FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Intermediate Player Dilemma!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 1:39am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

How old are you?  Can you bend your knees 100s of times in a day of playing?  A guy I play with wants to loop, but he is tall and old and can't bend his knees.  He switches equipment every so often but it never makes loops from his straight-up stance.

OP is the Unstoppable EJ Madman so you must have tried T05. Can you loop with tenergy?  If not, an equipment change probably won't fix your loop.  

If you just want to loop for the fun of it and not to win more points, then do it anyway.  If you want to win more then develop your stengths, even if that is hitting or LP.   

You don't have to bend your knees to topspin at a U2000 level (I avoid saying "loop" because whether you topspin heavily or not and with enough pace or not is open to judgment).  The key is forearm and wrist strength and flexibility and sometimes upper body/abdominal movement (rotation).  IF your friend develops a decent backhand topspin and then tries to transfer some of that technique to his forehand side, he will be able to topspin from both sides.  It will not be quite the same thing as powerfully looping from both sides, but sometimes, all you need to be able to do is attack chop and figure out how to reflect place with spin.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/10/2014 at 1:42am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 2:08am

How old are you?  Can you bend your knees 100s of times in a day of playing?  A guy I play with wants to loop, but he is tall and old and can't bend his knees.  He switches equipment every so often but it never makes loops from his straight-up stance.

OP is the Unstoppable EJ Madman so you must have tried T05. Can you loop with tenergy?  If not, an equipment change probably won't fix your loop.  

If you just want to loop for the fun of it and not to win more points, then do it anyway.  If you want to win more then develop your stengths, even if that is hitting or LP.   

Well, legs and/or age isn't my looping problem. For me, it's nerve damage/partially paralyzed. In short, I do not have the muscles that a player normally loops with. I don't know if it's worth trying to find some sort of loop compensation via blade, rubber, and an unorthodox style or try to cancel out my spin and the opponents.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Well, legs and/or age isn't my looping problem. For me, it's nerve damage/partially paralyzed. In short, I do not have the muscles that a player normally loops with. I don't know if it's worth trying to find some sort of loop compensation via blade, rubber, and an unorthodox style or try to cancel out my spin and the opponents.

In that case it seems unlikely that your loop would be really strong, even after you put in a ton of work to develop it.  Everyone is used to playing loopers all the time, so a below-average loop would probably be pretty easy to block or counter.  If I were you I would spend all that time developing your less-common hitting, blocking, or chopping game (or all three) and forget looping.  Just cause everyone else does it doesn't mean it is the only way to play TT very well, have a great time, and win a lot of matches.

To your question about which comes first, the style or the equipment, IMO mainly the style choice comes first and then finding (or forever seeking and not finding) equipment to make that style work better.    But choosing your style should take into account your physical limitations, not fight them.  And mainly, decide based on what will make playing TT the most fun for you.  If you have fun looping and lose all your matches, do that anyway.  None of us are going to the Olympics, so who cares?  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:54am
Again, if you have strong wrists, you can generate enough topspin to make a topspin stroke worth developing.   Of course, it shouldn't be your dominant stroke if you can't do it consistently but nowadays, the gap between hitting and looping is much slimmer at the higher levels. Everything is just topspin.
Cybershape Carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 5:08pm
If a player like myself moves to SPs, which SP? Just like inverted, there are many kinds of SPs. I would hate to spend a few years buying and trying them all . . . even though I would . . . I am an EJ Madman.

Which SP has had the most success at the highest level? B-Fly Challenger? 
sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 5:17pm
802-40  At least to start with....
Does everything you need to do with SP pretty well and it's cheap.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 6:13pm

If a player like myself moves to SPs, which SP? 

DHS Dragonow of course.  I have a black sheet mounted on a classic, vintage, collectable DHS blade.  The set up can be yours for $1000 plus $50 insured shipping.  pm me if you want it.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 6:23pm
Tuple 119 max is far easier to play. 802 0X on a midsoft dynamic 2.0 sponge is also a nice transition, if you know how to glue them.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 6:43pm
I would rather go for the very best performance, highest rated SP and suffer through the transition if I pip it. It's not the smartest way to go, but all or nothing is my MO.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/10/2014 at 6:44pm
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 8:11pm
Tommy I wrote a fairly extensive reply about why that setup will work best in your case but I've lost it. In summary, a soft spinny inverted on your back with some pop. Backhand strokes can be 80% wrist and I doubt your limited mobility will have much or any effect on the backhand so look to acquire a normal "punching" backhand with wrist for speed and spin/curve variations, you can make enormous spin with only wrist on the backhand side. Use a classic short pip for deceptive hitting on the forehand, don't use 802-40 its too grippy, you want something hard to play against so use 802-1, spectol, or I believe one of the Haifu pips is also non-grippy when hit flat

Edited by bluebucket - 03/10/2014 at 8:14pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 8:12pm
Don't worry about looping you can be a very good player without one, save the shoulder for other activities
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 8:15pm
I'm actually surprised by the advice. I expected members to be giving me looping advice with the usual frowning of pips, but that's not the case. Tuco has hit with me for hundreds of hours and he, and our various coaches, have suggested SPs for me. Yet, I want the ability to loop and never thought about using the BH for that. Hmmmmm. I would have to re-learn reading spin and give up LPs, however. Hmmmm.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/10/2014 at 8:16pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 9:21pm
We all have to work around what's best for us. There was a kid at my club who doesn't even hold the handle of the blade and uses anti (old dead rubbers) both sides, everything about the way he played was "wrong". I used to think, the poor kid, someone needs to coach him. One thing he did very well was counter hit with very intelligent angles.

One day I couldn't resist anymore and had a hit with him, my goodness!!! he was such a pain in the ass to play against it made me feel sick in the brain. I decided to not interfere with something so strange and special. He was only playing low divisions so wasn't dealing with much spin. Once he does get to play better players they won't I like it, at all!

Edited by bluebucket - 03/10/2014 at 9:21pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:42pm
even if you only do flat shots and never loop I would recommend to use inverted because
1- it's easier to do flat shots with inverted since you need to apply less force and the rubber helps you guide the ball.
2- if one day in 5 years you wish to start looping you can do it, with pips you can't
3- pips are difficult for other players to handle so when training on top of all the natural errors you also need to add the errors due to the pips (the errors that the other guy will make).
so trainings will be less satisfactory.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 10:43pm

I'm actually surprised by the advice. I expected members to be giving me looping advice with the usual frowning of pips, but that's not the case. Tuco has hit with me for hundreds of hours and he, and our various coaches, have suggested SPs for me. Yet, I want the ability to loop and never thought about using the BH for that. Hmmmmm. I would have to re-learn reading spin and give up LPs, however. Hmmmm.

Pips are a legit part of this game. Hitting is a harder way to play than looping for most people because the margin for error on most strokes is less. The good thing is that our lovely sport has a huge mental and spin read component so if you play enough with any equipment, you will often be close to the same level if your spin read s sophisticated enough.
Cybershape Carbon
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

even if you only do flat shots and never loop I would recommend to use inverted because
1- it's easier to do flat shots with inverted since you need to apply less force and the rubber helps you guide the ball.
2- if one day in 5 years you wish to start looping you can do it, with pips you can't
3- pips are difficult for other players to handle so when training on top of all the natural errors you also need to add the errors due to the pips (the errors that the other guy will make).

You can't loop with pips ? You're kidding...
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

You can't loop with pips ? You're kidding...

you can do opening loops but they still don't have the spin or speed of inverted.
with inverted you can loop basically any ball you choose.

also, this is a personal thing, but I found flat hitting with inverted easier than with short pips.
short pips are nice for hitting really close to the table and with the ball rising.
after that it only becomes more difficult.

I played long time with short pips and the only advantages I found were
1- return of serves are easier because of less spin sensitivity and the general deadness of the rubber compared to say a tenergy
2- ball sinking after blocking, but in order for this to work you need to actually be there to block.
against most players blocking once will not win a point so you need to be prepared to block at least 3 or 4 balls which doesn't seem like a very clever strategy.

Edited by puppy412 - 03/10/2014 at 11:54pm
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 12:58pm
i really think inverted on the BH will help you, inverted can also flat hit or drive and block really well and can loop when you need it to. you should try it let us know how it goes.

soome really good BH rubber for that is tenergy 25 really good flat hit and block, some difficulty looping though.

xiom vega euro really good BH rubber it can do anything but doesn't really excel at anything.

xiom vega pro really good at looping but its high throw so it might be difficult to block unless you use active block/ punch block. drives are fast and its not coming back

have not tried tenergy 80 but heard its really good BH rubber it can basically do everything

butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 1:22pm
I like the idea of inverted on BH, but I would have to sacrifice the LP that I use now and become an all out attacker . . . exciting thought, but of course there would be a learning curve and I would need to start paying more attention to incoming spin.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 1:26pm

I like the idea of inverted on BH, but I would have to sacrifice the LP that I use now and become an all out attacker . . . exciting thought, but of course there would be a learning curve and I would need to start paying more attention to incoming spin.

lp both sides and end all this madness now!!!
Shocked
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 1:35pm
Tommy Zai goes to the extreme dark-side and puts LPs on both side of his blade.

OPPONENT
Are you using pips?

Tommy Zai walks over and shows the Opponent both sides.

TOMMY ZAI
Yes, I'm using funky-ass long pips on both sides, and I can attack like a wild man.

OPPONENT
(thinking to him/herself)
I feel sick.

Tommy Zai and the Opponent do a warm-up rally.

OPPONENT
I forfeit. In fact, I quit this ^&*# sport!

Tommy Zai walks away from the table with a bittersweet feeling.

TOMMY ZAI
Why doesn't anyone want to play with me? LOL

Edited by tommyzai - 03/11/2014 at 1:41pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 1:59pm
Saw a guy with medium pips forehand, long pips backhand this weekend.  He took down many loopers until he faced an allround player in the U1950 who just gave him a dead ball/push rally until the allround found balls to smash and loop.  Games were close though.
Cybershape Carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Saw a guy with medium pips forehand, long pips backhand this weekend.  He took down many loopers until he faced an allround player in the U1950 who just gave him a dead ball/push rally until the allround found balls to smash and loop.  Games were close though.

In truth, I wouldn't mind getting to the level whereby I lose to a u1950 player in a close match. I could figure out how to improve from there. :-).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 2:19pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

In truth, I wouldn't mind getting to the level whereby I lose to a u1950 player in a close match. I could figure out how to improve from there. :-).

The guy with the medium pips forehand always stands square to the table (usually right foot slightly in front) so he has no forehand.  He just blocks and hits with the long pips in a rally.  I think after having inverted on the forehand for a long time, he just realized that there was no point having that if he wasn't going to loop with it per se (his serves are pretty basic as well).  Now at least, he can give people weird balls on both sides with one side weirder than the other...

Just pointing out that there are many ways of winning matches in TT.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/11/2014 at 2:19pm
Cybershape Carbon
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 2:23pm
the only problem with this style is that it's like in footbal/soccer when they throw the ball out for time to pass.
or in the nba when they did the hack-a-shaq

it's like no intention of playing whatsoever, just there to win a point, nothing else LOL
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 2:23pm
I wouldn't be happy just standing square or in a defensive position the whole time; however, you are right . . . it does point out "there are many ways of winning matches in TT." If I could use pips to set up my attack I would be happy . . . or attack with pips!

Edited by tommyzai - 03/11/2014 at 2:23pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 3:15pm

I wouldn't be happy just standing square or in a defensive position the whole time; however, you are right . . . it does point out "there are many ways of winning matches in TT." If I could use pips to set up my attack I would be happy . . . or attack with pips!

Attackers will make you move and yes, you can move and chop if you want to.  He does move - I am talking about his primary footwork - he is not a pushblocker, he attacks with his pips but because he is a backhand player, his stance is almost always backhand dominant, unlike most loopers.  He never sets up to use his forehand unless the ball pops up because it sucks.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/11/2014 at 3:16pm
Cybershape Carbon
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2014 at 10:28pm
I'm intrigued by this, and it may play into my strengths, which are quickness and quickness.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 5:15pm
Learn the basics with the limit of what you can control, which may take a few years, then when you have mastered footwork and stroke play, move up, but don't ever do it too soon.  ( 99% of players do and spend the rest of their TT careers frustrated, not knowing why)
The Older I get, The better I was.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Learn the basics with the limit of what you can control, which may take a few years, then when you have mastered footwork and stroke play, move up, but don't ever do it too soon.  ( 99% of players do and spend the rest of their TT careers frustrated, not knowing why)

APW46, please explain. I'm not sure I follow, but would like to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic