Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Agnes Simon blade review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Agnes Simon blade review
    Posted: 05/19/2013 at 4:33pm
Hello friends,

I will continue with my reviews about old and rare to find blades. Today on focus is very old Agnes Simon blade. I suppose the blade is japan made by Butterfly, but I can't find stickers. I know for the Imperial Agnes Simon blade, but this is not the same, I think. Actually, it is possible the blade to be both Imperial & Butterfly, if we receive it is made from Butterfly for Imperial. I'll be glad if someone could import more light about this question - what made is this blade ?

I will continue with a short review about the player Agnes Simon. She is born in 1935 in Hungary, she has won:
Gold 1957 Stockholm Doubles
Silver 1954 London Team
Bronze 1953 Bucharest Team
After changing her nationality from Hungary to West Germany, she has won:
Bronze 1976 Prague Doubles
Silver 1972 Rotterdam Team
Silver 1970 Moscow Doubles
Gold 1968 Lyon Team
Bronze 1966 London Doubles
Gold 1962 Berlin Singles
Silver 1962 Berlin Doubles
Silver 1962 Berlin Mixed Doubles
Gold 1962 Berlin Team

Here I received some pictures from German colleague:

In original condition the paddle of Agnes that I have was complected with two Butterfly Tackiness C red and D black 1.9 mm.
From a German colleague who glued the paddle of Agnes some years ago I understood Agnes played with pips out rubber on her backhand.
Probably later in his career she used pips out.
Here I have photos of the original condition of the paddle:

Here is the blade without the rubbers that I removed very carefully :

Outer ply is looking like koto. There is samba in the middle and/or ayous between them. It seems it is some kind of earlier Primo OFF-, someone told me that Agnes Simon with sure is like Butterfly Phalanx. The head of the blade is very big - 160mm long and 150mm wide. The handle is thin and very smooth and pleasant to hold it. The wood of the handle is the same like the wood of the Cresail, Kazan, Hermoso, Gergely, Secretin blades. There is metal logo stamped with the name of Agnes Simon.
The weight of this big blade is only 82 grams. And it is with 5.7mm thickness approximately.
About the playing possibilities of this blade I will be short, because it is far of my style. The blade is slowly and hard. It is Allround- to Off-, depending of the rubbers. I tested it with Tenergy 05 and the control in passive strokes is amazing! Placing the ball is very easy, because you just feel the ball like it is more than a 5 seconds in your hand! Topspin strokes are extremely strong in spin, also chopping and cutting too. Because of the big head and low speed I suppose it will be a great blade for a chopper or combined player with pips-out rubber, who prefers FL instead ST handles. In spite of the FL handle this blade is very easy for twiddling, because the handle is very thin.

I hope I was useful with this review!
Thumbs Up

Edited by kolevtt - 05/19/2013 at 5:35pm
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2013 at 8:15pm
Wow, that woman still looks incredibly fit at 78!  I am determined to never stop plahing.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2013 at 3:23am
That woman is a real Table Tennis STAR!!!Star
Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2013 at 7:17am
Wow, nice find.
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 1:42pm
nice blade! looks just like my Dr.Simon blade
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by proSpin proSpin wrote:

nice blade! looks just like my Dr.Simon blade

Come on, put here one picture of your Dr.Simon blade! Is it Imperial ?
Thanks!

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2013 at 4:20am
I noticed just today that Agnes Simon blade is looking like Butterfly Matsu Pro Model! Absolutely same thickness and materials on first look! Even the handles are from the same brown material...
So - I have 35 Years or more old Matsu Pro Model with FL handle even better for cutting and chopping than the version ST :)
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2013 at 10:26am
Here's my Dr Simon!! :DD

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2013 at 10:40am
Thank you for your picture!

Do you think it is possible Dr.Simon blade to be the same as Koji Matsushita Pro Model ST?
What is the head size of your blade and thickness, weight?
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2013 at 11:51am
haha, i lazy measure weight and thickness. 
Its size is pretty unusual. rather small compared to the others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic