Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Calibra Tour Series Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
meltinpot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meltinpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Calibra Tour Series Review
    Posted: 09/12/2013 at 9:51am
I have tried all of the calibra tour series. There are very grippy with a different topsheet than any other  I rubber I have tried. Defenetaley all of them are very dead rubbers... There are very slow in comparison with previous calibra, boost series tenergy series. evollution series..... the one I liked most of these three is the H, I like hard rubbers and it is a bit faster than the other 2. With the other 2 you cant play from a long distance, with the M had no feeling, the S is pretty well for its characteristics with good feeling but still very slow... Not that soft, I would say is soft to medium...
STIGA CLIPPER CR
FH MXP 2.1mm BLACK
BH STIGA BOOST TP MAX RED
Sponsored Links

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2013 at 10:32am
Imo the problem with stiga rubbers begins with the sponge. Either inconsistent as in the Boost series or too dense in the Calibras.
So the ball does not sink well in the Calibras.
Lack of gears.
Either the tenergies or a baracuda feel lot better.
Besides the top sheet is better quality in baracuda. Calibra to compensate the dense sponge has a thinner topsheet.
Calibra being a little faster at fast pace (not much faster) does not compensate lack of gears and control feeling.

Edited by ejmaster - 07/31/2013 at 4:21pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2013 at 9:35am
Honestly, I like both rubbers as they have their specific qualities, but I do feel that I  brush the ball better with the Calibra Tour M as I am no way a marvelous technician and the control is very nice as you can place the ball where you want on some blocks, but I may say that it due to the blade used as I use the VJ on a RL Sotto Voce which is harder and the Tour M on a Stiga Intensity NCT. My short game is slightly better with the Tour M but I will carry-on my training with the Xiom VJ.
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2013 at 8:38am
Originally posted by stanton65 stanton65 wrote:

Tonight, I played with the Stiga Calibra Tour M as FH on my Stiga Intensity NCT together with Xiom Vega Europe on BH. I was blown away by the ease of putting powerful top spins, blocks and loops in addition to the great control. IMO this is a very good match to the Intensity NCT which is a  5 ply with good felling. This is a really good surprise although I am a great fan of  Xiom Vega Japan.

I am also a big fan of the Vega Japan, and I had considered replacing it with the Tour M or H. Be totally honest with me, which of the 2 do you prefer? What are their pros and cons? Is the Tour M noticeably better at anything than Vega Japan?

Edited by 128YinYang - 07/31/2013 at 8:39am
Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2013 at 9:03pm
yeah.. also guys be very very very careful removing these from your blades the sponge snaps very easily
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2013 at 8:41pm
i think tour H and tour M are the rubbers to choose in the tour series
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2013 at 1:53pm
Tonight, I played with the Stiga Calibra Tour M as FH on my Stiga Intensity NCT together with Xiom Vega Europe on BH. I was blown away by the ease of putting powerful top spins, blocks and loops in addition to the great control. IMO this is a very good match to the Intensity NCT which is a  5 ply with good felling. This is a really good surprise although I am a great fan of  Xiom Vega Japan.
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
parhelia9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parhelia9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 2:44am
my tour H will arrive next week , will test it out and let u know ....it will be direct compared with a few xiom rubbers on bty viscaria  , pls stay tune Smile
return to XIOM amadues (little mozart)

FH :XIOM TAU I
BH :Cornilleau Pulse Racer
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 3:01am
I mounted Stiga Calibra Tour M black max on a Sardius clone today and it worked better then on the Balsa-cored blades. A few of other players at my local TT club tried this combo -- two US 2000 players and a US 1200 player. The first 2000 loved it for slapping through all my LP chops and said he'd never have to leave the table again given the speed of his kill shots. The second 2000 player, a lefty looper, didn't like it, saying it was too low throw and didn't spin very much. The 1200 struggled for consistency. I find it more playable now but it doesn't deliver near the spin as my S1T or my BW2.
BBC, SP, LP
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:26am
well yes and no... this helps most with hard rubbers, but it should still help with medium-soft rubbers such as calibra...

in general you need some tension in your forearm and wrist or else you wont get the feeling and control over the ball and so you wont be able to do as much with it.

but yeah this rubber suits Bh more for a weaker player perhaps both..
even tour H is most likely good/more of a bh rubber ( i have it but havent tried it, just judging from hardness)

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 3:11am
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

try tensing up your forearm and grip during loops a little more.. but dotn tense up your upper arm and shoulder..
Do you mean smaller and compact strokes? Its seems like a backhand rubber to me..
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:48am
try tensing up your forearm and grip during loops a little more.. but dotn tense up your upper arm and shoulder..

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:45am
Day one at the TT club with Stiga Calibra Tour M black max:

I struggled with this rubber today.. not an easy transition from what I've been using lately which is BW2 and S1T. Tour M reminds me of Bluefire in one regard, and that's the consistent power needed to get the topsheet to engage. Go for a touch shot or a brush and the rubber doesn't always do what you want. Even when I was hooking up 100% with my topspin drives my opponents at the club today had no problems whatsoever. "Not dangerous" was one comment, and I'm used to seeing my loops dive under their paddles when I hit one well.

On serve I couldn't get Tour M to generate much spin. Used for blocking, it was ultra fast and stole time from my opponents like no other rubber I've used. But it wasn't nearly as insensitive to spin as I was hoping thought it's certainly better than most in that regard.

I think one problem is that I like to play with a paddle that weighs in the 150-155g range, and a rubber with a fairly thick topsheet like this one probably needs 180g+ to tell it what to do. I tried Tour M on a few blades and it didn't make much difference.. just not a rubber that suits my game. Maybe Tour S but I'm reluctant to drop more cash on it. Tour M was harder feeling than I was expecting, perhaps due to its topsheet. Like Tenergy, I wouldn't recommend Tour M for sub-2000 players (I'm USA 1700+ and couldn't get into its zone).

In closing, to my earlier post I'll add that Tour M is a flat-hitter's dream, with each smack rewarded with a low-toned "crack!" and incredible speed that's coupled with plenty of sink to land the ball on the table.
BBC, SP, LP
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 10:37pm
Initial impressions after mounting with a Donic glue sheet and about 30m of robot time.

Crisp and very fast; maybe the fastest rubber I've played with (incl. T64, S1T). Cuts very easily. 42g cut. Fantastic at flat-hitting with great sink. Med throw, somewhat long trajectory makes keeping over-the-table topspin flicks on table difficult. I'm not detecting the ball-still-spinning-in-the-robot-catch-net effect I get with super spinny rubbers but I'll reserve judgement until playing against live opponents at the club this Sunday. More to come..

EDIT: This for Stiga Calibra Tour M black max

Edited by nathanso - 07/06/2013 at 11:25am
BBC, SP, LP
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:31pm
I just put Tour s with 1,9mm sponge to my bh. Before I used Boost tc with 2 mm sponge. Tour s is softer than Boost tc and it has great sound and touch. Tour s a little bit slower than tc but plays quite similary in many ways (throw, not sensitive to incoming spin). With Tour s it´s really easy to loop, block and punch block. Especially blocking with Tour s is really easy.  The major downside is that it´s really hard to drive hard drives with it. My game is fh orientaded so Tour s suits my bh game quite well. So if you like just to block and loop with you bh without intention to end the rally with your bh, this is good rubber for you. If you like powerloop or drive with you bh (or fh) you should look something else. I would put this rubber in allround  class.

Cheers,
Tommi  
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:02pm
even still tour m feels fairly soft id say its still softer than 64.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 6:50am
peter, tour m is a bit harder but its not as soft as tour S
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 5:53am
Yogi, Which one is closer to Tenergy 64 hardness, the Tour M or H? Thanks Tongue
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 5:14am

Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

grab the TM..safer choice really
Thank you.. maybe i'll give the max TM a try.. to aviod bottom out.

im going to have mine on friday
yea. mine should come next week. hope its not too heavy a rubber..
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 10:54pm

im going to have mine on friday

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 8:08pm
haven't tried that rubber yet so i can't say if they are similar

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 2:48pm
From yogi_bear's excellent images Calibra Tour's topsheet looks very similar to Sanwei A+ Non-Tacky's topsheet. I liked that rubber a lot except for the very low throw angle.

Edited by nathanso - 06/24/2013 at 2:51pm
BBC, SP, LP
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 4:17am

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 11:40pm
I have Tour M max black on order from PaddlePalace.com. Will report here within a week comparing to rubbers like S1T and BW2.
BBC, SP, LP
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 5:12pm

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 1:44pm
I actually thinking og getting the TourS to try but many cmments too soft.. i actually like soft rubbers..
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 1:15pm
depends on how you hit and whether u block heavy topspins. it may bottom out...also im not sure what thikness i was using :O 

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 12:28pm

thank for reply yogi and decoi.. for cpen bh rubber, do you think 1.7 thickness tour M is ok?
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2013 at 12:27pm
thank for reply yogi and decoi.. for cpen nh rubber, do you think 1.7 thickness tour M is ok?
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2013 at 8:33pm
for me probably the Tour M.

what i mean by those comments is that Bluefire doesnt feel like it gives back a lot of feedback, where as the TM does
in terms if speed for me TM is faster than M2 but TM hold the ball for longer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic