Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Maxxx 500 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Maxxx 500 Review
    Posted: 02/18/2014 at 6:58am

Joola Maxxx 500
weight: 71-72 grams
hardness: hard
speed: off
test blade: 7 ply all wood blade with limba and ayous plies (adidas strike wood 7)

After being given a Joola Maxxx 450 by my friend Philip last year, I was given a Joola Maxxx 500 for me to review. I really liked the  450 version because it was medium and spinny with good attacking speed. I was intrigued with the 500 version because this is the hardest ESN rubber I have ever tried. I like medium chinese hard rubbers for my forehand and so I opted to try this.

The red rubber above is the 450 version and the black one is the 500 version. Take note that both have identical sponges despite the difference in color. The 450 has a white cream sponge and the 
500 has the orange sponge. They seem to have similar pore sizes and even identical topsheets. The topsheet has a grainy and very grippy surface.

When I was pressing the 500 against my fingers it felt very hard but the topsheet is medium soft. The hardness reminds me of a 38-39 degree DHS Neo H3. It's like a bouncy Palio Thors minus the tackiness and with a softer topsheet. It seems upon observation that the spacing of the pimples on all the Maxxx rubber series have the same spacing and sizes. 

I was expecting the Maxxx 500 to be very fast when I was drilling using fh and bh drives with it but suprisingly I would rate it only as an off rubber instead of off+ which is a good thing because it's more forgiving. It felt bouncy and fast but the hardness of the sponge seem to prevent me from making the ball faster unless I swing harder. In terms of speed, the 500 version is a tad slower than the 450 when I was driving, smashing and spin driving the rubber. You can feel less compression on the sponge of the 500 and more on the 450 version and somehow it has it's own perks and downsides which i'm gonna explain a lil bit more.

I think the Maxxx 500 was designed for specific players with specific styles and not for all around players. It's properties can be both a blessing or a minus depending on your style. It felt very hard that if you closed your eyes you can easily mistook it as a chinese rubber especially when driving or smashing. Also, I felt the 500 wasn't designed far from the table. The 450 version has a longer trajectory and is easier to spin with on loops. On blocking, both passive and active, you will need to adjust 

I think there will be a split between players on whether they will love or hate this rubber. On the plus side, if you are used to a chinese rubber especially on the forehand like palio thors or the hurricane and skyline series, you will surely love the maxxx 500. The hard sponge combined with the medium or medium soft topsheet bites the ball very well even without the tackiness like that of the H3 the 500 is very spinny. I think it almost felt like a hybrid rubber when I was looping or spin driving with it but with more speed and almost the same level of spin. The 500 excels in brush loops or thin contact on the ball. This is the very ideal stroke for the rubber because it needs a Chinese style of brush or contact on its topsheet. On the 500 topsheet you can compress the ball better despite the hard sponge, on the Neo H3 you can compress the ball less but because of its tackiness you can brush and spin the ball well. The 500 produces a spinny and medium to high arc on loops. The 450 is spinnier if you compress the ball harder on the sponge whiel the 500 is spinnier if you brush like it's a chinese rubber. It's good attacking especially near or above the table depending on your timing. Again, it spins like a chinese rubber minus the tackiness. 

On other things like serving and pushing, I don't have any problems using it in fact I felt it is easy to serve with spinny serves and pushing was also very good because IMO hard rubbers push better and serve better as long as your contact is good. However on more delicate strokes like a drop shot you would need to adjust more to control the ball since without the tackiness 

Overall, the Maxxx 500 is very good you just not to have the skills to fully utilize its potential and also have some sort of specific style that will enable you to brush the ball properly. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 7:02am
Wow.  Very porous sponge.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Wow.  Very porous sponge.

Looks more porous than the other current-gen ESN sponges. It looks more like the older ones from the Evolution or Bluefire M series.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 7:45am
yeah, it's very porous, if not it would be very heavy. this is the hardest ESN rubber with 50 degree hardness
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 7:58am
Great close-ups yogi! Thumbs Up I look forwards to your review!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 8:57am
thanks alex, the regular digital camera did the trick hehe

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 8:14pm
updated with review. thanks to greenpaddle.com for the maxxx 500

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 9:02pm
Thanks Yogi, nice review!

I was expecting it to be similar the Bluefire M1... perhaps not...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 10:18pm
the rhyzm 48 degrees is closer to the bluefire m1 and this is not even close to the 500's hardness

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 11:31pm
Yogi, i agreed with your entire description and then I read your last line that Rhyzm is more like Bluefire than this. No way. Rhyzm is completely different feel than bluefire and different game as well. This 500, while different, is much closer to M1. Actually maxx 500 is something like harder M1. However it has the same advantages and disadvantages as M1 - ridiculously spiny even with a little brushing, but also rather poor control compared to Rhyzm. This soft grippy topsheet just bites any incoming spin and the ball refuses to go straight. For me. Rhyzm is.. exact opposite.. not good for brushing but incredible control. BH blocks with the Maxx 500 require adjustment you say. Agree completely, just don't know how much you can ultimately adjust. BH block with 48 degree Rhyzm is like pointing your finger directly where you want to go. Its just stupid easy.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2014 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Thanks Yogi, nice review!

I was expecting it to be similar the Bluefire M1... perhaps not...

@yogi : How would you compare this with Donic Bluefire JP01 ? 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2014 at 1:16am
right2niru, sorry haven't tried the BF JP01

assiduous, i was comparing the 3 rubbers as the rhyzm closer to the m1 at least in terms of play and feel. i just can't relate the m1 and maxxx 500. they are world's apart

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2014 at 1:32am
maybe your memory is betraying you yogi, i remember you made your review of Rhyzm long time ago. I have Rhyzm on every blade that I own, and both sides too, and I use WBG, not RC, and Rhyzm has much harder topsheet than M1 or Maxx500, and the touch and feel is completely different. 
Now that I think about it i also disagree that Maxx feels like chinese rubber. The sponge is too springy. If you know a chinese rubber with such catapult I am willing to test it immediately. Perhaps other users of Maxx can weigh in, but i think its still a rather lively rubber. Especially for me, since I make almost perpendicular impact and sink the ball in the sponge as much as I can. It was rather jumpy if you manage to compress that tough sponge. 
I sold my Maxx500 though.. even on TBS i couldn't make it go straight. It is best for ZJK opening loops, picks up very easy. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2014 at 1:40am
the maxxx 450 was less controllable than the 500 and i never find it too springy. yes it is a fast rubber but not on the level of rhyzm. rhyzm 48 is still faster than the maxxx 500. the maxxx 500 as i'm 100% sure feels like a chinese rubber without the tackiness in terms of the hard feel and the capability of brushing the ball. sorry, i never found the maxxx 500 too fast. my strokes on it are like my strokes when using neo h3 and i didn't need to adjust much.

nonoy_m View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nonoy_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2014 at 8:56pm
Hi yogi_bear,

can you recommend blades which would suit the maxxx 500?

tabletennis for health
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 12:00am
i'd go with all wood blades especially the ones with limba outer plies

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2014 at 12:07am
clipper wood, infinity vps, startus powerwood, adidas challenge speed, adidas challenge force

Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 3:17am
Yogi, would the Maxxx 500 be a good BH rubber, ala T64. How does it block, passive and active? Is it sensitive to incoming spin? How would you rate it in receiving serves?
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 4:25am
they are world's apart because the t64 is soft, this is very hard. it has this hard feel when blocking but it's manageable. on active blocks or punch blocks i could say it's a little better. not that sensitive to spin which is good and i love doing spinny push chops with it because it pushes like a chinese rubber without tackiness. you need to adjust on drop shots as service receives because it's bouncy

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 5:15am
Very yummy, and as always thanks for the informative review!
Hautamaeki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hautamaeki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 5:33am
I have MAXXX500 and MAXXX450, and I can say they are one of the best rubbers out there, on FH I just picked 1Q XD and not MAXXX 500 because the tibhar is harder and I do prefer that, on BH 450 is out of this world, I was playing yesterday and the BH loop against backspin lands in the other side and bounces very low and the guy was getting very angry with that. 1Q XD dont have that type of bouce but is very fast. If MAXXX 500 was hard like 1QXD i would go with 500,because I think it gives me more spin. 

Best rubbers nowadays, 1Q Xd, 5Q, MAXXX500 and MAXXX 450 IMO
Oyabun View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyabun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2014 at 10:02pm
Best of Five Carbon Light Allround
Friendship Focus 3 Snipe (FH)
Friendship Focus 3 Snipe (BH)
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 2:38am
From my search more review I think Im very interest this for my bh and I want someone help me for these questions
1.this can be for bh rubber (open loop, flip on table,brush loop )
2.Will it go down surly on table?(I mean not so long or end of table, I like safe zone not so long especially when I'm flip on the table)
3.it's high throw?(compare with other like tg05,el-p,bluefire,tg25)
4.what's level of speed when compare tg(05,25,64),(1q,5q,1q VIP,1q sound, 5q VIP),evolution series
5.what's rubber near this in terms hardness(evolution mxp,1q,1q xd,bluefire m1)?
U don't need answer every questions depends on your experience,so thank
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 3:26am
What do you think about 7,9 or 11 ply hinoki wood with this rubber?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 7:35am
From my search more review I think Im very interest this for my bh and I want someone help me for these questions
1.this can be for bh rubber (open loop, flip on table,brush loop ) 
yes, if you prefer harder rubbers you can brush the ball easily in the backhand
2.Will it go down surly on table?(I mean not so long or end of table, I like safe zone not so long especially when I'm flip on the table)
not hard to do flips and fairly controllable
3.it's high throw?(compare with other like tg05,el-p,bluefire,tg25)
medium to high, t05 has higher throw almost same level with el-p
4.what's level of speed when compare tg(05,25,64),(1q,5q,1q VIP,1q sound, 5q VIP),evolution series
almost teh same with 05, t64 is faster, 1q series is definitely faster, almost same speed with 5q vip
5.what's rubber near this in terms hardness(evolution mxp,1q,1q xd,bluefire m1)?
its harder than all of the rubbers you have mentioned by 1-2 degrees

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 7:37am
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

What do you think about 7,9 or 11 ply hinoki wood with this rubber?

it would feel very hard and somewhat fast. the 500 maxxx is better suited for medium stiff blades with limba outer plies or koto

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2014 at 1:09pm
" It's like a bouncy Palio Thors minus the tackiness and with a softer topsheet." ....

that's very close.... Ha ha!

Yogi... nice review!
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 3:43pm
I got mine a week ago and  I have played about 10 hours with it. I must say it is a very good rubber with very good spin capabilities. It is better for the forehand because it takes more impact to activate it than a Maxxx 450. It does not lose pace 3 meters off the table, so good job Joola. In one sentence I would describe it as Baracuda+. Compared to Rasant Powergrip: its topsheet is softer and overall it feels a little softer but faster.

In spite of all its good qualities there is still a gap between it and T05. I feel a fresh T05 offers more control when you are doing high speed counterlooping. Somehow T05 feels more solid but I think it is due to the sponge. The springsponge's capacity to condense and deliver energy into the ball is still better than the ESN sponge and as a result there is a little uncertainty for the Maxxx user on occasions, especially when fishing / lobbing. The 450 solves this problem better but its topspeed is lower unfortunately.

I do not regret buying it and I will report back on how it holds up after about 60 hours of use.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 04/18/2015 at 3:47pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2015 at 3:53pm
I forgot to say that it is an option for those who are unable to play with Bluefire M1/M2 like me. The Maxxx's topsheet and the way it grabs the ball and propels it forward shows that Joola distributes an ESN product that addresses the issues with the run of the mill Bluefire line.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2015 at 1:06pm
After hitting about 40 hours with it I felt it became dead. I put it back in its package sometime in May and left it there until Wednesday. I played with  it today and to my surprise, the previously hard rubber became Joola Maxxx 300, to be ironical. The topsheet grab was still there but the sponge became insanely soft and the sheet has lost a lot of power compared to when it was new. My only logical explanation to this is that it is the heavy factory boosting it contained that kept the rubber expanded and firm when it was new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic