Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TENERGY 80 REVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TENERGY 80 REVIEW
    Posted: 12/27/2012 at 11:18am
I have 2 sheets of Tenergy 80 that I will be testing/reviewing very soon...
Haven't put them on any blades yet, but first off I noticed Butterfly has a new hologram logo watermark on the packaging.

==============================

OVERALL REVIEW:

T80 is a slight variation of T05. A little less spin than 05, with a bit longer arc. (But more spin than 64.) Its longer arc might give the impression of more power, but honestly I'd say they are too close to call regarding speed and power, and any differences in this area should probably be attributed to production inconsistency. To me they are the same hardness, but T80 sounds softer with its more hollow tone. (Vaguely similar to T25.)

T80 is not a specialized variation of Tenergy like T25. Likewise, its not as far away from T05 as T64. Its a closer relative of 05.

Will I use this rubber? Yes, to me its an intriguing spin-off of T05, and I will continue to try it out on the FH side of different setups. At the same time, because of its similarities to 05, its not a good BH rubber for me. I can use either T05 or T80 on my forehand without missing a beat.

Who will like this rubber? I think anyone who likes T05 will at least be mildly intrigued by T80. (So probably half of the table tennis world. LOL) If someone likes T05 but wants to take some of the edge off the spin without changing rubbers completely, they might like T80. Or someone who wants a little more penetration, but doesn't mind sacrificing a little bit of inherent spin, might like T80's slightly longer trajectory.

There might be a certain type of player to emerge who swears by T80, who knows? Otherwise it will probably end up like T25 with a small following... Although most people will like T80, but just continue to like T05 more, compared to T25 which most people just hate.

Who will not like this rubber? People who are looking for a totally different experience than is offered by T05 will be disappointed with T80. If you categorically don't like T05 for any reason, you probably will not like T80 and should avoid it. (As opposed to if you like T05 overall, but wished Butterfly tweaked it a little bit... Well that's T80.)

Misc - I liked T80 better on the ALC than on the ZLC. T80's longer trajectory paired nicely with the tight arc of the ALC. I will stick to 05 on the FH of the ZLC.

Day 1:
Glued onto 2 blades. TB ALC, Innerforce ZLC. T05 on opposite sides.

Bounce test - To be honest its difficult to tell the difference between T80 and T05 by just bouncing the ball on the racket. Tone is slightly different, but otherwise spin and power seem very close.

5 minutes of hitting/blocking at the office pong table - Still hard to tell the difference between 80 and 05. Throw angle seems close. Power and spin, very similar. I will need to do more thorough testing at the club tonight with better practice partners.

Initial thoughts - It doesn't suck! Although so far, T80 seems more like it should be called "T05b". Or they just figured out a way to make T05 with a little bit of T25's sound... But I will keep trying my best to find this rubber's distinguishing characteristics.

Day 2:
Still need to test T80 long term, but I think after a 3 hour club session, I have a good idea about this rubber.

Again, glued onto 2 blades. TB ALC, Innerforce ZLC. T05 on opposite sides.

I still think T80 is very similar to T05. People who like T05 should be at least intrigued by this rubber. Below are some comparisons:

Speed/Power - After testing 2 T80 rubbers on 2 different blades, along with 2 slightly used T05's on the opposite sides I can't say that T80 is much faster than T05. It feels slightly bouncier/speedier while countering and blocking, but I can't tell if that's because its new and the T05's are used. Either way, while warming up and standing away from the table hitting big counter loops, T05 seems to feel more solid and have a little more kick. Again its almost too close to call, so close that I think its just the newness of the rubber, because new rubbers feel softer and bouncier while Tenergy can harden a little bit over time. Also, As I will detail below, T80 has a slightly different spin and throw angle, which might make it seem faster, but if its truly faster than T05, as T64 is for example, its not obvious to me.

Feel/Softness/Hardness - Very similar. Almost too close to call, but if I had to make a decision I would say that T05 feels slightly more solid. Really the only thing that stands out is that T80 sounds softer. It has a more hollow tone. So I don't really agree with some of the reviews I've read that claim T80 is clearly harder than 05. I think its basically the same, if not slightly softer or slightly less solid/tight feeling. (All Tenergy sponges are basically the same hardness, besides the FX versions, except that T64's pip structure, longer pips, etc, make it feel softer.)

Spin - T05 creates a tighter arc on loops, and it seems to have better spin on serves. Of course T80 has good spin. Its still feels like playing with a new Tenergy right out of the package! Clap So its also a close call, but while practicing looping --countering, and against underspin -- using the same stroke and racket angle repeatedly and then twiddling, T05 loops will spin down sooner.

Throw angle - I'd say T80 is very similar to T05. High. Its really noticeable when I hit bh's. I don't like T05 on my bh because of the throw angle. I prefer T64. Well T80 is basically the same as T05 in that regard. It doesn't spin down as much on the 2nd half of its arc, so it seem to have a longer throw angle than 05, but the angle coming right off the blades seem the same.

----------

I will try to update this post as a test T80 in the long term, or as the inevitable debates arise.

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 12/31/2012 at 9:32pm
Sponsored Links

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 12:30pm
I saw them at tt-japan.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

I saw them at tt-japan.
===========================

Just checked with "Paddle Palace" here in the US.
They don't have it (Tenergy 80) yet.

skip3119
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Stay tuned.

pant, pant (making sounds like a puppy) Wacko
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 4:34pm
what is the Butterfly message around this new rubber.  Is it harder?  softer?  faster?  spinnier?  more control?  what's the deal?  any ideas?  
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

what is the Butterfly message around this new rubber.  Is it harder?  softer?  faster?  spinnier?  more control?  what's the deal?  any ideas?  

OOAKforum has a review of it
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 6:32pm
nice Thumbs Up nothing beats the holidays with having brand new rubbers

Edited by jatienza930 - 12/27/2012 at 6:36pm
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 6:50pm
jatienza, your EJ sense is tingling and you wanna put that in your schlager blade? hehehe

if the tenergy packaging has a white chinese sticker on the box, is it a fake tenergy?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

jatienza, your EJ sense is tingling and you wanna put that in your schlager blade? hehehe

if the tenergy packaging has a white chinese sticker on the box, is it a fake tenergy?
please share if you have a pic of that sticker.  chinese characters in a japanese product labeling would be red flag for me.

i suppose the hologram logo is part of device authenticity.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 8:03pm

I'm pretty sure the sticker is in Japanese, Tenergy being made in Japan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Let's make sure first what sticker is being referred to.  Then we can say with confidence what characters it has.  

Yogi?

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by pingponger pingponger wrote:

Let's make sure first what sticker is being referred to.  Then we can say with confidence what characters it has.  

Yogi?

The sticker I'm referring to is the red/white oblong octagonal sticker near the lower right hand corner or the packaging.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 8:37pm

Yogi?

The sticker I'm referring to is the red/white oblong octagonal sticker near the lower right hand corner or the packaging.
Those characters look Japanese to me, excluding the big english "Attention".  So I'm confused where the chinese sticker is. LOL
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

Same as usual, make lots of money....
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 9:07pm
http://umpire2.narod.ru/Butterfly_eng.mp3

Tenergy will never make you a better player...... It is just a chunk of rubber... Yes. (casual сatchphrase as being sayed oftentimes by a Polish national coach, Leszek Kuharsky).
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 9:44pm
The ATTENTION sticker tells you to use Butterfly Water Based Glue with their rubber. Real slick.
runeazn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runeazn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2012 at 9:52pm

please share if you have a pic of that sticker.  chinese characters in a japanese product labeling would be red flag for me.

I wish you luck finding a japanese product that doesnt have chinese characters on it, they inherited the syllabries afterall XD.
Blade: Virtuoso

Red: xiom Japan
Black: Nittaku DHS H3
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 12:07am

Yogi I never thought you can read minds Wink
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 1:35am
aha so i was spot on jatienza hehehehe.

i think the white sticker with chinese characters is posted in the fake tenergy thread. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 4:14am
Originally posted by runeazn runeazn wrote:

I wish you luck finding a japanese product that doesnt have chinese characters on it, they inherited the syllabries afterall XD.
don't really need luck, since google is my friend ( it can be yours, too Wink ).  i believe you missed the point about the sticker.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 4:18am
All I know is that I hope I like it as much as my current BH rubber. 

I can't feel like the pros, and hence complete, until I have at least one Tenergy rubber on my blade.

[/sarcasm]

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 12/28/2012 at 12:09pm
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
runeazn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runeazn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 7:18am

don't really need luck, since google is my friend ( it can be yours, too Wink ).  i believe you missed the point about the sticker.

yeah im missing the point how is google going to help you finding out about a sticker with japanese characters on it?
Blade: Virtuoso

Red: xiom Japan
Black: Nittaku DHS H3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 11:10am
Updated my first post.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 12:24pm

I'm confused...

So what I see is Yogi posted that, IF a Tenergy has a Chinese sticker, IS it fake?Then Pingponger asks for a picture of the imaginary Tenergy that has a Chinese sticker (which I believe doesn't exist), I misunderstand and think that we're talking about the Tenergy 80 that LOOPMEISTER has and say that the white sticker I see in his pictures is in Japanese.

Am I misunderstanding something here again? LOL
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Haven't put them on any blades yet, but first off I noticed Butterfly has a new hologram logo watermark on the packaging.

==============================

OVERALL REVIEW:

Coming soon.

Day 1:

Glued onto 2 blades. TB ALC, Innerforce ZLC. T05 on opposite sides.

Bounce test - To be honest its difficult to tell the difference between T80 and T05 by just bouncing the ball on the racket. Tone is slightly different, but otherwise spin and power seem very close.

5 minutes of hitting/blocking at the office pong table - Still hard to tell the difference between 80 and 05. Throw angle seems close. Power and spin, very similar. I will need to do more thorough testing at the club tonight with better practice partners.

Initial thoughts - It doesn't suck! Although so far, T80 seems more like it should be called "T05b". Or they just figured out a way to make T05 with a little bit of T25's sound... But I will keep trying my best to find this rubber's distinguishing characteristics.

Stay tuned.

I haven't played with it yet (important caveat!!!), but by looking closely at pictures on OOAK forum, I expect it to play somewhere between 05 and 25, based on pip size.  That should be pretty good.  I don't expect something dramatically different from 05, and expect to see biggest difference in short game.  T25 is vastly superior to 05 in that aspect (I have played a lot with both of these), but suffers at mid-distance and beyond.  Remember, the only thing different in Tenergy series is pip shape/size underneath the top sheet (and of course sponge hardness in the case of the FX versions).  What Loopmeister has written is consistent with these expectations.  There really is room in the Tenergy series for something in between 05 and 25 and 80 should fill that gap nicely.  I will probably end up at some point using this, but I have a couple of new sheets of 05 I have to use up first, and will not buy 80 until I get a chance to try someone else's first.  EJs are everywhere, so I expect to get that chance fairly soon! 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 12:45pm
By the way, that same sticker is on the T05 sheets I got not too long ago from Butterfly USA.

Edited by Baal - 12/28/2012 at 12:45pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 1:12pm
The writing on the label is in Japanese. (Albeit in characters of chinese origin.) And the rubbers are not fake.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 2:49pm

Not inherit, no one died...they borrowed.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Not inherit, no one died...they borrowed.
true for some ppl but not to ALL. Just like Bahasa Melayu of Brunei & Malaysia borrowed some words/phrases from Chinese, English & Arabic.
I'd have done the same if I didn't have enuf words/characters to use...Big smile

Edited by tiehwen - 12/28/2012 at 3:21pm
spin_whisperer View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spin_whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2012 at 3:57pm
After your review could you compare to every tensor on the market so eventually go buy T80 anyway! Lol
Equipment
H3 Provincial\Timo Boll Spirit ST/Sigma Europe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic