FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

dwelltime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:23am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

It's simply another subjective term, just like 'throw', that's meaningless as an actual number,

No it isn't!!!! One can get a high speed camera a count the frames the ball is in contact with the paddle.  It is simple.

Yet this has little to do with what people are referring to as "dwell".

The ball doesn't care about what people feel.  The trajectory of the ball is not influenced by what people feel.  Only what actually happens affects the ball.

Sure, but people care about what people feel, and how people feel potentially influence their play.

Recall this is confusing due to two words/concepts that happen to be spelled the same.

Show me where dwell is a medical term used to describe how long a ball is in contact with the paddle.

Dwell as people define it seems to be some mix of various items discussed above. Note this is not the same definition as you use. Surely you can understand the concept of one spelling with different meanings given your reasonable proficiency with the english language.

You also don't need a high speed camera to measure dwell, just a reasonably accurate one.

An accelerometer would do if the sample rate is high enough.  What else would you propose?
Most are probably wondering WTF am I talking about.

My proposal was already mentioned above. With two sample points for an object, one can determine velocity and the rest is the classic trivial two trains meeting in the middle problem. As long as the samples are sufficiently accurate, it should be possible to determine exact time when both the ball contacts and leaves the bat. This is probably most easily done with fixed bat and camera, in which case only 4 total samples (frames) on ball are necessary, or 6 to account for likely insignificant aero if you want to be really retentive. Not necessarily perfectly accurate on rebound since we need to assume reconstitution of rubber, but certainly good enough for relative comparisons.

Edited by AgentHEX - 08/30/2013 at 3:35am
Sponsored Links

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 3:50am

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

It's simply another subjective term, just like 'throw', that's meaningless as an actual number,

No it isn't!!!! One can get a high speed camera a count the frames the ball is in contact with the paddle.  It is simple.

Yet this has little to do with what people are referring to as "dwell".

The ball doesn't care about what people feel.  The trajectory of the ball is not influenced by what people feel.  Only what actually happens affects the ball.

Sure, but people care about what people feel, and how people feel potentially influence their play.

I agree that people should use what they feel comfortable with but ignoring what is actually happening is putting your head in the sand.

Recall this is confusing due to two words/concepts that happen to be spelled the same.

Show me where dwell is a medical term used to describe how long a ball is in contact with the paddle.

Dwell as people define it seems to be some mix of various items discussed above. Note this is not the same definition as you use. Surely you can understand the concept of one spelling with different meanings given your reasonable proficiency with the english language.

Show me in a dictionary.  Show me that medical people use the term dwell the way Baal uses it.

You also don't need a high speed camera to measure dwell, just a reasonably accurate one.

An accelerometer would do if the sample rate is high enough.  What else would you propose?
Most are probably wondering WTF am I talking about.

My proposal was already mentioned above. With two sample points for an object, one can determine velocity and the rest is the classic trivial two trains meeting in the middle problem.

Show me.  It isn't that simple.

As long as the samples are sufficiently accurate, it should be possible to determine exact time when both the ball contacts and leaves the bat.

OK, I agree but why hasn't anybody done it?

This is probably most easily done with fixed bat and camera, in which case only 4 total samples (frames) on ball are necessary, or 6 to account for likely insignificant aero if you want to be really retentive.

i agree again to a point.  Why hasn't anybody done it?  If it were easy then someone should have made some high speed videos by now and calculated the dwell time.    I know why.  There are few people that can fit a system of differential equations to data.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 4:09am

I agree that people should use what they feel comfortable with but ignoring what is actually happening is putting your head in the sand.

What's actually happening is quite useless to a player in this case, but how a strike feels so you can predict its path is quite useful.

Show me in a dictionary.  Show me that medical people use the term dwell the way Baal uses it.

Language is defined via usage, not by diktat. That's basic linguistics, and quite obvious given that language existed well before dictionaries.

Also, Baal isn't "defining" the term, he's just guessing (however accurately or not) at what others feel/mean when they use the word.
Show me.  It isn't that simple.

What? You want a lesson on how to solve the train problem?

OK, I agree but why hasn't anybody done it?

Maybe they already had ready access to the fast camera, and that's more definitive given less assumptions of how the rubber moves along with host of information about impact other than dwell (magnitude of deformity, etc).

i agree again to a point.  Why hasn't anybody done it?  If it were easy then someone should have made some high speed videos by now and calculated the dwell time.    I know why.  There are few people that can fit a system of differential equations to data.

These are linear equations. The train problem is a "dummy" math joke for people really bad at math.

Smart people probably didn't bother with dwell time much because they know it's a pain in the ass regardless to collect for all range of speeds times range of angles, times #rubber times #blade combos for something that doesn't matter.

Edited by AgentHEX - 08/30/2013 at 4:12am
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 6:04am
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14333

This is where my 1000 fps came from.

Skipping seconds with the mouse over the runbar shows a filmic effect on itself.
That can,t be from one ms frame or two offcourse.

But also shows the filmic effect as much shorter then another second for watching the same part on the video. This must have the shorter filmic effect spread over this second.

To me this said and says it has more slow-mo technicques combined inside the camera (as a real camera and as a projektor to a screen, two funktions it combines).
Even with celluloid film there are different aspects influencing movietime (adapting images/meter celluloid, projektor runspeed as frequency and diameter of the rolled up film ....all combined). So this nothing spectacular on itself for this part.

10 fps display for this camera is plain japanese technical information.
It is what it is. Slower or faster to a clock or realtime, whatever that is (or not realtime would have to be), all doesn,t apply to these 10 fps because it simply would be less or more fps then (or the manual lies with this value).

No matter how or how much steps  it clearly has another slow mow rate of factor 100 before or after as 1000=10*100 (no units) or 1/10 * 1 /100 = 1/1000 (any clock-unit for physics).

Otherwise it has  0,01 sec/sec for science-fiction.

Edited by mercuur - 08/30/2013 at 7:09am

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 7:54am
AgentHEX is right about duration vs reaction time.  The conduction velocities simply mean that you cannot possibly react in time to make a change in what you are doing while the ball is still on your blade. Another measure of interest is that the maximum frequency of a vibrational stimulus that most people can detect with their hands is about 300 Hz (and still discern it as a "buzz").
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 7:55am
This idea of technical steps is way off maybe and asks too much for knowing the technicque inside. Even more for me.
But that doesn,t change that 10 fps lasting longer or shorter is science fiction.

But Casio wouldn,t inform buyers that bad -  I think -  that they would keep other slow-mo technicques out from a manual.  It,s too easy.
But I,m just reading manual information here and try to interpret it for this case. I would hope that,s allowed.  The question is what the slow-mo rate to use for correction on frames (or certain amount) is

What crossed my mind few times is the mathematical possibillity to go from 1 to 1000   as :
1 * 10/1 * 1000/10 = 1000.

Display has a frequency 10/1 and a frequency 1/10 combined toward the camera uptake and toward the screen. But 10/1 =>100/10 ....and 100/10*10/1=1000. 10 stands for ten frames.
How shooting film, processing and displaying ten frames relates to time is all different.
So it has the possibillity of systematic error.s or interpretation errors in relation between theory and practice.

As in this case for a tennisballbounce . http://home.comcast.net/~saintjohnboscooffice/images/martikean/articles/39.pdf

Edited by mercuur - 08/30/2013 at 10:34am

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14333

This is where my 1000 fps came from.

Skipping seconds with the mouse over the runbar shows a filmic effect on itself.
That can,t be from one ms frame or two offcourse.

But also shows the filmic effect as much shorter then another second for watching the same part on the video. This must have the shorter filmic effect spread over this second.

To me this said and says it has more slow-mo technicques combined inside the camera (as a real camera and as a projektor to a screen, two funktions it combines).
Even with celluloid film there are different aspects influencing movietime (adapting images/meter celluloid, projektor runspeed as frequency and diameter of the rolled up film ....all combined). So this nothing spectacular on itself for this part.

10 fps display for this camera is plain japanese technical information.
It is what it is. Slower or faster to a clock or realtime, whatever that is (or not realtime would have to be), all doesn,t apply to these 10 fps because it simply would be less or more fps then (or the manual lies with this value).

No matter how or how much steps  it clearly has another slow mow rate of factor 100 before or after as 1000=10*100 (no units) or 1/10 * 1 /100 = 1/1000 (any clock-unit for physics).

Otherwise it has  0,01 sec/sec for science-fiction.

How do I translate this into english? Google translate w/ auto-detect is of no help.
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 5:09pm
10 fps display doesn,t say a frame keeps corresponding to 1 msec for screenplay after the shoot.

Shooting an image in 0,001 sec doesn,t say that screenplaying can,t keep a single image in sight for much longer tp even an hour or complete standstill. 10 fps display is just the distribution frequency.
So I went to far also in trying to see things from this video.

For screenplay with slow motion distributing ten images of 0,001 sec each over 1 sec 
would show nothing for  0,99 second. That would be seeing a movie with 99 % seeing  nothing.
So the camera also must have a longer dwell for frames on the display screen..

Casio would adapt all this for best filmic effect and sharpness I suppose.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 5:19pm
Bet nobody anticipated it would be mercuur who goes and parodies mercuur.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 8:21pm
Maybe from a different angle: do different rackets have consistently different dwell times?
Now, be careful how you answer this. If you say no, you are in trouble. If you say yes, then you probably would admit that this information can be/is useful to TT players. Sorry...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Maybe from a different angle: do different rackets have consistently different dwell times?
Now, be careful how you answer this. If you say no, you are in trouble.
Why? To say two different paddles will not have an overlapping range of dwell times is nuts.  I bet there are a lot if not most paddles that have dwell times in the 1 millisecond range. What if the blade itself doesn't flex?  I have a Firewall Plus that is 9mm thick.  I don't think it flexes much if at all.

Originally posted by jacekGM jacekGM wrote:

If you say yes, then you probably would admit that this information can be/is useful to TT players. Sorry...
I can do the math well enough to make a pretty good estimation of the dwell time.  So I know so what?
Here is the big question.  How much does the dwell time vary?  Under what conditions does the dwell time vary?  ( impact speed and stopping distance have the greatest affect ).   I doubt the dwell changes that much during normal play so my question is can one feel the difference of 10 micro seconds or 100 micro seconds?  If one can't feel the small differences in dwell time then why bother?

It seems that these threads go round and round because no body does the math nor does anybody know if they can feel the difference.

OK,  I can feel the difference in extreme cases like between 0X pips and sponge but that is about it.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 12:53am

I can do the math well enough to make a pretty good estimation of the dwell time. 

It seems that these threads go round and round because no body does the math nor does anybody know if they can feel the difference.

Ok.  Show us.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I can do the math well enough to make a pretty good estimation of the dwell time. 

Ok.  Show us.

Everytime I have told you that this is pnatchwey, you have always said this cannot be him.  Believe me now?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 4:12am

The dwell as function of speed or whatever with exception of corner cases necessarily intersects at 0, so no?

tt4me's exasperated seemed kinda justified given I didn't even get past the first page of the linked last thread. It was like a reenactment of Dumb and Dumber only not funny.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 4:20am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ok.  Show us.

Everytime I have told you that this is pnatchwey, you have always said this cannot be him.  Believe me now?

Unfortunately it takes some level of introspection to play the satirical archetype game well. Consider the former "fundamentals" for the sport of mocking people.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 9:11am
One thing has almost escaped us: for a given racket the dwell time is a function of ball speed (in the experiment with flatly positioned racket, held in a hand-like clamp, that is hit by the ball in the center of the racket). The ball speed in this exercise should probably be similar to what it is in average, medium speed topspin drives (what is this speed, by the way, does anyone have the number?)
The superfast balance (or camera...Big smile) will have a much longer time to work on this than if the ball was slow. Now we are ready to go do the experiments!
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 10:48am
Pnacthway it is, except that he has lost his medications and has gotten worse.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 11:01am

Vibration modes is primarily function of bat materials (incl rubber) itself since shape is predetermined. Unless the handle is strange it shouldn't matter too much to main area the vibrations are created (in that if you just cut it off, the changes shouldn't be drastic) as long as there's solid connection to the hand.

Makes sense to me, especially the lower frequency components, which I suppose most people would sense as "blade stiffness".  Would that be true for all the frequency components of the vibrations?  Would a softer or more hollow handle have an effect on the transmission of these vibrations to the hand, for example would it tend to selectively filter out the higher frequency components?

Edited by Baal - 08/31/2013 at 11:02am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 11:50am
Dwell time  is the length of time the ball stays in contact with the blade and it depends on the nature of the collision between the ball and the blade, so it is a question for engineers and physicists and their cameras and equations and whatnot, and I am sure they can do this.  The one paper I have found where somebody actually looked at the collision (using a camera at 4500 frames per second and a blade hooked up to a golf swing robot) showed that it is far too short for anyone to do anything about it in the course of a single shot

Then there is the complex sensation that is evoked by the ball hitting the blade, which varies with equipment (and the shot being made too, obviously).  One aspect of that sensation is sometimes described as "dwell" by players.  If this sensation is reproducible, it would be useful to know what players are feeling (presumably vibrations in the handle and blade) and one would like to know the capabilities of player's sensory systems to actually discriminate between small changes in the stimulus.  I tried to mention some of those sensory capabilities, and it is clearly relevant to the discussion, even if tt4me doesn't think so.   

AgentHEX used the analogy of cars to talk about how when people talk about "fast" cars.  He  mentions it is not clear if they are talking about HP, torque, top speed, etc.  But those things are often interelated, and there is no doubt that anyone who has driven would reliably report that there is a difference between a BMW M3 and a Ford Fiesta.  Skilled drivers on a test track would discern the difference between the BMW M3 and the BMW 335, and what they report would be related in some way to HP and torque, and even topspeed if they pushed the cars.  Of course, the sense of acceleration is very different from what one perceives when one is driving really fast at a constant speed, so it is easy to feel those differences.  Table tennis sensations may be more subtle.

So, when players report a difference in "dwell" what are they actually measuring and is it a reliable measure?  When someone talks about dwell (personally I never do) is that different from a setup feeling "hard" or "soft" or "flexible" or "stiff"?  I agree with AgentHEX when he complains about it not being clear at all what people mean. 

Of course, then there is the completely different question of whether it matters.  Just like for getting to and from work in rush hour, you get there at exactly the same time if you drive the M3 or the 335 -- and the Fiesta too, if you don't ever have to floor it to make it through a yellow light.  Of course, there are times when it would matter.  Are you driving across the country?  Are you racing cars?  Trying to pick up chicks? Concerned about gas mileage?

I actually think that making changes between broadly similar classes of equipment has no meaningful effect on how you play once you get used to the different feel.  So if you switch from one composite blade to another -- from an ALC to a ZLC or from Tenergy to Bluefire -- it really won't matter.  You will feel the difference, you will get used to it, and if you continue to use one kind of equipment, this is the thing you will eventually like best. 

Making big changes does matter.  So when AgentHEX says that there is probably a 2200 player who can go from inverted to LP and only drop 100 points in level? Or to a clipboard??? I wouldn't want to say that such a player does not exist on this earth (for the inverted to LP change) but this person would have to play with both kinds of equipment frequently to keep those levels that similar, and even then it would be extremely unusual.  The implication of AgentHEX's statement that he can do it is that he is a very low level player who likes to call people noobs.  (Or alternatively a very very very high level player which seems less likely).  But he obviously knows a lot about engineering, so a lot of the other stuff he says is probably useful.

Edited by Baal - 08/31/2013 at 5:43pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 1:41pm

So, when players report a difference in "dwell" what are they actually measuring and is it a reliable measure?  When someone talks about dwell (personally I never do) is that different from a setup feeling "hard" or "soft" or "flexible" or "stiff"?  I agree with AgentHEX when he complains about it not being clear at all what people mean. 

Making big changes does matter. .
Baal,
a meaningful post, thank you. I do have some comments
(1) In the age of Google it is probably not too difficult for someone to pretend that he/she is very well versed in an area. I have seen it done on various occasions in science, and even in chess.
(2) From conversations at the club, and also my own idea is that "dwell time" reflects closely how long the ball stays associated with the racket; it is very short yet in majority of cases different for different rackets under differing conditions. Is this incorrect? I understand the time seems to be too short to be measured by the sensors in human hand, but how about if the ball traveled very fast before it hit the racket? Isn't it much longer in such case? Otherwise, indeed, we would be talking about the sensation of aftershocks/vibrations that dwell (!) in the racket after the ball left... I would say let's measure the racket-ball contact times at higher ball speeds reliably, and then we will have a better picture of what is really happening. Unless there are reliable results already published that I missed, in that case my apologies to everyone here.

Edited by JacekGM - 08/31/2013 at 1:42pm
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 6:15pm
No problem for me to parodie myself if necessary..
I could keep doing that until someone explains otherwise how  a camera with (only) 1000 fps can give a decent filmic illusion of dwellperiod when this has only 1 or 2 msec.
I'm all open for it.

Analogic a bladder book with pictures of donald duck.
Bladder the book at slower or faster rate. Donald could start running now. As slow or fast as someone would want or please. 
But what time would a picture represent ? The time it took to draw them by hand LOL ?

Fine .... but the time for X pictures drawing between two pictures stays the time for drawing x pictures. The bladderrate turning pages won,t affect that. 
The timerelation is simple that there is no relation. It,s called illusion or film.

The amount of frames matters more but even the camera frequency (or they could use more then one ?) is not relevant when the open time for a lenseshutter for each frame is less then 0,001 sec or when the frames are not timecontinuous otherwise.

So I would keep an eye on not confusing time with frequency.

Edited by mercuur - 08/31/2013 at 6:33pm

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 8:07pm

FINALLY! 
I just stopped believing the kind of low speeds suggested by my respectable predecessors here... and I actually googled "superfast camera". Here is the first hit I got: http://www.techimaging.com/photron .

Well, as I had expected, if we wanted to use a camera for our experiment, we can. The available speeds are muuuuuch higher (like 1000 000 frames per second..., yes that's in the area of microsecond shutter time) than the 1000 fps suggested by some. And this is just the first hit I looked at.

Come on, these days things are available out there...

I haven't googled superfast balance yet Wink.

Edited by JacekGM - 08/31/2013 at 8:23pm
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 9:25pm

FINALLY! 
I just stopped believing the kind of low speeds suggested by my respectable predecessors here... and I actually googled "superfast camera". Here is the first hit I got: http://www.techimaging.com/photron .

Well, as I had expected, if we wanted to use a camera for our experiment, we can.

Who are we?  Do you know how much those phroton cameras cost?  They are in the $100K range.  That will buy a few sheets of T05.

Maybe Baal can spare some of his grant money.

Then you must also spend even more money on lighting.  Without lighting one can't record at very short shutter times and if the shutter times are not short the images will blur.  All that lighting generates heat.  I wouldn't want to stand in that heat for too long.  Then there is the issue of even seeing the ball to swing at it when staring into all that lighting.

The available speeds are muuuuuch higher (like 1000 000 frames per second..., yes that's in the area of microsecond shutter time) than the 1000 fps suggested by some. And this is just the first hit I looked at.

Photron is top of the line.  That is what they use on TV programs.

Come on, these days things are available out there...

Yes, I have know that but they cost too much just to record some TT videos.  There would need to be some other reason to justify spending that kind of money.

I haven't googled superfast balance yet Wink.

You don't want a balance.  You want an accelerometer.   A very high speed accelerometer if you want to capture data 100K times a second.  Then you must have a way to get all that data to a PC quickly. 

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 10:28pm
@tt4me:
So, finally ... we got people to speak up here.... Thanks very much. 
I knew things like the Photron existed - after all, a bullet in flight has been a known image... They actually can record at shutter times below 300 nano secs.
"We" are the people who play TT and are interested in knowing a little more about ball-racket contact time. I would imagine that where-ever these cameras exist, they may be used on an occasion to record that TT related-experiment, without a need to pay much for this. I just weighed my blades again, using "our" analytical balance a few weeks ago, didn't have to pay for this...
About accelerometer... that is a different idea altogether, although interesting... 
These days any device that measures something somewhat elaborate comes with capability to send data to a computer , I wouldn't worry about that.
Although it is easy, with some technical knowledge, to list obstacles, for some people it is more fun to conceptually devise ways to overcome these. After all, we left the trees long time ago... When we work as "we", we will find means to accomplish Big smile.
batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Ok.  Show us.

I am with you, 100% sure this is pnatchwey. Checked his profile, his name is Peter.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 12:54am
I tried to do the same but could not reproduce; agenthex is not peter in his profile; only 'death pickle' on which maybe a baal deity plans to build a church of dwell; after all, it really seems dwell is only a matter of faith and therefore should not be discussed per forum rules.

<slappingforehead> how good a point is that??? </slappingforehead>
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 1:16am
fatt, 
someone did start this thread, people contributed their ideas, physical concepts have been discussed and some progress about how to measure the time of ball-racket contact has been made, so maybe all this isn't that inappropriate and perplexing, at least not just yet?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 1:23am
did I sound that serious?
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 1:30am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

did I sound that serious?
No, sorry, you sounded great. I was afraid you would close this thread right away...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 1:45am
I would never do that on my own on a thread where it's not 100% obvious that it should be closed; I actually have nothing against this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
  Share Topic