Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review
    Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:14pm
Joola Rosskopf Emotion FL 86 gr.
Tenergy 05 2.1 FH
Tenergy 64 2.1 BH

About the reviewer:
I play an offensive game on both wings. I have no rating in the US, a moderate estimate would be 2300 I think. My loops have more spin as compared to players of the same level. My short game is below average and my open game is clearly above average.

Test setup:
Joola Rossi Emotion FL 86 gr. with T05 2.1 on the FH and T64 2.1 on the BH. These are my standard rubbers (other rubbers that I have used within the last year and feel comfortable with are Tibhar Evolution MX-P on the FH and Tibhar 1Q on the BH, Bluefire M2 on both FH and BH). Total weight is 184 gr. By now, I have played six times with this setup about 1 1/2 hours each.

Appearance:
The craftsmanship is very high, no less than top notch butterfly blades, and this for half the price. The blade is roughly 6 mm thick, has a slightly shorter head as compared to a TBS (1 or 2 mm less). The composition is Hinoki-Koto-Carbon-Ayous-Carbon-Koto-Hinoki according to Joola. The top Hinoki veneer is relatively thin as compared to e.g. a Primorac Carbon, so is the carbon layer. The handle is comparable to the handle of the Butterfly ZJK ALC. It is slightly fatter than the one of a TBS and more comfortable in my opinion.

Feel:
The Emotion blade has a nice soft and solid feel to it. It is clearly softer than a TBS or Viscaria and has more dwell, in particular at low impact speed. There are very little vibrations. Given that the feel is different from the Butterfly ALC blades that I'm used to, it's hard to say whether there are more or less vibrations as compared to e.g. a Viscaria. In terms of feel, I would describe it as a mixture of Viscaria and Photino, but more woody than both of them.

Flex:
The Jolla Rossi Emotion is almost stiff, comparable to a TBS. The Emotion is perhaps a tiny bit more flexible.

Speed:
I would rate the speed of the blade OFF- or OFF. The blade is fast but not exceedingly so. It is clearly slower than the Butterfly ALC blades of TBS type (which I would rate as solid OFF), most notable in the low gears. If you swing harder, the speed difference is less notable.

Control:
The definition of the control of a blade is a bit difficult, because it has a very subjective component to it. For me, the control I have with this blade is very high, because for me it has a very good mixture of feel and speed. If it was significantly faster, my anyway not so good short game would deteriorate. If it was significantly slower, I would need to swing harder from half distance and my efficiency and solidness in the open game would go down. For me and in average, control is a bit above Butterfly ALC level.

Spin capability:
Very high. Serves and opening loops against under-spin can really be loaded. In the open game, spin capabilities are perhaps a bit below ALC level, because the ALC blades tend to bite more when you swing hard. The Joola Rossi Emotion blade plays spinnier than a Photino in all aspects.

---------------------

Looping:
Here the blade really shines. It's very controlled, has enough speed and loads of spin. When swinging really hard, I prefer the Viscaria, otherwise, the Rossi Emotion is my favorite. The arc is a bit higher than with the ALC blades at low speed, and about the same at high speed. The Rossi emotion is perhaps a tad less linear.

Blocking:
I'm not particularly good at blocking, but for me this is blade is very good at blocking. It's less crisp than the ALC blades, which may be considered as a bad thing by many, but for me so far it helps. Spin blocks are very easy for me to play with this blade.

Short game:
As I said, the short game (in particular returning serves short and flicking of short returns after my serves) is a week spot in my game. With it's lower speed in the low gears and its soft feel and high dwell, the blade is very nice in the short game. For me personally, it may be the best ever. If there was no short game, I would prefer the Viscaria, simply because there is nothing that feels like it a meter or two away from the table. Given that table tennis starts with serve and continues with return, it's really close between the two blades (Emotion and Viscaria).

Conclusions:
This blade certainly makes it to my top 3 of all times. If you think that a TBS/ Viscaria is slightly too hard and fast, give this one a try. If you like the Photino but think that it is too thick and stiff, give the Emotion a try. I think that if this blade was made by Butterfly, it would be very very popular for a good reason!

Edited by High_Arc - 10/05/2013 at 4:50pm
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:50pm
thank you for a wonderful review.

jcdi says a lot of good things about that blade; I can't wait for his contribution. the blade has been on my radar for a while :)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 2:40pm
Joola USA released that movie about it:

As mentioned in the review and including in the movie is the composition:

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 3:39pm

This blade was formerly known as Joola Markovic. Rade Markovic who developped it is now product manager for Joola. He then decided to rename it as Rossi Emotion, hoping to boost sales with Mr German table tennis name. I have tested and adopted this blade a year ago. We are now 20 members on the french forum to use it. I agree with most of High_arc review except I find it to be a solid Off, not Off-. The blade provides a unique feeling of stiffness and softness at the same time. Almost no vibration at all. It's good for everything, well balanced, handles are most comfy. Except ST, that I don't like much,  AN, CO and FL are really great. Weight is between 82gr to 88gr. Very consistent performance. I have 5 of them plus 1 Markovic and they all play the same. As mentioned above, it feels like a photino but a tiny bit softer and slower.

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 7:18pm

Sounds like a great blade JC. A "softer, slower Photino.....nice.Smile

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 11:32pm
Very informative, thanks.
batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 6:58am
Thanks High_Arc.
I always enjoy reading your reviews.
BTW, what is your opinion on Evo MX-P?
I'm playing this at the moment both sides and love it. I just feel after one month it's different to when new. The glue effect is not as strong - must be the booster wearing off. But I still really like it even as it is now.
Did you notice any performance drop while you played MX-P?
Again, thanks a lot for the review.

batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 7:03am
Also, I only play twice a week for around 2-3 hours each time. So my MX-P has had about 8 sessions and maybe 20 hours or so of playtime.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by batt batt wrote:

Thanks High_Arc.
I'm playing this at the moment both sides and love it. I just feel after one month it's different to when new. The glue effect is not as strong - must be the booster wearing off. But I still really like it even as it is now.

Hi batt,
Many thanks!
The Evo MX-P is a really great rubber in my opinion. It's the first rubber that is actually used instead of Tenergy at the highest level (at significantly lower level like mine, rubbers like Bluefire and Acuda are also fairly common).
I also observed that the MX-P changes it's characteristics, it becomes a bit harder and slower as time goes by in my opinion. This seems to be a continuous process in my opinion, as compared to T05, where it feels like a step process (i.e. softer and airier when new, harder after a few days or so, then it simply remains the same), which would support the idea that it is the booster wearing off.
I personally prefer both Evo and Tenergy when they are NOT brand new (with the exception of really hard MX-Ps). I used to kill the surface of the MX-P fast enough that the difference between an old and a new sheet wasn't larger than it was with a new and an old Tenergy.
I'm still torn between MX-P and T05 on my FH. I don't really care if I spend a dollar or two more or less (CHF actually...), but the MX-P tends to be 2-3 gr heavier and my racket weight is already on the heavy side (at least when I use Viscaria).
Actually I'm considering using MX-P on the FH when my T05 has to be replaced, because the Rossi Emotion is a bit lighter, softer and slower than my Viscaria(s). It could be a perfect match with the slightly harder and faster MX-P, in particular because the MX-P isn't much faster in the low gears, if at all.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Originally posted by batt batt wrote:

Thanks High_Arc.

Hi batt,
Many thanks!
The Evo MX-P is a really great rubber in my opinion. It's the first rubber that is actually used instead of Tenergy at the highest level (at significantly lower level like mine, rubbers like Bluefire and Acuda are also fairly common).
I also observed that the MX-P changes it's characteristics, it becomes a bit harder and slower as time goes by in my opinion. This seems to be a continuous process in my opinion, as compared to T05, where it feels like a step process (i.e. softer and airier when new, harder after a few days or so, then it simply remains the same), which would support the idea that it is the booster wearing off.
I personally prefer both Evo and Tenergy when they are NOT brand new (with the exception of really hard MX-Ps). I used to kill the surface of the MX-P fast enough that the difference between an old and a new sheet wasn't larger than it was with a new and an old Tenergy.
I'm still torn between MX-P and T05 on my FH. I don't really care if I spend a dollar or two more or less (CHF actually...), but the MX-P tends to be 2-3 gr heavier and my racket weight is already on the heavy side (at least when I use Viscaria).
Actually I'm considering using MX-P on the FH when my T05 has to be replaced, because the Rossi Emotion is a bit lighter, softer and slower than my Viscaria(s). It could be a perfect match with the slightly harder and faster MX-P, in particular because the MX-P isn't much faster in the low gears, if at all.

+1 on all of this, especially the preference for these rubbers once they are about a week old, except I have definitely decided I prefer T05 over MX-P for FH on a Viscaria. 

On another issue, it is interesting that Joola blades are often a bit smaller in the head, it seems like a way to increase speed of the blade using materials that would otherwise be a bit slower. 
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

On another issue, it is interesting that Joola blades are often a bit smaller in the head, it seems like a way to increase speed of the blade using materials that would otherwise be a bit slower. 

Agree, could be to increase the speed of the blade. I don't know how much difference 1 or 2 mm less length in head size make though.

Could also be a historical thing. Joola decided to make blades with a certain size at some point and never really thought about it going forward...

What I like about it though:
With the new generation rubbers, which tend to be on the heavy side, it removes some of the head heaviness. Maybe it's just imagination, but I think this is among other things why I prefer the Viscaria over e.g. the Boll ALC: because of its slightly thicker handle and larger wings, the blade is a bit less head heavy. I strongly prefer heavy Tenergys or MX-Ps over lighter versions, but dislike the additional weight it put on the head.

Anyways, the Joola Rossi Emotion to me seems to be a blade that so far didn't get the attention it deserves.
I still believe: Was this blade made by Butterfly and would have a 175 USD price tag, there would be many more people using it.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Agree, could be to increase the speed of the blade. I don't know how much difference 1 or 2 mm less length in head size make though.

Could also be a historical thing. Joola decided to make blades with a certain size at some point and never really thought about it going forward...

What I like about it though:
With the new generation rubbers, which tend to be on the heavy side, it removes some of the head heaviness. Maybe it's just imagination, but I think this is among other things why I prefer the Viscaria over e.g. the Boll ALC: because of its slightly thicker handle and larger wings, the blade is a bit less head heavy. I strongly prefer heavy Tenergys or MX-Ps over lighter versions, but dislike the additional weight it put on the head.

Anyways, the Joola Rossi Emotion to me seems to be a blade that so far didn't get the attention it deserves.
I still believe: Was this blade made by Butterfly and would have a 175 USD price tag, there would be many more people using it.

I think 1 mm can actually make a difference in speed as well as weight, based  on one time when I shaved down a blade about that much.  But you are right, I think the head shape has always been  a Joola thing that they kind of do automatically these days.  It is always good to call attention to good blades at a good price.  I am going to see if someone here has one I can hit with.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:27pm
nice review. 

I never got used to hinoki. Too bouncy for me. I prefer same construction but with limba instead of hinoki on top.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:27pm

I think 1 mm can actually make a difference in speed as well as weight, based  on one time when I shaved down a blade about that much.  But you are right, I think the head shape has always been  a Joola thing that they kind of do automatically these days.  It is always good to call attention to good blades at a good price.  I am going to see if someone here has one I can hit with.

Did you try it with a Viscaria? I should try once as well...
But then I absolutely hate doing anything to my equipment that keeps it from looking brand new. This is also mainly why I change rubbers more frequently than I have to. It's fairly stupid but I can't help it...

Would be great if you could have a hit with a Rossi Emotion once. Would greatly appreciate your opinion!
I would guess that you would really like the characteristics but not so much the feel, because it doesn't really feel like an ALC blade.

For me, I served way better from the very beginning as compared to when I used the Viscaria. I'm not known as a particularly good server, but people were approaching me and telling me that my serves were really good lately, and that they had problems returning them with high quality (without knowing anything about a new blade). I never got such feedback before.

In the open game, I still prefer Butterfly ALC blades though, except for blocking. I will find out next weekend in our league matches whether I'm comfortable with the Rossi emotion in real match situations or not. Three more trainings before that, not too many in total...

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:33pm
No, I did it to a Mazunov.  I once disfigured a Viscaria by trimming away some of the wings, though.  I vowed to never again disfigure such a blade in the future  Cry

One of the coaches at my club sells Joola blades, so there must be at least one around somewhere.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

nice review. 

I never got used to hinoki. Too bouncy for me. I prefer same construction but with limba instead of hinoki on top.

thanks!

It's not a bouncy blade at all. The Hinoki top ply is very thin, there is a thin ply of Koto right beneath, then Carbon.
In my opinion, all that the Hinoki does is adding a softer feel and a lot of spin.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2013 at 11:00pm
I AM IN THE CLUB!!! now it's a waiting game Big smile
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why no love for the Mizutani anymore?

Back to this Emotion: I'm (hopefully) out of the EJing business but I wonder if this blade is similar to the Arirang - 2 outer wood layers including a Hinoki outer, carbon-based blade with a Ayous core.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why no love for the Mizutani anymore?

Back to this Emotion: I'm (hopefully) out of the EJing business but I wonder if this blade is similar to the Arirang - 2 outer wood layers including a Hinoki outer, carbon-based blade with a Ayous core.

EJing is a disease - fatt is incurable.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:20am
why keeping a nice used mizutani when selling it I can buy close to 3 rossi emotion? (mmmh where?)
the mj is one of the best blades ever but it is still too fast for me; I make too many mistakes; my level went down in the last 2 years and I can't really handle it now.
I am trying to slow down again with relatively fast rubbers; hopefully regular nimbus (I expect that rubber to feel good on the fh on that blade) and nimbus soft (it might be mushy on the hinoki outer but I already have that rubber) on the emotion will satisfy me; it's a gamble.
next will be the joola rhyzm max and 2.0 on the emotion. I have been wanting to try that rubber for a while.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 6:02am
I also ordered one :)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 10:38am
by the way I ordered mine from there; it's the best price I could find ($50 a apiece is about 50% down from all other sites I visited). I hope it's not a mistake and that the order will be honored.
http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 10:41am

by the way I ordered mine from there; it's the best price I could find ($50 a apiece is about 50% down from all other sites I visited). I hope it's not a mistake and that the order will be honored.
http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

me too from there
big View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:38pm
Before using Joola emotion , I had Butterfly Jon. H-II. After using this new blade for  3 hrs/day , for 7 days , finding it difficult to control the forehand drive ( acuda S2 on FH). Should I revert back to Butterfly Jon. H-II  or may be it will take longer time to adapt to newer blade?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 1:09pm
Stick with it for awhile longer.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by big big wrote:

Before using Joola emotion , I had Butterfly Jon. H-II. After using this new blade for  3 hrs/day , for 7 days , finding it difficult to control the forehand drive ( acuda S2 on FH). Should I revert back to Butterfly Jon. H-II  or may be it will take longer time to adapt to newer blade?

I thought once you get used to the Jon. H-II, you are ready for anything :)  The Jon. H-II is not an easy blade to play with imo.
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2013 at 12:42am
This is a great blade for control and spin play, it's one of those blades which has a good balance and despite being carbon which usually adds more speed and hardness, the outer ply is a bit softer so it all evens out. I would rate it similar to OFF- with carbon it does have a bit of extra juice in it when it if you need to play further back from the table.

Great review here and I definitely agree that it's a very spin and control oriented blade as opposed to speed.
big View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2013 at 5:30am
Thnks to all  for instilling confidence in the emotion blade ( Acuda S2-max - FH/ Coppa X2-max - Bh)that I bought this month. While using John.H-II ( Mark V) , all my backhand counter drives, loops etc were fast , accurate to counter the sidespin , underspin for which I used my wrist prominently. But now when I use the wrist , the ball goes farther away from the table and if not using the wrist , it goes into the net. 
I still have to figure out the right way ( whether to use center of bat or lower end of bat ) for my backhand.
With this new setup , my service has become very very effective ( both slow and fast one) and a loud sound also is a new feature of this setup.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2013 at 10:58am
I saw P.Soljia used this blade with ST handle just a hour ago in the EU championship.
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2013 at 2:28pm
The price has been set at 45€ on this website for a long time now. Definitely not a misprice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic