FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Old Waldner video worth watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Waldner video worth watching
    Posted: 01/07/2013 at 2:33am
just stumbled across this: 
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Sponsored Links

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 7:51am
Very nice.... Can't quite get over the shorts tho.....
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 8:37am
Wow, I just learnt a years worth of tactics, thanks for sharing
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 12:36pm
Clap

How do you explain JO's apparent economy of movement?  My guess it that alot of it comes from great anticipation skills.  How can this be developed?
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by pingponger pingponger wrote:

Clap

How do you explain JO's apparent economy of movement?  My guess it that alot of it comes from great anticipation skills.  How can this be developed?

Apart from just playing a lot, I don't think it can. You either have a natural table tennis brain, or you don't. Waldner is the greatest player of all time because he is table tennis what Einstein was to physics.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 4:52pm
I, too, enjoy Waldner's overall economy of motion. He does have a big swing when playing his topspin BH though. I think the overall package starts when developing one's strokes. Waldner's stroke are compact but still very fluid and free-swinging, as opposed to the "cramped" strokes of Samsonov, Boll, and Maze. After that, it comes down to practice and being gifted --- acquiring the knowledge of where the ball can go or is likely to go, and developing a sixth sense for where it does go. If you can do that, then you're always standing at the right place waiting for the ball and you don't have to lunge for the ball.
seiyafan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seiyafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 6:53pm
amazing backhand
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 7:19pm
i think in terms of ball control and placement, waldner is still the best. i wonder if today, a person has exactly the same style of play he has say in top 20 of the rankings, would his style be able to defeat the CNT? 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i think in terms of ball control and placement, waldner is still the best. i wonder if today, a person has exactly the same style of play he has say in top 20 of the rankings, would his style be able to defeat the CNT? 

Can't know for sure.  The thing is Waldner relied on bh counters a lot, which does not work as well with the 40mm ball as with the 38mm ball because of reduced speed with the larger ball... He would have to rely on his fh loop a lot more since his bh opening loop is not strong.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Can't know for sure.  The thing is Waldner relied on bh counters a lot, which does not work as well with the 40mm ball as with the 38mm ball because of reduced speed with the larger ball... He would have to rely on his fh loop a lot more since his bh opening loop is not strong.

you should watch Waldner vs Ma Long at the energis masters, or even his recent matches. It is a viable style... 

You don't need absolute power to demolish top players. Look at how Hao Shuai wins his games against the CNT, it's not through power, but superior blocking and placement, as well as a good short game and serves. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

you should watch Waldner vs Ma Long at the energis masters, or even his recent matches. It is a viable style... 

You don't need absolute power to demolish top players. Look at how Hao Shuai wins his games against the CNT, it's not through power, but superior blocking and placement, as well as a good short game and serves. 

Being a regular Waldner fan (as well as a fan of ALL other top players), I've watched most of his 40mm era matches posted online.  His superior blocking and placement style is certainly "viable", but very susceptible to top players who are running "hot" and attacking full-bore.  There's a good reason why most 40mm era top-5 players are all out looping machines like WLQ, XX, ML, WH and ZJK.  With the 40mm ball, only a player who can initiate a strong attack from every angle at every opportunity can truly dominate like Waldner did in the 38mm ball era.  With the even bigger poly ball coming in 2014, the importance of power WITH control has just grown even more.  The game will become even more physical than ever.

hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 9:12pm
I think J-O would have been just as good if he played most of his career in the 40 mm ball/no-hide serve era. I watched him playing in the 2004 Olympics, when he was 39, beating Ma Lin and Timo and playing well in losses to Ryu in the semis and WLQ in the bronze medal match. Those Olympics were played with the big ball and with no hide serves.

He was fabulous then. I couldn't help but think that had he been 25 when the changes came that he would have been just as good.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by hubie60 hubie60 wrote:

I think J-O would have been just as good if he played most of his career in the 40 mm ball/no-hide serve era. I watched him playing in the 2004 Olympics, when he was 39, beating Ma Lin and Timo and playing well in losses to Ryu in the semis and WLQ in the bronze medal match. Those Olympics were played with the big ball and with no hide serves.

He was fabulous then. I couldn't help but think that had he been 25 when the changes came that he would have been just as good.

Just to be objective, as I am not a partial fan to any player/style, I watched all his 2004 Olympics matches in real-time broadcasts.  He ran into a cannonball called RSM and did not have a chance.  None whatsoever.  If Waldner were 25 I agree he would have been just as good LEVEL-WISE at his peak with the 40mm ball as with the 38mm ball, but would that be enough to dominate like he did in his prime with the 38mm is pretty much up to debate.  The competition is tougher than ever before.  So, objectively, can't know for sure.

Edited by roundrobin - 01/07/2013 at 9:56pm

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 9:44pm

Agreed 100 percent

Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon
http://petermoo.blogspot.com/
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2013 at 10:11pm

With the even bigger poly ball coming in 2014, the importance of power WITH control has just grown even more.  The game will become even more physical than ever.

We'll all have to be gym freaks at that moment to do consistent loopkills... Cry
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 12:29am
considering the physical conditioning of CNT players that evn if you have good placements they can get to the ball even if its on the opposite sides of the in a very fast manner. though if you have a body and physical strength of WLQ and the playing style of waldner that would be the day!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 3:19am
Great clips - Does anyone know what tournament it was where he is playing Jiang Jialiang?
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 8:32am
i think it was the world singles championship in 1987 new delhi india? where waldner finished 2nd to jiang jiliang? he demolished the CNT #2 and #3 before facing jiang in the finals though. and he had a fever here due to a virus? not sure

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 8:49am

Originally posted by hubie60 hubie60 wrote:

Just to be objective, as I am not a partial fan to any player/style, I watched all his 2004 Olympics matches in real-time broadcasts.  He ran into a cannonball called RSM and did not have a chance.  None whatsoever.  If Waldner were 25 I agree he would have been just as good LEVEL-WISE at his peak with the 40mm ball as with the 38mm ball, but would that be enough to dominate like he did in his prime with the 38mm is pretty much up to debate.  The competition is tougher than ever before.  So, objectively, can't know for sure.

As you suggest, this is ultimately unanswerable: if Waldner was younger, his game would have developed differently to how it did. He would have needed to find more power at a time when he still could. My own view is that Waldner would have been, at his peak, in a class of his own regardless of when he played. I also think that the Waldner at the WTTC in 1997 could probably, even now, match up to the likes of Wang Liqin and Zhang Jike. I have never seen anyone play better table tennis. Ever.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 3:50pm

Waldner has a calmness and a relaxed style that opens up freedom of movement IMHO. Just think to the times when you are relaxed playing, I'll bet you play better. He also exudes confidence. He is amazingly versatile and can hit the ball from anywhere but has his own style that just works. Apparently, his training in China was crucial to him getting to the next level though. His tactics are as good today as they ever were. The difference is that it becomes harder to execute exactly the same style since so much has changed since those glory days, especially at the highest levels where physicality is at an all time high in the sport. (ball size change, glue ban, service rule, 11 point game, etc.)

Also, when speaking of the Chinese getting pwned by Waldner, you have to remember that the Swedes were some of the first to perfect speed gluing, and this also gave them an edge (am I right about this?) I think it is fair to say he is one of the greatest in the modern era and certainly deserves the worship he gets. I would just say that when you compare his style to some of the newer players, namely Ma Long and Zhang JK, one could imagine him challenging them a lot (during his prime). But for me, its hard to imagine him being able to casually block back Ma Long's power loops... I need to watch that match between them again... check out around 1:23 -- classic Waldner technique still works! 

Edited by dauntless - 01/08/2013 at 3:54pm
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 3:11am
im amazed! bbkon hasnt posted anything here yet
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 4:06am
It's much easier to block the power loops today. It's also much easier to execute power loops so it sort of balances.
Waldner would have done well in any era. But in many ways the Swedes were ahead of the Chinese in technique. Even today, AFAIK, the CNT sends players to Sweden to complete their TT education.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

It's much easier to block the power loops today. It's also much easier to execute power loops so it sort of balances.
Waldner would have done well in any era. But in many ways the Swedes were ahead of the Chinese in technique. Even today, AFAIK, the CNT sends players to Sweden to complete their TT education.

Really? But the Swedes don't have any truly world-class players under 40.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 6:44am
You just cannot compare different eras in TT, and 38mm to 40mm was a big change. Waldner would not be so successful playing his style, even at his peak, in the 40mm era, and the current crop of Chinese would not have been so dominant playing the way they do now, back in the 38mm days, they would have needed a little mote artistry to their games ( like Kong ) 
Many younger people think that Waldner was predominantly a blocker, it appears that way because he plays off the opponent so much, why? because he can, and you can't ever manufacture that.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

Agreed 100 percent

I also agree.  The players from Waldner's era I could see playing just as well today are Gatien and Persson.

Edited by Baal - 01/09/2013 at 9:22am
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 6:42pm
Waldner had an ability to control the table and mix spins, power, and placement such that he could always beat the Chinese (when in his prime). I think the thing was his BH was so ridiculously strong that he didn't have to budge from his spot and could finish a point from BH even out of position. That BH has a crisp snap to it that could disguise the amount of power applied. He also had a sick FH that used lots of side to spin out away from opponent. But he IMHO is the best of all time... unmatched in terms of creative ability to win in so many novel and cool ways... the game has been SO much less interesting without him. To me, today only ZJK has approached this level. I do think Fan Zhendong COULD be the next great player to approach Waldner. I can't wait for the NEXT Waldner as my excitement for the game is waning a bit without the thrill factor of watching.

Edited by smash_fan - 01/11/2013 at 6:44pm
Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
pingponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 9:20pm
In tennis, Roger Federer is considered by many to be the greatest of all time.  One characteristic he has is that his head movement is much less than other players.  It's almost always facing forward, and almost stationary when he strikes the ball.  If you observe this in the original video, Waldner shares this characteristic.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 11:01pm

Sincerely speaking, to see Waldy playing MaLong is a sorry sight. Infirm Lion King, so pityful... Yes...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by smash_fan smash_fan wrote:

Waldner had an ability to control the table and mix spins, power, and placement such that he could always beat the Chinese (when in his prime).

I am as big a Waldner fan as anyone, and agree with some of this, but the truth is he lost to Chinese players many times, even in his prime.  Also, unlike his teammate Persson, he had no real BH loop to speak of, although he could do many other things from that side that were amazing -- especially his last second down the line shot.   
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2013 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by smash_fan smash_fan wrote:

Waldner had an ability to control the table and mix spins, power, and placement such that he could always beat the Chinese (when in his prime).
I am as big a Waldner fan as anyone, and agree with some of this, but the truth is he lost to Chinese players many times, even in his prime.  Also, unlike his teammate Persson, he had no real BH loop to speak of, although he could do many other things from that side that were amazing -- especially his last second down the line shot.    

Have to agree with Baal here. Waldners bh was, for the most part, considered to be one of his weaknessess. From the book "When the feeling decides" I also seem to remember that JO back then (1997) had a positive record against all of his opponents, except for the Chinese, where he had a negative record against many of them. I still consider him to be the best, despite that.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic