Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

U.S. Open Challenge Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 6:22pm
The refs are at it again.
Sponsored Links

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 7:01pm
called it
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 10:45pm
Congratulations to Eugene Wang (Zhen) - I officially admit I have no clue how good this guy is! Didn't think he could beat Kreanga - he did, didn't think he could beat Lundquist - he did ... seems like a top 50 player.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 11:33pm
Sorry for the late post, I was out all day today.

Congratulation to the "Guessing Game" winners:

NextLevel:        Eugene Wang
beeray1  :         Eugene Wang
skip3119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

called it

With big help from my boy Tao
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

I predicted Wang Zhen too are you discriminating against me skippy AngryAngryAngry
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 2:37am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Congratulations to Eugene Wang (Zhen) - I officially admit I have no clue how good this guy is! Didn't think he could beat Kreanga - he did, didn't think he could beat Lundquist - he did ... seems like a top 50 player.

Permit me to gloat a little - when you see someone is Chinese, throw out the rankings unless they play a lot on the tour, which Eugene hardly does.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 3:14am

Did you watch the full match between Wang Zhen and Jens Lundqvist? I've never seen Lundqvist that frustrated before and it wasn't because of anything Wang Zhen was doing. There were a ton of unforced errors.

Not sure if the "nightlife" in Vegas was too tempting to pass up, or a botched glue job was why he kept staring at his FH rubber, or what, but that was very uncharacteristic play for him.

Edited by BMonkey - 07/07/2013 at 3:17am
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 3:17am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Did you watch the full match between Wang Zhen and Jens Lundqvist? I've never seen Lundqvist that frustrated before and it wasn't because of anything Wang Zhen was doing. There were a ton of unforced errors.

Not sure if Friday night in Vegas was too tempting to pass up, or a botched glue job was why he kept staring at his FH rubber, or what, but that was very uncharacteristic play for him.
the finalist was very frustrated as well, not just Lindquist....i was sitting right behind the coaches...Eugene played top 25 level...the final was with the chinese penhold in the quarters...
i was wrong picking the Japan Open champ...but as i said i was pulling for Eugene and once again he walked the walked and proved his level
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 4:47am

I predicted Wang Zhen too are you discriminating against me skippy AngryAngryAngry

Quote the post where you did it.
Cybershape Carbon
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 8:32am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Not sure if the "nightlife" in Vegas was too tempting to pass up, or a botched glue job was why he kept staring at his FH rubber, or what, but that was very uncharacteristic play for him.
How about he lost to a better player fair and square Wink.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 8:57am

Wang Zhen with the repeat. Just beat Kreanga, Crisan backed out, and its familiar turf.

Here it is...
Cybershape Carbon
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 10:57am
Eugene's style of pace change has the effect of making opponents whiff their bread and butter shots. The more they miss the more frustrated they become which causes them to miss even more. It's an effective strategy even in the top 100!
It however didn't work at all against ma long. There is a video of ma vs wang and wang gets dominated pretty badly
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Wang Zhen with the repeat. Just beat Kreanga, Crisan backed out, and its familiar turf.

Here it is...

^_^
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Eugene's style of pace change has the effect of making opponents whiff their bread and butter shots. The more they miss the more frustrated they become which causes them to miss even more. It's an effective strategy even in the top 100!
It however didn't work at all against ma long. There is a video of ma vs wang and wang gets dominated pretty badly

It requires him to be able to consistently return your shots. It will work against the guys without power and modest consistency, but he can't play that way against top 20 power, which was what Tao used to bother him. He can't bring back the quality of power that that the best in Europe or China have without taking more risks. Watch the match against Dima from the LA Open - it gives you a better idea of the challenges he faces against consistent power. He will win some points, but he can't play defence.
Cybershape Carbon
LoopsALot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopsALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 12:21pm
Unbelievable Wang Zhen is still improving in his late 20s.
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 12:46pm

============================================

Unlike any other entrants who were specific , your wording escaped me - you were not included in the list.

cmetsbeltran15 joins NextLevel and beeray1 as the winners of this "Guessing Game".

skip3119
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 12:59pm

============================================

Unlike any other entrants who were specific , your wording escaped me - you were not included in the list.

cmetsbeltran15 joins NextLevel and beeray1 as the winners of this "Guessing Game".

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH PartyPartyBeerHandshake
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by LoopsALot LoopsALot wrote:

why unbelievable?
Cybershape Carbon
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 5:19pm
Jens was frustrated because Eugene was making him miss, and he probably had that "this is impossible, he's ranked so low and I've never heard of him" attitude, not because he was out all night. Are you kidding? How many top players does this guy have to beat for people to realize his level? He is the master of pace control and is so consistent it's scary. Not to mention the guy just doesn't lose when he's pushed off the table. Not only that, but his poker face will break you down. I bet he could be even better with more international experience against better players. He's good at adjusting his game clearly. Did you see him put Kreanga's backhands back like they were normal shots? Because I did. 
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by LoopsALot LoopsALot wrote:

why unbelievable?

Agree, why unbelievable??

I don't believe it is Wang Zhen improving.
It is him just finding form that he has before.

I guess he just does not have enough chances for the likes of Loopsalot to know his true quality, but then again a word rank 80 something beat a world rank 50 something, whats the big fuss about Wink, plus he can be a top 50 if he trains and compete full time
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

How many top players does this guy have to beat for people to realize his level?  

Seriously.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 6:30pm
Eugene beat Mattenet this year and Gao Ning and Primorac amongst others last year. Gao Ning would likely blank out Jens as well. However, I do believe that Jens has a more volatile and risky style and that if they played again, the score would not be as lopsided. Consistent players like Eugene are only overwhelmed by consistent power above their level.
Cybershape Carbon
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 6:31pm

Really enjoyed the event from a neutral position. Great to see some of the older players and some complete unknowns to me really playing some great TT.

Think Eugene Wang's style of play is good to watch for me. He does some pretty clever things with the ball and placement playing to his strengths. Will be good to see him against better players. His ranking will all depend on how often get gets to play on the bigger stage which i hope is more.

On a side note Eugene Wang's manner on the table is something of a breath of fresh air.

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 7:03pm

Jens was frustrated because Eugene was making him miss, and he probably had that "this is impossible, he's ranked so low and I've never heard of him" attitude, not because he was out all night. Are you kidding? How many top players does this guy have to beat for people to realize his level? He is the master of pace control and is so consistent it's scary. Not to mention the guy just doesn't lose when he's pushed off the table. Not only that, but his poker face will break you down. I bet he could be even better with more international experience against better players. He's good at adjusting his game clearly. Did you see him put Kreanga's backhands back like they were normal shots? Because I did. 

Something tells me that a top 50 would quickly realize that he underestimated a player and adjust accordingly before he was down 2-0 let alone 3-0. His advisor would've surely reminded him if he didn't realize it himself.
Jen can beat Eugene just not by trying to power through him.
Eugene again proves that his strength is strategy, pace change and an amazing ability to find the weakest link in an opponents game.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 9:35pm
Can someone post a link for the Tao vs Wang match?

Despite all the love for Wang, his final match is like slow motion compared with the final between Yan an and Ma Long the next day

Edited by The Observer - 07/07/2013 at 9:37pm
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Something tells me that a top 50 would quickly realize that he underestimated a player and adjust accordingly before he was down 2-0 let alone 3-0. His advisor would've surely reminded him if he didn't realize it himself.
Jen can beat Eugene just not by trying to power through him.
Eugene again proves that his strength is strategy, pace change and an amazing ability to find the weakest link in an opponents game.

Nah, not if it's a white guy. LOL You frustrate a white guy at the table, he's usually done for; as shown by the fact that Jens, once frustrated, never came down from it. 

Edited by beeray1 - 07/07/2013 at 10:00pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Despite all the love for Wang, his final match is like slow motion compared with the final between Yan an and Ma Long the next day
==============================================================

US Open Tao vs Wang.
Total length (time) of the video is:  4:19:11.

Slide the time bar to:  1:45:00
Tao vs Wang's match starts at that point.

Both Tao and Wang had several Match Points, Tao couldn't make it - in the end Wang made it.
The match could have gone either way.

skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 10:17pm
The Observer's pick was Tao.

He almost got it right.

For the entie match, Tao couldn't keep his head cool, lost 3 or 4 points on his own service - serving into the net or serving out of bound.  Wang got quite a few FREE points.
skip3119
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

I have been making that point not so directly.   Watching the Tao match makes it painfully obvious. I also think it is the reason why Kai Zhang will be catching up to him in a few years.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic