Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$49 fee for USATT membership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

so basically, we don't need USATT. Big smile

Well, I don't know USATT at all.

All I can say, they do they thing, we do our thing.
Maybe it is linked, maybe it is totally oppersite, who knows.

At the end of the day, we are doing our things that is effecting our area and for our own good too.
I'm sure USA has winning formulas - just look at all the other sports. No one can do it better than you guys
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2013 at 1:20pm
One small step for... 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 5:23am
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

It would be handled no different than any other after school sport/band/drama/club etc.

Who teaches them? Well.. again..this is where the support and guidance from the USATT comes in. USATT provides the training materials to the teacher/parent who would like to take on that role. I would assume DVD training or online training classes would be the way to do so.

Storage of tables? Not hard to do. Even if it's foldem up and place on a back wall somewhere.

The cost of the tables will be the biggest issue to start out with. If you have a large school and have 50+ kids wanting to do this, you need plenty of tables and start up equipment. Also keeping them from being vandalized/broken/tore up is an issue at schools too.

Having a good and well thought out USATT program put together is key, along with USATT providing the materials (DVD's?) for the program, guidance on how to start inter-school play, guidance on how to train the students, "selling" the importance of the sport on how it affects the health and cognitive function of the students, and finally, equipment discounts available to the schools.

For the ones that is interested.
Spend this USD7, it is worth it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Table-Tennis-Coaches-Handbook-ebook/dp/B00C9QHCN6

"Long-time professional table tennis coach and USA Table Tennis Hall of Famer Larry Hodges shows how you can become a professional table tennis coach. This is not a manual on how to coach; it's a manual on how to make a living as a coach - maximizing income, getting a facility and equipment, recruiting and retaining students, teaching classes, setting up and running a junior program, private coaching, a drills library, sample flyers to promote your coaching, and more."

No need to wait and pray for some governing body to action, this should help you getting started. And yeah, maybe its a good idea to get USATT coaching course to aid you.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

The USATT should offer a monthly Tournament pass.  
Happy that I bought my Lifetime Pass before they increase it to $200 from $150.
the lifetime membership is $1000 now ConfusedConfusedConfused
========================
Has gone up again.
$1300 now.
skip3119
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 3:50pm
There is a lovely little club down in Quincy, Mass., that has a monthly/quarterly tournaments and is a USATT sanctioned club. I haven't been there in years, just due to the membership fee! My goodness gracious do they have you by the you know what!!!
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by ri0t1 ri0t1 wrote:

There is a lovely little club down in Quincy, Mass., that has a monthly/quarterly tournaments and is a USATT sanctioned club. I haven't been there in years, just due to the membership fee! My goodness gracious do they have you by the you know what!!!

What is the club membership fee?
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

What is the club membership fee?

Icontek can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was 49 for usatt membership and the another 25-30 dollars for the tourney entry fee.  Which isn't too bad if you're not far from the venue.  But I'm 200+ miles away from the event.

Edited by ri0t1 - 01/19/2016 at 4:19pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

The USATT should offer a monthly Tournament pass.  
Happy that I bought my Lifetime Pass before they increase it to $200 from $150.
the lifetime membership is $1000 now ConfusedConfusedConfused
========================
Has gone up again.
$1300 now.

Don't remind me. I could have bought it for $300 in 1994 when I registered with USATT. Would have saved me some real money...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 5:15pm

I am not sure how often it operates nowadays. Quincy club (http://qttc.meetee.net) did quarterly or monthly tournaments from 2008 till 2011, and did quite a few. Then two in 2013, then one in 2015 and stopped doing them altogether.

Main problem was they had only 7 tables and seven or even eight events - as a result, tournament was run with huge delays. I remember I once had to wait almost 4 (four!) hours for my first match - and I only came 30 minutes earlier than official start time for that event. I told them many times that they should have less events and even less tournaments - doesn't make sense to have 6 tournaments a year when only same 20-30 people come and you have to cancel 2 events because there are not enough participants.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am not sure how often it operates nowadays. Quincy club (http://qttc.meetee.net) did quarterly or monthly tournaments from 2008 till 2011, and did quite a few. Then two in 2013, then one in 2015 and stopped doing them altogether.

Main problem was they had only 7 tables and seven or even eight events - as a result, tournament was run with huge delays. I remember I once had to wait almost 4 (four!) hours for my first match - and I only came 30 minutes earlier than official start time for that event. I told them many times that they should have less events and even less tournaments - doesn't make sense to have 6 tournaments a year when only same 20-30 people come and you have to cancel 2 events because there are not enough participants.

Dang that's a shame, and also makes me feel a bit old thinking it was back in 2011-2012 I last played there.  

My wife is from the Everett area, and I have played a couple of times at Boston Table Tennis Club in Medford. Not sure of many other great spots to go.  

However MIT is no better.  We arrived at the MIT (in 2013) for the spring event we were the first ones there, we all had events that were spread out through out the day. None of us, and I mean none of us (5 from my club came with me) played for 6 solid hours.  It would be nice to have some nice events to be able to attend to in the New England area.
CyberInferno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberInferno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 4:24am
Reading this discussion kind of makes me sad looking at how expensive it's gotten. The 1-year adult membership is now up to $75. So if I want to play a single table tennis tournament as a newbie, it's $75+$25+$5 for tournament entry fee and administration fee. Considering that there are only 3 tournaments within a 250 mile radius that I can find on USATT's site (and I live in Dallas, not a small town), if I played every available tournament and tournament fees stayed the same, it would cost me $55 per tournament to play. Considering that I have babies and will likely only be able to play 1 or 2 tournaments, I don't think I can justify that annual membership cost and probably just won't play as a result.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 6:19am
Originally posted by CyberInferno CyberInferno wrote:

Reading this discussion kind of makes me sad looking at how expensive it's gotten. The 1-year adult membership is now up to $75. So if I want to play a single table tennis tournament as a newbie, it's $75+$25+$5 for tournament entry fee and administration fee. Considering that there are only 3 tournaments within a 250 mile radius that I can find on USATT's site (and I live in Dallas, not a small town), if I played every available tournament and tournament fees stayed the same, it would cost me $55 per tournament to play. Considering that I have babies and will likely only be able to play 1 or 2 tournaments, I don't think I can justify that annual membership cost and probably just won't play as a result.

you can get a tournament pass its 20 bucks
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 2:40pm
As PureTT said, your situation is EXACTLY why we created the tournament pass idea.
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 3:20pm
Do you get rated for tournament pass?
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Yes you will get a rating. Tournament pass is good for that tournament only.
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Yes you will get a rating. Tournament pass is good for that tournament only.

But you can buy it as many times as you want - so break-even point is at 4 tournaments/year.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 6:33pm

For one tournament, it is actually now cheaper.  The old way would would add a rating fee and would be:

$49 + $7 + $25 + $5 = $86   but instead, today you'd pay $20 + $25 + $5 = $50

If you played in three tournaments under the old scheme it would be:
$49 + $21 + $75 + $15 = $170   or $56.67 per tournament

Under the new scheme it would be: 
$60 + $75 + $15 = $150  or $50 per tournament.  You saved a bit more than $6.  That's enough to buy two top-notch 40+ Nittaku Premium balls!!  ;^)

Aside from not understanding that there is now a never-ending Tournament Pass option, you seem to have also missed that the tournament rating/processing fee has been eliminated.  In short, it has been wrapped into the membership fee and membership options have been made more flexible.  

There are only a few situations where the new system is more expensive:  It is $3 more expensive for a new, first time player and it can be a little more expensive for those players who only enter doubles events because the rating fee is now wrapped into their membership fees.  They used to be able to totally avoid the rating/processing fee.  

Other than those two cases, I'm pretty sure that by choosing the optimal membership options, you can guarantee that you spend a little less than you would have under the old scheme.  I think the rationale was to attract more players who only play one to two tournaments a year but to charge about the same or a little less for players who play in many tournaments a year.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 12:10pm
I wish there was a "like" button for Jay's post...he hit the nail on the head!
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

I wish there was a "like" button for Jay's post...he hit the nail on the head!

Jay usually hits the nail on the head, and without even resorting to an abacusSmile!

And thank you too, Gordy, for providing quick and substantive information about USATT doings to forum members.  In the past, this was not always so.

Berndt Mann, life member, USATT (no. 52031) emeritus
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2017 at 4:27pm
It is my pleasure, Berndt! Don't forget -- before I was sitting in my (first floor) Ivory Tower, I was standing on the other side of the moat looking up...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 1:00am
I guess there's now going to be a biannual $45 background check fee for club presidents as well.   Not complaining, but it's another fee. Even if usatt doesn't get it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I guess there's now going to be a biannual $45 background check fee for club presidents as well.   Not complaining, but it's another fee. Even if usatt doesn't get it.

These background checks are going to far.  Every time I volunteer for something that involves kids I have to get ANOTHER background check.  Many times by the same company that checked me a few months ago.  I had to get one when I took foreign exchange students to Yosemite National Park.  I had to get it done again when I coached at a elementary school.  Did it again when I coached at a youth center, and again when I coached at a juvenile facility.  Again and again these companies are scamming non profits by scaring then into thinking most of us are perverts.  I am now turning down requests to volunteer in any kind of youth projects.  If it's required of me as president of two TT clubs, I'll drop the clubs out of the USATT and quit coaching kids.

I have spent my whole life helping kids get ahead in life.  I will miss working with kids, but feel I'm being forced out.
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2017 at 9:04am
Mike -

The organizations you are working with should honor background checks from any Lexis/Nexis or NCIS-based company. We have been contacted by several people that are teachers (who have to go through much more rigorous background screening than what we require) and we are honoring those checks if there is written/documented proof provided to USATT. Email me off-line if you have questions.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2017 at 2:31am
Voice of reason from Gordy, even if I see MTS points.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
CyberInferno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberInferno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

For one tournament, it is actually now cheaper.  The old way would would add a rating fee and would be:

$49 + $7 + $25 + $5 = $86   but instead, today you'd pay $20 + $25 + $5 = $50

If you played in three tournaments under the old scheme it would be:
$49 + $21 + $75 + $15 = $170   or $56.67 per tournament

Under the new scheme it would be: 
$60 + $75 + $15 = $150  or $50 per tournament.  You saved a bit more than $6.  That's enough to buy two top-notch 40+ Nittaku Premium balls!!  ;^)

Aside from not understanding that there is now a never-ending Tournament Pass option, you seem to have also missed that the tournament rating/processing fee has been eliminated.  In short, it has been wrapped into the membership fee and membership options have been made more flexible.  

There are only a few situations where the new system is more expensive:  It is $3 more expensive for a new, first time player and it can be a little more expensive for those players who only enter doubles events because the rating fee is now wrapped into their membership fees.  They used to be able to totally avoid the rating/processing fee.  

Other than those two cases, I'm pretty sure that by choosing the optimal membership options, you can guarantee that you spend a little less than you would have under the old scheme.  I think the rationale was to attract more players who only play one to two tournaments a year but to charge about the same or a little less for players who play in many tournaments a year.

Sorry for the delayed response (my account wouldn't let me reply for some reason saying I didn't have permissions). Thanks for the details. The tournament entry form didn't list the tournament pass option on it, so I wasn't aware of it. When I contacted the tournament director, she confirmed that it was an option.

I wasn't able to play that tournament due to a scheduling conflict, but I found another one in April that is very reasonably priced. For events under 2000 points, it's $30 for one event and $42 for two events. Combine that with the $20 tournament pass (which is listed on the form), and it's $62 for two events.

Edited by CyberInferno - 03/23/2017 at 6:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic