FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hammond X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammond X
    Posted: 03/20/2006 at 9:50pm

So I just opened my package from Paddle Palace with my new sheets of Hammond X. (Red Max) As a confirmed fan of Hammond, I was very eager to see what the upgrade from Nittaku would be like. Nittaku claims the speed is identical and that the spin is marginally increased.

Out of the pack the rubber feels a bit lighter than regular Hammond, I cant be sure, the sponge is a khaki brown colour, different from the usual pink of Hammond and HPA. It feels, if anything, and contrary to reports I have seen elswhere, softer than Hammond. Cutting the rubber was disconcertingly easy. This confirms to me that the khaki sponge is a bit softer than Hammond.

The texture of the rubber looks a little bit more plasticy than Hammond (is this a result of the higher synthetic portion of the mixture?).

SO tonight I'm going to give it a test run. I will post results later.

Petermoo

Sponsored Links

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 9:51pm

Just came back from hitting a few hours with Hammond x speed glued on a Gergely carbon platform, I tried the rubber played a few games with it as did my coach from China Hu Chuangxin. Both of us conclude that.........(drum roll please)..

Hammond X is quite faster than Hammond! faster than Bryce (yes Bryce) man this rubber is freaky fast!

My drives were blindingly fast, The power was effortless, every shot had that Samba sound clicky click that makes looping such  a pleasure. The rubber is somewhat spinnier on serves for sure, I was getiing a lot of extra bite particularly on my backspins, my opponent pushed a bit more serves into the net than usual.

The throw on the rubber is a bit higher than Hammond, it was easier to make those grazing ball dropping fine brushing loops than usual.

The downside of Hammond X is that my dropshots were uncontrollable, i was better off flipping everything short, I kept popping up my pushes, I was never in control during the counterloop exchanges sometimes I would overhit by a foot! If I'm going to use this beast of a rubber, I definitely am going to have to put in some practice with it.

I cant believe Nittaku rates Hammond X and Hammond as equal for speed. I put the speed at 10-15% higher than Hammond. By the way I now think HX is a bit heavier than Hammond as it made my backhand a little heavier than before.

Petermoo

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2006 at 10:54pm
Thanks for the review Petermoo.  I like Hammond except on pushes where it seems to want to put the ball into the net.  They seem to have over compensated with the X.  That is probably as a result of the softer sponge.  How were your smashes?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 12:27am

I use Hammond-X max on a Kreanga Carbon without speed glue.  Without speed glue, the sponge is harder than Pro Alpha and not as bouncy so pushes don't pop up.  Backhand looping, blocking and service spin is very good.   I would think that if you do speed glue then yes it would be softer and faster and more Bryce like.  Without glue it is also good for smashes.  Hammond-X is a great rubber that is very predictable and has a lot of power.

A faster and spinnier rubber (again without glue) is JUIC Couga, max.  It is faster than Bryce and has a harder rubber than Hammond-X.    The top sheet is thin and very grippy. 

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 12:32am
I used Juic Varites briefly and it too was faster and spinnier than Bryce when glued up.  Is Couga as fast as Varites?
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
ZoranV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoranV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2006 at 4:30am
Is Couga lighter or havier than Hammond ? (not X or PA)
34 blades 78 rubbers all active...http://mytabletennis.net/forum/uploads/File/ZORAN8.xls
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2006 at 8:25am

I haven't played Varites but Juic says Couga is faster and they make both of these rubbers.

Couga (unglued) is definitely faster than Bryce or Hammond-X.  It gives a hard sponge sound smack like Hurricane but the speed is much much faster.  Dwell is very short but the very grippy thin topsheet imparts enormous spin when looping or serving.  

Couga glued definitely gets softer.   I am liking the hard feel and speed so I am going to use a glue sheet next time I put new Couga and HammondX sheets on.  

pingpongfay View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongfay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2006 at 9:32am
Hi all, i have two extra sheet nittaku hammond x. black, red, 2.2. I play with refoma. i want to sell hammond x for $34 + $1.25 shipping. I am in USA. thank u very much.
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2006 at 11:49am

Dear all friends,

I used to play H3 41 degree for my fh. Subsequently I changed to Bryce 2.1 for fh as H3 was very heavy and I need to generate most of the power by myself instead of the rubber providing some too. However, now I feel my Bryce is not tacky enough for fh (maybe I got used to tacky rubber in fh).

I would like to change to Hammond X thinking it wil be quite tacky and also being a tensioned rubber, it can assist me in generating power. What is your advise?

Some forum seems to mention that tacky rubber must have hard sponge else it will be uncontrollable. Is that true?

What about other tacky rubber like tackifire C, tackifire special etc? However, I dont want something like H3 esp on weight else I would buy H3 which is cheaper.

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 12:01am
What about 999T it is lighter, faster and spinnier than H3.  It costs the same.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 12:16am
Actually I would like to try 999T too. Unfortunately there are many many different type of 999T and I actually do not know which is the one that used by Malin or Kong. Any idea which 999T that I should use? I only want those with topsheet and sponge come together in one piece.
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 12:23am
Originally posted by ssiew968 ssiew968 wrote:

Actually I would like to try 999T too. Unfortunately there are many many different type of 999T and I actually do not know which is the one that used by Malin or Kong. Any idea which 999T that I should use? I only want those with topsheet and sponge come together in one piece.

talk to ttman, he has nice combos on 999's

ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 11:18am

Dear all friends,

STILL NEED SOMEONE TO RESPONSE TO MY QUESTIONS RAISED EARLIER. THANKS.

I used to play H3 41 degree for my fh. Subsequently I changed to Bryce 2.1 for fh as H3 was very heavy and I need to generate most of the power by myself instead of the rubber providing some too. However, now I feel my Bryce is not tacky enough for fh (maybe I got used to tacky rubber in fh).

I would like to change to Hammond X thinking it wil be quite tacky and also being a tensioned rubber, it can assist me in generating power. What is your advise?

Some forum seems to mention that tacky rubber must have hard sponge else it will be uncontrollable. Is that true?

What about other tacky rubber like tackifire C, tackifire special etc? However, I dont want something like H3 esp on weight else I would buy H3 which is cheaper.

pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 12:09pm
No, hammond X is NOT tacky.
Tackifire C is tacky but its not much lighter than H3.

For Tacky and light, my choices are:
DHS dipper 2
729 Geospin tacky
Or any of the nittaku Huricane series with JP soft sponge.

www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 1:12pm
While Hammond X is not tacky you will get a lot of spin and speed from it.  I played with Hammond and X is faster and has more spin than it.  It is a great looping and smashing rubber especially if you speed glue.  You will have all the power you need.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 1:17pm

I have been using the custom 999T on Couga sponge from TTMAN for about 1 week.  It started of slow which was probably because of the extra tack but has speeded up with each session.  It is the spinniest rubber I have played with and the sponge is taking it to a new level of speed.  Try it youll like it.

Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2006 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by wfwfitz wfwfitz wrote:

I have been using the custom 999T on Couga sponge from TTMAN for about 1 week. It started of slow which was probably because of the extra tack but has speeded up with each session. It is the spinniest rubber I have played with and the sponge is taking it to a new level of speed. Try it youll like it.

are you gluing?

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2006 at 4:04pm
Yes I speed glue.  I use 1 layer before playing so they have been glued about 5 times. I played last night and the click was louder.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Butterfly Amultart
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2006 at 8:19am

"I have been using the custom 999T on Couga sponge from TTMAN for about 1 week. "

TTMAN,  how much for the 999T (black) on Couga sponge? 

Can you make Hurricane II (black) on Couga sponge?   If yes, how much and how long to get some?

The Couga sponge is sooooo fast and hard, sort of what I think H2 is supposed to be like with 10 layers of speed glue.  I like the Couga topsheet but it is not as sticky/tacky or durable as H2 topsheet.  I want the excessive spin to last longer.

You can forum private messager me.

chin_penholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chin_penholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2006 at 7:55pm
i thought that the sponge color for hammond x is white?
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2006 at 6:45am
no it is a gray color. i think it bears repeating that I strongly believe that HX is not as fast as Bryce, if speed is a determining factor for anyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic