FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Speed Glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Cochese Cochese wrote:

They sell it at auto part stores, O'Rielly and Advanced Auto both stock it in my area. Gonna have to order some cheap 729 rubber or something and give it a try.

Question....do you apply it just like normal glue? One layer on rubber, one layer on blade, let dry and stick it on

Yep, that's the stuff (although I never used that particular brand).  Some on blade, some on rubber, let dry, should take about 5 minutes, stick it on, play.  Crazy stuff.  Use it in a well ventilated space.  Don't use it on a an expensive rubber.  Cheap 729 will be ok.  If you want to spend more, something like Sriver FX was actually designed to be used with glue and I notice they still sell it.  Plain regular Mark V also works great.  With speed glue it is pretty much Tenergy.
Sponsored Links

Cochese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cochese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:32am
Thanks for the tips. I build golf clubs for a hobby so I have a decent work space with proper ventilation and protective gear, etc.

I actually have some new gear on the way for Christmas to my self, might give the glue a shot on the H3N I am using now once I get my new blade/rubber.

Edited by Cochese - 12/19/2014 at 10:34am
Tibhar SPW
Adidas P7 Max/Vega Euro 1.8
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 3:50pm
I hope I find that on local stores here and give it a shot.

Edited by regiz.rugenz - 12/19/2014 at 4:24pm
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
rocketscientist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketscientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 8:33pm
Hard to say!
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 2:50pm

:(

Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
Cochese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cochese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 2:52pm
Any O'Reilly auto parts will probably stock it or can order it and have it in a day or two.
Tibhar SPW
Adidas P7 Max/Vega Euro 1.8
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2014 at 4:43pm
I think you can even get it or something like it on Amazon.
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:16am
I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Thanks.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:53am
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Thanks.
Yes, I do that. In my opinion Speed Glue has better adhesion of the rubber to the blade than water based glues. 
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:02am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Yes, I do that. In my opinion Speed Glue has better adhesion of the rubber to the blade than water based glues. 

Ok, thanks for you answer ! :)
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:40pm
Great Post....increasingly hard to order Haifu speed glue from Asia. Lem Oil, i definitely will try if i cant get Haifu speed glue anymore. 
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:49pm

Rema Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid was used by many high-level players back in the day... it's still magical. I have several cans of it still, but never use it anymore.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Rema Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid was used by many high-level players back in the day... it's still magical. I have several cans of it still, but never use it anymore.

Funny and what a coinky dink...i was talking to my coach last week and we were reminiscing about the good old days and he brought up Tip Top. Tip Top was used alot by the higher rated players....and made that huge explosion hitting sound that the whole play area can hear it.....Big smile
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:10pm
Don't people have some stock of new-old-stock (sealed, unopened) speed glue?
(I have unopened stuff from the 38mm era. I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

You could use the real thing.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 10:43pm
Haifu speed glues have whimpy effects compared to any of these vulcanizing fluids, which were the original stuff discovered by Hungarians.  If you want to see the REAL speed glue effect, use the stuff Pondus mentions here, or the stuff I mentioned further up thread.  (They are basically the same thing).  Back when speed glue was legal, I tried some of that Haifu stuff and it just didn't do much compared to what I was used to.  That's not to say it is useless, by current standards we would think it is pretty powerful.  But back in the day we were using some pretty nasty speed glues on rubbers like Mark V, Sriver, Speedy Spin and of course, Bryce FX.  You needed that kind of rocket fuel to get those rubbers to perform.  IN other words, this stuff pretty much IS the real thing.

Remember, you need to remove the rubber and reglue it each time you play.  Do it in a ventilated space, out doors maybe.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%
Nail polish remove 40 %(this stuff has to have a ton of VOC's in it)

Baby oil 10%

Frebreze 5% (to mask the smell of the nail polish and for the extra hint of Voc's)

and some random oils from the Kutchen 5%

This stuff made the loudest sound and played like a speed glue but didn't expand the rubber that much

Nope.  Not nail polish remover.  Better with lighter fluid.  I am not kidding.  That was another alternative some people used vulcanizing fluid (my preference).  Some people would dilute rubber cement with lighter fluid, about 50-50.  Forget the baby oil.  Febreeze is ok.  Forget the nail polish remover, acetone is not a great additive (we tried it).
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yep, that's the stuff (although I never used that particular brand).  Some on blade, some on rubber, let dry, should take about 5 minutes, stick it on, play.  Crazy stuff.  Use it in a well ventilated space.  Don't use it on a an expensive rubber.  Cheap 729 will be ok.  If you want to spend more, something like Sriver FX was actually designed to be used with glue and I notice they still sell it.  Plain regular Mark V also works great.  With speed glue it is pretty much Tenergy.

It is interesting that you compare the Speed glued Sriver FX (or Mark V) to Tenergy. I think you meant as good as.... 

However, the rubber properties are still very different from what I can deduce - for example Tenergy has an extreme grippy top sheet -  together with the spring sponge it grabs the ball and generates enormous spin, and allows for easy 3rd ball attack vs underspin.

Sriver FX glue would accomplish the same but in a different way - the top sheet is not as grippy (therefore the top sheet itself not as spinny) - however, the Sriver sponge when glued softens, expands and allows air mollecules in - essentially becoming a very springy sponge and stretching the topsheet which becomes very reactive. 

This to me would mean that on medium / high velocity shots where the sponge is activated intense spin can be generated, but on touch shots, the Sriver FX glued should be less reactive to incoming spin and have better placement because the topsheet is not as grippy.

I am not sure about this - would you agree Baal ? 

I have been curious for a long time as to whether the properly glued classics were better than Tenergy and others we have now. 

For some reason there are some areas (touch, control, ability to handle incoming spin, variation of play, short game, and even possibly play far away from the table) I remember classics as being better. However, the game now has become more aggressive than before, backhand receives are a lot more aggressive, and general play too....it seems that what newer rubbers lack, they then make up for in some way and lead to a more attacking game in general.... then again maybe the game has become more aggressive because we cannot conceal the service anymore, and therefore the opponent can receive more aggressively from the 2nd ball....

OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 12:20am
Clarence, I would like to give a smart answer.  What you write sound reasonable enough, as usual. 

The problem is that I haven't played with any properly speed glued rubber since about 2008.  I have probably forgotten the details of what it was like.  I know speed glued Bryice felt good, it was more than fast enough (Mark V was too if you glued it heavily) and it was spinny and loud.  I don't actually know that if I tried it know whether I would still like it!  I always thought Mark V had a pretty grippy natural rubber topsheet, but I honestly haven't looked at one lately and compared it to Tenergy.  APW46 might remember more about this. 

What I was thinking when I wrote that, based on what I remember, it that the closest thing ever to a modern Tenergy was old speed glued plain Mark V.  But like I say, memory is fallible.

Bear in mind that back then, one's choice of rubber wasn't quite so critical because with glue, everything became kind of similar.

I really like Tenergy now, I am very accustomed to it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:01pm
So if i put 25% Tip Top + 25% Haifu Speed Glue + 25% Naptha + 25% Lem-Oil= Super Speed Glue??? And pretreat the Rubber with 2 to 3 layers of Seamoon......Muah Muahhhhhhh...The Dr. Frankenstein in me cant help but try this concoction.....Would i destroy my H3 Neo prov. or would just make the rubber too uncontrollable? Never hurts to try LOL
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:27pm
Nothing would be stronger than pure Tip Top.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 2:48pm

I'd still might try it....Hee Hee Big smile
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:00pm

you're right, but we can make it last much more longer by mixing with good thin booster
and, more important, pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

you're right, but we can make it last much more longer by mixing with good thin booster
and, more important, pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.

Do you mean you could apply tip top over for example a layer of Falco? I doubt it, it would only have an effect for 2/3 and then dissipate as normal. 

Back in the day when using the glue, we used to seal the head of the bat in sort of vacuum bag (looked like platic foil) that way we could glue the night before playing and the effect was good. I never saw any other attempt to make the effect last longer which actually worked (until millenium chack or smthing similar came out which had an effect for 4 days or so)
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:31pm
Rubber glued with Tip Top would never pass a test unless the machine is broken. Trust me on this. Birds flying overhead get dizzy. Mixing it with oil wont help.

Trust me. I used that kind of stuff for years and its a miracle i have any brain cells left. If you are trying this its just for the fun of it. Partying like its 1999 so to speak. Dont try it in a tournament.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.

Totally agree with Baal. Forget passing any test if even a drop of Tip Top (or any other older stuff) gets into contact with your rubber.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:06pm
Please correct me, if the VOC solvents make speed glued rubber illegal, is there any threshold that Tip Top can still have affect but the VOC test is lower than ITTF allowance?

You stated that Tip Top is very fast evaporated, why don't we keep it ventilate for a while and then seal or trap VOC inside the rubber by any thin booster? Have anyone tried it before?

Edited by chop4ever - 03/29/2015 at 8:07pm
Falco is not a booster
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:15pm
Stop cheating you only have to hit a tiny ball a couple of metres
 I remember those smelly days players using different products at the eating tables
gives me a head ache thinking about it lol

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:16pm

Rubber glued with Tip Top would never pass a test unless the machine is broken. Trust me on this. Birds flying overhead get dizzy. Mixing it with oil wont help.

Trust me. I used that kind of stuff for years and its a miracle i have any brain cells left. If you are trying this its just for the fun of it. Partying like its 1999 so to speak. Dont try it in a tournament.

I didn't say I mixed them into one bottle. I've started playing pingpong before speed glue has banned and I couldn't forget that kind of feeling. In China we still using speed glue because there is no ITTF VOCs test in a lower tournament. So people need an ideal of long last speed glue, booster is expensive and inconvenient.
Falco is not a booster
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:07pm
If you are not going to be tested, and don't care about the rules, why not just glue each time you play the way we did in the old days? 

The other thing I need to emphasize is that tip top (and all other vulcanizing agents) and the oldest speed glues have an incredibly high level of VOCs in them.  More than was in the glues you could buy from TT companies from about 2003 (or maybe 2001??) onward.  There is no way anyone could use even a small amount of it now and escape detection in any ITTF event or national event with testing. 

But if you want the largest possible speed glue effect that you can get, that is the stuff you want.

smackman is right about the smell, sometimes I think it's amazing the whole gym didn't just explode.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:17pm
The answer from organic chemistry is that the booster (a somewhat viscous but very non-polar substance such as paraffin) will not trap the highly non-polar VOCs from the speed glue in the sponge.  The VOCs will be freely soluble in the booster, will very rapidly diffuse through it, and from there to the air.  My guess is that it might slow the escape to the air but only very slightly.  That much I am sure about.  At the same time, it is quite likely that the booster might actually reduce some of the speed glue effect of the vulcanizing agent (although I am less sure about that).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic