FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly Dragutin Surbek Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Dragutin Surbek Blade Review
    Posted: 04/24/2013 at 8:10pm
Hello friends!

I couldn't find the old Butterfly Surbek blade's (European Champion model FL) review, so I decided just to add one by my own view for this old and discontinued blade. I hope my topic will be a great opportunity for all fans of the old table-tennis blades to understand more for this old Butterfly beauty and his "Godfather".

The blade is produced and introduced in the end of the 1960's or beginning of the 1970's (Surbek is European Champion from 1968) . I don't know how long time it is made and when it is stopped. If somebody has this info I will be glad to know. If the blade I have is made in the end of 1960's and beginning of the 1970's it will be minimum at 40 years old now.
Serious age for a former top blade from the most popular professional table tennis brand in the world.
I will start with the story of the player who gave his name to this blade - Dragutin Surbek from Croatia.

Picture is from 2011 and personal details are from the web www.croatianhistory.net

Results of Surbek:
1.Two times World Champion in Doubles (one in 1979 with Anthony Stipancic and another one in 1983 with Zoran Kalinic)
2.Three times World Championships Bronze Medalist - 1971,1973,1981.
3.Europen Champion - Single in 1968 and Team - 1976.
4.Three times European Champion in doubles - 1970, 1982 and 1984.

Dragutin Surbek is 30 times Yugoslavian (Many years ago Yugoslavia was country which includes Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia). He is also 30 times Balkan Champion.
He has 550 matches for the National Team.
Between 1970-1975 he is playing for his club "Vjesnik" and he reaches 123 wins one after other and this is probably unbeaten world record.
Surbek has total 37 medals from European and World Championships.

Another very interesting about Surbek are his incredible skills : His power in the drive/smash strokes was 200 km/h and 10,000 revs in the topspin strokes ( YEAAAAAHHH - TEN THOUSANDS!!! Confused LOL Big smile )
He is the best European player all times with more wins than losses against the Chinese players.

I think this is enough to receive clear view about : Who is Dragutin Surbek - just a phenomenon in table-tennis!

Now to share the size of his blade:
The head is 147mm wide and 159mm long, 6.2mm thickness, 90 grams. It is OFF to OFF+ blade.

I tested it with Tenergy 05 2.1mm both sides. It is more faster than my M.Maze Alc blade. It is hard but it has very interesting feeling. The feeling may be is connected with the very good catapult effect in drive strokes. Blocking, receiving short placed balls and also cutting requires high level of attention and very good skills. With this blade definitely the things are happened more faster than with M.Maze.
Topspin strokes with this blade are going very spiny for the opponents, also serving is with great sense for control and spin. I feel great this blade in serving and I know I will have better advantage in serving if I am using Surbek than M.Maze, but the reason I will think twice before to get this blade for my personal set-up is its very short handle.

Another 2 pictures:

Here is one great video from Surbek's game - fast reaction and very spectacular point! Enjoy the video and thank you for watching! Thumbs Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFIzKjjc7Is

Edited by kolevtt - 04/24/2013 at 8:24pm
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 12:22am
 Thank you for your contribution, Mr. Surbek was indeed a great pioneer for our sport and a great player. Nice pics! Smile I hope my blades look that good after 4 decades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 1:10am
I used the Surbek for a long time, I'm very familiar with the blade and how it plays and I still have one. Mine is 158x147x6.2mm. Like most classic blades it's heavier than a modern blade and mine weighs 97 grams.

Speed is OFF, it's a very high dwell soft feel blade for it's speed. The most similar modern blade you will find to it is a soft 7 ply, I don't know of any modern 5 plys with a similar feel.

Also there are at least two versions of the Surbek blade, the original with the strange square shape which was made in the late 60s? into 70s and a more modern shaped head Surbek which was made in the early? 80s. I'm not sure if the actual composition changed or stayed the same with the change of shape

Edited by bluebucket - 04/25/2013 at 1:20am
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 3:33am
I had a BTY Surbek blade (AN), it was my first blade with proper rubbers (Spico Speedy Spin).

I think I bought it in September 1988, but were there 2 versions, one ALL one OFF? I'm surprised I would have bought an OFF blade at taht stage.

I think it broke or I swapped it, can't remember.

I hope the date is useful, but I can't tell you anything about how it played as I was completely unaware at the time.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 4:08am
Not likely that you bought this version in 1988, Olio. Maybe there is a later version. Looking at that picture of Surbeck I can see two EC version and one junior 555. Is that all the Butterfly blades name after him?
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 4:34am
It had stripes like the close up of the EC with the T05, but it didn't have the sticker-like name. I'm pretty sure it had something like the current round sticker with ALL in the top left.

It's that one, I remember the triangle at the base of the handle: http://old-butterfly.lima-city.de/ebty.html the one that says 5 ply Surbek from the 80s

Edited by Olio - 04/25/2013 at 4:35am
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 5:37am
Thank you for your comments, friends!
I forgot to tell you the most appropriate rubbers for this blade. Sorry for this. Originally this blade had Super Sriver or Sriver D13 both rubbers in red color, glued very strong. That is the reason I lost more than a hour to unglue the rubbers and clean the blade. It is very good varnished by manufacturer.
Because of the short handle and long head, hard feeling and strange form, I think best rubber for this blade will be something SOFT and not very speedy. Keep your min far from Tenergy, even the FX versions. My paddle with rubbers T05 cut for Maze ALC 157/150 + the blade = 180-185 grams, which is not so high. But as I wrote - the short handle and long head make the feeling more heavy, because the balance is not good. You will need SOFT and LIGHT rubbers if you want to use this blade. Another case will be if you are using rubbers around 1.8mm with middle hardness. Then the set-up will be acceptable.
For example Olivier is using Korpa with Rasant 1.7mm. Korpa is more softer blade and also very fast. The strange form of Korpa and Surbek are similiar, but Korpa is with more long ST handle.

I was really surprised when I saw the style of Surbek in youtube. His forehand is so far from the current technique. But 40 years ago it worked great, as we all can see by his results. His forehand loop is very strong side spin oriented when he receive a good ball and opportunity to finish the rally.
Now I know where Waldner learned this LOL
Choooo leeeey! Surbek is the best! Cool Beer

garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 7:57am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Many years ago Yugoslavia was country which includes Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia.

And Macedonia, Bosnia, Montenegro.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 8:26am
The older Surbek blades were available until at least mid to late 70s and maybe even into the early 80s. 

Surbek was an amazing and courageous player: my hero when i started playing as a kid. Ridiculously fit with superhuman footwork and a great work ethic; he was spectacular lobber and had a FH loop with prodigious power. 

Whilst he did do sidespin on some of his FH loops many of them were more pure topspin. He was especially fond of the off FH loop to the BH side.

I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 3:27am
Thank you for all the posts!
Could someone tell me what was the market price of this blade in the past?
I really don't need to hold this blade because of the short handle and I will be happy if someone wants to get it for himself just for the most acceptable price!
Thank you once again!
Smile

Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 4:43am
Don't know about yours. I remember I paid exactly 129 FF (about 18€) for mine in 1988.

For collectors I'd think ca 100$ for blade only?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 6:00am
Wow! Thank you for your answer, Olio!
Do you remember what else you can buy with these money through this time?
It will be great and very interesting I think if we all can know some kind of comparison.
If you are offering me for 100 USD probably I will receive your offer Smile
If Olio doesn't needs this blade I will accept this sum from the first who ask me.
Thank you in advance!

Edited by kolevtt - 04/26/2013 at 6:03am
TCHANTCHES_007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCHANTCHES_007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 7:10am
Hello,

Have you some pictures about your SURBEK ?
Can I have this ?

[email protected]
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2013 at 8:53am
Sorry, missed that reply!

I have not got the blade anymore, but one reason I remember the price is taht I had it with 2 Speedy Spin SpiCo, which cost each 129FF as well, so ordered 3 items with identical price.

My guesstimate of 100$ was just that, a (bad apparently) guess.
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2017 at 3:55am
I have a blade like this in perfect condition.

interesting topic

Edited by apex600 - 02/27/2017 at 3:56am
Gansy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gansy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2017 at 9:57pm
Hi all.
Just picked this up and wondering if it is the original one??
Right shape?
Thanks 
Chris

apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2017 at 6:22pm
i would say yes. i have 2 old surbek blades like this
954gator View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 954gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 6:03pm
Is there anywhere on the web I can find out a bit more on vintage blades like this one?   I have an old butterfly Xstar Model M that appears very similar to this one.    Paddle used to be my fathers and the rubbers were in horrible shape, but the blade seemed just fine.   I want to know what type of blade this is to figure out what to put on it.
Anyone know of any info on this similarly vintage butterfly? Is it all around/OFF-/OFF?   Type of wood? Or even the types of rubbers used at the time?
Thanks in advance!

Edited by 954gator - 10/27/2017 at 6:04pm
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 2:45pm
I was playing with that one 1976-1979,the varnished handle slipped out of my sweaty hand and just missed the guy at the other side of the table LOL
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic