FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Calibra Tour Series Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Calibra Tour Series Review
    Posted: 05/31/2013 at 6:45am
Stiga Calibra Tour Series Rubbers (Tour S, M, H)

Stiga has just recently released its 3 new additions to its Calibra Series rubbers. Having a new topsheet and using the calibra sponge, these 3 new rubbers will sure attract a lot players who are looking for an alternative of the euro rubbers and tenergy rubbers. Priced at about $60 USD, this series of rubbers are very affordable yet could compete with top rubbers of today. These are designated as Tour S, M and H for Soft, Medium and Hard respectively.

First Impressions

Stiga has made a great effort in making a good packaging that is visually attractive and is much better to look at compared to the previous calibra series. The sponge is identical to the first generation calibras for each tour rubber. The calibra tour S is considered soft but not as soft as the older Calibra LT Sound. The LT Sound seems softer than the Tour S and I could consider the Tour S as medium soft rather than totally soft. If you have used an RITC Focus Snipe, the Tour S is much firm. When comparing both sponges which I have on a press test, the LT Sound sinks deeper than the Tour S when pressing my fingers against it. The Tour M has a medium sponge hardness comparable to either Calibra Spin or Calibra LT regular. Comparing it to other brands, the Tour M is nearest to the Acuda S2 or Evolution EL-P. The Tour H has the hardest sponge among the 3 rubbers comparable almost to T05 hardness or maybe a Tibhar 1Q or Aurus regular sponge hardness. I would like to point out also that the Tour series rubbers have a max thickness of 2.1mm. The older Calibras have a 2.2mm max sponge thickness. I have weighed the rubbers on a digital weighing scale and they weigh as 58 grams for tour S, 61 grams for Tour M and 65 grams for Tour H. 

The topsheets for the 3 rubbers are kinda unique and special. The new topsheet doesn’t look like anything we have seen from Stiga or any other brands. When you look at the pics that I have taken, you could see that the topsheet for the 3 rubbers are grainy and looks like a very fine sandpaper surface. It’s kinda deceiving on its looks but it has a very high quality finish. Also, the peculiar thing about the topsheet is that when you try to rub your finger or nail on the topsheet it isn’t grippy. The usual topsheets have grippy surfaces when you contact it and rub against it but this one isn’t that much grippy.

Speed

The Tour H is the fastest among the 3 rubbers. The tour H has the speed faster than tenergy 64. It has a very long trajectory like the Calibra LT+ that even if you stand at about 4-5 feet away from the table and hit the ball with some force there are still chances that the ball goes very long and way past the table. At a distance of about 6-7 feet I can still hit the ball with much power that its speed doesn’t change much proving that the H version is very fast. If compared to euro rubbers, it’s worth mentioning that the Tour H is faster than the MX-P. The Tour M on the other hand has a speed comparable to that of many euro rubbers like M2, P7, 1Q or T05. It’s still is very fast but not as much as the H version. The S version isn’t as soft as the Aurus Sound but a little firmer. It is faster than the LT Sound.

Spin

All 3 have great spin potential. The grippiness of the 3 topsheets seems deceiving but the rubber as whole can produce great mechanical spin. Unlike most of the newer euro rubbers which have some sort of tackiness on the topsheet, these rubbers are way different, they don't feel grippy at all and i was very much apprehensive at first. I think the combination of the sponge and the structure of the topsheet make the tour series very spinny. Though on harder shots the M and H versions feel spinnier. All of the 3 have medium to high arcs when looping. I was surprised that the Tour H for its hardness was very spinny. A friend of mine who is a very good spinner and can serve hard underspin serves with his neo h3 provincial served a very spinny underspin towards me and when i 2nd ball attacked it it seems very easy to loop and the arc was high indicating that the ball produced was indeed spinny. the Tour M was the easiest to spin with in terms of loop. A varsity student of mine like the Tour M and when he was using it against me, it feel several notches better than his previous rakza 7. Also the amount of control these 3 rubbers have are very good especially for the Tour M and H despite their high speed level. 

The Tour Series's spin level are comparable to top euro rubbers today. It may not be as spinny as a chinese rubber or T05 but nonetheless very spinny. The biggest strength of the tour m and h is that they are very nice to do counterdriving and looping away from the table. These 2 are made for powershots with the tour H on a much greater distance wawy from the table. The tour m is good 5-6 feet away, the tour h maybe 7-8 feet away from the table and still retains its power and very long trajectory. i had to adjust for a few minutes with the power and trajectory of the tour H. The tour s is very good for blocking close to the table and together with the tour m both rubbers are very easy to flick and do drop shots. The tour H needs adjustment on these short strokes but are as well not hard to do. Also, the 3 rubbers have way less sensitivity to incoming spin. I don't know for sure but i think Stiga has made a rubber that is less sensitive to incoming spin but at the same tiem when you spin the ball you can produce huge amount of spin on it by way of sponge and topsheet compression and contact and not just on friction alone. 

All in all these 3 are very satisfying to use. Im more biased on the tour M and H, especially on the H version. It doesn't feel too hard, it's fast and it can spin well too. The tour M is the most balanced of the 3 with capabilities and control on all strokes while the tour s is very user friendly and could be good enough to use even a intermediate levels of play
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 6:45am
will post my reviews soon 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 7:23am
some test sheets sent out to us as well ?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 8:28am
Look at that topsheet. I could sand my decking with that.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 9:13am
the topsheets are grainy. sorry decoi, my contact is only the export manager of stiga. i can't ask them those favors 

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 9:19am
ahh gwan

maybe 2 or 3 of each then we can do a fellowship of the rubber thing and pass the rubbers around like used Johnnys 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 8:31pm
updated with review

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 9:04pm
i wouldnt call 60 usd very affordable. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 9:43pm
considering teh prices of rubbers nowadays i think it still is affordable unless you will be comparing it to older rubbers

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 2:10am
Good review. However what is the feeling of tour m does it have the feel of tour s or a dead feeling like h3 or hard feeling like 05. Do you feel the ball on slow strokes?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 7:03am
all the 3 rubbers have good feel. the 3 are very lively especially the m and h versions. they are bouncy. the tour m has a medium feel while the tour h has a medium hard feel and not totally hard like the 1Qxd or T05

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 7:16am
I like to try the tour S as backhand rpb rubber.. do you think it works? loop and hit kind.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 8:03am
try the medium instead. the s version is kinda slow for my taste though hitting through the sponge is ok because of the soft sponge

Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 8:52am
Is the Tour M better than Bluefire?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 9:41am
ive only tried the m1 and m2.. the tour m and h have their own strengths but can't necessarily say they are better

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 1:43am
I think the tour s is sensitive to the blade you use, because when I played it on a viscaria/zjk alc it felt slower and less spin. While on the acoustic it felt like a bullet with way more spin than tenergy. We did a test with my friends, one was using mxp with innerforce zlc my setup was faster and way spinnier, one with korbel sk7 with 05 the spin was about the same but he couldn't match the speed of my setup. Seems stiga has tested these rubbers on their wood series . But what I can't understand why 5 ply wood flexy blade is faster than alc zlc and 7 ply stiff blade. Does the rubber need to sink soo much into the sponge and there it is a great loaded catapult effect that you can only watch the ball passing by without even reaching it!!! Any expert on this effect?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 4:54am
depends on the inner core of the blade also. the blade affects the performance but i have tried the tour s on both an all wood and a carbon blade, still the tour s is kinda slow though its a bit faster in a carbon blade

AndresFrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndresFrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2013 at 7:34pm
hi 
someone could compare in terms of speed and spin with Donic bluefire m2
and something that I find very curious, how it feels to the touch the top sheet?
and the usual question what would be a good option to change tenergy 05?
blade: Adidas c100-fl

FH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
BH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

I like to try the tour S as backhand rpb rubber.. do you think it works? loop and hit kind.

tour m would be better.. it seems soft as it is.. maybe even H.. Tour S might be too soft..
i tried tour m on a shakehand blade but with Cpen grip (RPB).. you can get really good spin on the ball with good pace. its got a similar throw to Omega asia but perhaps a little lower.

there was calibra sound on the other side of that blade. and sound was a good bit faster but had bryce like throw. btw stupidly fast. 

also the Tour M felt like it would be a very light rubber. 

you could say its in the league with T05fx but softer and lighter. perhaps the H would be more like T05/fx

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by AndresFrz AndresFrz wrote:

hi 
someone could compare in terms of speed and spin with Donic bluefire m2
and something that I find very curious, how it feels to the touch the top sheet?
and the usual question what would be a good option to change tenergy 05?

to me it was much easier to get spin and controlled speed from the Tour M and it had a lot more feel to it.
Bluefire M2 didnt give of the same "i got the ball now spin the bejesus out of it", M2 is more like " Hit it and we shall see what happens"

although one problem i would see with Tour M is blocking heavy/fast topspins which may cause it to bottom out

the topsheet on the Tour M is grainy, it feels and looks like it will never grab the ball.. but it does

Edited by decoi - 06/21/2013 at 8:19pm

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2013 at 11:17pm
I also got the same feeling about BF M2 as decoi. I have it on H-Hao and Calibra Tour M on Intensity NCT Cpen. M2 seems a slight bit faster but also lack ball feel and more unpredictable if hit harder.

I dig up my old Sword Hero rubber and compare it to Calibra M as it also use grainy top sheet to generate grip rather than usual Chinese tacky surface. They look similar but Calibra is more grainy by comparison. Hero's sponge is very hard and only looping hard will get a similar feel of bite and power as Calibra. Hope Calibra won't crack that easy.   
AndresFrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndresFrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2013 at 7:24pm
hello
Thanks for your comment
but because I would like to understand better what of: Bluefire M2 did not give of the same "i got the ball now spin the bejesus out of it", M2 is more like "Hit it and we Shall see what happens".
and then in terms of speed as you might compare those 2
and how is your game, and what suits your game more bluefire m2 or calibra tour M
thanks
blade: Adidas c100-fl

FH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
BH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2013 at 8:33pm
for me probably the Tour M.

what i mean by those comments is that Bluefire doesnt feel like it gives back a lot of feedback, where as the TM does
in terms if speed for me TM is faster than M2 but TM hold the ball for longer

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 12:27pm
thank for reply yogi and decoi.. for cpen nh rubber, do you think 1.7 thickness tour M is ok?
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

thank for reply yogi and decoi.. for cpen bh rubber, do you think 1.7 thickness tour M is ok?
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 1:15pm
depends on how you hit and whether u block heavy topspins. it may bottom out...also im not sure what thikness i was using :O 

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 1:44pm
I actually thinking og getting the TourS to try but many cmments too soft.. i actually like soft rubbers..
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 5:12pm
grab the TM..safer choice really

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 11:40pm
I have Tour M max black on order from PaddlePalace.com. Will report here within a week comparing to rubbers like S1T and BW2.
BBC, SP, LP
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 4:17am
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

grab the TM..safer choice really
Thank you.. maybe i'll give the max TM a try.. to aviod bottom out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic