FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best TT Robot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best TT Robot
    Posted: 07/10/2013 at 3:48pm
Hello everyone. I currently have an older Newgy robot, but was thinking of buying a new robot that has more features available. I'd like to be able to program some drills, and want to get a robot that is a little more advanced with options of changing the spin on the ball, etc. I know the Paddlepalace robots and Butterfly robot available on butterflyonline.com are both pretty advanced but don't know anyone that has used either of them. Any reviews out there?
Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:20pm
Best programming - Y&T 989H.  This is based on the touch-screen controller, which is just the best on the market for programming drills.

Best ball delivery - Butterfly Amicus 3000+.  Natural flight to the ball, especially on loops.

Rich215 could help with a more rounded comparison than me.  I know he rates the Newstar highly.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:29pm
best ball delivery , Amicus ?????    this is the worst robot by far !!!!    i  bought one for my club . i put the robot in the garbage !
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by jeannn jeannn wrote:

best ball delivery , Amicus ?????    this is the worst robot by far !!!!    i  bought one for my club . i put the robot in the garbage !

Wow - strong words.  And an expensive item to put in the garbage.  Maybe I should wait outside and see what else you will throw away?  :-)

Anyway, are we talking about the same Amicus?  The 3000+?  And what did you think was bad about it?
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:38pm
I've used an Amicus robot a couple times and I thought the trajectory was very natural compared to other robots; once you know how to use it, you can pretty much set up any drill you want
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:04pm
yes the same Amicus . The BIG problem with this robot , side spin on every balls !
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:05pm
what about the H2W Pro for $1800 at PaddlePalace? Anyone have any review for this one?
Andy...where can you buy the Y&T 989H robot and how much does it sell for? Thks
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:08pm
AcudaDave   i will buy this robot for my club . the H2W Pro
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:08pm

yes the same Amicus . The BIG problem with this robot , side spin on every balls !

Mine did this a bit, but only initially.  After a while, the deflector head was worn-in, and it's no longer noticeable.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

what about the H2W Pro for $1800 at PaddlePalace? Anyone have any review for this one?

I got mine from Far East Sports:

Out of stock now, unfortunately.

Happily - the H2W Pro is just a rebadged 989H, so who cares!

Great robot.  Ball delivery has a low arc though, and it can be tricky to get short, high-spin backspin balls.  These two reasons led me to swap mine for the Amicus.  My club now has the 989H.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:16pm

A big thumbs up for the H2W pro. I highly recommend it. Ease of use and overall quality is great.
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:54pm
It sounds like you are willing to invest a good amount in a robot, but budget is a concern for many in determining best choice. Physical location can also be a factor in the price you pay.

I wanted to buy a robot and had a smaller budget than you seem to have. After doing research on the various choices within my affordability range I settled on 3 models I would be happy to buy. I then compared prices on the different table tennis supplier sites. Once I found the best price available for each model, I then went on ebay and found the same models. In contacting the robot suppliers on ebay I connected with the USA representative for one of the Chinese manufacturers. He was willing to negotiate a price below any web site price I could find. He happened to be local to me so I was able to also save shipping cost.

For a low budget I think the Oukei S9 is a nice choice, and there is a thread on this site with a great review of that machine.

For a bigger budget I agree with the poster above who recommended the Y & T 989H.

For unlimited budget it seems the Newstars might be the current ultimate.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 2:19am
So far I am very happy with Oukei S9. As a matter of fact, it's an advanced upgrade to Amicus 3000 - with much better and realistic shots. One thing though is for sure - never buy one-wheel robot, no matter how sophisticated.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 1:01pm
I clicked the link to the Y&T model and it does look like the Paddlepalace robot is a rebadged Y&T model. Now my question is which is better between the Amicus model and the Paddlepalace H2W model? Has anyone used both? BTW...am moving into a new house next Friday that has a huge basement! For the past 7 years have had to setup the table in the garage and although it was better than nothing, it was not very practical. When we searched for a new house the most important feature was it had to had a large basement where I could setup a table. This house has a 1700 sq. ft. basement, with hardwood flooring and 9 ft ceilings! Yea! So already ordered a new Joola table, and now just need to get a new robot. I'll include some pics of the basement after we move in next Friday.
Thanks
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 1:15pm
I have an H2W Touch Pro from Paddlepalace. It works great and I love it. I highly recommend it.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 3:22pm

I clicked the link to the Y&T model and it does look like the Paddlepalace robot is a rebadged Y&T model. Now my question is which is better between the Amicus model and the Paddlepalace H2W model? Has anyone used both?

Yup - a lot of companies have rebadged the Y&T 989 range over the years.  They just slap their own branding on.

I've had both at the same time, and decided to keep the Amicus, and sold the 989H to my club.  So I still get to use both I suppose.

The Y&T has incredible programming and flexibility.  The touch screen is just amazing.  It could be slightly better at storing custom drills, but that's nit picking.  Also, it has a fully motorised, two wheel head.  So you can do top, bottom, side spin, all at different positions, and different speeds, in the same drill.  The net is fast to put up and down, and the whole unit is simple to move around (if that matters to you).  Downsides - low ball "arc" means most deliveries are tight, skiddy ones.  You can't program a slow, high-spin, high arc loop, for example.  Also, it's very difficult to program a high spin short delivery.  To get around these two limitations, you can raise the wheels of the base unit up, which tilts the head at an angle.  But that means you're faffing around a lot, trying to find a good angle.  It's a real shame, because it's an incredible machine otherwise.  You can definitely live with this, but still worth mentioning.

The Amicus 3000+ has a massive control panel with a lot of physical buttons, knobs, and slidey things.  It has some additional features (like a random function, auto-pause after backspin deliveries, etc), but the programming is more limited than the Y&T (due to the limitations of having a physical interface, rather than the GUI of the 989H's touchscreen).  The net is bigger, and works slightly better when recycling balls, but is trickier to put up and down each time you set it up.  You can only have top and/or backspin in the same programming sequence (the 989H can have sidespin too, due to the motorised head).  You can rotate the head manually for sidespin, but then you can only have left and/or right sidespin in a sequence, with no top/backspin.  The ball delivery is better (IMO) than the 989H, which sold it to me.  The head has a deflector panel in, which means you can vary spin more independently of position.  This makes it easy to have short backspin balls, and high-arc loop balls.  This is a very different approach to the 989H's "two wheel and out" way of working.  But (as jeannn has mentioned), this results in two things.  First up, you have a bit of sidespin on most balls.  This effect seems to reduce with some robot use - I think the deflector head wears in a bit after a few months.  Secondly, the ball placement isn't 100% accurate.  The 989H is really accurate - the balls land in a 5cm square patch around your programmed target location.  The Amicus just isn't that accurate.  For me, the Amicus' variability is actually a good thing.  You have to watch the ball and adjust your shot more than the 989H, which is too robotic (no pun intended) for me.  This is a very personal thing, obviously.  It can be annoying to program a long topspin ball on the Amicus and have every 5th ball overshoot the table.

They're both great, and you'd be happy with either.  If Butterfly brought out an Amicus with a touchscreen panel, I'd buy it immediately.  Until then, it comes down to personal preference.  IMO it's a choice between better programming, or more natural (and variable) ball delivery.

ps - I've tried the Palio 40mm polyball in both, and both seem fine with the slight increase in size.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Mine did this a bit, but only initially.  After a while, the deflector head was worn-in, and it's no longer noticeable.

LOL. Jeann must be kicking himself/herself now for throwing a perfectly good robot in the garbage when all it needed was a little break in.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 4:49pm
wow...thanks so much Andy for your review of both. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either. I do like the idea of a touch screen for programming, but I like the more variability of the Amicus. I also think the Amicus has a 2-year warranty compared to a 1 year warranty for the PaddlePalace robot. Are both very durable?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 6:41pm

wow...thanks so much Andy for your review of both. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either. I do like the idea of a touch screen for programming, but I like the more variability of the Amicus. I also think the Amicus has a 2-year warranty compared to a 1 year warranty for the PaddlePalace robot. Are both very durable?

Yeah, good question.

The Amicus is an old design, so everything is pretty chunky, basic and robust.  I've had no mechanical problems at all.  I've replaced the foam wheels once (they wear out over time), but they were very cheap and easy to switch out.  The control box has very short leads (too short to reach to the playing end of the table), so you can either buy the extension kit from BTY (crazy expensive) or buy some extension cables yourself.  You would need two leads - one parallel and one serial.  The serial one is the problem - it's an old 15 pin serial port, like old PCs used to have for joystick ports, before you crazy kids were spoilt with easy USB ports.  It's difficult to find extension cables for 15 pin serial these days.

The 989H had a problem when it first arrived.  When set to throw a dead ball (top and bottom wheels same speed), it came out with a fair bit of topspin.  After discussion with Y&T, it turned out that the bottom wheel motor was underpowered.  So they sent two new motors in the post to me, free of charge.  Replacing a motor required some very basic soldering skills, but was simple overall.  Not sure how widespread this problem is, and no idea why the robots aren't checked when they leave the factory, but hats off to Y&T for customer support regardless.  After switching the motor out, it worked perfectly.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 11:50pm
The best TT robot hasn't been built yet.

I thought I saw a TT robot with 3 throw wheels 120 degrees apart.  That would be a good start.  Next the throw wheels should be able to go forwards AND reverse so slow spinny top spins and back spins are possible and one can change the spin on-the-fly from top spin, back spin and side spin.

The throw head should not only be able to angle side to side but move side to side so balls can be thrown from either corner.  The robot should be able to detect when the previous balls has been returned so it can throw the next ball in a realistic way.  I don't like it when my Newgy throws a ball before the one I hit has landed in its net.  I know I can adjust the intervals between balls but it is would be much more realistic if there were some smarts to automatically throw a ball after my return has gone into the net.

Yes, it would cost a bit but it would make a good demo at a trade show.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 1:46am
Amicus Pro is a 3-wheel robot but it has unrealistic ball delivery and very limited programming capability. Apart from that, its electronic part defected (self-combustion) after two weeks. Smart Pong has one wheel only. Double Snake 5 has two wheels and better programming. Newstar 2080 C can do everything - but I am interested in 2080 D, probably it will serve icecream also Wink

The shortcomings of 2700 S9:
1. Cannot automatically change sidespin.
2. Cannot program separate arc for separate shots in a sequence from one head. Arc can be adjusted only while shooting.
3. Very sensitive to wobbled and used balls, so more expensive in consumption - you have to provide new 3* balls every 50 hours.
4. Cannot serve less than 30 bpm, but you can program it to serve once with head A, then 5 times with head B into the net, thus creating time for a realistic (you) serve and (robot) serve return practice.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 8:49am
I just checked Butterflyonline.com and they sell the Smartpong S200 robot. Is this the same as the Amicus robot, or is it a different one. It doesn't say if it has 2 wheels or not, but I'm guessing it must have as you can vary the spin.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 10:13am
it has 1 wheel but the head can automatically rotate so it can vary the spin but being 1-wheel means spin is still proportional to speed
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 11:08am
woa...only 1 wheel. Sounds like a deal breaker to me. Almost $2000 for that robot and it only has 1 wheel. Thanks for the info kickass.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 11:09am
BTW...are there any other top robots out there that no one has mentioned?
Thanks
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 11:32am
don't know much about robots having only used a robopong or a variant thereof, and then only having the ball oscillate left, right - not changing spin

any '989' model is basically the same robot - just re-packaged using different brand labels?

however, i used to hear a lot about 'ttmatic'

nobody seems to have mentioned that

:)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 11:47am

I just checked Butterflyonline.com and they sell the Smartpong S200 robot. Is this the same as the Amicus robot, or is it a different one. It doesn't say if it has 2 wheels or not, but I'm guessing it must have as you can vary the spin.

No, this is totally different to the Amicus 3000+.  This Smartpong reminds me of a rebadged Oukei one I saw ages ago on eBay, but I can't be 100% sure.

Anyway, this is the Amicus 3000+:

Notice that TeesSport also have a "Practice Partner" range of robots.  All rebadged Y&T 989 models from the past. 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 1:34pm
ttmatic are out of date and too expensive

DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 1:39pm
Sitco TT Robot RII-S is amaziing!
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 2:26pm
Now I'm seeing the Oukei robot at Megaspin and it looks like a good robot as well. Any thoughts on the Oukei TW-2700-S9 robot. It retails for $1600 at Megaspin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic