Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Sigma 2 (II) Pro comparative review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Sigma 2 (II) Pro comparative review
    Posted: 03/14/2013 at 6:05pm

Here is a rough review of Sigma 2 pro (S2P) but i can do more specific comparison with any of the following rubbers i recently played:

Tibhar 1Q, 1Q-XD, MX-P, Tenergy 80, Hexer HD, Rakza9, Aurus,

Hardness feel wise it is little softer than 1Q-XD/Hexer HD. More in 1Q/MX-P/Aurus range, which is a very sweet range indeed. i don't like the hardness range of Tenergy 80/rakza9 (kinda soft for my taste)

Spin: 1Q-XD is a spin champion for slow brush opening against underspin 80% of my BH opening loops are not blcoked outside the table even by mature 2100 players. (doesn't mean i win those games...will explain later why).
But MX-P and S2P have equally monsterous spin in semi-brush or full bodied loops using the sponge, while 1Q and Aurus in spite of having same hardness has lower spin ... and Tenergy 80 and Rakza 9 are spin deficient in my scale. Tenergy 05 manages to have the same spin range as MX-P and S2P but with a softer sponge so the spin starts from even slower strokes, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Speed: All the above rubbers are fairly fast when new except probably aurus which although fast is slower in this range.  I think the rubbers reached a level of minimum energy dissipation in sponge so most of them pretty much return inward momentum as efficiently and loss-lessly as rubberly possible.
The loss starts when you bottom it out and the paddle comes into play.. wood is not perfectly elastic as rubber so it dissipates some energy.. and hence when you bottom out the rubber you do not get enough speed. and the only 2 rubbers i could feel bottomed  in hard strokes were T80 and R9. others i couldn't bottom yet.

Short game control: The whole bunch here has good over the table control in pushes. By control i mean the ability to drop the ball closest to net on opponents side without being too much affected by incoming spin from serves and pushes. 
However MX-P definitely stands out followed closely by S2P, 1Q-XD, Aurus, 1Q.
Tenergy 80 in spite of being way better than T05 in short game control, still stands out as the bad boy in this league.
Rakza 9 also is not the best.
1Q and S2P displays notable inertness to incoming spin.

Blocks:  A good blocking rubber for me is the one which shows inertness to incoming spin in faster strokes like loops and drives.

These are all great blocking rubbers but Hexer HD will get lower points here, along with MX-P, Rakza 9 and Tenergy 80. Dont be mistaken... its a comparative statement and they are all very good in blocking. And whether you are playing on a flexy racket or rigid one also makes a difference. So don't take my observations as perfect.
1Q-XD and S2P allows for passive blocking without being careful about blade angle. But funny thing is MXP in spite of having a spinny surface, blacks very well due to low throw. 

Opening loops:
Aurus is the bad boy here. While others turn bad after a couple weeks of play, except ...you guessed it right :) .. 1QXD. The best thing about this rubber that it shows maximum resistance to change. very predictable.

However that does not mean it is the easiest to open loops with when all rubbers are new. When all rubbers are new, Tenergy 80, MX-P and S2P are awesome to open loops with. Followed by rakza 9 .. and then comes Hexer HD then 1Q and.... Aurus is the last one.

Aurus is a very versatile rubber... but just that it is a little picky which underspin to loop and which not to.

Now on the BH side i had been using 1Q-XD most successfully since last 6 months or so. Yes it gave me most points in opening loops against serves. Yes people stopped serving on my BH. But when i tried S2P, i figured i can generate almost 90% of the spin but with a little more forward stroke less brushing. Now thats helpful because that means less balls missed (totally).. and also better counterloops.

Hitting
This is probably the reason i will end up picking S2P instead of MX-P. S2P and MX-P are fairly close in hardness, and other aspects of performance. however MX-P is slow if the ball hits perpendicular to the rubber... but faster when the ball is driven with lower angles... and the sponge is used tangentially than perpendicularly. 

Come S2P, you have decent speed in all angles. in fact very fast in perpendicular shots. And this is needed for hitting. Hitting is incredibly difficult with my MX-P with blades thinner than 6mm. for thicker blade it might still work. But compared to that S2P works extremely well when hitting as well as driving or looping. 

1Q-XD beats both in hitting and driving.. but as we know that their are other considerations as well. 

So in degree of aggressiveness:
1Q-XD > S2P >Hexer HD> Aurus> MX-P> Tenergy 80= Rakza 9

By this i mean in a favorably situation when you are trying to win the point...and not just stay in the game or recover, the agressive rubber will earn more points and sooner.

When it comes to recovery, then in degree of forgiveness:
MX-P > Tenergy 80 > Rakza 9 > S2P > 1Q-XD = Aurus=hexer HD

Serves:
MX-P and Tenergy 80 are really good in serves. Followed closely by 1Q-XD and Hexer HD. Finally most of the rubbers will help you get a good spin on serve... but with some it may be a little difficult to keep the serve short. 

[to continue]

Edited by debraj - 03/20/2013 at 4:38pm
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sponsored Links

winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 3:57pm
Hi Debraj,

I am looking for more of your comments.
Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 4:38pm
okay.. i updated a little more..

Edited by debraj - 03/20/2013 at 4:39pm
vid1
Vid 2
winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2013 at 9:22am
Hi Debraj,

Thanks for your interest.
Have you had a chance to use Donic Bluefire rubbers? I would like to ask you to  compare BF with rubbers you have mentioned above.

Edited by winterdrops - 03/25/2013 at 9:23am
Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2013 at 9:47am
How does s2p compare to s1p?

I love s1p, nothing comes remotely close to this forehand rubber for me. I'm debating if I should try s2p next or stick to s1p.
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 10:46am
I have tried all sigma rubbers and S1P is the best for FH play especially if you like to hit over the table.
S2P is a bit softer and has a little more catapult. Counter looping is a bit more difficult ans control is a little reduced for blocking.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 1:24pm
 When comparing SIIP to SIP on the same blade, (I think it was the Offensive S) I found that SIIP offered more dwell or held the ball longer. I suppose what this means to your game would depend on the blade you pair it with and your strokes. In my case, the extra dwell meant more spin and control with equivalent speed so I preferred SIIP over SIP. 

Edited by alphapong - 03/26/2013 at 2:12pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 3:04am
yes of course i tried bluefire rubbers. i thought m1 will be the holey grail when it was launched. i bought 2 sheets, and liked them initially. But eventually found it unpredictable in certain shots, and ended up selling it. I tried M2 from my friend... but didn't try m3.

I think mx-p is a perfected bluefire, with more reliability. :)

No s2p is not in the same direction. S2P doesn't focus only on loops, even though it is a looping rubber. It can drive and hit well without having to close your angle too much. It can open loops well.. without having to open your angle too much. :)

Edited by debraj - 03/31/2014 at 3:11pm
vid1
Vid 2
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 10:15pm
Had a chance finally try rhe sigma euro l today . It's a good FH rubber a bit faster then what I expected which is good thing! Spin is good also but really easy to open loop against under spin. I wish it was a bit more spin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic