Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Arirang review thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Arirang review thread
    Posted: 08/05/2013 at 9:57am
Since I did not see any review thread yet I open this one. 

I only can give impressions from a 90 minutes session with my coach here in beautiful Shanghai. I'll update this post once I played a few matches. 

I glued up two brand new rubbers from my stash (so some observations might be related to fresh rubber): 
FH Tibhar Evolution FX-P 
BH: Tibhar Auus Sound
@BH: that's your setup as well Ermm ??

Blade weight is 86g. 

I compared with my current TSP Besty with Bluefire (softest) and Aurus Soft

Craftsmanship is without fault, similar to XIOM blades. 

Initial impression of Arirang  is a bit wooden and subdued. It does not have the kick of Besty but feels more solid and controlled, not hollow at all. 

There is some vibration but not too much. The blade reminded me somewhat of XIOM Zetro Quad blade in a way that is has a somewhat dull and smooth feeling but is *much* more controlled (less speed though as well). That's actually a main feature of Arirang: while it allows for powerful strokes when hitting forward it has great control in blocks and short game. 
It reminded me of other Nexy blades: on slow speed rather controlled but packing a punch in heavy strokes. Can't compete with a BTY SC or similar in terms of max speed though. Good thing is that I did not have many balls drop into the net on slow balls as with Lissom or Calix.    

Arirang feels very reliable with large sweet spot. 

Counter: 
Ok, more control then power: Besty has faster counter but not as reliable

Block:
Arirang much better for controlled blocks

Topspin on underspin: 
Maybe less spinny than Besty, but 'eating' the ball a bit more for better control. Needs a good active forward motion from your stroke. Has some dwell but still stiff, which makes for good controlled topspin and allows to feel the ball well on the blade. Result is a very controlled and not to weak topspin. 

Push:
Felt like went a bit high sometimes, but ok

Short game:
Better than Besty due to less bounce. 

Overall the blade did not totally wow me at the first moment, but got me interested in playing it some more. You may still need to generate your own power on some shots but not as pronounced as with Lissom or Calix. Arirang has a real good power/control ratio and is definitely another very decent blade by Nexy. Has a good mix for varying between  passive and active game. 

Ok, today I tested those four during regular club play. Innerforce ZLC and Photino had somewhat worn rubbers. 

I give some rough comparisons but did only FH backhand counter and topspin with all blades. 

Speed on slow shots:
Arirang < Besty < Photino < IF ZLC  

Speed on fast shots: 
Besty < Arirang < Photino < IF ZLC

Block safety:
IF ZLC < Photino < Besty < Arirang

Stiffness (maybe if mean somethng different ...):
IF ZLC > Besty > Arirang > Photino

Hardness:
IF ZLC > Photino > Besty > Arirang

I played Arirang and Besty in several maches. Opponents were allround topspin players this night. Some impressions:
Arirang has a rather soft but nonetheless precise feeling. It's very controlled on blocks and in short game, but with my rubber combo I also found it somewhat difficult to deal with spin balls, maybe due to some dwell of the outer layers. Smashing was not ideal for me as the blade needs a good forward motion through the ball on smashes, otherwise it's into the net (my FH  flat hit is no good really).  

Topspins are generally easy to control and, as I mentioned above, have good quality. I gave the blade to the No 2 club player though who plays power topspins mostly and he was not happy with the setup as it lacked 'core strength'. I'll try the blade with a harder rubber tomorrow.  

--------------------------

Today I played Arirang with a new Haifu Blue Whale on FH  - but not too much difference. Control and passive blocks are great, but I could not get the right feeling on explosive shots at it's to different to my current setup. 

A quick summary from my side: 

Arirang has a soft outer core and harder center which gives an overall soft touch but some power on heavier shots. It feels somewhat muted and dampened, but not mushy or weak. Has good power on fast strokes and great control in the passive game. Spin is ok but not main strength. Needs good forward acceleration mostly as it may absorb too much speed out of incoming slower balls.  Does not have the direct 'kick' of faster and harder  blades like Innerforce ZLC. 

Edited by harldhzx - 08/10/2013 at 10:28am
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2013 at 11:12pm
Hey Harldhzx..

My Arirang setup was Evo FX-P on FH and regular Aurus on BH.

Even with FX-P, I was very impressed with teh pace I could generate. maybe it was all those months using a $10 ALL+ blade...

Control, Control, and Control rule with this blade, but at teh middle of the OFF speed zone I was accustomed to with the TBS. I felt like I jumped 1/2 to one full level using Arirang combo. I was performing way better, like 2-3 points better vs the same players after I broke out the Arirang.

I could really go for the rip on counterloops and still be confident I would land it.

I'll do a much longer discussion with more complete comments after some more have voiced their experiences with it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2013 at 4:50am
harldhzx,
good idea. I've added a link to this thread in the first post of the Nexy Clan thread.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2013 at 8:43am
@BH
I look forward to a match play with the blade. It's definitely no disappointment like I had with this Victas Quartet Speed I brought back from Japan which actually has a similar composition and finish  (except second layer) but thinner. 

Arirang - like all Nexy blades I played -  has good power on shots with decent forward momentum, so playing and All+ blade sound like good preparation Beer

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2013 at 2:44pm
Arirang review and a A/B comparison between a 85g Arirang & a 86g TB-ALC - both with T05 2.1 on one side & T80 2.1 on the other.

Arirang in a nutshell / Raison d'être: It lies solidly in between the TB-ALC and IF-ALC in most areas but it is closer to TB-ALC than IF-ALC. This seems to be counter-intuitive (given that Arirang has two wood layers before the Aramid-Carbon (AC) one, just like the IF-ALC) but true. Perhaps the burnt inner layer contributes to this?

Arirang is only slightly less stiff than the TB-ALC and (unlike some IF series blades like the ALC and the ZLF) feels quite solid (just like the TB-ALC). It has only slightly more vibrations than the TB-ALC (and a lot less than the IF series blades). More catapault from mid-distance than the TB-ALC (which is very linear) but less than the IF series.

Stiffness: TB-ALC > Arirang > IF-ALC
Vibration: TB-ALC < Arirang < IF-ALC
Woodiness: TB-ALC < Arirang < IF-ALC
Solidity (for lack of a better word): TB-ALC > Arirang > IF-ALC
Mid-distance catapault (non-linearity): TB-ALC < Arirang < IF-ALC
Speed on slow shots (like at-table): TB-ALC > IF-ALC ~ Arirang > Calix II
Speed on full-blooded drives: TB-ALC > Arirang > IF-ALC (though speed differences are all slight in high speed shots)

So, relative to the TB-ALC, the Arirang gives you the benefit of a better short game but with the cost of getting used to some catapault from mid-distance (and a minor speed decrease). Just like the TB-ALC, it is a do-it-all blade.

Besides the above, blade quality is excellent and the balance is very good (though I like the ALC balance slightly better).

It would be a great blade for those who want something similar to the TB-ALC but slightly woodier and with a better short game but without the flexiness, vibrations and lack of solidity seen in the IF-ALC.

Edited by slevin - 01/07/2014 at 1:06pm
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2013 at 5:08pm
Although I'm not one of the chosen testers of the Arirang; I did receive an Arirang in the post from Andy Smith today.

The reason Andy has sent the blade to me to test is because he knew he might be short of time to test it, particualrly with his wife due.

And I'd like to say congratulations to Andy and his wife, who gave birth to a son today. 
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2013 at 11:31am
Arteepr (one of the reviewer) receive this blade today and eagerly rush me to the club for test.

3 newly bought blades   My Peter Pan   -    TMB ALC    -   Arteepr's Arirang Clap

Nexy Arirang is ONE decent blade I recommend even with I only play it for short time.

This one came as 86g FL handle
Very luxurious. Having sharp looking. Handle is comfortable

With Andro Rasant on BH
Hexer Hd 1.9 FH

This set up is well balance a bit to the handle but hardly be noticed. 
I hit with it for a while testing in various aspect for a brief review and play a game with it. 
One thing I notice is that it is soft outer and very solid inner very similar to INF series but different that it doesn't flex and mushy like INF ALC. Good feeling, very less vibration. 

On stroke I really feel that it holds the ball but powerful enough, and is very good at both looping especially on opening loop, good on smashing (solid enough inside) and having semi wood-composite feel. This blade is very well balance in many aspect and having variety of gears. A pace slower than Iolite, I'm sure. Still slower than TMB ALC and TMB spirit.

Looping - top spin is spinny enough power to kill. Medium throw. Very good second speed.

Blocking -very precise placement on passive blocking but  not very good for active block as it soft outside ---- not deathly kill.

Short game - as serve receiving and ball placement are very precise. Not good at flicking - it's not lively enough.  

I review it short as I had little time to know it but still love this blade.

Nexy give me one for free / kidding of course. Party

In short

I rate this blade as slower side of Offence/ medium  feel. Having variety of gears. Tons of feeling.
Can be used by close - mid distance player still powerful enough from distance. Very good on opening loop but not flicking and active blocking.

This is so far I can tell. This one really impress me as I'm able to play it naturally with some swing adjustment.

Arteepr review is coming soon.

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

@BH
I look forward to a match play with the blade. It's definitely no disappointment like I had with this Victas Quartet Speed I brought back from Japan which actually has a similar composition and finish  (except second layer) but thinner. 

Arirang - like all Nexy blades I played -  has good power on shots with decent forward momentum, so playing and All+ blade sound like good preparation Beer

It feels to me the Arirang has the best points of the Calix II and TBS maintaining absolute super control throughout any and every gear.

I played a match vs our young female coach last night. (Hey guys, fly over to my club, she is not married yet and is in the prime of her "gotta get married" age. Embarrassed

I usually have a difficult time getting a bat on coach's drives and loops, then make it land when she sets up her offense. Last night, I could get the bat on and even with a short control swing, I could land the ball with good spin and control. My defense (topspin defense and placement countering or blocking her fast or spinny shots) saved my bacon. I NEVER played like that vs her ever. This wasn't the only match I could either stay in the rally with such a shot or even regain the initiative.

All those months using the nice inexpensive spinny 896 made me use a lot of topspin shots to take my chance at a finish in the corner, down the line or at the body, so I got used to making a lot of shots before going for it, but with Arirang, I got the control to make a strong opener, a spinny opener, a controlled low topspin passing shot (a defensive topspin we use to setup an offensive topspin on the next shot) or a power loop on the first ball. I am more inclined to spin the ball up and finish on the next ball if it is there and the Aririang with Evo FX-P on the FH does not disappoint at all. It goes right where I want, whether I am trying to setup for the next ball, trying to pressure, or trying to finish the point. I never could make all those shots possible or have them at my disposal with this level of confidence and control before. I will need a TBS equipped with my normal combination to really know right now how they both stack up vs each other, I go by my experiences using TBS as my main blade over here in Korea when I am not long term testing a blade.

We can argue how much of playing the slower ALL+ blade helped me out and there will prolly be a lot of validity to that point. every time I long term tested a slower Nexy blade and switched back to TBS I felt like I played matches a lot better.

We can argue how much I can attribute this performance to the ability of the blade and het rubber combination. I am inclined to say the blade and rubber combo has a lot more to do with it, but the truth is likely somewhere in between. I think those months using the 896 helped my game play out a lot.

I don't think the boost in my play using the Arirang is enough to move me from city Div 2 to Div 1 with same winning percentage, but I can hang with the Div 1 croewd a LOT better using it. For sure, using Arirang + FX-P, I am doing so much better vs the Div 4 & Div 5 crowds that I must give large handicaps (4-5 points per game) and I do much better winning percentage vs the few Div 1 players I get to run into in my local club or a visit to a closeby club.

Match results or how your game with your equipment trouble an opponent ought to be the ultimate measure of how well such and such equipment is for you, but how it feels and how confident you play using it surely must have its proper place.

I heard someone say recently on a forum that you will quickly forget how well you play using new equipment when you run into someone who REALLY can play well and dominate you. I had a Swedish TT player who messaged our KFTTC on FB and he came to my local club. I managed -10, -9, -9 vs him in a lot of long rally points where he was at the end of many of these rallies, just simply better. Dude needs to letter his jersey The Better Player. He would be Div 0 (ZERO) here in our city and give a div 2 player like me a 3 point handicap. He said he was ranked in the middle 300 in Sweden and remembered Magnus from Speedplay's club in his city. Tere are only 4 active players his level north of Seoul, excluding coaches/owners, who 50% of them are former pro players or elite amature players.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2013 at 12:22pm
I am confident that slevin with his TBS on hand and Peter C, an experienced hand at TBS with 1 or more in service can make a GREAT comparison with TBS.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 7:36am
From looking at the picture it is quite clear that arirang's layering is quite different than vk qspeed.
The hinoki outer looks thicker in the vk and second layering in vk is also burned.
I like the Nexy design lot more.
And it is understandable arirangs feeling is better with thinner hinoki outer and not burned 2nd.
Though i am not a fan about hinoki, Nexy design seems very adjusted to get a good performance blade with very good control.
Probably the control feeling is high and crisp enough.
Just some doubts about rubber matching and sharpness.
Maybe a tbalc or a viscaria is a too much demanding blade to some people then the arirang feels a more controlled composite blade.
On the other side maybe the arirang is not as sharp blade lets say bounciness dynamics and directional crispness as a tbalc for the skilled player. But here not so many people to handle it.
These are my questions.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 12:15pm
My review is now posted above
weestenosis View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 2:33pm
Hello everybody.... I just want to comment to all that this arirang blade is not an ALC. ALC is arylate carbon... This blade has ARAMID CARBON. i think arylate carbon and aramid carbon have different features....

Am i right??
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 2:35pm
True. I'll amend my note. However, from my experience of Strad vs TBS, they are very similar composites.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 2:39pm
I know aramid is the softest with min-mod vibration.... Arylate is harder not hardest, less vibration than aramid. While zylon is the hardest with mod vibration...
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 3:29pm
Soon, I'll add to my review a comparison with this as well (same rubbers as what's on the Arirang):

harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2013 at 4:30am
"I played a match vs our young female coach last night. (Hey guys, fly over to my club, she is not married yet and is in the prime of her "gotta get married" age. Embarrassed"

Although I am happily married myself I might enjoy a photo :) 
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

From looking at the picture it is quite clear that arirang's layering is quite different than vk qspeed.
The hinoki outer looks thicker in the vk and second layering in vk is also burned.
Actually outer hinoki layer looks slightly thinner in Victas QS compared to Arirang. 
arteepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 4:00am
as my friend ,Crowfeather, said above.This blade is really beautiful.Handle is really comfortable and smooth.

I found that this blade has really good feeling, still less speed than my iolite but much more control.
When I hit the ball with it I feel like the ball was push into the core.
after I tried it 4 hours I was really impressed. This blade is made easy for counter looping style for sure.Now I think I can do almost everything when I play this blade.

Looping : This blade is very good for looping. Now I know the meaning of "Looping machine" clearly.As I said.This blade is less power than my iolite but much more control.my killing shot is less powerful but
I feel like everytime I hit the ball It won't fail.Having so much confidence on loop-trade.

Blocking : with more control.This blade is also good for blocking.But I need to do a bit more active block than before.  

Short game: as my friend said.As serve receiving and ball placement are very precise.But for me.I can do my flicking as usual.

Choping : I'm not really good in choping but I did it a few shot. This blade is too fast to do it.

Smashing : a bit too slow to do a killing shot in my opinion.but when I do it I can place the ball everywhere I want.What a WONDERFUL CONTROL.

For me.This blade is really suit my style.I rate it as off blade with medium feel.Really good feeling.Wonderful look (especially the "gem" hehe :P)
I'm saving to buy a second one after it release in public. I was finding a blade like this for long time ago. A table tennis blade that isn't just a sport equipment.
full of meaning,really beautiful looking and perfect for my playing style. 

Blade:Tibhar Fortino Pro ST 87 g
BH:Xiom Vega X
FH:Dianchi Special D provincial
Table tennis lover<3
Feedback
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:13am
I'm also a former Iolite player so I can't wait to test this blade because I am also looking for a blade with similar feel but thinner and with more control!
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
arteepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 8:49am
for me this blade is thinner a bit harder and more control than iolite. I can tell you this isn't the same feeling as my iolite but I like it a lot.
Blade:Tibhar Fortino Pro ST 87 g
BH:Xiom Vega X
FH:Dianchi Special D provincial
Table tennis lover<3
Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by arteepr arteepr wrote:

This blade is made easy for counter looping style for sure.Now I think I can do almost everything when I play this blade.

Looping : This blade is very good for looping. Now I know the meaning of "Looping machine" clearly.As I said.This blade is less power than my iolite but much more control. My killing shot is less powerful but
I feel like everytime I hit the ball It won't fail. Having so much confidence on loop-trade. 

Finishing shots with Arirang for me have plenty of finishing power, pace, spin, and CONTROL. You make your opener right where you want it heavy and fast enough, then on the next ball if you choose, you can drop the hammer to finish the point or put opponent under severe pressure.  

Maybe it was those months with the ALL+ setup and suddenly going to an OFF blade. I remember feeling similar each time I long term test something slower then go back to TBS. I really had to make a lot more shots in a rally to make my higher percentage finishes using the loop machine ALL+ blade, I could pressure opponent, but not hit through them on the 2nd ball. With Arirang, I have the option to do that on 2nd ball or whatever ball I choose to setup and go for. That really has put a smile on my face.

I never liked a softer rubber on the TBS, never. It was always hard, hard, hard. Soft never worked for me on TBS. Evo FX-P on the Arirang is wonderful, simply feel like I will hit it hard and spinny enough on my aggressive hard shots, yet I am playing better defense using it as well. The best defense with FX-P on Arirang is the soft defensive topspin shot. You put on the brakes to an incoming loop at your crossover using a soft hand and a forward stroke and you are making a soft counter topspin that can paralyze and opponent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2013 at 4:02am
Dear , BH-man 

Can you show me picture of your "Ari" I love to see the ST handle.
Thanks in advance.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2013 at 7:34pm
Arirang is now listed on nexy.com here.
Unfortunately, there's no picture of the ST handle (yet).

Also, the placement of the composite layer appears to be wrong on these pictures. So maybe they're pictures of a prototype. rather than the production blade. See this post for details.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2013 at 2:47am
I believe that the pictures on nexy.com is indeed taken from early prototype. He will replace them as soon as he sees them.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2013 at 12:47pm
The Aramid Carbon layers on the Arirang are placed around the Kiri core and covered by two further wooden plies; i.e. the medial plies and 1mm thick Kiso Hinoki outer plies.

When I compare the Arirang to the Oscar; the Kiri core and medial plies of the Aririang, are about the same thickness as the core and inner plies of the Oscar.

The flared handle on the Arirang is the most comfortable Nexy flared handle I've come across to date.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2013 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

The flared handle on the Arirang is the most comfortable Nexy flared handle I've come across to date.
Thumbs Up Yes, the handle is top. Most of the flared handles are too flared for me, because they are too small on one side and too wide on the other. So I always played with straight handles. 

Some months ago I found a Nittaku Tenor with flared handle and liked it very much, because it is only a bit flared, enough to hold the blade stable in my hands, but not too flared (as Calix 2). If you compare the handles of Arirang, Calix and Tenor, you will see, what I mean.

Edited by Magic_M - 08/17/2013 at 5:09am
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2013 at 6:04pm
Magic M

Thank you for posting for the pictures of the three handles; as the Tenor and Arirang flared handles are two of the best I've seen.

One of the reasons I prefer straight and anatomical handles is becasue it is easier to find a good one; whereas flared handles can vary quite a lot and some are just uncomfortable.

The beauty of the Arirang flared handle is the subtlety of its curve; it's length and a butt end that doesn't get in the way, when playing wristy backhand topspin shots.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2013 at 10:22am
Thx Magic M for the wonderful picture and information.

I borrowed arteepr arirang blade and try several rubber on it.
One thing I like to share, pairing Arirang with Omega IV euro is recommended.
 Easy to play,extreme performance. 

Various euro tensors go well with arirang, Hexer HD , rasant, Target force 45. I have try all of these. I can not say much about Evolution EL-P as mine was not grippy as new, it was from last year.

Did not had a chance to try with tenergy series.

I did a joke on my girlfriend propose her with arirang,
she said "not gonna happen if that gem is not on a ring"Party

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 8:56am
I will also try to give you some first impressions of my Arirang. I ordered it with a flared handle and a weight of 85g, because that`s exactly the weight of my main blade (Nittaku Tenor). It is not a really review, because it`s the impression from one single training-session (it is holiday here in Germany and our sports-hall is closed) with Arirang and Calix 2.

A few weeks ago I didn`t know Nexi and the Nexi-blades. But when I informed me about these blades, there was a "must-test"-feeling in me. So I asked to be one of the Arirang-testers and (with a little luck) I was one of the happy testers.

First I want to say, that Arirang is a really beauty. The blades is well balanced and (during the game) it feels lighter than my Tenor, although it has exactly the same weight.

I played both blades (Arirang and Calix) with my normal setup (Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1,9 on FH and Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta 1,9 on BH). Mostly I played with Arirang, because this was my first choose and maybe some people are waiting for some more reviews. So Calix 2 has to wait some more weeks for a real test.

Speed:
I also agree, that Arirang has too different sides. It is very controlled in passiv game, but has enough power to attack. For me this is a classic Off- blade with much control.

Blocking:
If you play passive, it is very easy to block each ball and with good placement. However it is naturally not hard for the opponent, to attack again. Blocking with some more power needs a bit more attention, because sometimes the ball gets too long.

Chooping:
that`s no problem for me, also not with Arirang. I could play short balls with good placement.

Looping on Underspin:
This blade is a really looping-machine. It is sooo easy. It seems, that I can loop ANY underspin with full control. In the moment I don`t know any blade, which is better in this category.

Aggressiv topspin:
This is the only (but important) problem, because I didn`t find a way to controll these power-spins. But it seems, that I am not the only one, who has this problem.

Originally posted by harldhzx harldhzx wrote:

Topspins are generally easy to control and, as I mentioned above, have good quality. I gave the blade to the No 2 club player though who plays power topspins mostly and he was not happy with the setup as it lacked 'core strength'. I'll try the blade with a harder rubber tomorrow.  
--------------------------
Today I played Arirang with a new Haifu Blue Whale on FH  - but not too much difference. Control and passive blocks are great, but I could not get the right feeling on explosive shots at it's to different to my current setup. 

I think, my problem is, that Arirang becomes very bouncy, if you play fast and agressiv.

Next steps:
Maybe the differences between my Tenor and Arirang are the reason for my problems. Tenor is stiff and (in this light selected version) not very fast. You can place each ball very easy and if you want to attack, it is possible to play the ball with full speed, because Tenor is not bouncy in any way.
So there are two ways. I could try to play my attack with half of the power, but is this possible? I don`t think so. Therefore I will change the rubbers next week. On FH I will try Tenergy 05 (1,9) and on BH Victas VS-401, because both rubbers are not bouncy. So this could fit much better to Arirang. I will let you know about my results.

Edited by Magic_M - 06/02/2015 at 1:52pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2013 at 7:29am
Initial review: arirang 85g cpen with red used rasant FH and used tenergy 64 BH, 40-45min drills.

This blade is great in close table game like peterpan. Speed is not fast but with great control compare to peterpan... So you need to swing it harder to get the power u need for the speed, with better control for placement. Blocking is not that good as u still have to move ur arm forward in order to put thw ball to the other side of the table. Due to hinoki top ply, fast ball return with fast speed to block and slow when slow speed... Smash and flick are accurate but not strong in speed. This blade is also great in service, good dwell of the ball for control and placement... I am not good with my rpb, but during this drills, 90% of my backhabd loops were good compare to last time when i used peterpan. Will cont with mid distance and during game review.... Btw, this is same rubbers and set-up when i review the peterpan.
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic