Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timothy Wang losing to a 2300

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 5:22pm
Not to take anything away from the Doc...I'm sure he was on cloud 9!!

But how many times was he faulted for his illegal serve? Neither of his 2 serves in the video posted (1 was a let) came close to 6".

Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

why not just chop the dead serve.
you are gonna be chopping all other ball thrown to your bh, why not start with serve?
It is difficult to generate any underspin on the ball with lp ox on a dead serve so the 3rd ball can be attacked.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Why does the ITTF approve of so many different types of pips?

And since you are asking, why does the ITTF approve of so many inverted rubbers? They need to clean that up! These days the new tensors generate so much spin it's not fair to the defender or pips player.

To really answer your question, the ITTF has certain specifications for long pips and as long as a new rubber meets those specs it wil be approved. The same is true for inverted.

I agree 100% with you concerning inverted also. Spin, speed, pips structure, sponge density...it's crazy man. And the question is...where does it all end so their is reasonable standardization to make it fair for all style players? Not to sideline the thread concerning Timothy. He is a fine player and anyone can have a strange day.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

pong4lyfe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pong4lyfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 9:37pm
Tim wasn't playing well at all and just got off the plane from Texas a few hours ago. I played him in the Open RR before he played Shuja, and he was playing nowhere near his peak level. Needless to say, he should have been able to adjust, even though Shuja's style is tricky and effective.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by pong4lyfe pong4lyfe wrote:

Tim wasn't playing well at all and just got off the plane from Texas a few hours ago. I played him in the Open RR before he played Shuja, and he was playing nowhere near his peak level. Needless to say, he should have been able to adjust, even though Shuja's style is tricky and effective.
Thanks. How did he so against you compared to the usual?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
pong4lyfe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pong4lyfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 12:52am
Well I am a 2000-2100 level. I got one deuce game against him and some good points in the other games and he was trying. He also got into two very close, deuce games against the other player in our group who is 2250-2300 level.
jhe1976 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhe1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 1:09am
 Good....

Viscaria
FH.T80
BH.T05
My Feedback
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 3:26am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

These type of results crop up every so often, so what, the blocker will have his rating pulled down because against tight players ranked below him, who don't give him what he wants, he loses. Even with the gulf in standard between these two players, all it take is for Wang to go in over confident, then get the jitters, once the underdog smells blood reputation and class can go out of the window.

If both of them played the top 100 players in the USA, we all know who would have a massively higher win count.
Nine times out of ten freak results involve unorthodox/pips players, and technically superior players getting the jitters.

The doctor can live off his reputation from that win for the rest of his TT career, and good luck to him for it, and the army of coat tail swingers who are gonna beat him and think they have a chance with Wang by proxy.LOL

+1. That's all that needs to be said about this.

P.S.: Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread disrespectful to the player who caused the upset? When Pitchford, at the time  ranked well outside of 100, beat Gao Ning, Kenta Matsudaira,  and Oh Sang Eun  - who were ranked 16, 18, and 29 -  I don't recall any threads on any TT forum titled "Gao Ning lost to an 125" ... Pitchford's wins were far bigger upset than this.

P.P.S: And the obsession with/lack of respect for unconventional rubber players  - give me a break, guys, watch Greg's videos and  just get over it ...

vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 3:40am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

+1. That's all that needs to be said about this.

P.S.: Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread disrespectful to the player who caused the upset? When Pitchford, at the time  ranked well outside of 100, beat Gao Ning, Kenta Matsudaira,  and Oh Sang Eun  - who were ranked 16, 18, and 29 -  I don't recall any threads on any TT forum titled "Gao Ning lost to an 125" ... Pitchford's wins were far bigger upset than this.

P.P.S: And the obsession with/lack of respect for unconventional rubber players  - give me a break, guys, watch Greg's videos and  just get over it ...

You can't seriously compare that. All pros have gone through rigorous training and have the technical ability to beat any other pros except for top 20 maybe? The analogy you are suggesting is ridiculous and quite frankly silly. 2600 is technically somewhere else than a 2300 level player. 

As far as I am concerned, I don't care about the unconventional rubber but the rather the style. If they were LP choppers, SP hitters it is still a beautiful and exciting game to watch. While with LP blocking you essentially stand there, put out your paddle and try to confuse your opponent. I admit that Shuja is not as extreme as Pushblocker and actively utilizes his FH but still, certain components of the BH-block-covering-the-table can be observed as well. 
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2013 at 7:54am
Vvk1,

Yes, you are on your own for the most part. That you would use the analogy of a rising junior star beating top players as comparable to a part time player beating a professional just shows to me you don't really care to understand what is making people wonder in the first place. Kudos to Jafar, but the story of this win will be caveated the same way that CCY's win over ML in the 2012 World Cup was.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 7:39am

What blade and long pips OX does he use ?

He is presently rated 2211.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 11/26/2017 at 7:40am
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

P.S.: Am I the only one who finds the title of this thread disrespectful to the player who caused the upset?

If anything, I think the title is disrespectful to Timothy.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 1:44pm
Too much non-sense in this thread.
Someone lost from another player. What's wrong here?
In other case then the medals must go preliminary without any games to the favorites.
Our sport in unpredictable, I have seen a match with two world class players many years ago,
one leads 1:0 and 20:6, then 20:16 his coach was laughing so much and loud, asked for time out,
but was too late. Player lost 20:22.

Why excuse must be available?!

Here in France I have seen the same style (long OX on bh and short pips on fh) 1600 player to beat 2400 player. On the next week that 2400 player was close to win versus 3000 points level player, but lost 2:3
And that 3000 level player win versus WR 20 player 4:0 on the next week in Pro Tour.

Are you able to think that 1600 points player is able to win VS WR20 level player?

Should be cool to know.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Incredible.

I played Jafar twice this year at Gao Jun's new club right before the LA Open.  His bh block is very consistent and his fh attacks are extremely nasty.  A super nice fellow (and a MD too Smile).

what short pips and blade is jafar using?
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

You're right, there's no such thing as a long pips player that knows what to do with dead serves. 

Wacko
thats right a good (well any) long pimple player has to adjust to all types of serves
Im sure Tim will benifit from his experience, it is jusy one of those things, 
also playing a LP chopper is not the same as playing a lp blocker and technition like the Dr

My mate has been playing two years and uses double pips and he has already beaten half the NZ Jnr team , then he played a anti chopper and took nearly 60 mins to win, it was like watching a 1940's game

Do you have it on video? If you do, it's not too late to burn it to disc and send it to Berndt for Christmas.

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 9:12pm
Shuja has transitioned from lp blocking, fh hitting to a chopping game with surprise attacks. He went from low friction to high friction long pips and slower blade and slower short pips rubber on the FH for chopping. He dropped a lot of points due to radical change of style. He was about 2380 or so when he started changing style.

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/26/2017 at 9:13pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 11:18am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbyCGR_QRs

From blocker to chopper!

Edited by obesechopper - 11/27/2017 at 11:18am
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 5:46pm
Shujar used to be a penholder too! Talented friend.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 6:51pm
Timothy has been doing a lot of coaching.  Hard to coach and be competitive at the same time.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 6:56pm
You guys realize that this thread is 4 years old?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

You guys realize that this thread is 4 years old?

Thanks for the wake up.  Didn't even notice.
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Shuja used to be a penholder too! Talented friend.

He can play with just about any rubber and any grip at 2200+ level..
He is also an excellent Tennis player.. I believe that his Tennis rating using the USATT system would be above 2500...
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Timothy has been doing a lot of coaching.  Hard to coach and be competitive at the same time.

I thought Timothy had opened up a Center....like....in Houston?

I just saw him at ICC over the holiday.

:)
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Shuja used to be a penholder too! Talented friend.

He can play with just about any rubber and any grip at 2200+ level..
He is also an excellent Tennis player.. I believe that his Tennis rating using the USATT system would be above 2500...

He'd be an excellent candidate for racketlon if he's any good at badminton and squash.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

I think he has taken over the ICC program
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 8:03pm
0 attacks
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbyCGR_QRs

From blocker to chopper!
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2017 at 8:10am

He is not listed as a coach at HITTA any more.

HITTA
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2017 at 8:29am

I think he has taken over the ICC program

Yup, he's now a Director of ICC in Milpitas:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2017/September/17/US-Olympian-Timothy-Wang-Takes-on-New-Role-at-ICC-Table-Tennis-Center
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2017 at 10:31pm
I know he was not real happy at HITTA.  He is my friend and I hope everything goes well for him at ICC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic