Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rakza 7 Soft Max or 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amitmnagarwal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rakza 7 Soft Max or 2.0
    Posted: 08/11/2013 at 8:39am
I have been playing with Rakza 7 soft 2.0.

I hv being quite satisfied, just tht was curious if the max version will give more spin , speed.

also will be more durable ?

wht do u people think.

Amit Agarwal

Blade : Michael Maze
FH : T05 max
BH : R47
Sponsored Links

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by amitmnagarwal amitmnagarwal wrote:

I have been playing with Rakza 7 soft 2.0.

I hv being quite satisfied, just tht was curious if the max version will give more spin , speed.

also will be more durable ?

wht do u people think. 

The general view is that Max versions always give more spin and speed but with less control than the 2.0mm version of any rubber.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 11:15am
Agree
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 3:39pm
The difference between Rakza 7 Soft at 2.0mm and at Max (effectively 2.2mm) is quite marked, in my view. I use these exact rubbers on my FH (Max) and BH (2.0mm). If I flip the bat round, I find the Max almost uncontrollable on my BH, especially for blocking loops - the ball just arcs off the end of the table. The 2.0mm on my FH, meanwhile, feels under-powered (less zip.)
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 4:07pm
According to TTEdge, 2.0 is higher throw than Max, though Max allows for more powerful shots.   For me, 2.0 allows for significantly greater control on my defensive and passive shots and as these play a non-trivial part in my game, I use 2.0. I find that paradoxically (to me) that as I get better, those shots are more important for my game.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roulage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roulage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2013 at 4:43pm
Another point of view
R7S 2.0mm seems better with all-wood blades, max one with offensive carbon blade. Thickness 2.0mm was a little bit bouncier with carbon blades, lower throw, less spin. Too much interaction of rubber and blade. Max thickness worked better . Wooden blades are generally not so springy and "kicking" like carbon blades, so my knowledge is that R7S 2.0mm suits better with all-wood blades, max was a little bit slower because of less interaction with wood
Photino+Andro Plaxon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:47am
R7S Max on FH , how does it feel.
Amit Agarwal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:49am
Originally posted by roulage roulage wrote:

Another point of view
R7S 2.0mm seems better with all-wood blades, max one with offensive carbon blade. Thickness 2.0mm was a little bit bouncier with carbon blades, lower throw, less spin. Too much interaction of rubber and blade. Max thickness worked better . Wooden blades are generally not so springy and "kicking" like carbon blades, so my knowledge is that R7S 2.0mm suits better with all-wood blades, max was a little bit slower because of less interaction with wood

You mean to say, R7S max will suite Maze blade.

My main concern is I should not loose control, which for me is more important.

Amit Agarwal

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:57am

Originally posted by roulage roulage wrote:

Another point of view

You mean to say, R7S max will suite Maze blade.

My main concern is I should not loose control, which for me is more important.

I've just switched to a Maze (from a TB ZLF), and have R7S Max on the FH. I find it too bouncy on the Maze - the throw is so high that loop-drives are extremely difficult to execute. The short game is also troublesome, given the bounciness. I've just ordered a T05 to replace the R7S, but I'm keeping it on my BH (in 2.0mm).
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
roulage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roulage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 6:24am
R7S is soft sponge rubber, catapult effect is quite high, so if somebody feels a lack of control, it could be true especially with Maze (played with Maze several weeks and clubmate plays several years with one). Another advice is change R7S with harder sponge rubber (clasical Rakza 7, Rakza 9 or another rubber - clubmate plays fh with Acuda S1 2.0mm very well). Tenergy is very often combination with Maze, but don´t forget that Tenergy series are quite springy too
Photino+Andro Plaxon
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 1:36pm
  To myself the difference between 2.0 and Max is distance played from the table. At the table players benefit from 2.0 and true mid distance players gain using Max. Nothing is set in stone of course just my general observations and knowledge from decades of tournament play. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 1:54pm
I have tried a few Rakza 7 sheets.  The one I played best with was Rakza 7 1.8mm on the FH because at the time I played close to the table and would counter hit loops that were too high.

I have a Rakza 7 Soft max.   It does remind me of T05 with the catapult effect.  If you regularly play 2 meters back from the table the go for the Rakza 7 max.  If not the stick with the 2mm.   I wouldn't go thinner on the FH unless you get the firmer Rakza 7 1.8mm.

How many people play 2 meters back all the time?

As far as durability goes there is little difference since they use the same materials in each.
I bet you wouldn't notice much if any difference in play either.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:29pm
Can anyone comment on the difference of R7S vs R7 as a BH rubber on a 5-ply wood blade (Xiom Aria). 

I'm about to replace my sheet of R7 on my BH and was considering grabbing R7S instead.

I am looking for something that let me perform BH flips with more success, allow me to easily switch between performing a BH loop-drive and a high arc, slow spinny BH loop.

Of course I would like the control to be the same or better than normal R7, an increased ability to defensively chop would be excellent as well.

I am willing to sacrifice a bit of speed and mid-far to far distance BH looping in exchange for an improvement in the close to mid distance play.

Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

Can anyone comment on the difference of R7S vs R7 as a BH rubber on a 5-ply wood blade (Xiom Aria). 

I'm about to replace my sheet of R7 on my BH and was considering grabbing R7S instead.

I am looking for something that let me perform BH flips with more success, allow me to easily switch between performing a BH loop-drive and a high arc, slow spinny BH loop.

Of course I would like the control to be the same or better than normal R7, an increased ability to defensively chop would be excellent as well.

I am willing to sacrifice a bit of speed and mid-far to far distance BH looping in exchange for an improvement in the close to mid distance play.

I think R7s is what you need (if you happy with R7 already)
with the softer sponge, the ball will dwell longer (given right technique), thus your flip, loop-drive, high arc, slow spinny BH loop should be easier done on R7s than R7.

imo there is more control in R7s vs R7, thus also means it looses a little bit of speed. But R7s is still fast enough for a lot of people.

so IMO, R7s should fit your needs
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 5:33pm
Thanks ZA, I'll give R7S a try and hopefully it'll give me a little more room for error in my loops.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2013 at 2:08am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I have tried a few Rakza 7 sheets.  The one I played best with was Rakza 7 1.8mm on the FH because at the time I played close to the table and would counter hit loops that were too high.

I have a Rakza 7 Soft max.   It does remind me of T05 with the catapult effect.  If you regularly play 2 meters back from the table the go for the Rakza 7 max.  If not the stick with the 2mm.   I wouldn't go thinner on the FH unless you get the firmer Rakza 7 1.8mm.

As far as durability goes there is little difference since they use the same materials in each.

Which blade do u use, I was just thinking the extra spin and speed it will give.

Is the catapult effect difficult to control. I hv Maze blade.
Amit Agarwal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 6:04am
Just an update, I have being using R7S max for the past 3 months on FH

Close to the table, I am missing the shot execution which i was able to do quite freely with 2.0.
Shots tend to go out of the table bit more.

earlier i was able to execute easily return of service with loop , now bit difficult.

I have observed a marked difference on FH switching to max from 2.0.

However whn tried on BH, it was playing quite good. 

Blocks v well, can open backspin balls well. working well on BH R7S max.

With R7S 2.0 on FH , I beat much higher ranked players in my local circuit.
Not getting that hitting feel with max on FH now !!

I am thinking, going ahead will put R7S 2.0 on both FH and BH.

Wht do you think.?

Amit Agarwal

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 9:14pm
I have about 5 sheets of rakza 7 soft. And all are Max. If you want to increase speed, go for max. Max on R7S is the most ideal pairing in my opinion.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2013 at 10:13pm

Which blade do u use, I was just thinking the extra spin and speed it will give.

Is the catapult effect difficult to control. I hv Maze blade.
I have Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm, Rakza 7 soft max, and Rakza 7 1.8mm.
They do play much different from each other.

Rakza 7 Soft max is good for looping on my Samsonov Alpha.
Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm is too thin and soft for the FH.
Rakza 7 1.8mm with 802 1.5mm and my Samsonov Alpha is one of my favorite setups.  It is easy to control.

The Rakza 7 1.8 is definitely lacking in the spin category, compared to Rakza 7 Soft Max, but it spins better than Mark V max and is lighter.   I make up for the loss of spin by brushing more.

BTW,  it would have better if PathfinderPro compared Rakza 7 Soft Max with Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm rather than use two cheap Chinese rubbers when comparing rubbers with two different thicknesses of sponges.  The two different thickness are much different.

Edited by tt4me - 12/16/2013 at 10:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2013 at 12:17am
With R7S 2.0 , I felt  my smashes landed more consistently on the table.

Also I cud just loop return of services much easier and with surprize precision to the opponent.

This is while playig with Maze blade of course.
Amit Agarwal

pathfinderpro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pathfinderpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2013 at 7:36pm

.... BTW,  it would have better if PathfinderPro compared Rakza 7 Soft Max with Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm rather than use two cheap Chinese rubbers when comparing rubbers with two different thicknesses of sponges...

Yes I agree it would.  But then it would also have cost me a lot more too Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic