FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Concavity on the blade. WHAT's FOR?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 10:00pm
I don't surpose it to be wide spread, 
 lets look at what needs to happen
 1. sanding or milling out most or all of the top ply of a blade, but not the edges (most plys are only 1 or 2 mms at the most (I have no idea realy) but the top ply is there for a reason or will it be ok to have a thick and thin top ply, that may now be down to the next ply or carbon level
 2. then using glue and/or tuner and/or matching concurved sponge to make the top sheet perfectly flat and even... making sure no air pockets or sunken give away
 3. Then take this gouged out bat to a international competition and hand it over for inspection to trained experts

nothing adds up for me, but I did see Adam talking about this over a few years ago. ok if the ITTF think there is some kind of new cheating method going on , some easy fix method of taking off the rubbers and inspecting blades at the end of players last game and if caught with a dug out bat the player gets a two year ban etc etc, or just write a letter to all assosiations that anyone caught will get a lengthy ban

from Adam to OOKT in 2009 ... about the new upcoming authorisations/approvals you are discussing, for blades and sponges. Now, I can understand why you want this made for blades, ... that some manufactiurers shave the surface of the blade to make it concave in order to use thicker than 4mm racket covering. This is not fair ...

Edited by smackman - 01/01/2014 at 10:18pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 10:28pm
I can imagine a 7-ply blade transformed into a 5-ply by gauging all the top ply a 1/2 inch from the edges; that's kind of easy to do; for example from a 

Koto Limba - Carbon - Kiri Core - Carbon - Limba - Koto 

we would end up with a 

Limba - Carbon - Kiri Core - Carbon - Limba.

with the koto outer remaining 1/2 inch all around the edges.

What does not seem so easy is to boost a rubber then only when the boosting is all done, shaving the sponge on the edges to make the rubber fit the blade without any uneven mark.

When I see how easy it is to screw up with a poor WBG job, I imagine the task above requires extremely high skills for the control desk to be duped and not see through the topsheet that something is fishy.

I guess I do not see exactly how it is done but I can't imagine another way.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 10:45pm
It was obviously used with matching purposly made sponges, we all know who would have been making the custom rubbers to suit. Factory matched you would never pick it. On a 7.5mm 7 ply blade you could bring the middle down to 5.5 and gain a full mm on each sponge. That would be a large performance advantage
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Not sure why you're so worked up about this.
 I took it that igorponger heard an interesting tt conspiracy and wanted the thoughts of the forum. What's your problem with that?
It is just what you said.  A rumor probably started by igorponger himself.   It is a waste of time, bandwidth and disk space.

This idea is non-sense and rates right up there with pausing to generate more power/speed.
Well apparently it does make a difference.....I think you owe igorponger an apology!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:17am
I AGREE AND AM STILL WAITING...YES!

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:20am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:34am
Bear in mind he is lying.  This is a way for ITTF to get a cut of blade sales by having to approve the blades.

It doesn't mean that someone somwhere didn't try to make a concave blade, but I don't believe Adham.  The Chinese folks I would tend to believe.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 1:29am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 1:32am
Lying aside, there is a high chance that post is the source that has led to igorponger's creating this thread. The dates of Adham's post and the news feeds happen to be within a week's time, so I'm inclined to view them as pointing at the same thing less the particulars.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 8:01am
I have heard of this kind of thing back in the black and black days when combi players wanted to use extra sponge on their anti-side. At that time rackets were not inspected. There were wild rumors about various twiddlers having doctored their bats, and I did see the bat of a club mate, who had 2 layers of sponge disguised with edge tape -but he wasnt going to set the world on fire with his game. I came to the conclusion that the histeria generated by black and black was the main active force rather than people going to the trouble and expense of hollowing out bats.
But these days manufacturers hollowing out the sweet spot, why should they do it, and how can they do it. It makes the bat illegal, So they cant market it. It wouldn't make sense except as a private arrangement with their sponsored players and that would be very risky for both sides. Which brings you back to the players themselves. Maybe they might try to get the "MAXEST" rubbers from their suppliers and then sand the centre of the racket themselves and mill the outer edge of the sponge in some way. Such activity would be very difficult to conceal from the rest of the team. However all athletes tend to have an obsession/compulsion to try for every advantage and a constant worry that others are doing it and getting away with it.
Having read the google translation of Cai's remarks, I think its likely that if Cai got news of some idiots even thinking of going down this road, he decided to knock it on the head, while simultaneously scoring a propaganda coup for being proactive in dealing with it. China doesnt need these tricks to be on top, and it certainly can do without anything that is bad for the fantastic image they have made for the CNT
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:00am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Lying aside, there is a high chance that post is the source that has led to igorponger's creating this thread. The dates of Adham's post and the news feeds happen to be within a week's time, so I'm inclined to view them as pointing at the same thing less the particulars.

Probably right about tht.

PPP writes what I was thinking. 
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:13am
I wonder how ITTF is going to test the rackets? There is a potentially huge liability in that. Let's say they remove the rubber from a racket belonging to a player who has just won the world championship and the racket (which turns out to be legal) is ruined in the process. Who is going to compensate the player for his loss which could be worth thousands of dollars on the auction market (Ebay among others)? Not to mention the huge amount of man-hours training the player spent getting used the racket.

An X-ray machine could be used to inspect the rackets but that sounds expensive and radioactive...

Just a thought from a racket manufacturer.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

I wonder how ITTF is going to test the rackets? There is a potentially huge liability in that. Let's say they remove the rubber from a racket belonging to a player who has just won the world championship and the racket (which turns out to be legal) is ruined in the process. Who is going to compensate the player for his loss which could be worth thousands of dollars on the auction market (Ebay among others)? Not to mention the huge amount of man-hours training the player spent getting used the racket.

An X-ray machine could be used to inspect the rackets but that sounds expensive and radioactive...

Top of my head answer would be...press on the rubber. You should feel the margins bottom out faster than the center if indeed it were concave. Very thick rubbers, or the very hard rubbers/sponges would be the problem though

Edited by davidwhang - 01/02/2014 at 11:33am
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:36am
I think all this equipment might have an effect on the top 100 in the world. The rest of us - improving our technique and fitness will have far more influence in our game than worrying about equipment. 

Butterfly MPS
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

Top of my head answer would be...press on the rubber. You should feel the margins bottom out faster than the center if indeed it were concave. Very thick rubbers, or the very hard rubbers/sponges would be the problem though

I don't think you can tell the difference in .2mm thickness by feel.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I think all this equipment might have an effect on the top 100 in the world. The rest of us - improving our technique and fitness will have far more influence in our game than worrying about equipment. 

But we are talking about what top players may do to get the edge...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

But we are talking about what top players may do to get the edge...
oh...then....never mind!
Butterfly MPS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:29pm
Remember with TK and the speed glue.... He tried to hide it from his teammates by gluing up in the WC, but they found out. In the same way any national team member (of any country) who suddenly developed an extra 10% on his fh by whatever method would incur the suspicion of his teammates - and his teammates are his real competitors. So I think there is huge risk for trying something like this. China for instance must have learned from the controversy over drugs with LGL and the danger of ruining China's reputation over something which they just did not need to do, in view of their superiority. (I accept LGL's innocence btw, I simply cannot credit a person of such intelligence,doing something so stupid ).
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

I accept LGL's innocence btw, I simply cannot credit a person of such intelligence,doing something so stupid.
like publicly slapping Hao Shuai's face in a restaurant, in front of all his teamates and other customers, for answering the phone? 
LGL maybe be intelligent but that surely does not stop him from doing (and saying) stupid things.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 12:49pm
Not pleasant perhaps, but not necessarily stupid. Being a leader involves a lot more than being seen as a nice guy.
If he had a rule about this, and Hao broke it in a public place, then maybe action was necessary.
But I dont know all the facts about Hao and the phone. Do you?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I accept LGL's innocence btw, I simply cannot credit a person of such intelligence,doing something so stupid.
like publicly slapping Hao Shuai's face in a restaurant, in front of all his teamates and other customers, for answering the phone? 
LGL maybe be intelligent but that surely does not stop him from doing (and saying) stupid things.

Weren't they drunk??

China has one of strickest top down authority system, where underlines have no rights! 
LGL did it to maintain the integrity of the system… LOL 

Any sports coach should not let his players disrespects him like that!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 2:39pm

Not pleasant perhaps, but not necessarily stupid. Being a leader involves a lot more than being seen as a nice guy.
If he had a rule about this, and Hao broke it in a public place, then maybe action was necessary.
But I dont know all the facts about Hao and the phone. Do you?

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Weren't they drunk??

China has one of strickest top down authority system, where underlines have no rights! 
LGL did it to maintain the integrity of the system… LOL 

Any sports coach should not let his players disrespects him like that!
Isn't side effect of using steriods - "rage"?

Edited by jrscatman - 01/02/2014 at 2:58pm
Butterfly MPS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 5:58pm
I reckon Hao is lucky he Wasnt working for Alex Ferguson! (ex man united manager)
but seriously this is just confirmation that LGL is a leader operating in a culture where disrespect to authority figures and elders is not tolerated. If he did nothing he would be seen as weak. To lead a group of world class athletes all with huge egos you need to set rules and stick to them. A pretty basic rule for a top coach is: "When I speak you players listen"
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 6:39pm
I had the Chinese translated by a Chinese person, not Google translate.
There is no mention of concave.   The articles do talk about grinding the paddles down, and then building up the edge by the handle with nail polish or something similar because that is where the rubber thickness is measured. Obviously the rest of the ground portion of the blade is hidden by the edge tape. 

I was right about the idioms.   Google translate used the term 'hand and foot' which is a literal translation of the Chinese.  It doesn't mean anything in an English context.  'hand and foot' is a Chinese idiom for not doing things legally or the right way.  Maybe 'under handed' would be a good translation to an english idiom.

I thought the pros don't bother with edge tape because they don't stick with the same rubbers long enough to make it worth the hassle.  That is unless they are hiding something.

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

phhsssh these arn't social players who change their rubber every two years, I would expect most pro's would peel the rubber off after every competition anyway, 
If the ITTF wants to inspect a blade without rubber then they should
 I would find it  scary if the ITTF tried to regulate the thousands apon thousands of existing blades
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2014 at 2:19am
SEEING IS BELIEVING...

To me, the whole issue about the "shaved blades" is just a smoke without fire.

None of such a blade is still found at Pro Tours events. Again, should the such racket modifications be really in use someday, they are very easy for the umpire to control just by taking an eye examination on the racket.

Again, once you have some non-standard concav blade you need non-standard BUCKLED rubbers as well.
I know not any manufacturer greedy enough to take the risk of producing the illegal rubbers and blades, and I know not of any pro player reckless enough to practise deception of the kind.

Lastly, you would be utterly unable to use the buckled rubbers because of lack of control.
   ----------
I do not believe all the whispers of the misterious shaved blades till I see this blade in reality.. Not before.

-------------

To speak further more, ITTF has now undertook some experiments with rubbers over 4mm thick.   If they do legalize those someday, players all get disinterested in those concave blades. Yes..
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

SEEING IS BELIEVING...

To me, the whole issue about the "shaved blades" is just a smoke without fire.

None of such a blade is still found at Pro Tours events. Again, should the such racket modifications be really in use someday, they are very easy for the umpire to control just by taking an eye examination on the racket.

Again, once you have some non-standard concav blade you need non-standard BUCKLED rubbers as well.
I know not any manufacturer greedy enough to take the risk of producing the illegal rubbers and blades, and I know not of any pro player reckless enough to practise deception of the kind.

Lastly, you would be utterly unable to use the buckled rubbers because of lack of control.
   ----------
I do not believe all the whispers of the misterious shaved blades till I see this blade in reality.. Not before.

-------------

To speak further more, ITTF has now undertook some experiments with rubbers over 4mm thick.   If they do legalize those someday, players all get disinterested in those concave blades. Yes..
Some people want to use even thicker sponge than 4mm (the power loop drivers whose styles got affected by the thinner sponges because it forced them away from the soft rubbers they prefer still exist) so people will likely always cheat no matter the limits.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2020 at 9:19pm
In China Super League Teams most of players have now got this device of their own. A decent discount of the product is now allowed for China top-masters to be able to obtaint this device for daily use.

Every skilled ping-pang fan needs this device of his own, to secure his life of any mishaps and misfortunes whatever.

Edited by igorponger - 07/05/2020 at 9:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic