Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Innerforce ALC vs ZLC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Innerforce ALC vs ZLC
    Posted: 05/31/2013 at 12:02pm
I have two IF from tt-japan, ST handles both, 88-89 gr. 

I have been playing with the IF ALC for a while and I liked it but it was kind of dead compared to my Korbel but a lot more stable and perhaps a touch faster. If you step away from the table ALC becomes superior blade immediately, much better control of long fly path.

But the ZLC is more expensive and I head it plays more NATURAL than the ALC, so i ordered one and got it last week. Only 3 sessions so far, but already rather disappointed! 

First of all, in no way can one describe the ZLC as more 'natural' or 'woody' or even soft! The feeling of the ALC is predominantly carbon, if you ever had a quality carbon fishing rod, the action and the feedback is very similar. With ZLC the predominant feeling to me is not carbon, but METAL. It has a pronounced metal feeling to me. I am not used to such a feeling at all. Even though ZLC appears to be a touch flexier than the ALC, looping is not easier. The throw appears slightly lower but not by much. But over all the ALC has more natural feel and better control. May be it's because i've been playing with the ALC for a while and im not used to the ZLC yet. 

But I see a lot of IF ZLC in the FS section and I can see why. That blade can surprise you with feel. Like a thin sheet of metal is between the wood plies. ALC may be harder or softer than what you think, but as far as feel you wont be surprised.

Curious to hear from other owners of IF ZLC!
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 12:45pm
In some way you are right. The alc feels more crisp and more to what it is supposed to be as tbs alc.
But the inn zlc and zlf even with that metal feel play very well with lower arc.
The inn zlc and zlf give sharp behaviour to the ball but at the same time require wrist effort to play them.

Edited by ejmaster - 05/31/2013 at 12:49pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 12:47pm
I am not an owner and I play with TB ALC/TBS and I tried IN ZLC once. It came across as pingy and very flexy. To me the throw was higher with same rubbers but the vibration was too much to take. I wouldnt call it metallic though. I also don't think its a bad blade at all. In fact I felt that people who like pingy/flexy blades would love it for its dwell.

For me, I like stiff soft blades like ALC so TB ALC is my poison but I actually do plan to move to IF ZLC or ZJK SZLC sometime once I get my looping technique down.
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 12:58pm
I used to have a i-zlc, felt very woody to me, decent throw and flex. I did not like it at all and sold it right away. If you like blades with a woody feel but has a composite layer buried 2 layers down, this may be for you and im guessing it may take some serious arm speed to get the zlc layers to work IMO
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 2:10pm
I have an IF ZLC, 83 g. It is not that fast, or that powerful to me. It plays OK but like I said in another thread, IF ZLC is not worth its price.

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Rahul_TT Rahul_TT wrote:

I am not an owner and I play with TB ALC/TBS and I tried IN ZLC once. It came across as pingy and very flexy. To me the throw was higher with same rubbers but the vibration was too much to take. I wouldnt call it metallic though. I also don't think its a bad blade at all. In fact I felt that people who like pingy/flexy blades would love it for its dwell.

For me, I like stiff soft blades like ALC so TB ALC is my poison but I actually do plan to move to IF ZLC or ZJK SZLC sometime once I get my looping technique down.

actually pingy is a good description. You feel exactly the moment when the ball reached maximum penetration. It feels like bottoming out even without bottoming out. Ever Sounds like bottoming! But I used hard rubbers and there was no unusual dropping of the ball so Im sure there is no bottoming. Control is still pretty good, better than any 5 ply wood blade, and it does flex. Dwell time is ok but not as good or pleasant as the ALC. I don't know, I always thought that ALC is harder, but it's not. It is stiffer but not harder. 

I will give it a few more weeks and then... look for a ST handle IF ZLC in the FS section..
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2013 at 3:06pm
I am playing the IF ZLC now for about a month and have hit with an IF ALC for a good bit.  

I personally like the fact that the ZLC is woody and dwelly.  Given these characteristics, I am surprised how well I am able to place the ball on my loops.  My experience with it off the table is entirely opposite of yours as I find that the ZLC has an extra gear for finishing rallies while the ALC feels a touch hollow (that must be the "true carbon" that you describe).  To me it seems to have a very penetrating trajectory.  

My only issue with the ZLC to date is in serving but that may still be due to the larger head size and having played Thor's for a while and using T80 now.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

TopSpinNinja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopSpinNinja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2013 at 5:05pm
Do you know the dimensions of the INN ZLC ?
Is it 160*150
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by TopSpinNinja TopSpinNinja wrote:

Do you know the dimensions of the INN ZLC ?
Is it 160*150

are you sure??? i believe all the IF series are 158 x 151
RSM Special Platinum T64
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 10:00pm
I have not measured, but it's BIG.  I'd say at least 160 x 152.  All my used sheets of rubber come up short.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 10:38pm
158x152
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 9:52am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

First of all, in no way can one describe the ZLC as more 'natural' or 'woody' or even soft!

+1

Like you wrote, it takes time to transition from an ALC to a ZLC blade.  The IF ZLC to me is a very unique blade.  It doesn't feel fast or bouncy when using slow or medium-paced shots.  But when you start using medium-hard to hard shots, the zylon carbon kicks in and provides some extra catapult action.  To me, it's a Korbel (for short game) and something fast like a Schlager Carbon combined.  This dual duty can throw off some players and it's not for everybody.

I have not found a Tensor rubber that I like with IF ZLC with the exception of Joola X-plode.  It's because of the kick during harder shots.  The kick of the zylon carbon plus the Tensor rubber is too much for me.  Not sure what rubbers you used but if you used a Tensor, this might be the "metal" feel you're talking about.  What I've liked with IF ZLC are the Chinese brand Euro/JPN rubbers ex. LKT Red Diamond, IQUL.  I would guess that something like Yin-he Moon or Tuttle Beijing 4 would probably work nicely.  The blade gives extra force for these non-Tensor non-Spring Sponge rubbers during harder loops while maintaining their slowness for the short game.

Hope that helps.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 11:50am
I still go with a woody feel when compared to something with a harder outer ply.  

I'm going to try SpinArt tonight and TG3 on mine soon and will report back.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 11:58am
"Like you wrote, it takes time to transition from an ALC to a ZLC blade.  The IF ZLC to me is a very unique blade.  It doesn't feel fast or bouncy when using slow or medium-paced shots.  But when you start using medium-hard to hard shots, the zylon carbon kicks in and provides some extra catapult action.  To me, it's a Korbel (for short game) and something fast like a Schlager Carbon combined.  This dual duty can throw off some players and it's not for everybody."

I totally agree with this assessment.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 12:04pm
I don't know what to say now. I don't like the feel of the blade but at my second session with it I played the match of my life. After I lost 3:1 to a 2050 player and contesting every single game I played a 2170 and went up 2:1 before finally losing 2:3. Was up in game 5 too but he started using tricky serves and everything else he had. People were secretly watching the outcome of my match because if I won that would be huge for me.

Regardless of my loss that was my best match ever. Everything. Went. In. Everything that I tried. I don't understand why, but despite me not being used to the feel of the contact with the ball, the actual trajectory of the ball is exactly what I expect it. BH loop away from the table? It just goes in! My god, i hope that was not a fluke. If I keep this kind of game I don't care about the unpleasant feel of the blade. And I will have to change my statements about the disapointment. 

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 12:14pm
Although you prefer the feel of all-wood blade(s) you are going to stick with composite one? What's the point?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 2:07pm

I don't know what to say now. I don't like the feel of the blade but at my second session with it I played the match of my life. After I lost 3:1 to a 2050 player and contesting every single game I played a 2170 and went up 2:1 before finally losing 2:3. Was up in game 5 too but he started using tricky serves and everything else he had. People were secretly watching the outcome of my match because if I won that would be huge for me.

Regardless of my loss that was my best match ever. Everything. Went. In. Everything that I tried. I don't understand why, but despite me not being used to the feel of the contact with the ball, the actual trajectory of the ball is exactly what I expect it. BH loop away from the table? It just goes in! My god, i hope that was not a fluke. If I keep this kind of game I don't care about the unpleasant feel of the blade. And I will have to change my statements about the disapointment. 

I'm definitely at a lower level, but I have had the same experience using it with T80.  EVERYTHING goes in.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

LoopsALot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopsALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 2:51pm
I've won against a 2100 with a YEO and thought it was the silver bullet. When I lost to a 1400 I burned the blade.
729 6030L $18
DHS TG3 NEO $17
Gambler Outlaw $14
USATT 1640
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Although you prefer the feel of all-wood blade(s) you are going to stick with composite one? What's the point?

The blade that is 100% perfect for my touch and feel preferences is Korbel. But sometimes I feel frustrated after I make 4 quality loops in a row and they all come back. So I want to force myself to get used to something with more firepower. I've disliked pretty much every composite blade I've tried, at least when compared to a Korbel. Never had good results with them either, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from one session. Had a good day before, only to get completely frustrated on the next session.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 5:57pm

Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

The blade that is 100% perfect for my touch and feel preferences is Korbel. But sometimes I feel frustrated after I make 4 quality loops in a row and they all come back. So I want to force myself to get used to something with more firepower. I've disliked pretty much every composite blade I've tried, at least when compared to a Korbel. Never had good results with them either, and I don't want to jump to conclusions from one session. Had a good day before, only to get completely frustrated on the next session.

That is your real problem, not the blade.  You can only expect the ball not to come back if you set up the opponent properly, not if you hit the ball hard - your level is weak if you are still trying to win predominantly with power.  To quote a late great player, "it is not about how hard you hit the ball, but where you hit the ball."
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

I'm definitely at a lower level, but I have had the same experience using it with T80.  EVERYTHING goes in.  

If you changed from one type of rubber to a different type, it really means that your stroke has improved to take advantage of the properties of the rubber.  I say this because if you go back to the rubber that you used previously for a day, you will be able to do 95% of the same stuff with it if you replicate whatever you are doing with the new rubber and you will realize that while you were driven to learn it by the new rubber, what you have learned can be done with any rubber.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 2:19pm
Playing tomorrow. Cant wait. Yesterday I was hitting against my return boards and again I got filled with dissatisfaction from the ZLC. Feels bad, bad, bad compared to the ALC. I actually feel less dwell, less control and more ping and vibration. Just the most unpleasant blade that I have touched in a long time. I had better post some great results again tomorrow, because playing with it is really not enjoyable for me. The feeling is definitely not woody. I have owned more than 10 limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba blades, wood and carbon, and never have I felt the artificial material inside to be so intrusive and hijacking the limba feel.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 5:03pm

Playing tomorrow. Cant wait. Yesterday I was hitting against my return boards and again I got filled with dissatisfaction from the ZLC. Feels bad, bad, bad compared to the ALC. I actually feel less dwell, less control and more ping and vibration. Just the most unpleasant blade that I have touched in a long time. I had better post some great results again tomorrow, because playing with it is really not enjoyable for me. The feeling is definitely not woody. I have owned more than 10 limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba blades, wood and carbon, and never have I felt the artificial material inside to be so intrusive and hijacking the limba feel.

Are you feeling dead on the blade?
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 5:55pm
Not exactly dead. More like there is a thin, elastic sheet of metal in the middle. It is elastic and flexes but the usual wood feedback is completely lacking. Very different feel.

Do not confuse my displeasure with performance of the blade. It is fast and flexy, with excellent control. Just feels weird to me.
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by LoopsALot LoopsALot wrote:

I've won against a 2100 with a YEO and thought it was the silver bullet. When I lost to a 1400 I burned the blade.

rofl! Well done Thumbs Up
Viscaria
T05/T64
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 10:14am
Another fantastic performance last night! Lost to a 2000 and a 2300 with plenty of nice points and beat a few that were rated lower than me. But there is one dude who has been 1780 for the longest time and I rarely snatch a match from him. He has some old nittaku rubbers and does these weird punch blocks that come back as flat knuckle balls that is extremely unpleasant to a looper like me. Last night I beat very calmly, with no drama. Then he went around and came for a rematch and lost again. The second loss was embarassing because it was 3:0 and he barely got a few points per game. Funny thing is I was a little tired and took my foot off the gas a little and wasnt swinging to kill a cow, like I usually do. Just slow controlled loops that he had no trouble returning, but instead of me trying to smack and kill like a normally do, I would just loop slow again. And again. And just wait for him to miss one. It was so easy, like I played a 1500. He felt completely frustratrated and helpless. He really hates losing to me. He said upon leaving the club (early) that this is his worst night since he plays TT.

So that settles it for me. It is my main blade now and I will try to get used to this weird weird metal feeling.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 11:05am

Another fantastic performance last night! Lost to a 2000 and a 2300 with plenty of nice points and beat a few that were rated lower than me. But there is one dude who has been 1780 for the longest time and I rarely snatch a match from him. He has some old nittaku rubbers and does these weird punch blocks that come back as flat knuckle balls that is extremely unpleasant to a looper like me. Last night I beat very calmly, with no drama. Then he went around and came for a rematch and lost again. The second loss was embarassing because it was 3:0 and he barely got a few points per game. Funny thing is I was a little tired and took my foot off the gas a little and wasnt swinging to kill a cow, like I usually do. Just slow controlled loops that he had no trouble returning, but instead of me trying to smack and kill like a normally do, I would just loop slow again. And again. And just wait for him to miss one. It was so easy, like I played a 1500. He felt completely frustratrated and helpless. He really hates losing to me. He said upon leaving the club (early) that this is his worst night since he plays TT.

So that settles it for me. It is my main blade now and I will try to get used to this weird weird metal feeling.
What rubber do you have on IF ZLC? Thanks.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 11:34am
I tried T80 and Evo MXP on FH, both with 2 thin layers of tuning. The throw was kinda low because of the tuner. Those rubbers will make a great match for the blade if not tuned.
I had a new Rhyzm and put it in with no tuning. Feels weird but everything frikking goes in. Makes me look better than I am. Feels like vibration, but not the wood vibration I am used to, that is crisp. This is metalic feedback or vibration. Whatever you wana call it, there is some ping that drives me crazy.

On the BH I have T05 with 2 layers of tuning. Very pleasant contact, good sponge penetration and perfect throw. Opening loops are amazing. Ping not as apparent as when u do FH to FH. I think the tenergy has longer dwell and kind of kills the feedback.

Overall I do not recommend tunning rubbers for this blade. My rubbers were tuned already and I reused them. But the throw is low and with tuning it becomes hard to lift. 
Rahul_TT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahul_TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 11:43am
assiduous - you have inspired me enough to post a LF: IF ZLC in this forum lol!
Nah, seriouesly, I think my TB ALC is too stiff and I am looking for some vibration so here I go.

Have you tried DHS PG7? Can you compare the IF ZLC to it?
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2013 at 11:55am
No experience with PG7 but played  with TBS and TB ALC. Your opening loop will improve with the ZLC for sure. I just hope the feel does not bother you like me. You will have a lot more feedback compared to TB ALC, which is almost completely inert. 

Go for a ST handle from tt-japan! Incredible feel holding the handle. This along may account for my better game. I always had problem switching grip in the middle of the point. For the opening loop I hold with BH oriented grip, and later switch. With this handle I can kind of hold in the middle and have a constant grip now i can see the difference in my linking of the FH to BH and BH to FH. It is so much smoother.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic