Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waldner dominated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Originally posted by SKRHG SKRHG wrote:

Yea... Waldner os far too old... he doesn't do much either... just blocks... he doesn't even have footwork any more... so I'm not too surprised when he loses against someone who can actually get to the ball and play aggressively.  I wonder when Waldner is going to retire...

I don't understand, especially considering that Ma Lin, Wang Liqin and Chen Qi retired and they're still substantially better and far more active than Waldner

waldner is wayyyy older than the retired chinese guys you mentioned

If Wang Liqin and Chen Qi played for another country that didn't have younger players ready to take over then they would still be playing cause they would be number one in that country so I don't see how that is a comparison at all. And Waldner is retired from international play. I'm sure we will see Wang Liqin and Chen Qi play again just not on the international stage anymore.
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 12:23am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Originally posted by SKRHG SKRHG wrote:

Yea... Waldner os far too old... he doesn't do much either... just blocks... he doesn't even have footwork any more... so I'm not too surprised when he loses against someone who can actually get to the ball and play aggressively.  I wonder when Waldner is going to retire...

I don't understand, especially considering that Ma Lin, Wang Liqin and Chen Qi retired and they're still substantially better and far more active than Waldner

waldner is wayyyy older than the retired chinese guys you mentioned

Waldner is 11 years older than Liu Guoliang (not the fittest guy these days).  He is six months younger than Jiang Jialiang (maybe you don't know who that guy is), a couple of years older than Wang Tao, and a year older than Persson.  Let's see how Ma Lin is looking in 14 years, that's how long it will take to make a fair comparison.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 5:49am
I was lucky enough to see both Waldner and Persson at one of the clubs in the UK recently and have to say that I couldn't have met and chatted to two nicer people in table tennis or anywhere else. The touch and control they have on the ball is amazing still. They are the golden era still playing and best enjoying the game. You have to remember that in 2004 and 2008 both Waldner and Persson made it to the semi finals of the Olympics at or around over 40 years old. Most if not all of the top Chinese Players of their era had retired by that age and are not playing at that level because they can't anymore.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 6:54am
They (Chinese) have more internal competition. WLQ or Ma Lin could still play for any other national team in the world with their standard of play.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 7:00am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

I was lucky enough to see both Waldner and Persson at one of the clubs in the UK recently and have to say that I couldn't have met and chatted to two nicer people in table tennis or anywhere else. The touch and control they have on the ball is amazing still. They are the golden era still playing and best enjoying the game. You have to remember that in 2004 and 2008 both Waldner and Persson made it to the semi finals of the Olympics at or around over 40 years old. Most if not all of the top Chinese Players of their era had retired by that age and are not playing at that level because they can't anymore.

I don't agree with that statement.  Given a chance, they can still play at the highest level.  But the young guns are next in line to compete and the older guys must step aside to give them a chance.  If they are still allowed to play, I believe WLQ, Wang Hao and Ma Lin can still be in the top 50 when they are around 40 years old.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

I don't agree with that statement.  Given a chance, they can still play at the highest level.  But the young guns are next in line to compete and the older guys must step aside to give them a chance.  If they are still allowed to play, I believe WLQ, Wang Hao and Ma Lin can still be in the top 50 when they are around 40 years old.

That's what I mean they can't anymore they aren't allowed to. Top Chinese players have such a small window to play in and then have to stop. The next wave of players take over so to dominate the sport. A 40+ year old Ma Lin or Wang Hao would be no where near the level they were earlier in their playing days. You would not expect them to be would you?. People age, people get slower. Its a fact of life.
I would love to see a seniors table tennis event with the older top Chinese and everyone else from that period playing. I don't know if it happens but It would be interesting to see how age plays a part in playing styles and which playing style has longevity.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:35am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

They (Chinese) have more internal competition. WLQ or Ma Lin could still play for any other national team in the world with their standard of play.

True without any doubt whatsoever, who could possibly dispute this?  This is also true I am sure for Chinese players none of us have ever seen or heard of.  But they are much younger than Waldner as I noted above.  Let's see what Ma Lin looks like in 14 years!!!!!  (I suspect he will be a large tub of goo, and I am betting WLQ will look just as fit as now).   If there was a match tomorrow between Jorgen Persson and/or Waldner vs. Wang Tao or even Liu Guoliang, who will you bet on?  Probably would be good matches, just like 20 years ago.  Waldner is really not in great physical shape because he obviously has no interest in training anymore but he is still after all Waldner.  Liu Guoliang (younger than Waldner) could stand to push away from the table a bit sooner himself (but even now could make national teams of any number of countries).  If Waldner wants to occasionally show up and play in a not-too-serious tournament, that is fantastic. 
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:37am
The Chinese players retire early and stop playing, mostly ending up like Liu Guoliang, with some extra kilos.

I wouldn't favour them against the Europeans, a lot of which stay fit and keep playing for longer.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

True without any doubt whatsoever, who could possibly dispute this?  This is also true I am sure for Chinese players none of us have ever seen or heard of.  But they are much younger than Waldner as I noted above.  Let's see what Ma Lin looks like in 14 years!!!!!  (I suspect he will be a large tub of goo, and I am betting WLQ will look just as fit as now).   If there was a match tomorrow between Jorgen Persson and/or Waldner vs. Wang Tao or even Liu Guoliang, who will you bet on?  Probably would be good matches, just like 20 years ago.  Waldner is really not in great physical shape because he obviously has no interest in training anymore but he is still after all Waldner.  Liu Guoliang (younger than Waldner) could stand to push away from the table a bit sooner himself (but even now could make national teams of any number of countries).  If Waldner wants to occasionally show up and play in a not-too-serious tournament, that is fantastic. 

Agreed.  There are many strains of thought on this thread so I was addressing one comment, but agree with everything you wrote.  However, part of the reason why people like Waldner, Persson and Saive are motivated to remain in shape is because they can still play at a relative level for their respective countries that someone like Guo Yuehua can't, though everything I heard about Guo Yuehua suggests that as a one of a kind talent, he could probably have played on for 10 - 15 years longer than he did internationally even for China if the model at the time permitted it.
Cybershape Carbon
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 9:44am

But they are much younger than Waldner as I noted above.  Let's see what Ma Lin looks like in 14 years!!!!! 

+1 Comparing Walder to guys who just retired within the last year who are 14 years younger is completely unfair.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2014 at 10:59pm
I think Waldner was actually playing a decent match, some really cool shots. He is still amazing. I think I can explain his attitude regarding fitness... it is like a reserve he keeps for the future that will be unleashed eventually in order to revive the master. 
Maybe, beginning soon, he will go to the gym for 3 hrs a day, he will run 1 hr, swim 1 hr, he will play/practice TT 4-6 hrs a day, day after day. No booze, no fat pork... he will lose 30 pounds.
After half a year of such regimen he will amaze us again. It might happen, who knows...
JO, we are waiting!

Edited by JacekGM - 08/15/2014 at 11:00pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 2:53am
A few months ago, I saw him playing in Liege (Belgium) in the legend tournament. He was really good and in a good shape.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Waldner isn't THAT old! Look at his contemporaries still playing such as Jorgen Perrson (who moves considerably better) and He Zhi Wen. Ol' Evergreen is just out of shape!

I'd imagine JO plays because he loves the game and has fun (or $$ from sponsors, appearances, etc.)! What more reason does he need. That being said, Waldner could probably step off a plane in america and become the new USA TT champ!
ok, you named two.  Can you name others?

Gao Jun! LOL

Primorac, Saive, Korbel (a little younger), Appelgren, Gatien somewhat.

Chen Weixing here shortly!

Old geezers unite!
Korbel mentioned when he was here for a tournament, he prefers to play golf daily. Don't want to practice TT and do the gym work daily, like he used to when he was competing. Without the constant training, I guess their level drops considerably compared to other competitors.

But Waldner got to the quarters - that's not bad for someone over 45 years at the pro level.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Waldner isn't THAT old! Look at his contemporaries still playing such as Jorgen Perrson (who moves considerably better) and He Zhi Wen. Ol' Evergreen is just out of shape!

I'd imagine JO plays because he loves the game and has fun (or $$ from sponsors, appearances, etc.)! What more reason does he need. That being said, Waldner could probably step off a plane in america and become the new USA TT champ!
ok, you named two.  Can you name others?

Gao Jun! LOL

Primorac, Saive, Korbel (a little younger), Appelgren, Gatien somewhat.

Chen Weixing here shortly!

Old geezers unite!

Korbel mentioned when he was here for a tournament, he prefers to play golf daily. Don't want to practice TT and do the gym work daily, like he used to when he was competing. Without the constant training, I guess their level drops considerably compared to other competitors.

But Waldner got to the quarters - that's not bad for someone over 45 years at the pro level.

Applegren is older than any of them. All the others are younger, in some cases much younger, than Waldner. Even Persson is a few years younger.

However, I don't believe Waldner's problem is age. He likes to drink and he no need to prove himself as an elite player. There is a lot of work and self-disciple in maintaining a professional level of performance and at some point, all players lose that drive on start focusing on the joys of life instead.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 6:20pm
Let's remember that when they played their legends tournament, Waldner still beat all his contemporaries.
Cybershape Carbon
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 7:48pm
That's just not table tennis - the game that Waldner mastered. This is ball bashing with carbon blade and tuned rubbers. 

Edited by ChichoFicho - 08/18/2014 at 7:49pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 9:54pm
What's all this "he likes to drink business", he is just a normal guy, and who knows how much or in what situations he drinks
it just seems like to much copy and paste
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

That's just not table tennis - the game that Waldner mastered. This is ball bashing with carbon blade and tuned rubbers. 

There were carbon blades and heavily speed-glued rubbers throughout the Waldner era (and no matter how you cut it, boosting is not the same as speed glue, and with 38 mm balls carbon was actually a bit of a liability).  Watch a bit of how Gatien played.  I really feel sorry for people who can't appreciate modern table tennis.  I find it really strange.  The great players of our current era are amazing.  For what it's worth, I grew up idolizing players like Joyner, Johansson, Surbek.

Like it or not, there is a reason why people in the top 50 in the world are all below a certain age.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 10:44pm
Waldner has some great points here, sharp play.  He might be missing some of the hunger of his younger years but he's 48 after all.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 1:39am

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

There were carbon blades and heavily speed-glued rubbers throughout the Waldner era (and no matter how you cut it, boosting is not the same as speed glue, and with 38 mm balls carbon was actually a bit of a liability).  Watch a bit of how Gatien played.  I really feel sorry for people who can't appreciate modern table tennis.  I find it really strange.  The great players of our current era are amazing.  For what it's worth, I grew up idolizing players like Joyner, Johansson, Surbek.

Like it or not, there is a reason why people in the top 50 in the world are all below a certain age.

One of the main advantages of speed glue, was controlled blocking. Waldner was one of the best blockers of that era.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/19/2014 at 2:42am
Funny to read all the comments about Waldner being a heavy drinker. Yes, I know the rumours have it that he is, but think guys, he was a top player in TT for a very long time, do you think that would be possible if he was a heavy drinker?

He might drink more then most other top athletes, but, I think most of us, non pro players, drink more then he does.

Yes, he is out of shape, probably many reasons for this, one of them being his back problem, he can't practice as much as he used to. Another might be that he have already achieved pretty much all there is to achieve in TT, so now he enjoys the good life while continuing to do the thing he loves, still at a pretty high level.

Also must comment to those who said he "only blocked", well, I would be very happy to be able to do just that.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic