Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic bluefire M1 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic bluefire M1 review
    Posted: 10/03/2013 at 9:18am
I finally got to test m1 seriously. :) I tried it a few times previously, but it was too hard and I did not have the skill to use it. So i stuck with m2. But after m2 and mxp started failing me in counterloop (my technique has improved; BTW I am currently n. 260 in my country) I gave it another try, and now I can appreciate its reliability. I will regret saying this but... guys, I think this rubber is final. Tongue I mean, it has everything.

So here is my review, which contains comparisons with mxp, t05, m2, and rakza 9.

I am reviewing the max version, black and red. (there are differences, see below).

----

Bluefire m1: the ultimate fh rubber for advanced or pro players.

Most notable feature: m1 holds up well when you counterloop with a lot of power; when you miss, you know it is your fault; to the contrary, with mxp or m2, often you feel like it was the rubber which did not hold up to the power. Only t05 is as reliable as m1 in this regard.

Style of play: rubber only for the forehand of very good (advanced or pro) powerloopers who consistently hit very hard and never need controlled loops.

in particular, when you have a dead ball (i.e. a flat ball or a slow block), with m1 you can only
1) kill with a powerloop (which will be low over the net; so you need to have the precision); or

2) make a loop with a lot of brush and a lot of power; (not a brush loop, but a loop where the brush component is large)

you can never do a controlled loop, or a controlled loop-drive, like you would with m2. if you try, the ball won't sink in the sponge and it will fall.

to summarize: with m1 you always need to use a lot of power; but, against dead balls, most of this power must go into brushing.

Comparison with m2 and m3:

m2: on fh this is for intermediate loopers, who do not consistently hit with all their power, and need to generate spin in controlled loops with medium power.

m3: bh rubber for amateur loopers who try to loop the receive, so they need be able to play controlled loops with little power and thin contact.

hardness: for black version: m1 has a hard sponge and hard topsheet. the rubber is harder than t05; harder than mxp; much harder than m2; harder than rakza 9. as hard as dhs rubbers (but faster). --- As a result, the ball won't sink in controlled loops, so you don't get spin in rally with half power. you only get spin when you hit very hard. red version: the red topsheet is softer. the difference with black is quite noticeable. M1 red feels much more similar to Mxp. However, it retains the counterloop reliability of black, and is still more reliable than mxp.

Speed: for the black version: much faster than MXP, T05. Much faster than Rakza 9. M2 can be faster at medium power, but is slower in counterloops at full power. red version: red is slower.
The difference with black is again very noticeable. M1 red is more or less as fast as MXP.

Block: with m1 it can be difficult to block. (because the throw depends a lot on the power of the incoming loop). OTOH, it is meant for the forehand of good players, who never block with fh, but counterloop. :)

Loops: the upside: counterloop with m1 is very reliable, whereas rubbers such as m2 and mxp are not. The only rubbers I know which are as realiable as m1 in counterloop are T05, and DHS rubbers. --- The downside is that loops are difficult, because the throw depends a lot on how much the ball sinks, and therefore on the speed of the incoming loop. So you have to pay a lot of attention to the speed of the incoming loop, not only to its spin. (this is different from m2. )

throw angle: low when the ball does not sink in the sponge, medium-high when it does. a bit lower than t05 and mxp. higher than rakza 9. Like m2 but with differences due to hardness.

comparison with mxp: m1 is a lot more reliable and consistent at high power. mxp becomes unpredictable counterlooping at high power; with m1, if you miss it's your fault. mxp has slightly higher throw, as I said (but it is of little use, because it seems to randomly flatten at high power).

comparison with rakza 9: m1 is similar to rakza 9, but harder, especially the topsheet, faster, and higher throw.

compared with m2, m1 is much harder and more reliable in counterloop.

m1 works great on clipper wood, a stiff and soft blade.

Edited by seguso - 10/04/2013 at 4:18pm
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2013 at 10:56am
I can not play the M1 with clipper at all.  The throw is too low, and when I try to clear the net, ball usually goes off the table Smile.  I play ok if I play far away from the table, but clipper is better close to the table imo.  I like m1 on HK, or TB ALC, it's still a little too fast, specially after the rubber is a month old, but by that time I kind of get used to the speed LOL.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 7:30am
I have a m1 on a Primorac Carbon FH,when i loop kill and i  hit you i can make the ball penetrate youself and get out from your back :)
This is how powerful is this rubber,
on my last training i broke around 8 balls, (tibhar basic)

I am wondering what will happend if i tune it with 2-3 layers of my falco long booster .
Incredible rubber,much better than tenergy 05 & 64 on FH.

i am talkin about not tuned ,i dont concern about how much it weight.i can play with any paddle at any grams

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 7:46am
Great review seguso! Thumbs Up
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 10:21am
Thanks. I've updated the review to better highlight the differences between black and red, which are unfortunately quite noticeable. Red is softer and slower, and not by little. Fortunately, it is equally reliable in counterloop.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 12:50pm
Seguso, which thickness of M1 are you using?
2.0 or Max?
I tried my friend's M2 on Viscaria, it's pretty good...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 1:13pm

Seguso,

Wait until the booster wears off ;).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 4:03pm
@peter79:

Sorry, I am using max.

my rule of thumb: 2.0 on fh if you are just starting counterloop close to table. 2.0 on bh if you are starting banana flip. But after 6 months tops, go max.

@nextLevel:

This is puzzling: my black m1 is one month used, and has been open for 4 months. It is now still fast; slower than when it was new, but still fast. How fast? A bit faster than my new red m1! (Opened two days ago.)

Also, I have another red m1, bought used, which is incredibly slow, like a H3 untuned.

It is hard to find a logic in this. It seems the black rubber is faster and more long-lasting.

Edited by seguso - 10/04/2013 at 4:05pm
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

@peter79:

Sorry, I am using max.

my rule of thumb: 2.0 on fh if you are just starting counterloop close to table. 2.0 on bh if you are starting banana flip. But after 6 months tops, go max.

I tried my friend M2, it's not Max, probably 2.0
He use 3 layer of Finezip, so the sponge feel is very solid, not mushy.
For me 2.0 is already good, it has dwell, if I max I afraid, I can't feel the ball because it's too thick.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:33am
seguso have you tried JP 01, if you have could you make a comparison between M1.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 2:20am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

seguso have you tried JP 01, if you have could you make a comparison between M1.

not yet sorry. maybe on bh someday.

I read it has lower throw than the bluefires, and less catapult. and the hardness is inbetween m1 and m2. From this description it is difficult to say how it differs from acuda.
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

<span itemprop="deion" ="deion"="">
</span><span itemprop="deion" ="deion"="">in particular, when you have a dead ball (i.e. a flat ball or a slow block),
with m1 you can only
</span>
<span itemprop="deion" ="deion"="">1) kill with a powerloop (which will be low over the
net; so you need to have the precision); or

2) make a loop with a lot of brush and a lot of power; (not a brush loop, but a loop where the brush component is large)</span>
<span itemprop="deion" ="deion"="">
</span>
<span itemprop="deion" ="deion"=""></span>

Seguso, you can also hit.

I found M1 is an outstanding hitting rubber.

I was away from table tennis for almost 20 years and despite being a jpen player earlier I play most shakehand nowadays, but last weekend we had a tournament in my club so I turned to my one ply hinoki blade with M1 because I still can play better with a jpen even without practicing with it.

The M1 felt really great and I could frequently hit opening loops and attack dead balls with consistency over the table. It's a very good looping rubber from mid to long distance, but you can also hit without much brushing when close to the table.

I don't feel like I get a lot of spin from this rubber just brushing the ball without getting the sponge to work, so I found it safer to drive/hit hard than brush loop when close to the table.

I still don't have my strokes and my time back, but I was able to win my four matches putting pressure on my opponents all the time.

Edited by Nasche - 05/13/2016 at 2:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic