FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tin Arc 3 Review (update)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tin Arc 3 Review (update)
    Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:41pm
I can start off by describing the rubber:

1.  Sponge is porous very similar to Tenergy 05, which I am currently using for my backhand.  It's about 90% identical, so I wouldn't be surprise if DHS is using a similar technology.
2.  Color is a little more red than Tenergy 05.  If they were the same color, I don't think people would be able to tell the difference between the sponges.
3.  Bounce.  It's a little strange, but I would say Tenergy 05 is higher.  The rubbers are set on the Allround40, a blade with a hard feel.
4.  On a scale of 1-5 for tackiness, I give this rubber a 1 (maybe even less).  For a "DHS" rubber, this is probably the least tacky.  I am also comparing this with my provincial H3 and National Globe 999. I mean, it kinda reminds me of Tackifire in terms of tackiness, but maybe even less than that.  I wonder if Gold Arc is like that. 
5.  I don't think this rubber is glossy like most Chinese rubbers I came across.
6.  Hardness - very similar to Tenergy 05, but Tin Arc 3 might me slightly softer.  Even softer than my H3.  When I press the rubber with my fingers, it feels very much like Tenergy 05.

I will give it a go possibly on Friday and then I will let you guys know more about it.  I hope this is the FH rubber I'm looking for. 

Day 1:
So far I like this rubber even though I only spent like half an hour today.  The sponge seems a bit soft for my taste.

Day 2:
All man, I've been playing nothing but choppers lately and I guess that's a good thing.  I love to loop and loop kill against choppers and to be honest, TinArc 3 does a pretty good job at it.  When compared to H3 Pro and even Nat 999, TinArc is faster but not as spinny.  The Spin is where you need add a little bit yourself when you want more, especially if you are used to rubbers like H3.  I honestly feel that the rubber is bit soft, so I constantly find myself wishing it was a bit harder and even a bit tackier.  Throw angle is actually lower than H3 from the way I look at it, which I kinda like.  Counterattacking mid distance is superb.   I haven't tried counterattacking far away from the table, but I do find lobs a little less responsive to the opponent's ball (well, the kid wasn't adding enough power on his shots).  This rubber is great for blocking from backhand to forehand.  I personally find that my shots were a little more consistent when compared to my H3 Pro.

Ok, I had the chance to try Tenergy 80 and 64x tonight just for a little bit.  I absolutely loved the feel of Tenergy 80 for my forehand.  64X was just too soft for me, but it worked well for flat hitting and blocking, while Tenergy 80 simply had more to offer in terms of gears.  You are probably wondering why I'm bringing this up and yes, there's a reason for that.  A lot of people have said that TinArc series is like a Tenergy rubber with a tacky topsheet and some even compared it with T05.  To be quite honest, T05 and TinArc 3 are two different rubbers in terms of feel.  T05 has a harder and springy feel, which TinArc 3 sort of lacks.  TinArc 3 isn't as fast as T05, but it is fast for a Chinese rubber.  IMO, I wouldn't recommend TA3 for starters (maybe a little hard for them to control), especially if s/he doesn't have the right technique yet.  What about T80 you ask? You are not going to believe me, but TA3 feels more like a distant cousin of T80.  Yes, in terms of feel and throw angle in loops, TA3 feels more like a slower version of T80.  When the TA3 starts biting, it feels very similar to T80.  

I remember watching Brian Pace's review on TA3 and I somewhat agree about the amount of spin/power you add on the ball as you probably have the tendency to over do it.  This is where you need to practice a little, so that you become a little more familiar with the rubber on what it can do.  Maybe the weight of rubber does affect your strokes slightly because I do find TA3 a bit lighter than H3 Pro.

Maybe I should give TinArc I a try someday, but I actually hope that DHS continues to make more improvements on the new line of the Arc series.  Maybe they should consider on a TinArc2 with a tackier topsheet and slightly harder sponge.

Edited by O! Ju Qian - 09/15/2013 at 3:36am
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
Sponsored Links

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:56pm
I switched from Tenergy 05 to Tin Arc 3 on my forehand (black) recently (this summer). My two cents...

I like the Tin Arc 3 because it's more forgiving. Has good spin and a bit less speed than Tenergy 05. Tenergy 05 is a rocket. Tin Arc 3 is a bit easier to control but is still spinny. YMMV.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

I switched from Tenergy 05 to Tin Arc 3 on my forehand (black) recently (this summer). My two cents...

I like the Tin Arc 3 because it's more forgiving. Has good spin and a bit less speed than Tenergy 05. Tenergy 05 is a rocket. Tin Arc 3 is a bit easier to control but is still spinny. YMMV.

thanks for sharing.  I am really dying to try this baby.

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 7:29pm
Gold arc 3 is more of euro rubber, hardly tacky well maybe tiny bit far less than TA3 . its also good bit softer
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 8:27pm
I have TA3 on HHao3 as RPB rubber. It has some tack as DHS called it "sticky and roughness". They said it has combine tack with no tack (Chinese + Euro/Jap) so in theory it is the best of both world. It looks like Tenergy but don't expect any more similarity. You still needs to put all your power into your shots like using Chinese than Euro/Jap. I have not boost so tuner may help. TA3 is about 55% the cost of GA3 in China so not sure why it is so expensive elsewhere. BTW I have used 3 non-tacky DHS rubbers. Memo 2, Dipper 3 and TNT.

Edited by TurboZ - 09/11/2013 at 8:29pm
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 8:52pm
I thought there was a new version called Tin Arc 3 Mini... 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 9:16pm
how much is this?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

how much is this?

parents got it for me from China for about 30 dollars a sheet.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 11:49pm
All the DHS "arc" series rubbers are really quite good and definitely under the radar, not a lot of people playing with them or talking about them.

I used Tin Arc 2.1 black on the forehand for 4 months or more on clipper CR.  This has the hardest, tackiest topsheet of the "arc" rubbers with a crumbly, fairly firm tenergy-like orange sponge.  Was an easy transition from h3, I got more spin on serves and opening loops, easier control, had a lot of fun.  Two small beefs as a die-hard H3 user always looking for the replacement - tin arc throws lower, and isn't as spinny when hitting hard.  The pips are taller, and spaced closer together compared to H3.  Big advantages besides already mentioned - no ordering "provincial" rubber from strange places and wondering if its real, excellent consistent quality every time, durable and long lasting with a little care...

The low throw and less spin eventually caused me to shift back to H3.  DHS could potentially change the world just by taking the H3 topsheet and putting it on the crumbly tin arc sponge.

I tried tin arc 3 very briefly - it wasn't the forehand rubber for me, softer topsheet, less "chinese" and sponge felt softer too but it might have just been the topsheet.  Still its great stuff.  I gave it to a clubmate and he loves it.

I take a long hiatus from table tennis and get back to it in the last few months.  Put a sheet of gold arc on my backhand (clipper CC).  What a great rubber.  Feels firmer than I remember tin arc 3 being but maybe that's just me.  Lively, easy opening loops, but with the short game and consistent block of a chinese rubber.  My sheet has lasted all these months and now I'm trying to "graduate" to something faster, still EJing a bit, will let you know.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2013 at 12:40am
I have been playing with TinArc 3 for the last 1 week.
To be honest, it plays like a boosted H3 without tack (thus a bit faster) and a lot lower throw.
What kills it for me is the thick yet soft topsheet which holds the ball forever.
It lacks the crispness of a chinese rubber on hard shots and has the bounciness of euro rubbers on slow shots. I would think it is the worst of both worlds :(

I guess I'll try GA3 when this sheet wears off.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2013 at 3:25am
There are already fake TA3 going around in TB so it is not safe as most think.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2013 at 3:24am
bump

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2013 at 2:15am
TA3 is okay. better sponge than H3 and TG3. topsheet is not that tacky and not as durable. but as it doesn't rely on tackiness, it can be played for awhile. 

medium-slow speed, slightly faster than H3 Neo. control rubber. not designed for off the table offense
medium hard. noticeably softer than H3 Neo. most top players will prefer this for the bh
quality is consistent.
value for price at $35 is just fair. 

Edited by kurokami - 09/16/2013 at 2:20am
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2013 at 3:36pm
Update. Tin Arc 3 requires regluing now and then to play normally. Otherwise it becomes too soft and unresponsive.

Have tried it with legal water based glue and older types of glue. In either case, I believe it plays much better if you take off the old glue and reglue every week.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2013 at 4:21pm
@ O! Ju Qian - stop stealing my T80 and T64FX!
tjafsaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjafsaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2013 at 4:38pm
I'm playing with TA3 on my forehand, allthough I've superprimed it before attaching it. So it's still a bit more alive than it will be soon. 

After about 4-5 hours with it I can say that after coming back from TG3 -> H2 I find the TA3 to be almost as easy to loop vs underspin, but tacky = cheats imo..

Touch play with a viscaria is a delight to play with, even better than my 2.0 R7Soft, which i've found to be my new BH rubber (f**k Tenergies :>). Easy to control the balldepth and amount of spin, especially the sidespins. Can't really say much about flipping, as the only people in my club that bothers with touchplay isn't really giving me low enough balls/spinny enough, so I end up smacking the shit out of them instead.

General topspin vs topspin/nospin is easy to load with spin and speed, as it doesn't have that overly bouncy feel of the Sigma/Calibra/Tenergy. It generally behaves like a little bit of a powerup instead of the powerinhibitor I feel the other rubbers are. I can use all the force I can generate without feeling that the ball will go too far.

Will come back with more input tomorrow as I guess the priming will wear off a tad more, which will show the real performance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic