FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intermediate Player Dilemma!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermediate Player Dilemma!
    Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:07pm
Should an intermediate player use a racket that fits strengths or one that helps improve weaknesses? 

For example:

I hit, punch block, and drive with a pinch of topspin pretty well. However, I cannot do a pure loop or brush loop to save myself. Do you think it's best that I equip myself with a hard, stiff blade and short pips and forget my weaknesses, or buy a softer, flexy blade and some spinney rubbers to help me develop my weaknesses?

*I'm sure this is a question many mid-level players consider or ignore. I direct this at intermediate level because beginners need more rounded rackets and advanced players probably have already committed to one thing or another to play at a high level . . . not easy for them to experiment too much and win matches against top players.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/08/2014 at 10:09pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Do you think it's best that I equip myself with a hard, stiff blade and short pips and forget my weaknesses, or buy a softer, flexy blade and some spinney rubbers to help me develop my weaknesses?

yes
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:33pm
Yup. Been thru the same thought process. I'm sure it sounds odd to some that looping doesn't come naturally to me. I've worked at it...I'm getting better. 

I've used SP. I currently use inverted FH along with LP OX on the BH. I may return to SP. I use the inverted to block and introduce spin (if necessary) during a rally.

Short pips is another kettle of fish. Yes, you can play without looping.  And if you play at the table and you're prepared (and quick enough) to take most balls close to off the bounce then it could work for you.

That said.... assuming your goal isn't playing in any world champion type setting...I'd say go with your predispositions. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't think of your inability to loop as a weakness. What can you do to maximize your strengths?

Generally speaking....looping isn't an equipment issue...it's a technique issue.

Edited by sticharo - 03/08/2014 at 10:44pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:39pm
Ditto tuco. That's what I did as a kid but it was a penhold combination setup with Inverted on forehand and Shortpips on backhand of a thick carbon blade. Looping is an advanced skill that takes a whole lot of learning and training.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:44pm
Simple, use your current setup that you're comfortable with AND get some coaching.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:45pm
or i suggest you go with equipment in between..

Korbel, Korbel Speed, Tibhar power stratus.. they are known to 5ply but not so flexy..
or
dhs pg13, yasaka extra special or any thin 7ply..

In my own experience, i have the best of both worlds... using korbel speed 96gr.. koto outer plies helps in smashing n blocking
and the weight stablise the block.. the block is as good or even better imho to 7ply blades i have tried..

I use dhs skyline 3 n hurricane 3.. the weight is ~200gr but balanced so not feel heavy at all..

cheers
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

. . . Looping is an advanced skill that takes a whole lot of learning and training.

I know a beginner (<6 months) who can do advanced brush looping. I know an experience player (10+years) with coaching galore who cannot brush loop with any consistency (me). 

Edited by tommyzai - 03/08/2014 at 10:49pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by sticharo sticharo wrote:

Short pips is another kettle of fish. Yes, you can play without looping.  And if you play at the table and you're prepared (and quick enough) to take most balls close to off the bounce then it could work for you.

That said.... assuming your goal isn't playing in any world champion type setting...I'd say go with your predispositions. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't think of your inability to loop as a weakness. What can you do to maximize your strengths?

+1 Play your game.

Not having a short game is a weakness. Being bad in service return is a weakness. Not having a good loop I'd only call a limitation. And practically a non factor if you're playing short pips. Still not sure if you're a SP player or not.

What do you love more? I think that's the question. If you love looping and wish you could do that more often, then work on it. If you love the quick reaction, close to the table speed game, then don't worry about it.

Edited by suds79 - 03/08/2014 at 10:50pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:53pm

. . . Looping is an advanced skill that takes a whole lot of learning and training.

I know a beginner (<6 months) who can do advanced brush looping. I know an experience player (10+years) with coaching galore who cannot brush loop with any consistency (me). 

Yeah I actually don't think looping is an advanced technique. Just takes a little practice and some athleticism doesn't hurt either ;)
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:58pm
In my case, I play better against higher level players than good basement players or athletic beginners. WHY? They can also play a good up-close, fast game of hitting off-the-bounce and are not bothered by my LP. They keep up in a rally. If I were able to spin-off a big loop they would not be in the game.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/08/2014 at 11:16pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 11:10pm
At intermediate level performing all strokes well is a big advantage over just one strong stroke.

Learning to loop is a technique issue not so much equipment but do find that a flexy blade and spinny rubbers help a little.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:04am
What is wrong with SP?
I put 802 2.0mm on the c-pen YEO I bought from you. It works well.
There is another at the club that is better than I am that plays c-pen with 1.5m 802.

Playing with LPs is an art.  I too have found that players at my level will generally just try to get the ball back until one of us misses.   I have found there are only two solutions.  One is to be fast enough to attack with the FH and the other is too twiddle and catch them off guard.  I prefer to twiddle because it takes less effort.

If you are playing with LP then learn to twiddle so you can attack those balls that are just bounced back without spin.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:35am
John MacEnroe from Tennis said - if he had to do it all again - he would focus on improving his strengths. I say go with the short pips and maximize your strengths....if that doesn't work, do the other thing!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:58am
Taking some of spin out of the equation by using SP has pros and cons. I have tried SPs many, many times, but cannot get used to the time and flat hitting. I also don't like the straight trajectory of the ball, which often sails long. I realize SPs are capable of spin, but sadly my mechanics are not strong enough to create even the smallest arc to help land the ball on the table. So, I pull off the SP, slap the inverted on and keep trying to generate more spin. I get the ball bending enough to roll over the net and drop onto the table; however, I do not generate enough spin to bother my opponent . . . probably just help him/her tee off. Ohhh, the dilemma.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/09/2014 at 3:17am
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:17am
Stiff medium speed blade, spinny inverted on backhand, punch with it in front of your body like a girl. Then hit with 802/spectol/ on the forehand. It'll suit you just fine and cause major problems for everyone else. This might be hard to explain but the punching shot you hit from the backhand wants to have some variations of curve on it. You should be able to curve the ball either way quite easily with that stroke

Edited by bluebucket - 03/09/2014 at 1:18am
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Yeah I actually don't think looping is an advanced technique. Just takes a little practice and some athleticism doesn't hurt either ;)

You see why I said "a whole lot of learning...", just as the saying goes "some people will never learn."
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 3:32am
If you want to get used to loop brushing and turn it into dynamic stereotype, use a returnboard.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 8:33am
How old are you?  Can you bend your knees 100s of times in a day of playing?  A guy I play with wants to loop, but he is tall and old and can't bend his knees.  He switches equipment every so often but it never makes loops from his straight-up stance.

OP is the Unstoppable EJ Madman so you must have tried T05. Can you loop with tenergy?  If not, an equipment change probably won't fix your loop.  

If you just want to loop for the fun of it and not to win more points, then do it anyway.  If you want to win more then develop your stengths, even if that is hitting or LP.   

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Stiff medium speed blade, spinny inverted on backhand, punch with it in front of your body like a girl. Then hit with 802/spectol/ on the forehand. It'll suit you just fine and cause major problems for everyone else. This might be hard to explain but the punching shot you hit from the backhand wants to have some variations of curve on it. You should be able to curve the ball either way quite easily with that stroke
... and, in case it doesn't work for you that way, you can always play with the spinny side on forehandWink.

Edited by JacekGM - 03/09/2014 at 9:41am
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 11:43am

You see why I said "a whole lot of learning...", just as the saying goes "some people will never learn."

Unfortunately, it's so true. Some bad habits are ingrained and cannot be unlearned.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:02pm

I know an experience player (10+years) with coaching galore who cannot brush loop with any consistency (me). 

change coach
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I know an experience player (10+years) with coaching galore who cannot brush loop with any consistency (me). 

change coach

You probably don't realize that I have a physical disability . . . It is very difficult for me to do the proper stroke with any consistency. I know how to do it and can teach it, but not physically able without using the "wrong" muscles to hoist my arm. I've had some really good coaches. They taught me how . . . just can't do it well. That's where my dilemma is . . . should I try to compensate by using gear that helps me create more spin or try to take spin out of the equation?

Edited by tommyzai - 03/09/2014 at 1:03pm
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

change coach

You probably don't realize that I have a physical disability . . . It is very difficult for me to do the proper stroke with any consistency. I know how to do it and can teach it, but not physically able without using the "wrong" muscles to hoist my arm. I've had some really good coaches. They taught me how . . . just can't do it well. That's where my dilemma is . . . should I try to compensate by using gear that helps me create more spin or try to take spin out of the equation?

ok so you want to loop but have some kind of pain holding you back. you dont know what to focus on, ie flat hitting or topspin.

in my opinion why dont you do both flat hit on the backhand with pips and loop on the forehand with inverted, this will give a little more varieties to your game. you can punch through a serve with pips then proceed to smash it if the return is high which it most likely will if your opponent cant handle pips, also you can counter brush loop far away from the table with FH to save the point if you ever get caught off guard ie. a defensive saving loopSmile.

if you happen to not like it then you can try the other way around pips on FH and inverted on BH and do BH loop instead which is easier, but less powerful. i think this setup will suit you better because it doesn't required you to move as much since your a blocker.

imo equipment makes up for what you lack technique wise, if you have a disabilities that prevent you from twist and turning use equipment to give yourself an edge. nothing shameful in that. just have fun. but if you dont have any pain try to practice the right way to do it, repetitive loop drill is the way either against machine or multiball doesn't matter

as for what equipment to use that's up to you
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 5:17pm
being an old member who stood the test of time in this forum you probably have been advised time and time again to use slow blade and slow rubber.

if I were you for a change I would try:
off+ blade from butterfly (primorac carbon/amultart/photino come to mind)
paired with
tenergy 05 rubbers.

I have been using tenergy25/amultart/tenergy05 for some months and really love it.
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

being an old member who stood the test of time in this forum you probably have been advised time and time again to use slow blade and slow rubber.

paired with
tenergy 05 rubbers.

I have been using tenergy25/amultart/tenergy05 for some months and really love it.

^^^
this LOL
every time i ask for some advice to change my set up there will be at least one person who would tell me to stick with my slower setup haha

the thing is you never know if it fits you or not if you dont try it out yourself, other people opinion and experience will only help so much

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

paired with
tenergy 05 rubbers.

^^^
this LOL
every time i ask for some advice to change my set up there will be at least one person who would tell me to stick with my slower setup haha

the thing is you never know if it fits you or not if you dont try it out yourself, other people opinion and experience will only help so much

equipment doesn't fit you or not.
you have to modify your technique to fit the equipment you are using.

at some point last year I was using an off 5-ply with untuned h3neo(fh) and short pips(bh).
I was using a technique that suited this equipment.
then one day i started using the amultart with both tenergies.
I had to change my technique significantly, but I didn't say "this doesn't suit me".
I said "this is different equipment, I need to change the way I hit the ball".
and I did.
Wink
Surgeon View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:08pm
Are there any pros or high level amateurs who primarily punch block?
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Surgeon Surgeon wrote:

Are there any pros or high level amateurs who primarily punch block?

ai fukuhara punch through the ball with her backhand almost every point not punch block more like flat hitting her BH rubbers are pips

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 1:26am
I'm intrigued by the idea of using a fast, spinny inverted rubber on my BH to help me develop a loop there and using pips of some kind on my FH for flat kills and hitting through spin. Hmmmmm. It's kind of the opposite of what most combo players do, but whatever works, right? 

I'm open for andy and all suggestions. 

Anyone else have or had a similar dilemma?

I guess the bigger, clearer questions is this . . . 

Do you find equipment that suits the way you play or do find equipment and adjust?

Edited by tommyzai - 03/10/2014 at 1:28am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 1:30am

I'm intrigued by the idea of using a fast, spinny inverted rubber on my BH to help me develop a loop there and using pips of some kind on my FH for flat kills and hitting through spin. Hmmmmm. It's kind of the opposite of what most combo players do, but whatever works, right? 

I'm open for andy and all suggestions. 

Anyone else have or had a similar dilemma?

I guess the bigger, clearer questions is this . . . 

Do you find equipment that suits the way you play or do find equipment and adjust?

Talk to AcudaDave -  he can tell you all about it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic