Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TBS with sriver el

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBS with sriver el
    Posted: 12/07/2013 at 2:32pm
A little background on me:
I am a primarily offensive player, that likes to control flow of the game with my backhand to allow me to power loop on my forehand. I am 6'4 230lbs, very athletically built. ( yes I like to show that big guys can play table tennis) and I put a lot of power behind my forehand loop.

I currently use a primorac off- with t05 max and t64 1.9 on the backhand. My loops seem very solid and when I execute hem properly a lot of people have problems returning them. I've play three 2300+ players that had issues once I got my full swing (even though they demolished me the rest of the game). So I can control these rubbers for offensive purposes, however I must say my short game suffers heavily. Against 1500 rated players I'm alright, but anything higher and they get to dominate me in short game making me make mistakes and ultimately lose the game. This being said, my dad did some research and is dead set on getting me a timo bill spirit fl for Christmas.

Is it feasible for me to throw a couple sriver els on something like the tbs that way I could tame the quickness, while allowing me to perfect my form as well as short game? (I am aware I went way too fast with the t05 and t64) for the next 500-600 points on my rating?
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 3:16pm
Your current setup of Primorac with Tenergys is fine. If your short game is suffering it's not your current setup it's just a matter of adjusting stroke/blade angle. TBS with Sriver EL is slower actually much slower than your current racket and switching between the two is not good. A better choice would be to use 1.9mm also on the FH, this should reduce rebound and help some in the short game and still provide strong speed/spin for looping.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 3:38pm
definitely noted, thank you. I do love tenergy a ridiculous amount, so hopefully the step down to 1.9 will keep it tame while allowing me to keep my plan of attack with spin and power. That being said, I think I will probably just do that. However, the t64 I think is very bouncy, maybe to the point hat it's caused me to get bad habits on my backhand since it is still quite quick. Any remedies for this? I feel like I should bring it to the basics at my level, and try to regrow with good form. Any opinions on that?
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 3:52pm
Actually T64 1.9 for BH on Primorac is very manageable. If you want a bit more control then consider T64FX 1.9. Bouncy does not always mean there is less control. Example Yasaka Extend is very bouncy but has great control for a Tensor rubber. There are many factors that determines the term "control". I believe adjustment to stroke/angle is your problem not so much your racket.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 3:58pm
noted again, I just like feeding the EJ inside me that I know exists. I will continue to try and grow with this, for now, ;) thank you for the help frogger!
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 4:07pm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 4:33pm
I'm not sure a tbs with sriver will have more control than a primo with t.
tbs is pretty hard with low dwell time.

anyway both of these are not very fast setups so I'd say don't worry about the setup, just keep training and your touch will get better.

Edited by puppy412 - 12/07/2013 at 4:40pm
Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 7:50pm
now that I am thinking some more, I'm willing to bet my father has already purchased the tbs for me, frogger, if I go with your advice would it be too much of a jump to put the 1.9 t05 and 1.9 64 fx on the tbs? Because if he's gotten me my gift already I don't want to send that beautiful of a blade back:p
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 8:40pm
I disagree with both Frogger and Puppy. Consider getting Mark V (or Sriver) on both sides. If you are as strong as you say, you can make up for the power deficit but your control will be infinitely better on both sides and you can develop a stronger over the table game.   You will develop many new ways to win points in addition to looping. Tenergy is overrated unless you have decent spin and defensive strokes.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 10:10pm
Rvoss by all means try the new TBS however I think then the Tenergy's may not benefit your level on that blade since you are having control issues. TBS is harder and faster than Primorac. Mark V or Sriver on TBS would be classified as "fast allround" for close and mid distance play. TBS is a fine blade and can be adjusted with right rubber selection/thickness. Primorac with Tenergy's will have more speed, spin than TBS with classic rubbers like Mark V or Sriver.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 12:02am
would you suggest something else for it then? I don't mind sacrificing top gears for more control and possibly spin, I don't think I can keep up with tenergy spin/speed on a tbs regardless, in all honesty control is what I want, I know I need to perfect my strokes and footwork among many other things. However, I do want to be able to keep the pace which I already produce or at least as close to it while keeping that control and spin for a noobie/intermediate that I am.
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 12:11am
Consider borrowing people's paddles at where you play and trying them out. I played with Mark V at the same level that I did with advanced rubbers. I just traded off consistency for power. The only problem with traditional rubbers is that they encourage lifting strokes more than the latest modern rubbers because you don't get the sponge penetration and speed glue effect. Catapult is slightly less. Buy control on all shots is much better and the topspin lost only shows up if you have really good technique.
Cybershape Carbon
Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 2:18am
the biggest issue is all the kids on my school team; I built their blades. Some use average setups, a couple just got some rasants on both sides, which I find phenomenal, lots of gears, power when I swing, etc. but I'm not sure about the short game. I did play on a 1.8 rakza and 1.5 mark v. The rakza was awesome on my backhand, but it was on a real slow blade, so it wasn't quite as fast as I like but the touch and spin was awesome, so I've been considering that for an options. We are heading over to a club next Monday so I'm going to see what I can play there. 
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 2:24am
also I forgot to include that I am around 1300 rated. Meant to say that in my first post. Also curious to try some 5QSound or something like that, soft sponge, not as fast but very spinny
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 1:04pm
The more spinny a rubber is the more suseptable it is to incoming spin. the key is to find a rubber with balance for your style. 5QSound is a very spinny and fast rubber. It is an advanced performance rubber. I hope you find a rubber that allows you to develop and at the same time is a rubber compatible with your style/level. Some advanced players here will say 5Q Sound is slow. It may be slow for their level but to the majority of players it would be rather fast. Good Luck.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 1:50pm
I will definitely avoid going to an advanced level again, especially since I am not quite there. I have an old R7 Soft I can throw on there to see how I like it, I may try to play with my buddies mark v and rakza 7 regular again. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 2:03pm
IMHO, as I've also played with my old TBS An. w/Sriver L FH & Banda Rossa soft BH long before this SG ban era. I must say that TBS w/Sriver L/EL/FX or soft BH rubber was not fast or unmanageable for me at all, not even a bit. This Combo had been my favourite for the longest time.
My favourite Btfly Combo, 1 of mine actually, would still be my most memorable Photino w/Sriver L FH & Sriver EL BH. Fast & manageable & I remember still that I made my Taiwanese buddy who played w/some High end Jpen w/Bryce someth'n, ran for his shots....
I wasn't/still am not as good as him, esp. these days after my "massive" injuries...Ouch
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 4:05pm
Rvoss, I can tell you personal, I started using a TBS when I was around your level of 1400-1500ish. I broke my TBS when I was slightly below my current level of lower-mid 1900s (East coast) I tried several rubbers on that lovely TBS and they all felt great. Whether you use T05 or slowish Sriver, you will like it. However, simply using the TBS will not raise your level to 1800-1900. You might like it better, maybe not. Try it out. You never know.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Rvoss, I can tell you personal, I started using a TBS when I was around your level of 1400-1500ish. I broke my TBS when I was slightly below my current level of lower-mid 1900s (East coast) I tried several rubbers on that lovely TBS and they all felt great. Whether you use T05 or slowish Sriver, you will like it. However, simply using the TBS will not raise your level to 1800-1900. You might like it better, maybe not. Try it out. You never know.

Exactly - nothing beats good coaching for getting better, especially from a coach who works to understand your goals and needs (not a coach who just drills you without understanding how you want to play and whether you are planning to be a high level player or not).
Cybershape Carbon
Rvoss View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rvoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 10:24pm
Exactly, not looking at the blade to help me get better, but since I will have it, I was just wondering what would not be detrimental to me continuing to get better, I guess i didn't want it to be out of my league is what I am trying to say. However, thanks for all the great advice guys, and BH-man, thank you for the reassuring that I will love it regardless. A blade that pretty, i doubt I won't love it:P
Primorac
2.1 t05
1.9 t 64
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 8:49pm
Rvoss, I have seen new players in Korea go from USATT 800 to USATT 1700ish in 2 years with coach "recommending" *** cough, cough*** (Ordering) player to use Schlager Carbon OFF+++ blade and an OFF rubber like Yasaka Extend HS or T05 if they have the money.

Of course they get lessons 2-3 times a week and if they listen and practice well outside of lesson, they move up in level. Some, perhaps many, do not get much better than 1500-1600ish as they never progress past the basic FH loop from a predetermined position, even if they can hit high speed FH to FH light topspin without a miss 100 times.

I have seen a player at my old club make it from 1000ish to a half level below my playing level. he is around 1800ish level. All he did was play with EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE, 75yr old men, totally new beginners, and the top players. He learned control and placement, even if his attacks are erratic. He made that jump in less than 4 years time. I took lessons and moved from 1600 to 1900ish level in 3 years of lessons. He made a jump of almost twice my improvement in about the same timeframe WITHOUT lessons.

You never know.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic