Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMaze vs Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
janekb View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janekb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMaze vs Viscaria
    Posted: 08/04/2013 at 4:47pm
Can I get some info on differences between MMaze alc and Viscaria  I know they both arylate carbon ,are they the same blades with different names or they play different .Thanks for all the replays.Regards to all TT players.
Janek B
Sponsored Links

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by janekb janekb wrote:

Can I get some info on differences between MMaze alc and Viscaria  I know they both arylate carbon ,are they the same blades with different names or they play different .Thanks for all the replays.Regards to all TT players.

One can get used to any of them in the case of liking the alc composite feeling.
The bh in the MM needs more dynamics. MM has limba outer and viscaria is koto.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2013 at 6:59pm
Definitely not the same blade.  Viscaria is faster, weight balance is quite different, as is handle shape.  Maze comes in straight version also.  I prefer Viscaria.  To me it just has a better feel, especially with newer blades.  But they are enough alike that one could easily switch from one to the other and quickly adjust.  As already mentioned, all the Btfly ALC blades have many features in common.  I still think Viscaria is the best of them.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2013 at 2:40pm
Personally what I prefer in Michael Maze is a bit more flex helping in opening loops. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
bumpernets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2013 at 4:32pm
I like the Michael Maze, but the demand is incredibly higher for the Viscaria.  I can't keep them in stock.  I just got 5 and now have 3 left.  If you need a Viscaria or Michael Maze, let me know.
janekb View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janekb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 8:37am
Any other opinions please,how's the blades balance with heavy tensors I don't like head heavy blades. Thanks to all.
Janek B
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:11pm
I don't have the impression that head is particularly heavier in one or the other, but the handles have quite different shapes, along with the shape of the wings.  Maze handle is much more square (even the flare) and I was not used to that, the edges almost felt sharp to me.  The Viscaria is quite round and has no discernible edges.  I think on average the Viscaria is faster, not a lot, but noticeable.  Viscaria only comes in flared, whereas Maze is sold in straight if you prefer that.  In general, I would not recommend buying a blade you have not tried, or at the very least least held in your hand.  I have had many Viscarias, only one Maze, which I did not give a very long trial before deciding that no, I would not switch.  No two blades are identical, though.

I do have a once-used Maze that I would be willing to sell.  I bought it after trying a very old one that a practice partner of mine has.  I have to say, the new one I received seemed to play quite differently (and quite a bit faster) than my friend's.  His has the old black badge and he has had it several years.  I have a Viscaria of that same vintage that is much slower than my new ones.  Maybe all Butterfly ALC composite blades slow with age or mabye they just make them faster now?  I am not sure which it is. 
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:24pm
Maze from my point of view is for a forehand oriented game, viscaria is balanced backhand forehand game, if your forehand is far better than your backhand go for the maze. Moreover the viscaria has much more feel than the maze. The forehand of the maze is one of the most deadly among all blades not just the viscaria.
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:30pm
IMHO, in terms of speed:

Maze > TBS > Viscaria.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

Maze from my point of view is for a forehand oriented game, viscaria is balanced backhand forehand game, if your forehand is far better than your backhand go for the maze. Moreover the viscaria
has much more feel than the maze. The forehand of the maze is one of the most deadly among all blades not just the viscaria.

Blades have forehands now not players? And this is not even a special blade with different speeds on forehand and backhand...

Like Baal said, go to a club, hit with both blades and get a feel for them before you buy. Note that this does not guarantee that what you buy will play exactly as you expect, but it is better than spending $100 on a blade and not liking it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
janekb View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janekb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:35pm
What kind of rubber goes well with Viscaria I mean sponge hardness soft medium or hard. For example I like Acuda s1or turbo will this rubber work with Viscaria since has harder outer ply. Thanks to all of you.
Janek B
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:39pm

What kind of rubber goes well with Viscaria I mean sponge hardness soft medium or hard. For example I like Acuda s1or turbo will this rubber work with Viscaria since has harder outer ply. Thanks to all of you.
Rubber is a personal choice. The juniors at my club who use Viscaria play with everything. Vega Japan, T80, T05, T05FX, Sigma 2 Pro, Calibra. I am sure Acuda will be great as well if you like the rubber.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:41pm

Xiom Omega IV Pro should balance it well, I think Tenergy is a bit too heavy if the blade is > 90 gms.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

IMHO, in terms of speed:

Maze > TBS > Viscaria.

Really??  That's your impression?  I'm not saying you're wrong but mine would be that TBS = Viscaria > Maze.  But my sample size for Maze is very small (1 blade), and it didn't seem like the difference was that great.

Any of these blades would be fine with any number of topspin oriented rubbers available these days.  There is just no single right answer to this.  The 2200ish guy I know who uses a Maze likes Evolution MXP, he has also used Rakza 7.  I like Tenergy on my Viscaria but MXP was very good too, Rakza seemed soft to me, but I would easily get used to it.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Rubber is a personal choice. The juniors at my club who use Viscaria play with everything. Vega Japan, T80, T05, T05FX, Sigma 2 Pro, Calibra. I am sure Acuda will be great as well if you like the rubber.

I know three 2500+ players very well who use Viscaria.  Two of them use T05.  Another uses some heavily boosted version of Hurricane (FH) and T64 (BH).  It is a pretty versatile blade, very  popular with lots of offensive players since it came out.  I figure try it with whatever rubber you are using now.   

Edited by Baal - 08/11/2013 at 1:01pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

IMHO, in terms of speed:

Maze > TBS > Viscaria.

Really??  That's your impression?  I'm not saying you're wrong but mine would be that TBS = Viscaria > Maze.  But my sample size for Maze is very small (1 blade), and it didn't seem like the difference was that great.

Any of these blades would be fine with any number of topspin oriented rubbers available these days.  There is just no single right answer to this.  The 2200ish guy I know who uses a Maze likes Evolution MXP, he has also used Rakza 7.  I like Tenergy on my Viscaria but MXP was very good too, Rakza seemed soft to me, but I would easily get used to it.

Yes. I find the outer ply of the Maze harder than the other two blades with the Viscaria having the softest. But the weights of the blades may be a factor.
Maze - 89gm, TBS - 86gm, Viscaria - 85 gms.
I used T05 on all three blades. I had 4 Maze, 10 TBS and 5 Viscaria blades. I no longer own any Maze blades.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 1:02pm
That explains it.  All my Viscarias are 89 g or more.  The one Maze I have is 90g.  I like heavier blades these days.  Viscaria does feel a bit softer to me, though.

Edited by Baal - 08/11/2013 at 1:04pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

That explains it.  All my Viscarias are 89 g or more.  The one Maze I have is 90g.  I like heavier blades these days.  Viscaria does feel a bit softer to me, though.

That's my feeling also. Ideally, I like my blades at 85 gms because I can use any rubbers on them.

Blade balance is important to me.

Edited by jt99sf - 08/11/2013 at 2:42pm

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 3:45pm
I haven't played with a Viscaria for long enough to have a view, but for me the TBS (or TB ALC) is noticeably harder than the Maze. That should be the case, shouldn't it? The TBS / TB ALC has a koto outer ply, and the Maze is limba. The Maze should feel softer, more dwelly.

Interestingly, I hit with the Maze for 4 hours this evening, and I had a great deal of trouble controlling my FH (with Rakza 7 Soft Max). It's the same rubber I've used for quite a long time on a TB ALC, and TB ZLF. The arc and bounce is much higher on the Maze: my FH kept missing the end of the table on loop-drives (to my practice partner's great surprise, and mine). This is because, I think, the Maze is soft enough that the R7Soft doesn't produce a flat enough trajectory for me - it almost does a loop the loop! After tonight, I am considering the dreaded T05 for my FH if I am to stick with the Maze, or perhaps Rakza 9.

Oh, and Rakza 7 Soft (2.0) on my BH on the Maze may be the best and most beautiful thing ever. I couldn't miss. 
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 4:25pm
Maze is bouncier than tbs and viscaria specially over the table , 2 meters away of the table it can beat any know blade even just carbon ones, it's forehand goes like a missile not like a bullet , it stretch high and go down surprisingly at the edge of the table with tons of spin, note that few blades I know has this amount of spin which such a high speed, no opponent catch or loop or block this montruous forehand.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 5:03pm

Maze is bouncier than tbs and viscaria specially over the table , 2 meters away of the table it can beat any know blade even just carbon ones, it's forehand goes like a missile not like a bullet , it stretch high and go down surprisingly at the edge of the table with tons of spin, note that few blades I know has this amount of spin which such a high speed, no opponent catch or loop or block this montruous forehand.

And that's the problem with the Maze, too much bounce. I always prefer control before speed.

proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 10:13pm

I have owned all 3 and using a maze now. I totally agree with you Big smile

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 10:32pm
I have played with both of them.  I like M. Maze better for backhand attack, and I like Viscaria better for forehand attack.  Why?  Well, it seems to me that M. Maze is slower and have better control which is good for backhand.  I like M. Maze a lot for backhand attack and block.  However, for forehand attack, M. Maze seems to lack of power.  Viscaria is much better for forehand loop.  It's all come down to personal preference.

If they still make Viscaria in ST handle, I would definitely use Viscaria ST.  Because I play backhand more than forehand,  so I prefer M. Maze ST over Viscaria FL.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 10:41pm
Well, I would say a typical maze is slow.... I owned quite a few. However my personal maze is more dense and is faster than any of the Viscaria, Timo Boll blades i have owned. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 12:07am
EJs never give up. Blades are no longer fast or slow. They now have forehands and backhands...
Cybershape Carbon
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 12:10am

EJs never give up. Blades are no longer fast or slow. They now have forehands and backhands...

LOLLOLLOL
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 2:05am

Easy go for both blades put same rubbers and drill, tell us your findings. That's what I did
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 2:29am

Maze from my point of view is for a forehand oriented game, viscaria is balanced backhand forehand game, if your forehand is far better than your backhand go for the maze. Moreover the viscaria
has much more feel than the maze. The forehand of the maze is one of the most deadly among all blades not just the viscaria.

Blades have forehands now not players? And this is not even a special blade with different speeds on forehand and backhand...

Like Baal said, go to a club, hit with both blades and get a feel for them before you buy. Note that this does not guarantee that what you buy will play exactly as you expect, but it is better than spending $100 on a blade and not liking it.

Viscaria is almost unanimously worshipped as the blade with perhaps the most versatile backhand yet highly demanding forehand among EJs and non-EJs alike in China.  OTOH, Stiga blades are widely praised for their forehand prowess and feel.  Posts often pop up daily telling how bad or great it feels on either the forehand or backhand side whenever a person switches from one to the other brand.  Much of it could well be due to the influence of Zhang Jike and Wang Liqin and I used to shrug it off.  However, having spent considerable time with the Viscaria(so far 1.5 yrs) and Offensive Wood NCT(short of 3 yrs) with similar rubbers, I can sort of apprehend.  Part of that may have to do with the diverse impact locations on the blade face between forehand and backhand strokes.  The marks on my H3 and Hexer HD are far from reversed along the long axis.  They scatter over concentrated regions, which are known to exhibit different COR values.  When these locations are struck, various modes of vibration are excited at different amplitudes depending on the setup, grip, form etc., where the corresponding mode shapes are transferred to the hand.  In the event one's forehand or backhand stroke happens to hit the region that matches his game, the player could be under the impression that blade is more suited for that particular side.

Edited by zeio - 08/12/2013 at 2:30am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 8:26am

Easy go for both blades put same rubbers and drill, tell us your findings. That's what I did

Hey, it assumes a lot about my forehand and your forehand.  It's one thing to say that you loved it on your forehand, but it's another thing to say the blade has a great forehand.  But maybe I should just read one as meaning the same thing as the other as opposed to being so EJ sensitive.Wink

Edited by NextLevel - 08/12/2013 at 8:27am
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 8:45am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Viscaria is almost unanimously worshipped as the blade with perhaps the most versatile backhand yet highly demanding forehand among EJs and non-EJs alike in China.  OTOH, Stiga blades are widely praised for their forehand prowess and feel.  Posts often pop up daily telling how bad or great it feels on either the forehand or backhand side whenever a person switches from one to the other brand.  Much of it could well be due to the influence of Zhang Jike and Wang Liqin and I used to shrug it off.  However, having spent considerable time with the Viscaria(so far 1.5 yrs) and Offensive Wood NCT(short of 3 yrs) with similar rubbers, I can sort of apprehend.  Part of that may have to do with the diverse impact locations on the blade face between forehand and backhand strokes.  The marks on my H3 and Hexer HD are far from reversed along the long axis.  They scatter over concentrated regions, which are known to exhibit different COR values.  When these locations are struck, various modes of vibration are excited at different amplitudes depending on the setup, grip, form etc., where the corresponding mode shapes are transferred to the hand.  In the event one's forehand or backhand stroke happens to hit the region that matches his game, the player could be under the impression that blade is more suited for that particular side.

In one sense, I get it.  It also assumes a lot about technique and skill level across individuals that is beyond me.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic