Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

poll: why do Chinese pros use tacky rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Why do Chinese pro players use a tacky rubber on forehand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [9.09%]
33 [50.00%]
23 [34.85%]
4 [6.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: poll: why do Chinese pros use tacky rubber?
    Posted: 12/15/2013 at 5:07am
I'm interested in your position on this topic. Why do they use hard + tacky instead of just hard (like T05 or even harder)?

I left out two possible answers that I believe are wrong: 1) because tack kills spin; 2) because DHS rubbers are harder.
THe first is IMHO wrong (they are more spin sensitive, hardness being equal), and the second does not make sense (why don't they use hard and nontacky?).

Edited by seguso - 12/15/2013 at 5:29am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 5:23am
They all used Friendship or Globe rubbers until the team became sponsored by DHS so they were already using almost identical rubbers, the DHS line are only copies of the 729/Globe rubbers. Right now it's because of money.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 5:27am
@bluebucket: you are saying that if DHS did not pay them, they would be using 729?

But then the question becomes: why 729, instead of T05, or something NON-TACKY at any rate?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 5:34am
I recall reading an interview with one of the CNT coaches where he stressed the importance of short game, and that tacky rubbers are better for it.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 6:09am
Yeah, I think that's the real reason. Short receive is crucial.

But even this explanation is not completely convincing to me: when they get a short serve to their bh side, and they do not flip because backspin is too heavy, what do they do? Some of them play a short receive with their backhand. Why don't they use the forehand to push short? Only WLQ and penholders do this (use the forehand I mean). But I don't recall ZJK or Ma Long or FZD pushing short with the forehand on the backhand side.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 6:14am
This was covered a bit in the Wu Jingping (National Team coach of Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong) article... pasted the translated section below...

4. Rubber and the loop: Chinese rubber and European/Japanese rubbers are very different and have different characteristics and therefore change the style of the player/shot. Europeans loop more with hit than loop because European rubber topsheet is not tacky, sponge is soft but is bouncy. If you use Euro/Jap rubbers, the ball must sink into the sponge and dwell so that you have more control over the spin and speed of the incoming ball. (ie. Not as sensitive to spin). This is even better because more Europeans are taller and more powerful than the Chinese players. Chinese players brush the ball more especially since their rubbers (in particular Hurricane series) are tackier and the ball doesn't sink into the sponge much. This makes the rubber and blade combination fast. Because there is more brushing, the quality of the loop is better.

Also adding the section where he explains the difference between the Euro/Asian loop styles to give more insight on how the rubber affects the loop quality...

We can split forehand topspin into two different kinds: European style and Asian style. European style forehand demands more hitting than brushing therefore the end loop is one that is fast, powerful and low. Asian style forehand demands more brush therefore when the ball bounces off the other side of the table it jumps. It is also fast and low but has more spin. Because this technique has been in development for so many years, many players have a composite style forehand and it usually not 100% clear whether they have a completely Asian or European forehand.

Edited by Rack - 12/15/2013 at 6:29am
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 6:50am
@rack

that article is interesting but it seems to me it does not quite answer the question. It says european rubbers have soft sponge. It does not answer the question "why don't they use a rubber which is as hard as DHS rubbers, but nontacky?".
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 6:59am

More dwell time, giving less margin for error, and the hard gives them controlled speed with tacky.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:05am
Rack's right - my memory failed me. What I referred to came from "The Secrets Of Chinese Table Tennis" by Larry Hodges/Cheng Yinghua (2007), http://protabletennis.net/content/secrets-chinese-table-tennis, but it did not mention rubber properties at all.

Above all, Chinese players dominate with serve & receive techniques. Other countries have closed the gap in serve techniques, yet most consider Ma Lin’s serves the best among world-class players, and before him, Liu Guoliang’s – both Chinese players. But it is the return of serve where the Chinese really dominate. Where other countries learn to return to neutralize the serve, the Chinese return to throw opponents off and to take the initiative. Ma Lin is probably best at this, tying opponents up in knots with his returns, but all the Chinese players train many hours at this and so have few peers at receive. Outside China, Waldner may be the only one who can do this at the Chinese level.
patwhall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patwhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:07am
IMHO, Rack's answer is right, it's mainly due to the stroke and short receive.  
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:08am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

@rack

that article is interesting but it seems to me it does not quite answer the question. It says european rubbers have soft sponge. It does not answer the question "why don't they use a rubber which is as hard as DHS rubbers, but nontacky?".

My guess is that they - CNT coaches - generally believe that forward brush-looping with a tacky & hard rubber like hurricane can generate more spin than forward-drive looping with a non-tacky rubber.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:20am
The right answer, IMO, is that it is what they use in China when starting out and that they use it as kids and continue to use it as adults.  If we had a Chinese junior male champ raised on Tenergy, that might change.  I believe some CNT training partners like Li Ping do use Euro-Jap rubbers, but I really believe that the short game answers, while having validity, are not as important as having be raised on that stuff and not being willing to spend the time to adapt to Euro-Jap stuff,
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:42am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

@rack

My guess is that they - CNT coaches - generally believe that forward brush-looping with a tacky & hard rubber like hurricane can generate more spin than forward-drive looping with a non-tacky rubber.

I would infer the same conclusion as VVk1.

Wu Jingping states that their loops are "also fast and low but has more spin" due to the extra brushing.   Why do they emphasize brushing? He explains it by saying "Chinese players brush the ball more especially since their rubbers (in particular Hurricane series) are tackier and the ball doesn't sink into the sponge much."

So Seguso, there's one explanation straight from a CNT coach.

The extra spin and kick from tacky rubbers is where they believe the extra advantage is.

I'm sure other points other people have mentioned also have an impact in terms of them being raised using that type of rubber, easy access due to being sponsored by DHS, better short game, and one I would add is higher quality spin on serves.

However again theres too much emphasis on equipment here. I agree with NextLevel in doubting that anything would change if they were raised with Tenergy or some other rubber instead. It's their resources, coaching, dedication to training, better competition to train against, innovation, multitude of styles, and bigger pool of talent which gives them a big edge.

Good example... Zhang Yining was able to wipe the floor with people using Tenergy on both sides years ago.

Edited by Rack - 12/15/2013 at 8:03am

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:42am
I think it is like the old Penhold V Shakehand question.
People play how they were initially taught and with the equipment they were given.
I think most Chinese use the Chinese rubbers because that is what they started with. It is only relatively recently that an ordinary Chinese player could even think about affording a Euro/Jap rubber and/or blade.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:50am

@rack

Ok, then it seems to me this is answer #2 (with the proper stroke, tacky rubbers produce loops which are more deadly).
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 7:51am

"why don't they use a rubber which is as hard as DHS rubbers, but nontacky?".

Like Grip-S RS, which is non-tacky but otherwise is a replica of H3 or probably TG3 as it feels harder than H3. I tried today a new black Grip-S with red H2 Neo on HK2 signature edition. H2 Neo feels like it is made for this blade, better than H3, better than Grip-S, better even than T05. In this combo, H2 has more spin, more power, and more precision than everything else.
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 8:01am

@rack

Ok, then it seems to me this is answer #2 (with the proper stroke, tacky rubbers produce loops which are more deadly).

Can't really come to that conclusion either. That's just one area where they believe its an advantage. I'm sure there are others that they didn't mention. Most likely its a variation of many things.

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 9:05am

@bluebucket: you are saying that if DHS did not pay them, they would be using 729?

But then the question becomes: why 729, instead of T05, or something NON-TACKY at any rate?

If they had to buy and choose their own I'd guess many would be using 729 or globe rubbers. Why they choose tacky rubber in the first place?. That's just because it's what they know and what they use as kids. Remember also the team rubbers are basically non tacky these days
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

"why don't they use a rubber which is as hard as DHS rubbers, but nontacky?".

Like Grip-S RS, which is non-tacky but otherwise is a replica of H3 or probably TG3 as it feels harder than H3.

Also sword hero fits that description, for who is interested.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Remember also the team rubbers are basically non tacky these days

What are "team rubbers"? You mean Ma Long, FZD, XX are really using nontacky rubbers?
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Rack Rack wrote:

they emphasize brushing ... The extra spin and kick from tacky rubbers is where they believe the extra advantage is.

You too should vote answer #2 then. Sorry, I had already asked you :)

Edited by seguso - 12/15/2013 at 9:50am
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 11:13am
I'd say the best way to find out is to use both of them by yourself (boosted tacky and tenergy) with same blade for some time.
that will give you a great idea on all the differences.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 12:26pm
watch wang liqin bounce the ball on his "tacky" rubber during his pre-service routine and you'll realize they're not very tacky at all
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 12:45pm
I suspect Tinykin has it right.  People have been using these kinds of rubber in China forever (from one Chinese company or another), and probably most if not all top players learned to play using them.  Price matters still in most of China --although obviously not once players reach a certain level on their road to the national team.  If you learn to use those rubbers, obviously they can be incredibly effective.  I have never had the patience to figure it out myself, but I pretty much learned to play using Mark V.  If you have used European/Japanese rubber for a long time, tacky hard Chinese rubbers feel really really strange.  Of course, the top players have boosted them like crazy, and I have never tried one that has been treated like that.  Maybe with boosting they are more like I am used to. 
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 12:58pm
The right answer isn't one of the options.  When looping I have my paddle closed at about 45 degrees but when I want a very slow and spinny loop to drop close behind the net at an angle I close my paddle even more and brush.

What I hate is the ball not gripping the rubber and sliding off the paddle when I loop.
DHS rubbers seem to be able to grip the ball well.

The dwell time would only increase if the ball is brushed.  In Mercuur's long dwell time thread we established that relative impact speed decreases dwell time but if the ball is brushed the effective or normal relative impact speed is reduced so dwell time increases.   However this is not an exclusive property of tacky rubbers.  One can brush with T05.

There is no speed advantage or spin advantage to using tacky rubbers.  The tacky force must be broken when the ball leaves the rubber.

Edit, I think the real reason the Chinese use tacky rubbers is because that is what they have always used.

Edited by tt4me - 12/15/2013 at 1:00pm
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 1:33pm
I think the Chinese National team coaches and players are constantly trying new solutions, checking if some new material or technique can be used more effectively. And once discovered, there is great incentive for players to adopt new materials and techniques, to get an edge over opponents. For example, look at Ma Long: he learned to loop the bh, then to banana flip. He could not always do that. Even forehand counterloop at the table, where you have to crouch instead of moving farther, is a relatively new discovery, which Ma Long has integrated only recently in his game. (And XX and ZJK haven't yet)

The same holds for materials: Ma Long and others are constantly experimenting as we know. Just look at the recent episode with Yan An and T05Fx.

For these reasons I believe that, if T05 on fh (for example) could produce more effective strokes with a different technique, Ma Long and others would adopt them and change their technique accordingly. The incentive for them to do it is just too big: they risk getting surpassed by newer players.

That's why I don't buy the explanation "they are using tacky just because that's what they started with / what they've always used".

Edited by seguso - 12/15/2013 at 1:41pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 2:11pm

@rack

first  with chinese rubber you get a low arc loop that makes too dificult for european players and the amount of speed and spin with h3 cant be played with tenergy
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 2:22pm
In my humble opinion. I feel there are a few reasons but mostly because it is better at serving, short pushing, and with proper technique it can handle backspin and dead balls a little better. All of these situations take place close to the table which is trademark of the Chinese style of play. Eurojap rubbers handle incoming topspin easier and Chinese rubber offers no advantage with incoming topspin but since the majority of rallies (especially with Chinese players) are concluded before topspin rallies begin, Chinese players feel the aforementioned close to the table advantages are worth it. Speed gluing also helps minimize the disadvantage Chinese rubbers have against incoming topsin.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 2:37pm

I think the Chinese National team coaches and players are constantly trying new solutions, checking if some new material or technique can be used more effectively. And once discovered, there is great incentive for players to adopt new materials and techniques, to get an edge over opponents. For example, look at Ma Long: he learned to loop the bh, then to banana flip. He could not always do that. Even forehand counterloop at the table, where you have to crouch instead of moving farther, is a relatively new discovery, which Ma Long has integrated only recently in his game. (And XX and ZJK haven't yet)

The same holds for materials: Ma Long and others are constantly experimenting as we know. Just look at the recent episode with Yan An and T05Fx.

For these reasons I believe that, if T05 on fh (for example) could produce more effective strokes with a different technique, Ma Long and others would adopt them and change their technique accordingly. The incentive for them to do it is just too big: they risk getting surpassed by newer players.

That's why I don't buy the explanation "they are using tacky just because that's what they started with / what they've always used".

All we can do is guess at these things.
But what you have ignored is the amount of sponsorship that comes from DHS and how important it is to have a Chinese brand on the CNT. 
From reports from others on this forum and what ex-players have told me, the CNT get an enormous amount of rubbers, balls etc from DHS. This I assume is on top of the straight money payment. I doubt that Butterfly could afford that many free tenergies. The players also get the best and latest rubber stuff whether generally available or not.
But guess what, they still use Tenergy whether individually Butterfly sponsored or not. That to me says it all.
You can talk about all the pros and cons that you want of different rubbers. But just like PenH Vs shakeH. rubber choice comes down to individual preferences. And those preferences are skewed towards what feels good to said individual largely because of how he learned the game originally.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

I think it is like the old Penhold V Shakehand question.
People play how they were initially taught and with the equipment they were given.
I think most Chinese use the Chinese rubbers because that is what they started with. It is only relatively recently that an ordinary Chinese player could even think about affording a Euro/Jap rubber and/or blade.

This is correct.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic