i.e., use it as much as the situation allows).  I'm still learning to loop.
Since I learned to use topspin in tennis, my baseline shots became spinnier as time went on, even to a point that I was losing often because I couldn't hit flat, non-spin shots when the situation called for them.
Can this happen in TT?  Do you find yourself looping when a flatter drive would have won you the point earlier?  Just curious.

You make a very good point. There are many players at amateur level who put themselves in a defensive situation, because they insist on looping everything. and at the pro level one of the things which separates china from europe is that the chinese players in general look to play as early as possible whereas european players use a later timing due to their emphasis on topspin.

IMO while topspin does give a useful margin for error, if you have the gift of hand-eye coordination to hit even low balls flat with success, you will gain a lot from that skill when you use it.
The amateur fh usually emphasises spin over forward weight transference partly i suppose because amateur enjoys the spin,and partly because the legs are not strong enough.
finally the higher your level the more topspin of itself does not win points, because everbody can block. Speed and power are the key qualities in a game where everybody spins.

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 12/18/2012 at 7:22am
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 8:13am

Very common problem in new players who weren't taught the basic counterhit and playing stance.  They feel that they need to heavy spin everything with a upwards motion thus leading to alot of unforced errors.

The key is being able to self identify what shots need to be looped (for example you need height on the shot, you want a safer shot, you want to mess up the opponents timing-footwork-rhythm, etc etc.) and what shots you really want more speed on (high balls, weak underspin balls, shots that you can take quickly off the bounce, etc etc).

Most beginners feel they need to always loop stuff because they are not bending their knees in a adequate playing stance.  Due to them standing very straight, their perspective on the ball is always looking down instead of bending their knees low getting themselves low enough to match the level of the ball with their eyes.  When looking down at the ball all the time, even relatively high balls (above net level which can be driven) will seem high thus their response will be to safe loop (weak) or try to do a very aggressive up loop (which alot of times will go long).  By always matching the ball height to your eye level, you get a much better perspective on the height of the ball and can decide on the correct shot to use much better.  Another variation of this problem is when people start off low but as the point gradually gets longer forcing them to move, they gradually stand up straighter without really noticing.

Some who haven't had any training may not even know the difference between what a counterhit is and what a loop is.  They learned by watching videos and think that everything requires heavy spin to go in so they try to emulate this by doing a heavy up stroke on all type of balls or using a very closed angle when they shouldn't.  Sure if they time it perfectly and brush hard enough it may go in at times but most of the time it will be an unforced error on their part... it's not the high percentage shot to do at the correct time.  Because they don't know how to hit, they will mess up their progress by further trying to swing harder and harder trying to accomplish the low percentage "flashy" brushing loop kill thus their muscles will become very tense as the points go on which is very bad.

Coincidentally, this is why alot who use DHS rubbers incorrectly think that it's slow. Instead of imparting speed into the ball by hitting through it (this is where the tack actually really helps by adding that extra omph of spin into that drive with the wood of the blade providing most of the speed), they try to heavy brush everything thinking that the tack will give the speed via heavy spin. By trying to heavy spin everything, they notice how much effort they need to put into "brushing" to get pace on the ball and think that it's slow.

It's vital when you're practicing that you keep improving your identification skills of what can be driven/hit vs what should be looped.  The earlier you can identify what to do by watching/predicting your opponent, the more time you have to decide what shot you want to do in response and get in proper position.  Theres a popular quote that says beginners will only care about the incoming ball and keeping it on the table.... intermediate players will do the same but will begin to watch their opponent.... advanced players will do both of those but have the ability to predict what the opponent will do.

If anything, as you improve, you want to be able to drive more aggressively (especially vs different degrees of underspin) vs looping alot.

Edited by Rack - 12/18/2012 at 8:53am
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 8:41am
Some very good points here... But my 2 cents.....

Smashing (or flat hitting) is the shot of choice on high balls over the table where you want to avoid spin so the ball stays aloft as long as possible.

Loop driving is the mainstay shot where the ball is basically above net height allowing for a relatively straight shot at the opponents side of the table.

Brush loops are used as a control shot allowing you to either open the point against a lower ball or topspin a chop that is low. It can also be used as a recovery shot to slow the point down when you get forced long or wide during a point.

This is just basic stuff. In the end you win points and games by tactics rather than good shots unless there is a significant level difference. Any shot that is repeated often will become less effective the longer the games goes on.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 1:02pm
 I have to constantly remind myself to take my foot of the pedal when looping. Full on power loops close/mid from table can be risky so setting up the point to finish is more important to me at my level than trying to emulate TB. I see to many younger players with huge beautiful loops that miss the table to frequently. Their success ratio is not very good. A soft slow BH loop loaded with nastyness can be hard to deal with. At my age a more tactical (still powerful) game is more effective than power looping every shot. Just my 1 cent. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 2:08pm

The answer is no.

I do not ask myself why I selected the shot because I do not differentiate the type of the shot I am making. Rather, I evaluate how much time I have.

Even when the ball is high, you have a choice over the type of shot you can hit. If you have a lot of time and you are close to the ball, you can definitely smash the ball flat and win the point. However, you need to consider where the opponent is. Sometimes you can take more time and take the foot off the gas on the shot, but use the placement instead, which will be just as good. You don't get 3 points for a smash, its always 1 point at a time, so win it whichever way it suits you.

So, going back to the time element. If you need time to recover, you need to slow down your shot ( by producing more spin ). If you have to deal with a low ball, then you again use more spin. All other times, you do not need to focus your stroke to produce more spin, you just need to make sure that you make solid contact with the ball. Once you hit it, it will spin automatically!

Being a tennis player, you probably feel more comfortable backing off the table and spinning from a bit farther back. In this respect, you are "waiting" for the ball, instead of working with it. So the ball always falls and gets low or you have to move far to take it late, so you will need to constantly spin in order to continue the play as in the description above when you need to produce spiny shots. In this case, I urge you to avoid getting sucked into playing your shots away from the table and learn how you can be effective close and over the table.

Good luck.

Back to table tennis...
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 2:08pm
There are a few differences between the two games. 
In TT,  you do not have many balls that can be reliably struck with a flat shot (unless you play again a lobber).  So even if you loop a ball that should been smashed (I know I do), it won't hurt your score that much.  Besides, a good loop will probably win you a point anyway.
Also the mechanics of the two shots are very similar (esp no change in grip), so if you can hit a spin shot you should also be able to hit a flat shot.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
JReinfeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReinfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 3:28pm
I am a beginner (playing for about 5 months) and I am struggling with this aspect of the game more than ever. In my training with my coach I focus on looping or loop-driving the ball but usually off a block or underspin.   The problem is during matches I encounter more loops coming at me than blocks. I get in trouble trying to loop really spinny shots that are already loaded with spin. My opponents tell me to just drive the ball but my timing is off because I train looping the ball of a block so in a sense by overlooping the ball. I guess my goal now is to learn to drive the ball when appropriate instead of try to spin every ball that comes to my side of the table.

Just a beginners take
Bluefire M1 2.0/DHS PG7 ST/Barracuda 2.0

VladiTT View Drop Down
Post #57918

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladiTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 3:55pm
why not ask your coach,its part from his job to tell you what you do wrong,and how to manipulate the ball
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by VladiTT VladiTT wrote:

why not ask your coach,its part from his job to tell you what you do wrong,and how to manipulate the ball
yes the bad habit is doing a big back swing, just go from square forward,

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
JReinfeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReinfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 4:30pm

You are definitely right. At this point I am still working on the mechanics of strokes. When to do it is the next layer in my eyes. I need to make the puzzle peices before I can put them together. Until that happens I will probably lose matches but in the end it's a learning experience
Bluefire M1 2.0/DHS PG7 ST/Barracuda 2.0

pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 5:05pm
Thanks for all the insights, everyone.

My takeaway as a beginner is that powerful shots like loops are essential, but so is shot selection.  For actual steps, I gather the following sequence would be good to follow:

improved footwork  >  improved position & balance  > better judgement of ball height and depth  >
correct shot selection & technique  >  better tactics

( ">" above is short for "helps" )

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by JReinfeld JReinfeld wrote:

I am a beginner (playing for about 5 months) and I am struggling with this aspect of the game more than ever. In my training with my coach I focus on looping or loop-driving the ball but usually off a block or underspin.   The problem is during matches I encounter more loops coming at me than blocks. I get in trouble trying to loop really spinny shots that are already loaded with spin. My opponents tell me to just drive the ball but my timing is off because I train looping the ball of a block so in a sense by overlooping the ball. I guess my goal now is to learn to drive the ball when appropriate instead of try to spin every ball that comes to my side of the table.

Just a beginners take

Usually, this should be addressed in hitting drills with partners.  If you and your partner loop to each other, you should be able to insert your drive stroke where appropriate.

Another drill I have found helpful is the fourth ball drill.   Opponent serves, you push or return to opponent's strong side, the opponent loops into your forehand, you drive the ball back (only because you know where the ball is coming to - usually, you would block if your anticipation was off).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 5:17pm
In the interest of simplicity, I would define loop and topspin like this:

loop - upwards heavy brushing motion as ball is descending
topspin - forward brushed motion at top of the bounce or a little bit after

You will only perform a loop when you can't topspin. For instance on low chopped balls that land just long or being caught on the wrong foot. Otherwise always topspin.

A common scenario between 2 intermediate (offensive) players would look something like this:
- player 1 serves short and low underspin
- player 2 won't risk an over the table topspin (advanced skill) so he does a semi-long push
- player 1 performs a fh slow loop (as long as the push wasn't too far into the backhand, in which case he will perform a slow bh loop). Bear in mind, at this point player 1 is 90% sure his next shot will be a fh topspin and adjust stance accordingly.
- player 2 won't risk a counter topspin (advanced skill) nor he can fast-block player 1 off the table if the loop was relatively low. He will do his best and block back; that is, if he doesn't block past the table.
- player 1 is ready for a topspin. In other words he keeps his hand elevated as from here on it's all topspin!

Based on this, the most important stroke in the game is indeed the slow loop. Get that wrong and you won't have a chance to topspin. The bread and butter however, is your topspin.

Edited by Lestat - 12/18/2012 at 6:36pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Lestat Lestat wrote:

Based on this, the most important stroke in the game is indeed the slow loop. Get that wrong and you won't have a chance to topspin. The bread and butter however, is your topspin.

Based on the biased assumption that everyone wants to be a looper.  You can serve long and invite a topspin or you can let your opponent open if you are hitter/counterdriver.  And since the game on occasion rewards people with diverse tactics, the slow opening topspin is just one part of the diverse skilset someone can bring to the game - people can loopdrive underspin in third ball practice or push back, let the opponent loop and take it from there..
Cybershape Carbon
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 6:21pm
Even loopers generally start with driving the ball as driving is the basics of looping. I don't think any fancy discussion about flat-hitting vs looping is going to help beginners, and will only confuse them. 

I think beginners should basically just learn driving, pushing and serving, without many fancy stuff. Everything depends on the basics. From those driving basics you can flat-hit, slow loop, loop drive, etc... without any trouble at all. The more fancy stuff you try without training the basics, the slower you'll progress in the game. 

It's just like learning anything else, you have to build a solid foundation based on solid basics, then move over to more advanced stuff. With driving and counterhitting, you can transition to looping really easily because you have all the correct mechanisms to produce power, after that you just need to start converting the power to spin and you'll end up with a powerful loop. 

In my experience, those ppl who started looping too early ended up with loops that are not penetrating enough (they generally take the ball late, obsess with those nice arcs, without much speed), and all I do nowadays is to just block it back to a good position and see them flail awkwardly in order to reach the ball (and lose the point!). 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

yes the bad habit is doing a big back swing, just go from square forward,

Haha. I am ALWAYS getting on every doubles partner rated Under 2000 in our club about this for the higher balls that should be easy kills. My partners see the high ball coming and try to take a 270 degree big backswing and try to smash the ball all the way back to the factory in China. They very often spray the ball anywhere. their big swing made the timing much more difficult.

I advocate like Smackman to simply from the ready position raise the bat, move weight forward with a step and hit through the ball. You have het option on these high balls to make flat hit hard, topspin, fade, hook, and even un underspin smash that rises over opponents' heads.

Koreans teach the relatively flat FH drive first thing off and every beginner soon is able to hit hundreds of these without a miss at a decent high speed. If that is all you can do, you are doomed in a spin attack.

later, they learn various degrees of how to make topspin based on how they are progressing.

Interesting, the Fh drive as we USA people call it (a light topspin medium or fast paced shot) is not a drive but a HWA on Fh and a SHOTE on the BH wing, which is basically a light topsin or flat BH shot to keep you in the point.

What we call a loop, a heavier spun topsin shot, Koreans call a Drive.

A loopdrive is called a speed drive, which is a very accurate description. They are basically hitting it at smash speed  from distance with heavy topspin.

If all one does is spin, and not able to make a flatter shot when needed, it takes away from your options. Might also inhibit the ability to cope with a fast, light or no-spin ball at your elbow.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 6:43pm

we all can get into good or bad habits, so a bit of practice or help from better players or coaches will help you do a better shot when the opportunity comes up
 I never try and loop a high ball (how can you hit the back/top if it's high), 
some drills to practice is two loops one drive or smash
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 7:01pm
It's one thing to loop and another thing to add some topspin to the ball.  You probably should try to add some (top)spin to every shot you make if you are using inverted, the exception being extremely spinny high topspin balls or extremely low underspin which would just jump of your racket if you don't smack them as matching the rotation is too hard and the best choice is to use the incoming spin to get a good return by smashing the ball.  Then again, I agree with just about everything written on this thread and it call comes down to your preferred style.  The main point is that going for extreme topspin is not always the appropriate shot.
Cybershape Carbon
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Based on the biased assumption that everyone wants to be a looper.  You can serve long and invite a topspin or you can let your opponent open if you are hitter/counterdriver.  And since the game on occasion rewards people with diverse tactics, the slow opening topspin is just one part of the diverse skilset someone can bring to the game - people can loopdrive underspin in third ball practice or push back, let the opponent loop and take it from there..

Serve long and invite a topspin?

Why not picking up short pips then... Nothing inherently wrong with it but you'd better have a good reason for doing it.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2013 at 6:49am
Yes, because you want to get used to it for higher level play where looping should be your default shot and hitting low balls become obsolete
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2013 at 8:34am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Serve long and invite a topspin?

Why not picking up short pips then... Nothing inherently wrong with it but you'd better have a good reason for doing it.

Versatility - you still want to retain great looping/traditional third ball which you lose when you use pips.  Sometimes, you might want your opponent to attack first after assessing the quality of his attack - it is not a common strategy, but I find that as someone who is not going to get better just exchanging loops, understanding my strategic options helps.  So I serve no-spin long cross court and wait on attacks cross court and down the line and get into hyper ready blocking/counter mode.  I can also serve topspin short and let the opponent flick the ball and attack that with a drive.  For this style, the slow loop is not the most important shot because you introduce topspin from the start in most rallies.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic