FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

dwelltime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, you haven't been around here a lot lately to experience our man AgentHEX. 

Yeah
And sadly we all need to experience AgentHEX, the master of:

1) falsely requoting other's words and meanings
2) insulting people the "polite way" (some times in-polite)
3) knowing it all (even when wrong, but will twist things to insist on being right).

If this guy spends half the time on the table, i'm sure he will be a good athlete and really use his "knowledge" to help the sport in a positive manner. I doubt he has the guts to insult people directly in person.

Sad that so many people and now even a very busy Larry needs to put up with this.
I have done my part by ignoring all AgentHEX thread as I feel his used to be "valid arguments" are now becoming a whole library of useless things. Imagine 6 months from now, some new user search for dwell time and need to read all this Dead

I just hope the mods have enough time to go through all couple of hundreds of his post to supervise to see if anyone has broken parole terms and conditions.
Good luck to all the Mods out there Confused

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/02/2013 at 4:21pm
Sponsored Links

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:44pm
Imagine seeing a blade all in action "flexed" (which is a too simple term but so common that it,s hard to explain not using it). Midst between tensioning and relaxationphase.
I don.t wonder that this has the maximum load.
But I do wonder what maximum load for physics ?
What term in Physics represents this apart from pressure forces (action and reaction).

Is it represented by elastic energy, elastic power or both ?
I was thinking energy but now I tend to the idea of both even when the units wouldn,t immediately fit for that moment. (in the end it does)

Idea is that "loading" upto where relaxationphase starts has  E*T=> P (elastic power thus).
Dwellperiod overlaps with this T from beginning  of contact to where the sponge is maximum compressed but this T starts before dwell starts from the hands of players.
Loading the sponge nd ball contributing for this can be added to this for a total elastic Power in between the technical  tensiningphase and relaxationphase for all springs involved.
Then the relaxation period starts and follows as  P/T => Ek. "Breaking down" P elastic into kinetic energy.
But other T now. Much shorter as it,s only last part of the dwellperiod where the first part of the dwellperiod was only a small part for the total T for loading the paddle.

Hence an enormous increase of kinetic energy Ek. Large part of the energy that the player brought in was immediately connected to the blade (so not with a kinetic in between). This part of energy waits to come out until the relaxationphase starts.

The standard collision idea fails completely then for this part because it assumes preservation of kinetic energy (instead of generating it).
There is no physics law that says kinetic energy must be conserved.
Energy must be conserved is an existent physics law (no increase or decrease) but not for kinetic energy in particular.

The blade is just an extension of the hand for this offcourse. Hand muscles and fat is softer then wood even tensioned muscles. So that allows deformation also and also adds to the elasticity.
Looping with a stiff blade is still possible but needs a good hand for it.
But when bladehandling makes a flexible blade resonate to this it doesn,t cost energy for a stroke.
Except when dwell is too short for making this happen. A thicker sponge can do the trick then and Looping instead of flathitting.

Edited by mercuur - 10/02/2013 at 5:08pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 1:16pm
AgentHex illustrates the problem with being an inherently rude person.  When the rude person thinks he is just being inquisitive, others can't tell the difference.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 12:32pm
A sponge is compressed between the ball and blade. Between the actionforces and reactionforces (both from both sides). Better avoid the long story telling about how a ball compresses a sponge or penetrates into a rubber.  TT balls don,t penetrate rubbers. At least not that I have seen.

The paddle contact's the ball with elastic energy in the blade not equal to zero for a powerloop or flathit. .

P=E/sec  is not a physics equation. It,s as if it has a standard dwell of one second to compare every other dwell period to.
The physics equation is P=E/T (unit/unit) whatever units used. Not energy per second. All units belong between brackets for ratio's or equations. Not one of the two between the brackets and other in the equation or ratio.

It all depends then what you can or want to set for the equation. E and T as a standard period or P or nothing set ?
In general I would say nothing as it all depends from different strokes, different paddles, rubbers, blades, players. Same stroke with a different blade or rubber or player all makes it a different stroke from one variable.
W=F*S.  P=E/T.
F depends on spongepressure. But S/T can be different with same amplitude or same dwell. Depends on resilience, Same as between  soft and slow for a rubber or equally soft and quick.

Edited by mercuur - 10/02/2013 at 3:09pm

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 11:07am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

It's past 4AM here. Have a good night, I mean morning. 
-Larry Hodges
 Lol, we've all been there...
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 10:53am
Larry, you haven't been around here a lot lately to experience our man AgentHEX. 
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 6:14am
Very good point about the difference in contact time between flat shots and spin shots. These highest fps videos show only flat shots with a racket mounted on some device - but on a video of a player looping the contact time looks to me like orders of magnitude higher.. And yes, on some serves it feels like if the ball was just rolling on the rubber - and it even looks that way for an observer sometimes (especially some Liu Shiwen's serves are making that impression to me). Actually, I've just had a revelation (lol) that this feeling of dwell simply directly corresponds to the amount of spin we impart on the ball - if we connect the ball well we feel a good, long dwell, which means that the shot was spinny (and thats the reason this dwell feeling is so important) - and, btw. the feeling of hitting a center spot on flat shots may be something entirely different altogether.  

Edited by Krantz - 10/02/2013 at 6:15am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:32am
You have a good night too, AgentHEX. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:30am
The dilemma I have right now is whether demonstrating the further frankly trivial logical inconsistencies and disingenuous nature of your post is worthwhile, because you seem to have a habit of disengaging with nonsense when backed into a corner. IOW, there's greater concern here to avoid appearing wrong than find what is right. For example, the statement: "and that this is unique to TT among racketsports" did quite explicitly refer to that example in tennis, which directly preceded it in the same sentence. If it makes you feel better just insert "example" into all subsequent references as it makes zero difference.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:17am
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Larry, why resort like this? Everyone can see your dwell time logic is not going to work out, so there's no need to pretend otherwise with some unconvincing excuse that there's some meaningful difference between "tennis" and "tennis example" which you btw can't be bothered to explain.
Once again you bring up the apples and oranges tennis thing that I've explained over and over, where you kept misquoting me. You still think referring to a specific tennis example is the same as referring to all of tennis? And you are sticking with that? Okay. Can you specify how many times I have to explain that a specific tennis example is not the same as all of tennis before you'll stop falsely saying I can't be bothered to explain? Sorry, not interested in spending more time discussing apples and oranges and tennis and dwell time. It's past 4AM here. Have a good night, I mean morning. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:07am
The prof who did so for tennis used a laser trigger and it wasn't because he was uncreative.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 4:00am
hi folks esp tt4me
i would suggest the following for measuring dwell;
When we brush the ball finely, a 'zzz' sound is clearly made. it has perceptible length.
If you record and play this back you can display the result with sound wave analysis software. You can also record the shotmakers comment immediately after the shot is made as to whether the dwell he perceived was longer or not
this might shed more light than the video evidence in some ways
What do you think?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:59am
Larry, why resort like this? Everyone can see your dwell time logic is not going to work out, so there's no need to pretend otherwise with some unconvincing excuse that there's some meaningful difference between "tennis" and "tennis example" which you btw can't be bothered to explain.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:50am

Ah ok, so you can't be bothered to explain what you mean when it's inconvenient. I hope those students don't ask too many question, too.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's because you kept changing my words and misquoting me, as I showed over and over. I kept asking you to show me where I said the things you claimed I said, but you could not because you had changed what I had written. On top of that, I get tired of debating with aggressive anonymous people. It's easy for you to write anything you want since you stay anonymous. When you got caught changing my words over and over, you didn't care because you can hide behind anonymity. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:39am
Ah ok, so you can't be bothered to explain what you mean when it's inconvenient. I hope those students don't ask too many question, too.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:36am

Sorry, AgentHEX, not interested in continuing or playing math games.

Is this some kind of joke? You claimed I didn't understand you, so I'm literally asking you what you mean. Using numbers (or charts or whatever) is generally how quantitative things are expressed in this world.

Even when I point out my exact words - "The tennis example is apples and oranges" - you insist on changing my words, and say, "Apples and oranges means that tennis and TT cannot be compared." I didn't say that. I said "The tennis EXAMPLE" (CAPS added for emphasis) cannot be compared. That means the specific EXAMPLE you gave, not tennis in general. But I've already explained this, and you've chosen to continue to misquote me. Can you explain why you keep changing my words ("The tennis example") to tennis in general? 
-Larry Hodges

How exactly is the tennis example apples and oranges anyway? I can't find any reason other than maybe you say so, but that's not a very good reason.

AgentHEX, I think when I wrote I'm "not interested in continuing or playing math games," I made it clear that I'm not interested in continuing. If you wanted me to explain the apples and oranges thing, you should have asked me that rather than twice changing my words and insisting I'd said things I'd never said, even after I pointed out that you'd changed my words. Have a good night. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:30am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

I thought I could let this thread die, die, die but no.
Larry, did you look back through the thread to find my high speed videos shot at 2000 FPS?

1.  I don't like the term dwell time.  Dwell implies being stationary and the ball isn't stationary on the rubber.  I prefer the term contact time.
2.  I thought that Baal confirmed that we couldn't detect short differences in contact time.  By short I mean a few hundred micro seconds.
3.  Larry,  you are wrong and AgentHex is right about this accelerating through the ball stuff.  By definition, if the paddle is still accelerating then it hasn't reached maximum speed and if you want to hit the ball fast you want as much paddle speed as possible.  Also,  AgentHex is right in that the amount of speed increase during the contact time is very small and makes little difference.
4.  I have repeatably ask people to tell us how to increase the dwell time.   Hitting the ball softly will not do it.  So here is a quick calculation.   Earlier mercuur asked me about how much force is applied to hit the ball.  For a typical hit the peak force is about 100N.  At that point the ball is embedded in the rubber and compressed as far as it will go.   If the paddle is accelerated so that the paddle continues to apply 100N the ball will stay compressed and actually be stopped or dwell relative to the paddle.  Now I ask everyone and anyone.  What does the acceleration need to be so that the paddle continues to apply 100N on the ball?  I figure that that a person might be able to accelerate a paddle at most 20G but probably much lower.  That isn't near high enough if the rubber, ball, and wood are pushing the ball away at 100N.  Sure,  I agree that accelerating through the ball increases dwell time but it is microseconds and Baal said we couldn't make that distinction.  Long ago I posted a thread about a trampoline on a spaceship.  I am sure that most that I was nuts at the time but the problem is exactly the same.
5. If you want to maximize paddle swing then one should do similar exercises as martial artists.
6. Given that the student is not a martial artist then it is best to find where in the student's swing the paddle speed is the greatest and make a point to hit the ball at that point.   Now everyone can see the futility.  That would require super foot work so that the ball could always be hit at the optimal point.    The real goal should be to make the optimal point as big as possible because no matter how good you are there will be times when the foot work is not good enough.

I think what I wrote about #3 above is a little more subtle. Most top loopers will say they focus on accelerating through contact. If you stop accelerating before contact you lose acceleration time and don't reach full speed. However, the difference between at contact and the split second after contact is rather subtle. (And no, I haven't read the 480 posts before I came here.)

You wrote of dwell time, "Hitting the ball softly will not do it." Are you saying that when, for example, pushing softly you can't keep the ball on the racket longer, as I wrote? I can do this and even catch the ball on my racket to maximize dwell time, though of course in a real rally I wouldn't do that. But the ball definitely stays on the racket longer when pushing then, say, when smashing. And I'm pretty sure that when soft looping against a backspin ball the dwell time (or contact time as you put it) is longer than, say, when loop killing with a flatter angle, with the ball sinking into the wood and rebounding out very quickly. Do you disagree? 

As I've stressed over and over, there is a definite feel of extra dwell time on a good loop, and I've given specific reasons why there would be more dwell time if you loop with a wider angle (more sponge to go through, as opposed to a flatter loop that goes though less sponge and rebounds off the wood), or with acceleration (so racket essentially stays with the ball longer). If these do not do what they seem to do, then an explanation needs to be given as to why.

On the other hand, after ~500 posts, we can move on to other things. 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 10/02/2013 at 5:06am
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:29am

Sorry, AgentHEX, not interested in continuing or playing math games.

Is this some kind of joke? You claimed I didn't understand you, so I'm literally asking you what you mean. Using numbers (or charts or whatever) is generally how quantitative things are expressed in this world.

Even when I point out my exact words - "The tennis example is apples and oranges" - you insist on changing my words, and say, "Apples and oranges means that tennis and TT cannot be compared." I didn't say that. I said "The tennis EXAMPLE" (CAPS added for emphasis) cannot be compared. That means the specific EXAMPLE you gave, not tennis in general. But I've already explained this, and you've chosen to continue to misquote me. Can you explain why you keep changing my words ("The tennis example") to tennis in general? 
-Larry Hodges

How exactly is the tennis example apples and oranges anyway? I can't find any reason other than maybe you say so, but that's not a very good reason.

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:20am
Sorry, AgentHEX, not interested in continuing or playing math games. Even when I point out my exact words - "The tennis example is apples and oranges" - you insist on changing my words, and say, "Apples and oranges means that tennis and TT cannot be compared." I didn't say that. I said "The tennis EXAMPLE" (CAPS added for emphasis) cannot be compared. That means the specific EXAMPLE you gave, not tennis in general. But I've already explained this, and you've chosen to continue to misquote me. Can you explain why you keep changing my words ("The tennis example") to tennis in general? 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:17am
I thought I could let this thread die, die, die but no.
Larry, did you look back through the thread to find my high speed videos shot at 2000 FPS?

1.  I don't like the term dwell time.  Dwell implies being stationary and the ball isn't stationary on the rubber.  I prefer the term contact time.
2.  I thought that Baal confirmed that we couldn't detect short differences in contact time.  By short I mean a few hundred micro seconds.
3.  Larry,  you are wrong and AgentHex is right about this accelerating through the ball stuff.  By definition, if the paddle is still accelerating then it hasn't reached maximum speed and if you want to hit the ball fast you want as much paddle speed as possible.  Also,  AgentHex is right in that the amount of speed increase during the contact time is very small and makes little difference.
4.  I have repeatably ask people to tell us how to increase the dwell time.   Hitting the ball softly will not do it.  So here is a quick calculation.   Earlier mercuur asked me about how much force is applied to hit the ball.  For a typical hit the peak force is about 100N.  At that point the ball is embedded in the rubber and compressed as far as it will go.   If the paddle is accelerated so that the paddle continues to apply 100N the ball will stay compressed and actually be stopped or dwell relative to the paddle.  Now I ask everyone and anyone.  What does the acceleration need to be so that the paddle continues to apply 100N on the ball?  I figure that that a person might be able to accelerate a paddle at most 20G but probably much lower.  That isn't near high enough if the rubber, ball, and wood are pushing the ball away at 100N.  Sure,  I agree that accelerating through the ball increases dwell time but it is microseconds and Baal said we couldn't make that distinction.  Long ago I posted a thread about a trampoline on a spaceship.  I am sure that most that I was nuts at the time but the problem is exactly the same.
5. If you want to maximize paddle swing then one should do similar exercises as martial artists.
6. Given that the student is not a martial artist then it is best to find where in the student's swing the paddle speed is the greatest and make a point to hit the ball at that point.   Now everyone can see the futility.  That would require super foot work so that the ball could always be hit at the optimal point.    The real goal should be to make the optimal point as big as possible because no matter how good you are there will be times when the foot work is not good enough.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 3:05am
> Do you understand the difference between saying dwell time is longest on slow shots, but a longer dwell time on power shots increases power? You are getting cause and effect mixed up. The slower shot leads to a longer dwell time. But a longer dwell time on power shots increases the power. If you don't get this, then I can't help you.

Can you maybe use numbers or a graph or something to illustrate this? Let's say for a medium contact speed of 10 s-units, the dwell is 10 d-units. At the very least you're claiming for speed <10s's, the dwell >10d's. So for "power" shots (certainly greater than 10s's), how would the number of d's change? And when the speed increases more (presumably more power), what happens to amount of dwell?

> And where did I say anything about something being "unique to TT amount racketsports"? I wrote, "The tennis example is apples and oranges." I referred to the tennis example as apples and oranges, not tennis. So you again go after me for something I didn't write.

Apples and oranges means that tennis and TT cannot be compared. Given that most other racquet sports are reasonably comparable to tennis, can you figure out the logical conclusion we're left with?

Edited by AgentHEX - 10/02/2013 at 3:06am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 2:54am

What? Did you not clearly state above that dwell time is longer for soft shots AND power strokes? 

Now you've changed what you wrote AND misrepresented what I wrote. You wrote:

"So you believe that dwell is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, and that this is unique to TT amount racketsports."

As I pointed out, I DID NOT SAY THAT. But now you changed your own words to your new statement above:

"Did you not clearly state above that dwell time is longer for soft shots AND power strokes?"

This new statement both misquotes your own statement, and misrepresents what I wrote, but I'm tired of correcting you. Can you show me where I said dwell time is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, as you claim I did? 

Do you understand the difference between saying dwell time is longest on slow shots, but a longer dwell time on power shots increases power? You are getting cause and effect mixed up. The slower shot leads to a longer dwell time. But a longer dwell time on power shots increases the power. If you don't get this, then I can't help you. 

And where did I say anything about something being "unique to TT amount racketsports"? I wrote, "The tennis example is apples and oranges." I referred to the tennis example as apples and oranges, not tennis. So you again go after me for something I didn't write. 

And because you keep misreading and/or misrepresenting what I wrote (as well as your own words), I've wasted a lot of time that could have been devoted to the writing project I'm working on tonight. But I guess that's my own fault for not heeding the many postings that accuse you of trolling. I fell for it. 

And now you'll respond (again) with another item-by-item response which will have just as many misrepresentations as this one did because that's the only way you can respond without admitting you were wrong. Terrific.

-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 2:47am
It appears my relation relative to larry is as he is to you.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 2:36am

Wow. You just said lots of argumentative stuff without actually saying much of anything, while misrepresenting what I wrote in an attempt to draw me into a whole series of trolling "debates," just as you do with others. Did you read what I wrote before responding? Just read, for example, your first two responses, which are nonsense - and if I respond (again) I'll just be dragged deeper into your trolling pit. 

For example, you wrote, "<span style="line-height: 1.4;">So you believe that dwell is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, and that this is unique to TT amount racketsports." This is nonsense; I said nothing like this. I chose my words very carefully, and you just changed my words and responded as if I'd said something else. This is what trolls do. </span>

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In my first posting here I said I shied away from posting in forums because of trolls. And posting after posting accused you of being a troll or the equivalent. I should have taken the hint. I'm not wasting any more time "debating" stuff with you because much of the stuff you write makes no sense, and much of the rests shows you don't really understand table tennis at a high level, and don't seem to have any inclination to learn as opposed to simply challenging others in an attempt to show your own supposed knowledge. It's too bad as some things you write make sense, but it comes under the category of "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing." And I see you are in thread after thread here. Alas. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">-Larry Hodges</span>

Larry H calling you a troll - Priceless. It's so funny that you don't know that you don't know.
[/QUOTE]
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 2:29am
What? Did you not clearly state above that dwell time is longer for soft shots AND power strokes? AND that what can be learned from tennis cannot be applied to this rather odd claim? Remember this was recorded above for posterity:

The tennis example is apples and oranges. If you want to maximize dwell time, of course you hit the ball softly. You probably get the most dwell time of all when pushing or serving with spin. The dwell time we are talking about is when you are using power and sinking the ball into the sponge.

There's no question that a looper increases his power (speed and spin) by increasing what appears to be dwell time on his racket.

The feeling of dwell time is well correlated with increased power (especially spin) among top players

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 1:49am

The feeling of dwell is not really a real thing but rather something that exists in someone's head so it's kind of hard to comment on. I don't mean that in any disparaging sense, that's just how it is.
What is your evidence for this?
-Larry Hodges

1. Tennis players describe the same feeling of more dwell for harder shots, yet we know harder tennis shots actually dwell less. It might not be the same for TT, but it illustrates the principle.

2. You can check the physiology of whether humans can meaningfully differentiate sub-millisec sensations. I'm quite sure not.

3. Feelings are very much a matter of the mind. Things without minds similar to ours do not have feelings. This is just how reality/language works.
The tennis example is apples and oranges.

How so? There are distinct differences but I wouldn't necessarily claim the TT player is so much smarter as to not make the same misjudgement.

Quote If you want to maximize dwell time, of course you hit the ball softly. You probably get the most dwell time of all when pushing or serving with spin. The dwell time we are talking about is when you are using power and sinking the ball into the sponge.

So you believe that dwell is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, and that this is unique to TT amount racketsports. Interesting.

Quote You used the example of "harder" shots when that's not what we're talking about in terms of table tennis power, which is speed AND spin. As I've posted, increasing the apparent dwell time affects spin even more; in fact, it gives so much spin that you can loop with more speed, using the extra spin to control the speed. 

Can you see the problem when you tautologically equate longer "apparent dwell time", which is a feeling not physically measurable, to some real physical phenomenon, and question anyone who claims the former may not be accurate? Note the burden of proof here isn't on me.

As to the millisec differences, how do you know they can't differentiate this? Have you cited a study? A person might not be able to react to something in a millisecond, but he might be able to feel it. There's a huge difference there. 

A millisecond is a very short period of time, so short that any "feeling" needs to be more akin its frequency rather than duration because we really have nothing to reference for events in human spans that short, except this is nonrepeating so no such luck. Member Baal here is supposed a pro at this so maybe has something to offer.

Your third example isn't evidence. 

-Larry Hodges

My third point is definitionally true.
Wow. You just said lots of argumentative stuff without actually saying much of anything, while misrepresenting what I wrote in an attempt to draw me into a whole series of trolling "debates," just as you do with others. Did you read what I wrote before responding? Just read, for example, your first two responses, which are nonsense - and if I respond (again) I'll just be dragged deeper into your trolling pit. 

For example, you wrote, "So you believe that dwell is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, and that this is unique to TT amount racketsports." This is nonsense; I said nothing like this. I chose my words very carefully, and you just changed my words and responded as if I'd said something else. This is what trolls do. 

In my first posting here I said I shied away from posting in forums because of trolls. And posting after posting accused you of being a troll or the equivalent. I should have taken the hint. I'm not wasting any more time "debating" stuff with you because much of the stuff you write makes no sense, and much of the rests shows you don't really understand table tennis at a high level, and don't seem to have any inclination to learn as opposed to simply challenging others in an attempt to show your own supposed knowledge. It's too bad as some things you write make sense, but it comes under the category of "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing." And I see you are in thread after thread here. Alas. 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 10/02/2013 at 2:12am
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 1:37am

The feeling of dwell is not really a real thing but rather something that exists in someone's head so it's kind of hard to comment on. I don't mean that in any disparaging sense, that's just how it is.
-Larry Hodges

1. Tennis players describe the same feeling of more dwell for harder shots, yet we know harder tennis shots actually dwell less. It might not be the same for TT, but it illustrates the principle.

2. You can check the physiology of whether humans can meaningfully differentiate sub-millisec sensations. I'm quite sure not.

3. Feelings are very much a matter of the mind. Things without minds similar to ours do not have feelings. This is just how reality/language works.
The tennis example is apples and oranges.

How so? There are distinct differences but I wouldn't necessarily claim the TT player is so much smarter as to not make the same misjudgement.

Quote If you want to maximize dwell time, of course you hit the ball softly. You probably get the most dwell time of all when pushing or serving with spin. The dwell time we are talking about is when you are using power and sinking the ball into the sponge.

So you believe that dwell is simultaneously longer on softer AND harder shots, and that this is unique to TT among racketsports. Interesting.

Quote You used the example of "harder" shots when that's not what we're talking about in terms of table tennis power, which is speed AND spin. As I've posted, increasing the apparent dwell time affects spin even more; in fact, it gives so much spin that you can loop with more speed, using the extra spin to control the speed. 

Can you see the problem when you tautologically equate longer "apparent dwell time", which is a feeling not physically measurable, to some real physical phenomenon, and question anyone who claims the former may not be accurate? Note the burden of proof here isn't on me.

As to the millisec differences, how do you know they can't differentiate this? Have you cited a study? A person might not be able to react to something in a millisecond, but he might be able to feel it. There's a huge difference there. 

A millisecond is a very short period of time, so short that any "feeling" needs to be more akin its frequency rather than duration because we really have nothing to reference for events in human spans that short, except this is nonrepeating so no such luck. Consider that even when we "feel" things very sharp/quick themselves (not differences), the sensation itself is hardly on that timescale but much longer just so it we can feel it. Member Baal here is supposed a pro at this so maybe has something to offer.

-Larry Hodges

My third point is definitionally true. 

Edited by AgentHEX - 10/02/2013 at 1:39am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 12:54am

-Larry Hodges

The tennis example is apples and oranges. If you want to maximize dwell time, of course you hit the ball softly. You probably get the most dwell time of all when pushing or serving with spin. The dwell time we are talking about is when you are using power and sinking the ball into the sponge. You used the example of "harder" shots when that's not what we're talking about in terms of table tennis power, which is speed AND spin. As I've posted, increasing the apparent dwell time affects spin even more; in fact, it gives so much spin that you can loop with more speed, using the extra spin to control the speed.  

-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 12:39am

-Larry Hodges

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

if it's a comparison between 2 rubbers it does not matter how much dwell they have; the only interesting factor is which has more or less depending what the person wants.

Sure, but which has more or less? I've certainly demonstrated where "experienced" or "respected" reviewers' accounts differ (might be for throw, but same difference that it's not worth checking).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic