FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

An old catalog in my hand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 1:57pm
I have a BTY Clearfield, it is a heavy 7-ply. With T05 2.1 both sides it is terrible heavy. I thought the VSG series where great blades as I had one. I also owned a Cypress-P and Cypress X...gone to who knows where. LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 2:15pm
the sriver had a choice between "S" and "L" versions, then the kawatsuki sponge (little dots in the sponge)

yasaka came out later with a "h plus" version of their mark v which was a harder sponge

:)
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Never even heard of Super Sriver and Sriver Killer. How were they different from regular Sriver, I wonder...

I used to play with super sriver, spinnier with more control than Sriver L or S. Sriver killer was an anti-loop, dead as hell. 

The Older I get, The better I was.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I see.  Just wondered.  I bought my first sheet of the stuff in 1973 or thereabouts.  We always called it Mark Five, but we were pretty far from the table tennis universe where I lived.  But I never heard it called anything else since then.
 Definitely V for five, its predecessor was Cobra III which everyone called cobra 3. I think it was always Mark V, but they started using the V for victory as a sales pitch.  
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 2:34pm
the one i wondered about:

yasaka came out with a rubber called "V Stage"

is that "five stage" or "vee stage" ??

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I see.  Just wondered.  I bought my first sheet of the stuff in 1973 or thereabouts.  We always called it Mark Five, but we were pretty far from the table tennis universe where I lived.  But I never heard it called anything else since then.
 I think it was always Mark V, but they started using the V for victory as a sales pitch.  

I always call it Mark 5 but often heard "V for victory".
This really brings back old memory. See translation on the 4th and 5th one? The tackiness one. I guess that was old school translation using dictionary years ago.

Edited by bogeyhunter - 11/20/2013 at 3:07pm
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 3:16pm

Definitely V for five, its predecessor was Cobra III which everyone called cobra 3. I think it was always Mark V, but they started using the V for victory as a sales pitch.  

Cobra 3.  Came in green.  LOL!  Can't belioeve you could use Super Sriver.  Stuff was awful.  I was a confirmed Mark V guy in those days.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 3:51pm

Cobra 3.  Came in green.  LOL!  Can't belioeve you could use Super Sriver.  Stuff was awful.  I was a confirmed Mark V guy in those days.
 It was an acquired taste, spin loop flat hit. After that I used Dunlop Prexy f/hand Tacky drive b/hand on a Alser alround. By early 1980's Mark V both sides with a ton of Tiptop tyre glue on a Grubba alround.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

I think it was always Mark V, but they started using the V for victory as a sales pitch.  

I always call it Mark 5 but often heard "V for victory".
This really brings back old memory. See translation on the 4th and 5th one? The tackiness one. I guess that was old school translation using dictionary years ago.

'look It snaps at the ball' LOL
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 3:55pm
Yasaka DO and Tornado in yellow !!
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 4:08pm
When I was a beginner I actually thought my green Cobra was to fast on Johansson Allround blade. I still have that blade. My oh my have times changed! LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Tornado in yellow !!
YES !!!! what a rubber that was, they couldn't make it in red or black so it was finished when they brought the two colour rule in, but it was very popular a round the early 1980's. can you remember who made it? I seem to think TSP
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 5:03pm

Tornado in yellow !!
YES !!!! what a rubber that was, they couldn't make it in red or black so it was finished when they brought the two colour rule in, but it was very popular a round the early 1980's. can you remember who made it? I seem to think TSP

Yasaka made it ,  it could do any shot !!
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 5:13pm
tornado ended up being available in many colors, didn't it?

like (red/black/green/blue?)

TKMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 9:47pm
Here for Supper Sriver and Yasaka DO

ttvet86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvet86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

Originally posted by ttvet86 ttvet86 wrote:

+1... The happy memories...😀
Come to think of it..I might still have that Cpen w/old Sriver D or something in 1 of my boxes locked up in storage shed in my SE Asian hometown (my eldest bro's house) since 1989. Wink

I lost track of mine after i switched to shakehand, i think to a BTY Powersmash with sriver. Being from SE Asia myself, i think the termites got it 😂
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 11:26pm
Thank you for sharing!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 12:11am
Shawn O'Neal told me he used Yasaka DO on his BH. Speed glue days of course. It probably played like a boosted H3 or H2 of today. And don't forget Yasaka Black Power! Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 1:30am
Looking for some Yasaka DO (for a friend who swears by it) if anyone has any lying around Smile.  He swears by it.  I thought it resembled Joola Drum.
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 3:24am
All these rubber names suddenly reappearing in memory...

I started TT in the 80s and read all the catalogs I had many many times... Wondering whether these are still at my parents'...
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 3:46am
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

tornado ended up being available in many colors, didn't it?

like (red/black/green/blue?)

It was never the same as when it was in its natural colour, which was  yellow/gold/brownish which I think they used to say was the natural colour of the cachouc rubber rubber used.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 8:33am
That red Super Sriver really bring back memory.  I remember they are very fast, and chipped very easily around the edge.  I don't recall ever see a black Super Sriver though.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 9:52am
Look at how dense the pimples are in Super Sriver, I remember it having a harder feel than Sriver, which accounted for the speed increase.  I think Wei came out as a replacement for Do, but never caught on with Do users.  The one's I knew who tried it didn't seem to like it as well.  Sriver Killer made Super Anti look spinny by comparison, and it was very slow.  Don't forget in those days you could have the same color on both sides of your paddle, like Red Mark V and Red Sriver Killer! Wink
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 10:56am
Yasaka Do vs. Tibhar Dang.  Like Godzilla vs. Mothra.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 11:14am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

That red Super Sriver really bring back memory.  I remember they are very fast, and chipped very easily around the edge.  I don't recall ever see a black Super Sriver though.

I don't  think they made super sriver in black, they always seemed to have problems with the dyes in those days, black rubbers were always considerably slower than red, but black glued up better, which is why many players used it on their f/hands. I can remember quite a few players playing with Sriver killer topsheet on mark V sponge so they could mix the spin and hit John Hilton style. Rubber regulations were not so strict back in the day.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 12:25pm
Back in the day I used gold Yasaka Tornado on FH and BTY Super Sriver on BH. Glued Tornado was almost the same as glued Mark V with perhaps slightly less spin. Super Sriver was very fast for blocking but a complete dud for looping. Even BTY Fraulein was a better rubber or simple D-13. I think BTY should bring back some of those old rubbers and blades just for the fun of it. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Super Sriver was very fast for blocking but a complete dud for looping.

You had to contact thin, off the top sheet with low pace, it wasn't a loop driving rubber. England has a rich history with TT, and there was an abundance of quality coaches back then. My Coach had learned his stuff in the 1960's the birth decade of loop. The whole point of the loop initially was to make the opponent pop the ball up because he could not control the topspin, you then looked for a kill with a flat hit. There was a definite distinction between a loop and a flat hit, loop driving has blended these two strokes together somewhat.  Though I have adapted with the times to a certain extent, the pattern of my structured game remains the same, I go for heavy topsin on the follow up to serve, only these days it is to try and stop my opponent forcing a quick ball on me rather than making the ball pop up, then I look for a closed angle loop drive on the 5th ball instead of a flat kill. I found Super Sriver perfect for making the distinction between pure spin loop, and flat hit, it just felt so crisp, as opposed to mark V, which I believe was the first rubber to allow the spin and pace for loop driving. Crikey, once you start reminiscing LOL 
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 6:38pm
Yasaka Panther and Technique where also great blades. My BTY Cypress-P was the only rectangular shaped shakehand blade I ever owned. Speed glued Sriver Kawasuki max was the T64 of it's day. I also remember the 3rd offerings of the BTY Power Drive blades. Smaller blade size and you could get a Power Drive in 3 handle shapes. AN, ST, FL....how cool is that!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 11:47pm

Yasaka DO and Tornado in yellow !!

in 1980s I use those before.
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2013 at 1:57pm
yasaka had panther and leopard - one was one ply, the other 3 ply...forget which way

for jpen - yasaka had gt3 (thin 1 ply cypress or hinoki), gt5 (thick 1 ply cypress or hinoki), or gt7 (1 ply judas).  butterfly had their 1 ply cypress or hinoki blade - that came with a full cork back

another popular shake blade back then was a yasaka 6x (for 6 ply blade)

i had a power drive with the straight handle - that had the uni-directional handle that was angled at the throat (so the stripe looked like an L)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic