Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Infinity V Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Infinity V Blade Review
    Posted: 05/31/2013 at 6:50am
Stiga Infinity V

weight: 85 grams
Thickness: 5.8mm
Plies 5: Limba-spruce-ayous-spruce-limba
Speed: off-

Some people asked for an affordable but good quality Stiga blade. Well, Stiga has recently released its new Infinity V blade. Priced at about 55 euros, this blade is much affordable compared to rosewoods and other higher priced Stiga blades. The blade is very balanced and doesn't feel head heavy at first when I glued the Calibra Tour H and M on it. 

One thing about the blade surface is that it has the absence of the NCT coating present among NCT blades. you can still feel some sort of thin layer of coating but it is very minimal and i suggest people should varnish it thinly to prevent splintering. The very smooth but not slippery finish surprised me. The blade surface was nicely finished and how i wish stiga did this to their handle also in order for the whole blade to have a smooth finishing touch that will not compel players from sanding the handle. Also the wing part at the neck of the blade needed some sanding but it was never really an effort for me since i'm already used to Stiga blades.

The Infinity V has some flex on it. It is considered thin at 5.8mm. It has a medium hardness or stiffness. When I first bounced the ball on it without rubbers, it produced a medium pitched "Tok" sound.

The 5 ply-composition is really evident when you first check the layers of wood used by Stiga. The blade is composed of 2 thinner outer plies and the center is a thick ayous or abachi ply.

Anyways, IMO, Stiga designed this blade for pairing with very fast rubbers like their new tour H rubber. This blade is more on control. I would rate this as slower than a clipper wood or rosewood 5 as the amount of speed i have gotten was significantly less than the 2 mentioned above. It is a very linear kind of blade. Slow and controllable if you want it to and has enough speed if you increase your power. It is very predictable and easy to use and I will not be surprised even players that are intermediate in level can easily use this blade because of its control.

Looping however is better because of its flex and its medium stiffness. Even with a very fast rubber like that of the Calibra Tour H, I could still easily loop the ball without the blade forcing the ball to bounce from the blade before i can sink the ball into the sponge. When combined with the Tour H, i can loop high arced spinny loops with ease. I was also curious what if I use a chinese rubber on it. Good thing I had my globe 999 national blue sponge and was glad to glue it to the infinity v. I think it is common knowledge that Stiga has been producing blades for the CNT and for sure a lot of chinese players have been using stiga blades because of its very good pairing with the blade. This one is no exception. The combination of both the chinese rubber and the blade is very good to use and I would deeply suggest to use a chinese rubber on this in your forehand. It loops beautifull and the ease to spin incoming underspin balls is really amazing. The one that i used was a boosted 38 degree blue sponge. 

Blocking and short games inside the table are the other 2 strengths of this blade. Blocking is very stable close to the table and receiving serves liek drop shots or short push chops are easy to execute. 

Some will find this blade needing a little more speed but it can be solved by just pairing a faster rubber. This will also maintain its high level of control on your attacks. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

chandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 7:11am
nice pics...wait for the review.do you know the composition?

Edited by chandro - 05/31/2013 at 7:12am
takacslaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takacslaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 8:23am
I think, this is limba/burned spruce/abachi/burned spruce/limba :)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 9:19am
the center ply looks like ayous, i think abachi is ayous right? or others call it obachi?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 9:50am
How is the top ply ? Do you think it splinters and needs lacquering ? 
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
chandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 9:52am
i think ayous and ambachi are similar woods.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 10:36am
it needs a thin layer of laquer in my opinion because it doesnt have an nct coating

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 8:54pm
updated with review

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 3:16am
is the center ply soft can you easily compress/dent it like balsa?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 5:50am
what about the headsize?
My feedback:

http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47297&title=mg-feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 6:01am
decoi, no the core is not as soft as balsa. balsa is way too soft.

mg, its compact in its headsize. smaller than butterfly blades. about 149-150x154mm

mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 6:17am
thanks Smile
My feedback:

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 6:29am
How does it compare to the ACC in terms of flex, hardness and speed. Thanks, 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 9:33am
i find the ACC not so fast, i can even say its off- even if its carbon. the ACC is stiffer due to the nct coating. I think both have almost the same speed but the Infinity V has more flex

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

mg, its compact in its headsize. smaller than butterfly blades. about 149x150-151mm

Oh, you just saved me hundred bucks! What do you drink? Beer
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 10:06am
plamen, got coke? hehehe

chandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 4:04pm
is it harder than clipper??
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 7:27pm
nope, clipper is a tad harder 

mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 10:03am

I had the opportunity to check the headsize of a VPS V and it was 150/155 mm...still smaller than a Butterfly and unusual for Stiga, but sounds a lot better than 149/150...

My feedback:

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 10:14am
sorry mg supposedly its 149-150 x 154 for my measurement, i used a tape measure for this

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 10:15am
thanks for the correction, if its 149x150 it would almost look like a circular blade head hehehe

mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 11:22am
it's OK, I just thought that it doesn't look so perfectly round and it wouldn't make sence to be so small. The blade looks and feels great in your hand (I've tested the Master and the Legend grip) and it has a trendy yellow box, a bit like the old boxes that Butterfly used in Europe some years ago.

Edited by mg - 06/05/2013 at 11:23am
My feedback:

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 11:29am
Yogi, if you are correct about the blade composition that would make the blade XIOM Aria. 

I would rather take an Aria. Cheaper, way better looking, and looks better built. 

Aria is quite slow though.. it's like Primorac.. OFF- at best.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 8:45pm
yes but the surface of the infinity v isa bit stiffer making it a lil bit faster than the primorac off-. the handle of the aria is much smoother though and very nice to hold.

mg, don't you think it would be better if stiga can make the surface of the infinity that smooth, they can also do it to the rest of the parts of the blade? a smooth stiga blade would be a dream come true. honestly in terms of finish, the roughness of the handle is one of the major reasons why people wanted more out of stiga blades

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 12:36am
Yogi, if you are going to review blades you need proper measuring equipment!, not a tape, this isn't biggest loser :p. For example I know that I would never play with a 151mm head size, or 155 for that matter. But no one would seriously buy a blade with 151, SOME may buy one with 155. The first things I checked in this thread were headsize and thickness, which no matter what a blade are made from are the most important things in a blade. 151 and 5.8 didn't sound like a blade I wanted to read about so continued on my way without reading the review. At 155x5.8 it was worth reading but not buying (for me). I guess Imago also wouldn't use a blade under about 158 at 5.8mm thickness
LoopsALot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopsALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 3:25pm
If possible photogrphic evidence of measurements would be nice too. Weights and dimensions. Thickness is especially important because it is hard to tell the difference of .1 millimeters. So a pic with a caliper is best.
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2013 at 4:49pm
How does it compare to rosewood v and the yeo , is it lower or higher throw, using calibra tour m , with is the best with this rubbers? Intensity , clipper , oc , tbs, rwv .... .
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2013 at 8:24pm
its slower and less stiffer. the coating on its blade surface is not as think and stiff as the rosewood. also its outer layers are limba. it had a high throw with the tour m and h. chinese rubbers work great in the fh for the intensity

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2013 at 2:14am
I like the looks of this blade. Then I like the weight too. The flared handle looks similar to master. Does it come in ST ?  I like the price. I know it's not the same, but the 5 wood plies remind me of the YEO.  Am I right to assume this blade is a tad slower than YEO ?   

Edited by Snakefish - 06/16/2013 at 2:16am
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2013 at 8:01pm
it is a master flared version. the yeo is faster, i think the intensity nct is the equivalent of the yeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic