Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Stiga Allround Wood Hans Alser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Stiga Allround Wood Hans Alser
    Posted: 04/15/2013 at 2:29pm
Included in my collection post:

Edited by Antuan - 04/27/2013 at 7:07am
Sponsored Links

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Antuan Antuan wrote:

I think this blade is around 30 years old. Probably first it had 2 Cobra rubbes as you can see in the cover of the original box. I keep the original mini-catalogue from Stiga too. I don´t know if it exists this blade with ST handle because i only know Hans Alser (thick flared) and Bengstsson (thin flared). The blade is in like new condition, never sealed, never sanded. Weight: 82 grs
Hope you enjoy the pics Wink

You can find these old Stiga blades with all handles: ST, AN, FL and CO
  • FL (thin) = Contra, Georg Böhm, Ulf Bengtsson, Master
  • FL (wide) = Hans Alsér, Legend
  • ST = Ehrlich (bevelled), Bernhardt, Mellis, Berczik, Stellan Bengtsson, Peter Karlsson, Peter
  • CO = Flisan, Tony Larsson, Original, Kjell Johansson, Erik Lindh
  • AN = 2000, Ulf "Tickan" Carlsson, Winner
The Allround Wood with the black double lens was produced from 1975 up to the end of the 80's (or beginning of the 90's ?). From 1975 to 1982 you can find a serial number on one side of the handle, one letter (A-H) and two numbers. That are the best series. I think, the handle-names in black are produced in the era of the black double-lenses.

So if you found a "Bengtsson Allround Wood with a thin flared handle, you must have seen an "Ulf Bengtsson". My personal favourite handle is the "Stellan Bengtsson", followed by "Kjell Johansson".
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 4:17pm
Thank you for the info my friend!
I would like to find this blade with ST handle so. Big smile
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 4:47pm
You mean this one? Wink

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 5:03pm
Yes Magic, i mean that one.
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 5:17pm
Awww that's a beauty!! Can I ask where you bought from?? I'd love to get a hold of one!
Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by smash_fan smash_fan wrote:

Awww that's a beauty!! Can I ask where you bought from?? I'd love to get a hold of one!
You have a PM.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 5:31pm
is there a show & tell here? LOL

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 5:34pm
Woooooow beautiful blade!
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Antuan Antuan wrote:

Woooooow beautiful blade!
it's, isn't it? No dent, scratch or stain anywhere. It's not light @ 80g, 70s g or heavy like 92g or 100g...It's 87g, tailored & made for me by that Old Craftperson long long time ago...LOL The thumb-rest is just nice, like a piece of art & no other brand makes it as comfy as this. Period.
And it's not FS eventho' I already had & still will have many many offers....Big smile

Edited by tiehwen - 04/15/2013 at 6:21pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 10:19pm
 Nice pics, nice blades. As I have stated before..the Alser grip is NOT the same as the newer Legend grip regardless of what some will say. I have owned both and can say the Alser is thicker and has a different feel.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

loop2kill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 11:16am
So does anyone have pics of the conic handle ( Johansson or Lindh )?  That has been my quest since the first one I bought back in the 80s was stolen from my dorm room.
Loop, Forrest, Loop!
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 11:42am
That hans alser blade is not good. Too old. Not powerful. Too light. And not sealed properly.
Never buy old stiga from amateur.
The tiehwen ones look good.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by loop2kill loop2kill wrote:

So does anyone have pics of the conic handle ( Johansson or Lindh )?

Here are two pictures for you:

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

That hans alser blade is not good. Too old. Not powerful. Too light. .... The tiehwen ones look good.

ejmaster
Why do you think, old Stiga blades generally don`t have power? Only because they are old?
The very best Stiga blades ever were produced in the 60`s up to the early 70`s.
And in this time Stiga produced some very powerful blades.

In one case you are right. 82g is a bit too less for this Alser. So it`s not more than All-.
You are also right, that tiehwens blade looks really beautiful, a wonderful collectors item Thumbs Up,
but 1) the Alser also looks very good and 2) it doesn`t say, how it plays. 

My Bengtsson Allround is not as beautiful as the other two blades, but the quality of the veneer is very good. It is much heavier (94g) than the Alser and therefore much faster. 
I also have an old Alser World Champion from 1972/1973 with 5,8 mm thickness and a weight of 107g!
I am sure, that this blade has more power than any Allround Wood you can buy today.
But with pips in on both sides, it is much too heavy.

It is always a question of thickness, headsize and weight, which makes the quality of the blade.
And normally the quality of the old veneers is much better than today. 
My english is too bad, to explain all that to you. There are so much reasons for this higher quality.
The veneers had a longer storage. So they dried slower. 
The handles were glued with less pressure, they used an other kind of glue ..........
But like I said: these double lenses don`t have the same quality las the earlier Stiga blades.

By the way: actually I have more than 30 of these old Stiga blades. 
So I think, I am not one of these "amateurs". Wink
And I think, the Alser isn`t too old, it is a bit too young for a really good blade. Smile

loop2kill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 2:31pm
@Magic_M   Thank You!!!  Now to wipe the drool from my keyboard.
Loop, Forrest, Loop!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 9:42pm
Did you find a little old lady EJ who only played TT in her church?  The condition of those blades is remarkable.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 9:53pm
Any pictures of earlier nailed versions(all handles)?
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Did you find a little old lady EJ who only played TT in her church?  The condition of those blades is remarkable.

LOL LOL
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 10:30pm
I have three nailed handles, sadly no Bengston or Johansson...trade anyone :)

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 1:51am
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

Any pictures of earlier nailed versions(all handles)?

The first one is an old Hornet from the beginning of the 60`s. 
This blade is not nailed. Nailing began later. 

The blades with the big black letter belong to my primary collection.
I am just searching for Mellis (M), Neidert (N) and Stipancic (T).
If you have one of these blades or if you know someone, who is owner of such a blade,
please contact me. The blades 1, 6 and 9 (and some more) can be traded.
Wink

Edited by Magic_M - 04/17/2013 at 2:50pm
Tobbe99 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobbe99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2020 at 3:13am
im a new member and have start to collect old rackets from Stiga. Here in Sweden you can find the most common on auction sites and fleemarkets... I have understand that i am in good company here... 😁 But one guestion i must ask.. When you store blades without rubber, do you put any kind of clear laquer on them, and IF you do, is it only on the blade itself, cause old water sticker on handle i assume will be destroyd otherwise? Best regards Tobbe in Gothenburg /Sweden

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2020 at 1:36am
I seal all my blades without any exception, and I feel safe from the risk of splintering.
What do you mean by old water sticker will be destroyed ?
I use Minwax Polyurethane spray (NOT waterbased). If you use non water-based sealant, I believe there will be no problem.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Tobbe99 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobbe99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2020 at 11:46am
I ment that it maybe was a risk that solventbased laqueer could losen up the stickers. I never tried myself, so just wondering. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic